• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmarg

I would be excited if not roguelike part, I liked Reus well enough, even if it had shortcomings, but roguelike obsession is ever worse than Tower Defence was at this point.

There are barely any roguelikes coming out. This is part of the problem with people affixing the term to basically any game they feel like. There are a few games coming out with procedural generation and/or a permanent death mechanic (and lately the trend has been to dumb that down to the point of being almost entirely vestigial).

They're not bad; they'd just have long load times, but otherwise are the SNES ver.

I know, as a EU peasant the PSX version of FF VI was the first one I played. It's okay, but it definitely makes the experience worse. Loading times when entering a menu -- really?

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
TgpcCK0.jpg

Overfall

Durante

want some numbers? Final Fantasy V bombed big time - owners 7,757 ± 2,121, Userscore: 68%.
It's about time S-E stops getting rewarded for their consistently mediocre (at best) PC output.

The sad part is that TLR was a much better PC version than anything they've released since.

Tizoc

I know, as a EU peasant the PSX version of FF VI was the first one I played. It's okay, but it definitely makes the experience worse. Loading times when entering a menu -- really?

My understanding is that PSOne's handling of 2D games came down to how much effort the publisher/dev into the game, that or how the game's code was designed.

Arthea

OK, I give up, you don't want it, period.
I still will buy FF6 if it's ever released and even replay it on steam. I plan to replay FF5 too, that's why I bought it.

There are barely any roguelikes coming out. This is part of the problem with people affixing the term to basically any game they feel like. There are a few games coming out with procedural generation and/or a permanent death mechanic (and lately the trend has been to dumb that down to the point of being almost entirely vestigial).

I don't think arguing about semantics does anything here, OK these are not roguelikes, but roguelitelikeish games, they are still everywhere literally, half of games released are of this type, not that I counted, but yeah, I wish it wasn't so trendy these days.

L.O.R.D

Megaman, Cloud Strife but whose that third guy? Kid Icarus?

beck , Gunvolt and Ekoro

Play as one of three characters: Gunvolt, the star of Azure Striker GUNVOLT; Ekoro, an angel from Japan's Gal*Gun series; or Beck, the hero of Mighty No. 9. Each character possesses unique skills that will allow players to keep challenging each stage in new and creative ways!

=======================================

CQDzlf5WEAAaLEb.jpg

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
My understanding is that PSOne's handling of 2D games came down to how much effort the publisher/dev into the game, that or how the game's code was designed.

Well the way 2D PS1 games are made are by throwing sprite textures onto a 3D surface since it wasn't made to handle native 2D games well. (This is also the reason SotN runs like shit on the Saturn because it doesn't handle 3D games as well.)

tmarg

I don't think arguing about semantics does anything here, OK these are not roguelikes, but roguelitelikeish games, they are still everywhere literally, half of games released are of this type, not that I counted, but yeah, I wish it wasn't so trendy these days.

They are a fairly diverse group of games that use a couple of mechanics that you don't like. They aren't a genre at all. And we'd have more success discussing them if we could talk about why those mechanics work in some games but not others, instead of trying to bundle them all up together and affix an increasingly inaccurate label.

Lmao, that yesterdays Valve thread is going to places

Valve has traded their fantastic reputation for the chance to make as much money as possible *right now.*

I don't even think of them as a game developer anymore - they're just "the company that manages Steam."

Seriously. I think they're possibly the most disappointing "fall from grace" in the last decade of video gaming.

Also: Kojima is worshipped not because of his writing skills, but because of his vision.

Arthea

They are a fairly diverse group of games that use a couple of mechanics that you don't like. They aren't a genre at all. And we'd have more success discussing them if we could talk about why those mechanics work in some games but not others, instead of trying to bundle them all up together and affix an increasingly inaccurate label.

but I don't like permadeath, especially if enough of a progress doesn't carry over in any way, so yeah, I don't like what's essentially part of all of them, that's why I mentioned it at all, it has nothing to do with a genre, but everything with new Reus devs game. I didn't intend to talk about roguelikes and roguelites and roguelitelikeish games at all.

Hektor

Kojima is a guy who still cares about making good games despite him also beeing a story-teller and the industries awful focus on "cinematic experiences", so thats a thumps-up for him in my book.

Chariot

Kojima is a guy who still cares about making good games despite him also beeing a story-teller and the industries awful focus on "cinematic experiences", so thats a thumps-up for him in my book.
Still. Should've have someone else to manage and write.

The funny thing is with the shift to cinematic games the industry has unfortunately found itself in. I think it’s made people realise just how mechanical and fun Kojima’s games were. In my opinion anyway, but I always knew how great they were :D

Nah, they aren't, I'm not even a fan of MGS, I still think that Kojima is a fun guy and a good dev, and he deserves that reputation he've got.
They were obviously talking about his reputation as a storyteller that people see him as (and himself). I can tell he's got great enthusiasm in writing and directing stories, but he's not as good as he thinks.

Tizoc

True dat, his game ideas are great, but his stories end up being Otaku fanwank ish.

Arthea

Chariot

should I remind you that MGS4 is only game that it's twice GOTY? Is it really so hard to comprehend that people like his writing? And I know quite a few people that do, including on gaf.
It's not hard to comprehend, but I lool at MGSV and it's a bit of a mess. Of course he was cut short by Konami, but I am confidend that he had deadlines he should've planned for.

should I remind you that MGS4 is only game that it's twice GOTY? Is it really so hard to comprehend that people like his writing? And I know quite a few people that do, including on gaf.

MGS4 is pretty much fan fiction though. I'm a huge MGS fan and at the time I thought the game was amazing. But that's only because it's fan service to the highest degree. It still has its high points but the writing is garbage in that game. Snake Eater is still the GOAT.

Arthea

It's not hard to comprehend, but I lool at MGSV and it's a bit of a mess. Of course he was cut short by Konami, but I am confidend that he had deadlines he should've planned for.

if I was to speculate what happened, Kojima probably went way over the budget, that not only got MGSV butchered but he was fired too. Not that I know, it just seems plausible explanation.

I still don't get why Konami tried to erase him, that seems like overkill, unless he spent all their money. He could, couldn't he?

Dr Dogg

Just checked my profile page for the first time in ages and I seem to have lost 1 game and 32 items of DLC going by the counts on there. That's going to be a fucker to track down exactly what's changed.

I can definitely relate to this.

I think number 3 is quite popular with some folks in here and their Steam accounts.

Tizoc

well, that came as a surprise
to no one

I wanted it to be good =/

yuraya

Kojima has given 28 years of excellence to this industry. Smh at all the people hating on him.

A new low for the shameful outrage culture.

Jawmuncher

Kojima has given 28 years of excellence to this industry. Smh at all the people hating on him.

A new low for the shameful outrage culture.

He failed me with MGS4. I appreciate his prior work such as MGS1-3 and ZoE. Doesn't mean I can't give him shit for his later efforts. Though I do like MGSV more than 4 and would still say it's my GOTY at the moment.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
He failed me with MGS4. I appreciate his prior work such as MGS1-3 and ZoE. Doesn't mean I can't give him shit for his later efforts. Though I do like MGSV more than 4 and would still say it's my GOTY at the moment.

I still don't know why people credit Kojima for ZOE when it's under Murata's direction he might have been heading ZOE3 when it was alive but other than that I'm confused.

That being said I live MGSV it's probably my least favorite game by Kojipuffs though.

Jawmuncher

I still don't know why people credit Kojima for ZOE when it's under Murata's direction he might have been heading ZOE3 when it was alive but other than that I'm confused.

That being said I live MGSV it's probably my least favorite game by Kojipuffs though.

I thought he did one and someone else handled 2? Oh well the power of having your name on the box. Still find it funny that everyone had no issues with MGS4 but it was V where everyone went "wait a minute"

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
My GOTY is Undertale and I don't really have any other follow ups since I genuinely like that game a ton and haven't felt that way about any other game released this year. I guess number 2 would be Life is Strange or Bloodborne though.

Arthea

this industry is on its last legs

I keep telling that for years now, it still somehow survives, it has to be totally indies fault.

My GOTY is Undertale and I don't really have any other follow ups since I genuinely like that game a ton and haven't felt that way about any other game released this year. I guess number 2 would be Life is Strange or Bloodborne though.

Is it really this good? Undertale I mean. I'm wary of that much of praise, seems fishy.
so what's so good about it? no spoilers, please, in case I'll decide to play it.

We all know Clicker Heroes is going to end up SteamGAF GOTY.

That's weird way to spell Trails SC.

ya, I'm totally doing this mojo thing with this, for it to be released this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom