• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I shall keep this in mind. Thanks!
Also, look for a proper widescreen patch for both games in the steam forums or web at large. Don't think it was ever patched in.

Hottest release of 2015 is now out, Office 2016! Let's all edit a document together for a game night.

Jawmuncher

Wait how am I even going to install Windows 10 on a new HDD if I can't get boot media to work? I hate this so much. The X51 was a mistake.

abracadaver

Wow, what a bummer. Surprising given the first game was hardly a masterpiece.

I really liked Afro Samurai back then.

The sequel is awful so far. Blood effects suck. I'm not sure if you can even die in this game. I just mash X until the enemies die, there don't seem to be any combos. Also I have not seen the focus mode yet (that lets you dismember the enemies wherever you want). Truly dissapointing game.

The only way the previous Max Payne games can be called Pulp Noir is if you meant it literally beat the Noir genre to a pulp.

It's pulp noir in that it's trashy red edged paper cheap dime store pulpy noir.

wikipedia said:
Whereas film noir directly involves characters living bleak existences to accomplish a goal with odds against them, pulp noir often portrays a grittier, one-man army. Typically, the main character has no distinguishing abilities, but can hold ground against seemingly impossible odds. Pulp noir locations are often seedy, run-down and degradated urban landscapes, where the lack of law, morals and even the proliferation of crime and drugs are common themes. Another common trend in pulp noir is the glorification and/or demonization of its urban locations.

i mean Max Payne is textbook pulp noir yo

And Max Payne 3 fits right into that vague, opened ended definition. Case closed! Or not because it doesn't entirely take place at 2 AM in a back alley.

The sequel is awful so far. Blood effects suck. I'm not sure if you can even die in this game. I just mash X until the enemies die, there don't seem to be any combos. Also I have not seen the focus mode yet (that lets you dismember the enemies wherever you want). Truly dissapointing game.

Damn, that sucks. Thanks for informing.

r3n4ud

I had high hopes for this game. I really enjoyed the first :(

Thanks for the impressions.

max payne 3 literally starts you off at a swag brazillian party up high in a sweet pad with well to do socialities and there's daylight everywhere.

that's like the opposite of pulp noir.

Also, they made him a shittier character in MP3 and i got that from just the first few internal monologues in the game. He just kinda sucks.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
1jbhIbT.jpg

SC2VN - The eSports Visual Novel

Turfster

Wait how am I even going to install Windows 10 on a new HDD if I can't get boot media to work? I hate this so much. The X51 was a mistake.

Microsoft are dickwads that don't let you reuse your old key to do fresh installs of windows 10.
If you can install it over another one, you can sort of grab a new windows 10 key you should be able to use to install it, but...
it's a fucking roundabout, "fuck you consumer" way.

derExperte

No mods make MP3 instantly inferior. There's some great stuff available for the first two. Don't get me wrong, I still liked 3 and it remains the best Rockstar game since Vice City but it's too bloated to ever consider replaying it. Meanwhile I could go for another playthrough of 2, its main problem (too short) has become a strength in hindsight.

Jawmuncher

Microsoft are dickwads that don't let you reuse your old key to do fresh installs of windows 10.
If you can install it over another one, you can sort of grab a new windows 10 key you should be able to use to install it, but...
it's a fucking roundabout, "fuck you consumer" way.

Windows 10 saves itself to the mobo and account right? So that if a new HDD is in there it'll be ok right? If I can ever get to that point.

MUnited83

For you.
max payne 3 literally starts you off at a swag brazillian party up high in a sweet pad with well to do socialities and there's daylight everywhere.

Also, they made him a shittier character in MP3 and i got that from just the first few internal monologues in the game. He just kinda sucks.
pulp noir often portrays a grittier, one-man army. Typically, the main character has no distinguishing abilities, but can hold ground against seemingly impossible odds. Pulp noir locations are often seedy, run-down and degradated urban landscapes, where the lack of law, morals and even the proliferation of crime and drugs are common themes. Another common trend in pulp noir is the glorification and/or demonization of its urban locations.
Literally everything in this description is in MP3

Just going by your wiki link two thirds of the game has you on your own(against impossible odds) in an urban environment full of corruption and drugs laid out with Rockstar's typical subtlety.

Literally everything in this description is in MP3
But you spend time at a party for 20 minutes of a 12 hour game. Not noir bro.

MUnited83

For you.
No mods make MP3 instantly inferior. There's some great stuff available for the first two. Don't get me wrong, I still liked 3 and it remains the best Rockstar game since Vice City but it's too bloated to ever consider replaying it. Meanwhile I could go for another playthrough of 2, its main problem (too short) has become a strength in hindsight.
There's mods for 3 too, but yeah, mostly cosmetic ones.

You can always replay the stages you like via the arcade mode. The only stage I'd consider poor in Max Payne 3 is the docks and they've since patched it. Used to be broken because the ladders didn't work so falling into the water at the end meant instant death.

Shantom

Humble Total War Bundle added SHOGUN 2 Collection and Napoleon Collection. Thats pretty awesome no?

I'm surprised they kept Shogun 2 for the 2nd week, since it's probably the best TW for newcomers, and still expensive on Steam. You'd think they'd want that in from the start.

There's nothing urban about how MP3 starts. But i've also only played like 30 minutes of it so maybe the rest of the game takes place at night in dark alleys and homes in the projects with a mix of nasty drug issues and corruption everywhere

maybe it's just not good at it because it tries for film noir instead of pulp noir but kinda flops around and doesn't really do a good job at either

Or maybe you played thirty minutes and have no idea what you're talking about. The funniest thing about the wiki snippet you copy pasted is it describes Max Payne 3 to a t.

Or maybe you played thirty minutes and have no idea what you're talking about. The funniest thing about the wiki snippet you copy pasted is it describes Max Payne 3 to a t.

I'll come back to this argument when i finish the game but i already know that I wont like how the story is told compared to MP and MP2. It's the main reason i turned it off after 30 minutes in the first place

what im saying is that you win for now but prepare yourself cause imma coming

the main thing it tries for is ripping off Man on Fire

i know, that's why i referred to it as a bad imitation of a crappy 00s tony scott film. It's almost immediately apparent

Sober

I'm surprised they kept Shogun 2 for the 2nd week, since it's probably the best TW for newcomers, and still expensive on Steam. You'd think they'd want that in from the start.
All the total war games are absolutely terrible at teaching newcomers how to play (I've played each one from M2 onwards), it's just that accidentally, Shogun 2's tutorial is the best.

KingKong

There's nothing urban about how MP3 starts. But i've also only played like 30 minutes of it so maybe the rest of the game takes place at night in dark alleys and homes in the projects with a mix of nasty drug issues and corruption everywhere

maybe it's just not good at it because it tries for film noir instead of pulp noir but kinda flops around and doesn't really do a good job at either

the main thing it tries for is ripping off Man on Fire

I'll come back to this argument when i finish the game but i already know that I wont like how the story is told compared to MP and MP2. It's the main reason i turned it off after 30 minutes in the first place

what im saying is that you win for now but prepare yourself cause imma coming
I'll be ready :p Just keep your definition in mind as you play and be surprised.

Anyone have a spare Max Payne 1 copy/key lying around? Would like to play the whole trilogy back to back. I could pay a Dollar.

Honestly, it's what $2? If you can deal with the cutscenes and slow walking, I mean, $2.
Wer den Groschen nicht ehrt, ist des Talers nicht wert.

Two bucks can get you several great games in bundles. Nothing to scoff at.
All this MP talk is reminding me I was going to play 1 and 2. I got them during a Steam sale but haven't started them yet. I played 1 when I was a kid but that was 900 years ago. Is there anything I should download (like patches or whatever) or anything important to keep in mind before playing them?
So tales of magical 1000 year old witches were true?!
:p

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Owys -- MB-7EDC5142F2BE1776 - Taken by madjoki
Skyflower -- MB-6ED6731CC2855359 - Taken by Mikurden
Divide By Sheep -- MB-A240143871D2A07B - Taken by Maniac
Gunslugs -- MB-0084F6357C6CF1CF - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Oscura: Lost Light -- MB-1501D9DFAB529841 - Taken by Purkake4

Khronico

Can't seem to purchase the MP3 complete pack on nuuvem. I'm using a vpn but it keeps telling me I can't purchase the game from my region (happens after the paypal login).

I mean if I can't buy that version I guess I can get the vanilla version but still, kinda sucks.

KingKong

I replayed all three Max Paynes not too long ago and Max Payne 3 is clearly the best one. I don't think MP1 is even worth playing nowadays and MP2 would be great if it didn't have all those gimmick sections

Momentary

Banned
do you mean acclaimed Hacknet? Although that was rather long ago already.

or do you mean Hacker's Beat. I don't think it was posted in here yet.

It's like a top-down adventure game and it looks crazy with all the colors and what not. You go around talking to people and activating kiosks and stuff. The end of the trailer had you playing pong and hacking the hi-score.

So it's a good game if it wasn't called Max Payne then. I am not saying it's a bad game. I am saying it's a bad Max Payne game.

I don't even have a typical fondness for 1 and 2 myself but 3 is a different thing entirely from those other ones.

Yeah, that's Max Payne.

Max Payne is about shoot-outs that ape John Woo movies. ALL you do in those games is shoot people, and that's all they can be judged on in any meaningful way. If you like the Goofy mish-mash of Emo-noir/Norse stuff in 1& 2, good on you, but it's not objectively enjoyable/good and if someone (me) doesn't like it, it does those games no favors. It's tangential to gameplay.

MP3's shootouts are leagues ahead of the past games — as they should be — and is above about any other TPS out there. If it weren't for the intrusive cutscenes, it would be a game I replay forever. Hopefully a current/next-gen game furthers what 3 did right, because it was the greatest thing I've experienced in a shooter in ages.

Well, it's closer to

Hmm hmm hm-

Hmm h-

Hmm hmm hmm, hm-

A mod to make it one continuous hum while she's targeting would be super.

I think she stops and starts over when she loses line-of-sight on an enemy.

Uzzy

All these gaming discussions become sorta meaningless after witnessing football history.
#LEWANDOWSKI5GOALS9MINUTES

I saw a facebook post saying he had scored three, and by the time I found a way to watch the game he was knocking in his fifth. Insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom