• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
Depends on what you want from it.
A protagonist that doesn't talk like a teenager that loves Linkin Park and just discovered metaphors? As well as great shooting gameplay?
Nope. Max Payne 2 is one of the GOAT's in terms of gameplay.
It isn't even close to the tight shooting mechanics in 3

Max Payne 3 doesn't have shitty platforming sections or rely on outdated 90s game design that forces you to use quick saves to circumvent enemy monster closets. If you also like exaggerated NOIR in capital levels from people with no understanding of subtlety(see Alan Wake) than you will be disappointed as well I guess. Not that Rockstar is better in that regard by any means.

Max Payne 3 is a much better shooter with encounters that are a lot more enjoyable to play through. The unskippable cutscenes are a major complaint for subsequent playthroughs but I don't really care about the supposed "destruction" of the other two game's silly themes.
This!

Max Payne 3 doesn't have shitty platforming sections or rely on outdated 90s game design that forces you to use quick saves to circumvent enemy monster closets. If you also like exaggerated NOIR in capital levels from people with no understanding of subtlety(see Alan Wake) than you will be disappointed as well I guess. Not that Rockstar is better in that regard by any means.

Max Payne 3 is a much better shooter with encounters that are a lot more enjoyable to play through. The unskippable cutscenes are a major complaint for subsequent playthroughs but I don't really care about the supposed "destruction" of the other two game's silly themes.

So it's a good game if it wasn't called Max Payne then. I am not saying it's a bad game. I am saying it's a bad Max Payne game.

I don't even have a typical fondness for 1 and 2 myself but 3 is a different thing entirely from those other ones.

A protagonist that doesn't talk like a teenager that loves Linkin Park and just discovered metaphors?

Yeah, that's Max Payne.

Blu(e)

No.
Hell no.
Noooooooooooooooooooo way.
Yeah you're right, RE6 deserves that crown. Or Vanquish depending on the weather.
I know people get hung up on the story mode in RE6, but man does the gameplay shine brightly in Mercs

Edit: I can't help Thief guy though.

So it's a good game if it wasn't called Max Payne then.
It plays like a Max Payne game(1, 2 and 3 all have slight differences in slow motion) and features the same character going through the same motions. Tonally similar as well even if they take a different approach to narrative structure. The two relatively long Jersey sections of the game feel like they could have come out of the older games if you think being a Max Payne game requires DARKNESS. If anything I feel like Max Payne 3 fits in quite well. He fucked up at the end of 2 and is now doing the only thing he can elsewhere and regretting his choices all the while.

My one complaint about 3 is I wish it had more direct npc interaction. Throughout the entire game you can explore the environment and come across interesting things but NPCs are exclusively in cutscenes. Ie, the traveler you come across three times throughout the game whereas in Max Payne 1 and 2 you'd come across non-combatants while roaming.

And Resident Evil 6 and Vanquish are more interesting, involved shooters but none of them have the same punch that Max Payne 3's combat has with a mouse. The animation system in that game is truly incredible and makes replaying battles feel fresh every time. I've never played any other game eight times before.

Nabs

Street Fighter V recommended PC specs:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/haunts/blog/2015/09/22/street-fighter-v-pc-spec-recommendations

Hey PC users, we’ve received quite a few questions regarding what specs are necessary to run SFV on PC. Today, we’re happy to provide both the minimum and recommended specs.

Just so there’s no confusion, the minimum specs are what is required for SFV to even run on your PC while the recommended specs (in bold) are necessary to achieve an optimal SFV experience.

OS Version

Recommended: Windows 7 64-bit

Processor

Minimum: Intel Core i3-4160 @ 3.60GHz
Recommended: Intel Core i5-4690K @3.50GHz

Memory

Minimum: 6 GB DDR3
Recommended: 8 GB DDR3

Graphics

Minimum: Nvidia GTX 480 (or higher)
Nvidia GTX 570 (or higher)p
Nvidia GTX 670 (or higher)
Recommended: GTX 960

Network

Broadband Connection Required

DirectX Version

Minimum: DirectX 11
Recommended: DirectX 11
Sound Card

Minimum: DirectX compatible soundcard or onboard chipset

So there you have it folks, the minimum and recommended SFV PC specs! Also, keep in mind Street Fighter V will support Steamworks as well!

Complaining about a lack subtlety while praising MP3 in the same post. Now I've seen it all, humanity is over.
I'm not complaining about a lack of subtlety in the older games. I'm just saying the hamfisted noir overtones and constant darkness without any contrast that people go crazy for were never interesting and are still present in 3 in a more subdued sense. 1, 2, and 3 are all silly in their own ways. At the end of the day the gameplay is why I enjoy them though and that's where Max Payne 3 shines. Insane variety in locations and player models that is only possible because of Rockstar's endless budget.

3 definitely is less fantastical although again that just shows Max Payne 1's mismash of a thousand things. And it'll never happen but it would be interesting for Rockstar or someone else to figure out exactly why Max Payne 3's loading works like it does. I feel like GTA V let you skip cutscenes without too many issues. If it was just a matter of rockstar wanting you to watch their cutscenes and not a technical issue than you'd think someone would have found a way around it on the pc by now.

Well guess Ill actually need a new graphics card then...

Everything else on their I meet the recommended but ugh everything is recommending a GTX 960 or equivalent as of late or rather becoming more of a standard.

Need to see how it would run on a R9 270 (my card). Then again I barely even play fighting games in fullscreen so maybe I can get away with it.

I care more about my framerate than the resolution any day.

Sober

A bunch of places off Steam are selling GTA5 for 20% off. Looks like that's the best you'll get. Maybe 33% during the winter sale or even not until the summer sale next year.

Jawmuncher

What, exactly, are you trying to do?

Just trying to install Windows 10. When I try the regular ways it's just fucking hangs at Making sure you're ready to install *this will take a few minutes.* Please Wait

It sat there for hours, then before that when I was about to start I got an error. Then when I tried to use the installer from disc it asked me for a product code. I'm on the verge of breaking and just giving up for the next few years.

Nothing pisses me off more than something that says "doing a quick check" or "will be a few minutes" and it goes extremely beyond that.

Jawmuncher

There is no way to circumvent that?

Can't think of too many Capcom games that get bundled with cards.

I have tried every single way I can think of. What's worse is I'm stuck on part 1. Haven't even gotten the new HDD in there yet.

God damn I'm not that bad with computers but this makes me question things. Especially when we give shit about PC ignorance about others. Some of that shit stands when I'm dealing with stuff like this.

Stupid questions

1. Are you upgrading the same Windows bit version?
2. When it asks you for product key, is there no 'skip' option?

Yes I have Windows 7 pro 64 bit. Trying to go to Windows 10 pro 64 bit. There was no option to skip only back and greyed out forward.

Turfster

Just trying to install Windows 10. When I try the regular ways it's just fucking hangs at Making sure you're ready to install *this will take a few minutes.*
This sounds vaguely familiar.
Do you have any kind of antivirus installed/active at the moment (even windows defender)?

The one on my HTPC stopped the installer from editing files it was downloading.

There is no way to circumvent that?
Even when you use the circumvention method with the media creation tool, it redownloads the entire fucking thing every time you start it.

Jawmuncher

This sounds vaguely familiar.
Do you have any kind of antivirus installed/active at the moment (even windows defender)?

The one on my HTPC stopped the installer from editing files it was downloading.

Only thing I have is Windows defender
Which I have turned off now

Anastasia

All this MP talk is reminding me I was going to play 1 and 2. I got them during a Steam sale but haven't started them yet. I played 1 when I was a kid but that was 900 years ago. Is there anything I should download (like patches or whatever) or anything important to keep in mind before playing them?

A79MCuJ.png

AHA-Lambda

Hmm, not really feeling Soma much so far =/

The mystery of the story and the atmosphere are both pretty good so far, but it's not really very scary at all.
Plus it's got the same problem I found with Amnesia where it's not really clear at times where you're meant to be going and you just sort of aimlessly wander until you stumble upon the right thing.

It's funny how Frictional's first and least talked about game, Penumbra, is still by far my favourite one.

zkylon

zkylewd
MP3 sucks because instead of being pulp noir it's a shitty tony scott movie from the 00s

but i suppose it plays well
pretty much

it's got none of the charm or flair of the cool max payne games, instead it manages to be trashy and pretentious at the same time lol

also yea vanquish is prolly best shooter ever

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Honestly, it's what $2? If you can deal with the cutscenes and slow walking, I mean, $2.
The real cost are twelve hours of your life.
No refunds.
it's got none of the charm or flair of the cool max payne games, instead it manages to be trashy and pretentious at the same time lol
You gotta admit, that's pretty impressive.

All this MP talk is reminding me I was going to play 1 and 2. I got them during a Steam sale but haven't started them yet. I played 1 when I was a kid but that was 900 years ago. Is there anything I should download (like patches or whatever) or anything important to keep in mind before playing them?
Either the first or the second game has major audio issues that are a complete pain in the ass to solve if I remember. Hopefully you don't run into that :3

abracadaver

Stay away from Afro Samurai 2

This is a really bad sequel to Afro Samurai 1. Everything is way worse. After 50 minutes I have already completed 7 of the 11(?) chapters.

It's not like the first Afro Samurai was a particularly amazing game. It looked nice but had about as much depth to its combat as Killer 7 or No More Heroes. Really shallow mash-y combat that makes DmC or Enslaved looked nuanced and deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom