• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

I still can't change my Steam avatar (well, upload one, to be specific), but at least Valve's added a "No file received" error message within the last 24 hours.

image.php

An-Det

If you don't have many Double Fine games, the Build Your Own Bundle at Humble is a great deal, much like the Devolver one was. As for me, I'm pretty set:

ir1yjmz.png

Thanks for the heads-up. Broken Age, Grim Fandango, Massive Challice, and Spacebase for $11.89 isn't bad (no interest in Spacebase but it drops the price by a dime, so I figure why not since it also has cards).

One has the soundtrack, one doesn't. That's it.

i know, but the hope is that they fucked up because the one with the soundtrack is priced significantly lower than the vanilla version. So maybe they meant to post another game but messed up in putting up two HnS. Or maybe they need to swap the prices.

Just holding out hope right now.

zkylon

zkylewd
since i dont think many ppl here played massive chalice, my opinions on it were basically a really good x-com combat side (not perfectly balanced or anything but very satisfying and lots of variety in enemy types and character classes) but really underwhelming base management, like there's barely anything to do outside of roulette decisionmaking and very limited building options. like, u can only research one tech at a time, and teh eugenics part sounds cool at first but since ppl are constantly dying and you're constantly replacing them it just becomes tiresome after a point and in my experience i just looked at the resulting class that couple would breed and hit go. or u can research like a new armor but u have to individually equip it on everyone and they'll be dead by like two battles down the road so why bother

but yeah the combat's great, the artstyle and specially the music are great too, it's just that base management plain sucks that keeps it from being like a really good xcom game

yea that's pretty disappointing

i didnt play it cos i was told of abundant spiders but was hoping it had done alright nonetheless

i always felt marketing for that game was kind of poor, too, i didn't know it existed for the longest of times

haven't heard many opinions here about fig, but to me it sounds pretty alright

like, i don't like the idea of undisclosed investors having a say on the game i was led to believe was an indie thanks-to-crowdfunding thing, so if they're at least transparent about it i dont have many complaints

tho like, if projects can still have secret investors on top of this crap then it just feels like obs and co. just didnt want to give kickstarter their cut, which i guess is kind of fair since devs like inxile and double fine basically created the whole videogames kickstarter universe and everything

Sch1sm

i know, but the hope is that they fucked up because the one with the soundtrack is priced significantly lower than the vanilla version. So maybe they meant to post another game but messed up in putting up two HnS. Or maybe they need to swap the prices.

Just holding out hope right now.

Dunno what else they'd put in, really, but the pricing is weird there. They did have doubles in the last bundle, though, iirc, but they were priced properly in accordance to worth.

I'm not sure I want anything from the Double Fine bundle. Maybe just Grim Fandango, but man, no thanks. Not a priority.

If you don't have many Double Fine games, the Build Your Own Bundle at Humble is a great deal, much like the Devolver one was. As for me, I'm pretty set:

ir1yjmz.png

I own them all except for the Grim Fandango Remastered (which I have on android)

Nothing important was loss. They did ok and it was neat that a big publisher tried this, but it wasn't better than indie efforts.

Will get when 15USD

I will see your $15 and lower it to $9.99.

Actually, the bundle may be worth it for me if Massive Chalice is worthwhile. Anyone have any thoughts?

Its kinda ok. Its a really neat concept that fails in execution. I backed the kickstarter and enjoyed the developer interaction but for a game from a seasoned developer, I expected better.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
That feeling when you've meticulously tagged every enemy in the stronghold, worked out their patrol routes, found the various entry and exit points with the least resistance, marked the target and slowly snuck in undetected only at the last minute to bumble into a bucket you didn't notice, alert half the guards and have to CQC the target and leg it out of there lugging him on your back while all hell breaks loose.

That happened to me on the unlucky dog mission and thought to put my tapes in speaker mode and played the "Enemy Terminated!" tape in Afghani. Smooth as silk.

Salsa

ir1yjmz.png

literally own every game of em except Costume Quest 2

dang

guess this is the one that isnt worth it for me

edit: oh and massive challice. mhh. lets see

edit2: costume quest 2 not even on the promo?

dang

It's all Double Fine PUBLISHED games. So no The Cave (sega) and no CQ2 (Majesco).

You know, two of the games i dont own but would've loved to have seen in this bundle

Salsa

It's all Double Fine PUBLISHED games. So no The Cave (sega) and no CQ2 (Majesco).

You know, two of the games i dont own but would've loved to have seen in this bundle

oh bummer

realized I dont own Grim Fandango remaster and that's the only one I want really. might buy it for $6

thought I owned it. I replayed the original a couple years ago but still

chronomac

Contrast is fine. Collision detection is hit or miss (which is a bigger deal here than other games) and it's really linear and short, but it has a striking art style and the story's presented in a unique way.

iosefe

Contrast is fine. Collision detection is hit or miss (which is a bigger deal here than other games) and it's really linear and short, but it has a striking art style and the story's presented in a unique way.

dat soundtrack though.

available for listening on Spotify

Chariot

dang

Massive Chalice ain't that good. I regret that I kickstarterted that game. It's really nothing more than a nice idea.

Salsa

pretty sure $24 for mad max on nuuvem is cheaper than the gmg deal was, right?

still tho, it'd be beyond silly of me to get it with MGSV and even Witcher 3 unfinished

only reason it draws me really is wanting to support what is apparently a superb port

sometimes you can give me an average game but if it runs like a dream it'll bother me like 10x less and i'll just enjoy the smoothness of it. it's weird.

M.D

Anyone else having a problem with downloading things on Steam? It normally downloads on full speed, but right now its crawling at a few hundred KB/S, and changing servers didn't help either

pretty sure $24 for mad max on nuuvem is cheaper than the gmg deal was, right?

Yup, it's less than $25 for a limited time on Nuuvem and the lowest compared to the 50% coupon from GMG for the game.

HB Weekly's doesn't appeal to me at all. Good thing too. Spending too much on games.

MUnited83

For you.
There's no season pass or metric fuckton of dlc? Colour me surprised.

That's correct. There was a crappy skin or whatever for the car for the preorders, and there's a free DLC that's a cross-promotion with some kind of drink. That's it. No season pass or any further dlc announced as far as I know.

Anyone else having a problem with downloading things on Steam? It normally downloads on full speed, but right now its crawling at a few hundred KB/S, and changing servers didn't help either
It's been slow for me for weeks.

Edit: Actually, game updates have been slow. Different thing, I guess.

only reason it draws me really is wanting to support what is apparently a superb port

sometimes you can give me an average game but if it runs like a dream it'll bother me like 10x less and i'll just enjoy the smoothness of it. it's weird.

I'm the same way, I'm more interested in the game now that I know it's a good port than I ever was before it came out.

derExperte

Act of aggresion looks like the good old times of C&C and Red Alert.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/03/act-of-aggression-review/

Not nearly as accessible as C&C.

Getting to the point where you can enjoy it, however, is a long, hard, and confusing journey. Act of Aggression doesn’t really have a clear design template that it follows, and each faction is maddeningly different from the others in many trivial ways that force lots of re-learning.

The game’s biggest problem is there is at once too much information to take in and that almost all of it is presented badly. I’ve had a lot of time to develop an eye for its battlefields, and I still have a hard time parsing it.

Uzzy

I don't think it's as inaccessible as that review suggests, but AoA could certainly do with some better guidance and tutorials. It's got some complexity to it, so your milage may vary.

Still, if you're mood for a really great RTS, then Eugen's excellent Wargame series is currently on sale. Not really an 'old school' RTS though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom