• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
but if Hitman bombs are we really going to see those extra downloadable missions though?

The whole thing seems to be some sort of experiment in releasing half a game and hoping that enough money comes in to justify producing the other half. i find it to be troubling and a sign that SE does not have enough confidence in the product to fully greenlight a whole game.

That's why this whole thing has been sounding fishy to me since they announced this game.

jediyoshi

goddamn

ss_be92fb5c72ccf338ecc857326c48468208699e2d.600x338.jpg

ss_18088c9418ce574e0934e9b5dcaa1735a3a33e97.600x338.jpg

ss_2e2724095cd40aec57288d73ca824c23728acd32.600x338.jpg

dex3108

It's not really Early Access though unless you consider Telltale games or Life is Strange to be early access.

Hitman is not Episodic game they just wont release all content at once. Same as EA games. They just want to get some money early. And i really think that they wanted to release only Paris level this December but "backslash" was too strong so they moved release to include more levels.

Hektor

It's not really Early Access though unless you consider Telltale games or Life is Strange to be early access.

Those are episodic games, but didnt they refuse to call hitman an episode game too?

but if Hitman bombs are we really going to see those extra downloadable missions though?

Never thought about that, but thats really a good question.

Six is plenty.

All other Hitman games had far more, if we're just going by the numbers. And thats basically all we have as of now.

Each mission is quite long, though. I'm pretty sure that from impressions and the size of the alpha (only one mission) that these 3 locations and six missions are probably bigger than Absolution. (And better)

Do we really now that the missions are "quite long"?

Granjinha

The whole thing seems to be some sort of experiment in releasing half a game and hoping that enough money comes in to justify producing the other half. i find it to be troubling and a sign that SE does not have enough confidence in the product to fully greenlight a whole game.

If they go back on what they said and face a huge backlash due to straight up lying to consumers, then sure, maybe we won't see the rest.

Doubt they would do that, though.

Hitman is not Episodic game they just wont release all content at once. Same as EA games. They just want to get some money early. And i really think that they wanted to release only Paris level this December but "backslash" was too strong so they moved release to include more levels.

Not the same as EA at all. EA are not only content incomplete but have a lot of balancing and bug issues. This supposedly doesn't.

All other Hitman games had far more, if we're just going by the numbers. And thats basically all we have as of now.

It's not that simple. Sure, Absolution had 18. But they were really limited and small.

And from the alpha impressions of the Paris level, we do. People played that for 10 hours + and still didn't find everything or couldn't get the best rank.

MUnited83

For you.
Blood money had 12, so did Contracts. Absolution had 20 but they were all much shorter. Six seems way too few.
six is not the final number, just what the early access will launch with. Seems pretty reasonable to me, and it will be quite probably longer and have more content than Blood Money at that point.

They are not "extra". They are coming regardless.

Nzyme32

Really bad idea to take this out of context - the tweets that followed have actually made this a much more appealing offer.

The cost of the game is reduced for initial content which they now outline, with an upgrade pricing available should you wish to continue. They also outlined what is to come with that, so people can decide with some context at the least, while also having the option to simply forgo the full price till it is done.

Obviously it still makes more sense to just not bother at those prices, and wait for the full thing to drop

Here is how Hitman release and content looks like

Not impressed.

at least that infographic really clears things up.

I still have Blood Money and Absolution to play so i have time to see if this new release is worthwhile. But you gotta admit this is a funky way to release what will eventually be a $60 release.

dex3108

Not the same as EA at all. EA are not only content incomplete but have a lot of balancing and bug issues. This supposedly doesn't.

They will balance weapons and levels that is why there is no 6 locations at launch. They will take feedback and fix things. And you can be sure that it won't be bug free experience especially when they release new map updates. So yes this is more like EA game than Episodic game.

And i don't like pricing at all. So you decide to support them and be careful and pay them 35$ for Early Access and what you get? You get to pay another 30$ if you want all, and people who wait pay 5$ less.

They will balance weapons and levels that is why there is no 6 locations at launch. They will take feedback and fix things. And you can be sure that it won't be bug free experience especially when they release new map updates. So yes this is more like EA game than Episodic game.

That's just based on a number of assumptions on your part. Best if everyone just waits until it's released then make judgements.

Hektor

Here is how Hitman release and content looks like

Not impressed.

Sounds like Main game + Season Pass

It's not that simple. Sure, Absolution had 18. But they were really limited and small.

And from the alpha impressions of the Paris level, we do. People played that for 10 hours + and still didn't find everything or couldn't get the best rank.

But those 10 hours mean that they've played the same mission multiple times, experimenting with the possibilities, right? And 6 missions on 3 locations means that we're gonna play the same map in different missions, doesnt it? That sounds like they're just making a bigger ground zeroes.

I dont know if im to keen on that.

This release is so unnecessary complicated.

MUnited83

For you.
Its not complicated at all And people had all the information they needed released by the devs shortly after the game was announced.
Those are episodic games, but didnt they refuse to call hitman an episode game too?

Never thought about that, but thats really a good question.

Six missions is not the final number, just the early access one. Regardless, its going to be longer than Blood Money even with those 6

Ludens

Banned
I can see the future.

I buy the intro lack on sale to try the game out, then Square never discounts the DLC, only the full-priced package.
Nah, it's a SE title, it will be in a 1$ Humble Bundle soon. The "no discount" policy is for FF games only, no matter how "good" is the port, each FF is worth full price for SE.

Granjinha

I can see the future.

I buy the intro lack on sale to try the game out, then Square never discounts the DLC, only the full-priced package.

But it's not DLC. The new content will be free.

Sounds like Main game + Season Pass

But those 10 hours mean that they've played the same mission multiple times, experimenting with the possibilities, right? And 6 missions on 3 locations means that we're gonna play the same map in different missions, doesnt it? That sounds like they're just making a bigger ground zeroes.

I dont know if im to keen on that.

This release is so unnecessary complicated.

Don't know, pretty sure i've read that some people took around 5 hours (or more) to finish the mission one time.

Grief.exe

Its not complicated at all Abd people had all the informativo they needed released by the devs shortly after the game was announced.
Six missions is not the final number, just the early access one. Regardless, its going to be longer than Blood Money even with those 6

I'm currently operating under the theory that gamers are incapable of reading. You are giving them way too much credit.

But it's not DLC. The new content will be free

Are we not looking at the same information?

Ludens

Banned
Don't know, pretty sure i've read that some people took around 5 hours (or more) to finish the mission one time.

This reminds me the "TPP is 200 times bigger than GZ thing, I'm afraid of players not able to complete it.".

But it's not DLC. The new content will be free.

Well, it really depends from the pack you buy. If you buy the complete experience (60$/60€ one) you get all contents, if you buy the Intro, you get six missions and you need to buy the remaining in a second moment. Those are DLCs only if you take the complete package. Think about it like a TellTale game, it's the same thing.

This reminds me the "TPP is 200 times bigger than GZ thing, I'm afraid of players not able to complete it.".

well they weren't completely wrong. I spent almost 80 hours with TPP and that's with a 55% completion rate. I finished GZ in 100 minutes and never felt the urge to keep playing. most folks go deep into the 100s to get 100% so that figure isn't too off. And i imagine when that statement was made they had more game planned out, too.

Here's the thing: if youre releasing new maps like a month after launch and they're supposedly huge and filled to the brim with content then the odds are that you might just be intentionally holding content to make your weird pricing model work. because that stuff takes a ton of time to make and i doubt it's being wrapped up in that extra month or so.

Granjinha

I'm currently operating under the theory that gamers are incapable of reading. You are giving them way too much credit.

Are we not looking at the same information?

Yeah, sorry, read quickly and misinterpreted what you said.

That's not what i'm saying at all, though. lol

Also, TPP is huge. Kojima wasn't really wrong on that.

Ludens

Banned
well they weren't completely wrong. I spent almost 80 hours with TPP and that's with a 55% completion rate. I finished GZ in 100 minutes and never felt the urge to keep playing. most folks go deep into the 100s to get 100% so that figure isn't too off. And i imagine when that statement was made they had more game planned out, too.

I spent 101 hours on the game too, with 85% completion at the moment. It was only to state how generally those statements....well, they are not always too true.
EDIT: TPP is huge because you do the same thing 768 times, so you visit each location 563 times. They could just create random generated side-ops and claim the game is infinite.

Granjinha

Here's the thing: if youre releasing new maps like a month after launch and they're supposedly huge and filled to the brim with content then the odds are that you might just be intentionally holding content to make your weird pricing model work. because that stuff takes a ton of time to make and i doubt it's being wrapped up in that extra month or so.

An extra month makes a huge difference for polish, though. I doubt that most content isn't near ready by now, but 30 extra days do matter. And, by their words, the delay wasn't necessarily for new content, but to polish the game.

Grief.exe

This reminds me the "TPP is 200 times bigger than GZ thing, I'm afraid of players not able to complete it.".trying

I spent 101 hours on the game too, with 85% completion at the moment. It was only to state how generally those statements....well, they are not always too true.

What is wrong with that statement?

The Phantom Pain is massively larger than Ground Zeroes in both playtime and area. Statistically, longer games are completed by significantly less players.

tuxfool

Banned

It is often the case that developers get quicker and better at making maps and content as development progresses. Then there should be more base assets available to use or re-appropriate for later maps.

There is also the presumption that they may have a lot of the content already made, just not in a shippable state.

KingKong

I'm sure IO Interactive and Square Enix have peoples best interests at heart. They're even doing their very best to guarantee BETA access if you preorder the full experience

Granjinha

Hey, one question. Is anyone on the Fable Legends Closed Beta? Are the surveys under NDA too?

I played it a bit this weekend and got a really interesting survey.

Ludens

Banned
What is wrong with that statement?

The Phantom Pain is massively larger than Ground Zeroes in both playtime and area. Statistically, longer games are completed by significantly less players.

Of course TPP is larger than GZ. And of course completing a 100 hours game is "harder" than completing a one hour prologue.

I only stated how software houses/PRs tend to exaggerate in order to sell their products.

i'd argue that if you had to release an infographic to properly convey your release schedule that, yes, you were doing a terrible job communicating the myriad ways in which consumers can receive your product.

MUnited83

For you.
i'd argue that if you had to release an infographic to properly convey your release schedule that, yes, you were doing a terrible job communicating the myriad ways in which consumers can receive your product.
Guess like Grief said: gamers can't read
I'm sure IO Interactive and Square Enix have peoples best interests at heart. They're even doing their very best to guarantee BETA access if you preorder the full experience

Well, duh, of course they want to sell the full game . thats kinda how it works with everyone in the business. You buy the whole game for cheaper and with more benefits if you buy it whole instead of separately. This has been true in capitalism forever.

And yes, IO interactive dead-set on delivering a great Hitman experience again and are actually taking fan feedback in and building the game around that instead of doing another Absolution . How is this a bad thing?

Guess like Grief said: gamers can't read

here was their extremely informative FAQ on Hitman a month after E3 2015. They literally tell you jack shit about what to expect from the initial launch

they started their own marketing campaign with "we swear we're going to release a bunch of things we promise" and it was unclear and vague for months after that. So confused in fact that they released an infographic to convey what the fuck they were trying to do.

whole thing has been a bit of a mess

tuxfool

Banned

It is a different mechanism than usual. So I don't blame consumers for being confused. However, I also don't see the fact that they needed a chart as an absolute negative. It is pretty clear what their intentions are.

Ludens

Banned
Anyway, why are you telling the full game is cheap?
It's priced exactly like other PC releases, 60$ (so probably 60€).
You spare 5€ only in the case you take the intro first and the other 30€ pack later.

tuxfool

Banned
Anyway, why are you telling the full game is cheap?
It's priced exactly like other PC releases, 60$ (so probably 60€).
You spare 5€ only in the case you take the intro first and the other 30€ pack later.

It is a pretty standard price, more or less. Except that it allows people to buy the game in a more piecemeal fashion. Given that most people don't actually finish games, buying half a game and then going from there, could actually be beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom