• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
CPUs haven't advanced since since Sandy Bridge really so you should be good for another couple of years.

Only thing i could see pushing CPUs in the next few years would be some advanced VR stuff.

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to an Intel i7 6930K next year, but only because the additional PCI-E lanes would allow me to run two Pascal cards in SLI at 16x and keep my 980 installed as a PhysX card at 8x (it's a little annoying when I have to choose between playable framerates via SLI and PhysX). I'm assuming Intel will still be locking 40 PCI-E lanes behind the enthusiast paywall, however that could finally come to an end if we're lucky (but who am I kidding).

One of my mates put together a 5820K system the other week. It'll be a long time before he needs to upgrade again, and just as well, too, since he'd been running an E6320 for about nine years.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot: I'd like the 6930K to have eight cores/16 threads rather than said configuration being limited to the ridiculously-priced 6960X. If my hope is misplaced, then I'll be waiting at least another generation.

Salsa

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to an Intel i7 6930K next year, but only because the additional PCI-E lanes would allow me to run two Pascal cards in SLI at 16x and keep my 980 installed as a PhysX card at 8x (it's a little annoying when I have to choose between playable framerates via SLI and PhysX). I'm assuming Intel will still be locking 40 PCI-E lanes behind the enthusiast paywall, however that could finally come to an end if we're lucky (but who am I kidding).

One of my mates put together a 5820K system the other week. It'll be a long time before he needs to upgrade again, and just as well, too, since he'd been running an E6320 for about nine years.

I realized my 680 is running at 8x like 3 days ago

guess I have to disable some sort of SLI-enabled thing on BIOS or something. I only have one card there but it aint running at 16x for some reason

btw; reason I realized it = apparently Wolfenstein TNO performance depends a lot on that, which is just fucking weird

Kyougar

Pachter - "The console installed base is as big as it's ever going to get"

Holy shit, consoles are going to have unlimited growth and will slaughter PCs and mobile. :(

Heh, now those consoleros know how it is when some "inferior device" is considered "good enough" for gaming and that they are only the few dedicated Console "Masterrace" people who dont understand that their unreasonable quest for higher standards is not what the majority of people want!

If the mass market thinks Settop box Graphic is "good enough" Than I ask our Console brethren! Where were they when Console graphics were considered "good enough!? Right! On the forefront! Holding the Flame bright into the sky!

Good night sweet prince. I hope you have someone like Valve who can save you.

(I wouldnt post this in that thread, I'm not suicidal. *rolleyes* )

derExperte

A 980 as a PhysX card? Why do Aussies complain about high prices when they're apparently swimming in dosh down there? Ripping them off is the reasonable thing to do.

Knurek

Oh god, this is amazing:
2764650-9576692197-TRbi2.jpg

Miff

Thought I had just broke my month old GTX 970, by trying to push my hard drive cage past some power cables. Now it wobbles in the slot when not screwed down. #ThatFeeling

Had a flash-forward of life without NepNep my Steam library.

Somehow it's still working. A celebration is in order.

JaseC

btw; reason I realized it = apparently Wolfenstein TNO performance depends a lot on that, which is just fucking weird

id Tech 5 not supporting SLI is very annoying. I hope that doesn't carry over to 6 (Doom 4).

A 980 as a PhysX card? Why do Aussies complain about high prices when they're apparently swimming in dosh down there? Ripping them off is the reasonable thing to do.

The 980 I already have. Even if I were a millionaire, I wouldn't buy one solely for PhysX.

JaseC

Keeping one has the same result as buying one, you're out of the money that the card is worth either way. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost

I'm not denying that I could make back a fair chunk of what I paid for it if I were to sell it after upgrading. I say "a fair chunk" rather than "most" since Pascal is ~nine months away at best and the card will be outside of the warranty period in six.

Salsa

I feel like im done upgrading for even a while more now but then I remember stuff like Deus Ex and my 2 gigs of vram

idk, I really don't feel like it. Maybe next year sometime on a trip (might be travelling to the US).

I feel like I play like 3 big AAA games that really push and demand, and 1 or 2 of those tend to still run fine on my rig

just doesnt feel as urgent as it was at one point

Spelunky gonna run forever

r3n4ud

Thought I had just broke my month old GTX 970, by trying to push my hard drive cage past some power cables. Now it wobbles in the slot when not screwed down. #ThatFeeling

Had a flash-forward of life without NepNep my Steam library.

Somehow it's still working. A celebration is in order.
Wonder if I'm the only one that reads your name as 'Milf' when you post.

derExperte

I'm not denying that I could make back a fair chunk of what I paid for it if I were to sell it after upgrading. I say "a fair chunk" rather than "most" since Pascal is ~nine months away at best and the card will be outside of the warranty period in six.

I mean do whatever you want but wasting a few hundred bucks, dealing with more heat and a higher power draw for how many PhysX games a year? In 2015 we had Arkham Knight and....? Witcher 3 afaik doesn't utilize a dedicated card and things won't get better from here on out.

Indeed an under-appreciated burn.

Shadownet

Banned
Finally finished Max Payne 3. Pretty good game with awesome shooting mechanics, but I'll be completely fine if I never have to hear another inner monologue again in my life.

Lain

Gotta make room to add more Sakura games.
By Sakura games, I mean Sakura Wars games. Wouldn't it be cool if we got Sakura Wars games on Steam?

Jawmuncher

Only interaction with Sakura Wars was from Project X Zone but their stuff was great including the music. God damn Project X Zone was so good.

L.O.R.D

Only interaction with Sakura Wars was from Project X Zone but their stuff was great including the music. God damn Project X Zone was so good.

me too , after playing Project X Zone , i went looking for Sakura Wars media
i loved the sound track , they have anime series too
the gameplay ... have ...
well, its a dating game + SRPG

Ozium

I see Adventurezator left early access, so now I need to play it too. So how that inception part works exactly? Or nobody have played it yet?

edited:
guys, do you remember Reset? It suddenly appeared on greenlight

I played a little and the only inception type thing is in the intro where someone that looks like Tim Schafer is making a game and then it pans out to other people making a game about tim schafer making a game and then it pans out to the cia making a game about some people making a game about tim schafer making a game etc.

then the gam starts and it's like a cute little adventure game starring a pig and the developer talks to you

and you can make your own adventure gamez or some shit

got good reviews

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Enter the Dragon Punch, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Enter the Dragon Punch, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Mad Max -- MB-A61559D3DE7FA43B - Taken by Dongs Macabre. 69 entrants total.

t1442877712z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom