• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hektor

what's the best early access game? what early access game have you spent the most time with?

I'm curious how successful this program has been

The most time ive spent on an early access game are 24 hours on Batman: Arkham Knight.

Followed by 17 hours of Killing Floor 2 and 12 hours of darkest dungeon.

Anteater

yea, i like it a lot but i feel like the game really hurts from not having many systems outside of dialogue, combat, batman mode and gwent.

like the game barely uses platforming or puzzles and it doesn't have a stealth system so for an open world game it feels a bit repetitive, specially since it's not really like a sandbox thing in which u can like run over a random pedestrian with ur horse and get into swordfights with the guard or whatever. and side missions are usually solvable in just the one way with like little differences in like if u feel sympathy and let the killer live or if u kill them outright. like i guess u have an extra fight if you don't but it's never like "i gotta find who the killer is, i can like take the murder weapon to the smithy to know who bought it, or like follow the bloody footsteps to the killer's home or like ask the victim's friends for enemies" or whatever. there's a bit of that, but it's very directed and it's usually just two choices at most

i also hate that the horse feels so bad. i tried the horse in metal gear, now that's a horse

still love the game cos the writing and the world are both really good but i feel like it needs a bit more sandbox in it

I'm just exploring now not because there are awesome quests or treasures or whatever for me to find, but because the game is so god damn pretty, I'm running around just looking at random cool looking places the game has no use for except to be there looking cool.

Ruruja

I don't mean to pester, but does anybody want this?
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ruruja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Pester -- MB-0BAC6DBC2D30F6F6 - Taken by electroflame

HAHA.

Grief.exe

Game Informer is playing Dark Souls on PC...without DSFix

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...ronicles-watch-us-play-all-of-dark-souls.aspx

4ImWu4W.gif

Apparently there's a glitch for ESO ownership on Steam.
You can get the game for free by refunding the game before 2 hours of playtime. After you've successfully refunded the game, you can still play the game by launching the game via the launcher in the game folder. So, your game ownership on Steam has gone, but your account status on Bethesda hasn't. I don't know if it'll permanent but I've heard some reports that it works.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
This could be Street Racing Syndicate. I just don't know.
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (KenOD, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

I7Ufybq.png

mystery game -- MB-FD193DB8B78A49C6 - Taken by salazar547

MUnited83

For you.
You can get the game for free by refunding the game before 2 hours of playtime. After you've successfully refunded the game, you can still play the game by launching the game via the launcher in the game folder. So, your game ownership on Steam has gone, but your account status on Bethesda hasn't. I don't know if it'll permanent but I've heard some reports that it works.

Not really a glitch, just a byproduct of having a drm other than Steam with key activation. Bethesda will get soon enough to deactivate them, I'd gather.

Not really a glitch, just a byproduct of having a drm other than Steam with key activation. Bethesda will get soon enough to deactivate them, I'd gather.

How about Ubi DRM games? Do they automatically deactivated?
Yeah, I hope so. They must have already prepared the deactivating system for refunds.

Lain

Groupees gave me... 6 steam keys for Pester, not exactly sure why. Was it in that many bundles? Anyways, get the 5 extras if anyone is interested:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Lain, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Pester #3 -- MB-564195186DB19CE4 - Taken by gurm3n
Pester #2 -- MB-0E736A512A4EA886 - Taken by BernardoOne
Pester -- MB-19EBFC9B33C3BBAB - Taken by GaussTek
Pester #5 -- MB-AB2F3A78B3AB43DB - Taken by crazyrabbits
Pester #4 -- MB-5351C38586C961F2 - Taken by fertygo

MUnited83

For you.
How about Ubi DRM games? Do they automatically deactivated?
Yeah, I hope so. They must have already prepared the deactivating system for refunds.

Basically, yeah, because the "uPlay" you use on Steam games is a Steam-specific version of uPlay. You can't activate your Steam uPlay games on the regular uPlay.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Or they could change the launcher so it checks ownership whenever it is opened, I'd guess. Maybe it can be fixed with CEG, but I don't know.

Though if the account doesn't list the game as owned anymore, Steam won't download the updated version, will it? So I have no idea how this can be fixed from a patch level.

Lain

Groupees gave me... 6 steam keys for Pester, not exactly sure why. Was it in that many bundles? Anyways, get the 5 extras if anyone is interested:

I found out why I got 6 keys. It was in the first Let's Build a Doujin Bundle, the one I bought, well, 6 times.

Teggy

ehhhh, i'm conflicted. i kind of hate the ubi design paradigm and i was like bored reaaaally quickly into blood dragon. i still quite liked like ass creed 3 so i think if the settings good enough and i skip most of the side content i can have a decent enough time, and i really like mad max so who knows

some day..

So, it turns out I just hadn't played long enough. This game absolutely has Ubitowers, except they are balloons. And instead of automatically unlocking everything on the map, you actually have to spot the things while you're up there.

user237

ESO on Steam has always been a bit screwy so it doesn't surprise me at all.

But please don't try this trick, they will deactivate your ESO key at the minimum (or ban at worst).

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm just exploring now not because there are awesome quests or treasures or whatever for me to find, but because the game is so god damn pretty, I'm running around just looking at random cool looking places the game has no use for except to be there looking cool.
oh yeah, i've barely used fast travel and i really like it when something that looks unique shows up in the distance and i always go and visit it to just see what it is

i do a lot of walking around too and like watching random ppl go about their days, it's great

it's what i love about open world games, so they nailed that perfectly

it's just that there's a bit of a formula to how quests work and that your interactivity is really limited.

like i'd say skyrim is a game i very much dislike but i really respect how open it is with how u want to approach stuff and how it has a lot of exposed systems for u to goof around with. the quality of all those systems and the content of the quests and the story and such are all kind of poor but i really appreciate it those systems are there. witcha instead is really really high quality for everything but it's a lot more restricted which i'm not that big a fan of

and i guess witcha games were never like about open world stuff or whatever, but like even very "linear" games like vampire bloodlines had a lot more variety and interactivity than this

So, it turns out I just hadn't played long enough. This game absolutely has Ubitowers, except they are balloons. And instead of automatically unlocking everything on the map, you actually have to spot the things while you're up there.
yeahh, i think i can live without it, at least for a long while

i actually thought of like doing steam sharing for the new metal gear but i can't fathom playing another open world game after witcha for a while. just too much fucking STUFF to do, it's exhausting

but who knows, some day down the line i might play it.

i'm still like waiting for like a dirt cheap sale for ass creed 4, so i'm a patient person for games i'm only slightly intereste din

That feeling in MGS5 when you don't know how to get to approach an enemy base....and then a sandstorm comes. Based Sandstorms.

Also, does it matter what order you do the 'Story' missions in? Or can I jump around? I want to get Quiet.....D-Horse isn't getting it done.

ESO on Steam has always been a bit screwy so it doesn't surprise me at all.

But please don't try this trick, they will deactivate your ESO key at the minimum (or ban at worst).

I'm not planning to. I've already spent 111 hours in the game I enjoyed every second of it.
I hope Beth will look into this matter.

That feeling in MGS5 when you don't know how to get to approach an enemy base....and then a sandstorm comes. Based Sandstorms.

Also, does it matter what order you do the 'Story' missions in? Or can I jump around? I want to get Quiet.....D-Horse isn't getting it done.

Where and when can I get Quiet?
I've spent like 9 hours in the game but I've only found D-Dog so far.

Anteater

oh yeah, i've barely used fast travel and i really like it when something that looks unique shows up in the distance and i always go and visit it to just see what it is

i do a lot of walking around too and like watching random ppl go about their days, it's great

it's what i love about open world games, so they nailed that perfectly

it's just that there's a bit of a formula to how quests work and that your interactivity is really limited.

like i'd say skyrim is a game i very much dislike but i really respect how open it is with how u want to approach stuff and how it has a lot of exposed systems for u to goof around with. the quality of all those systems and the content of the quests and the story and such are all kind of poor but i really appreciate it those systems are there. witcha instead is really really high quality for everything but it's a lot more restricted which i'm not that big a fan of

and i guess witcha games were never like about open world stuff or whatever, but like even very "linear" games like vampire bloodlines had a lot more variety and interactivity than this

Yeah I think the formula being too predictable kind of ruins it too, I barely want to do the contracts because well, it's just that, contracts, you know what you're getting yourself into, you follow its tracks and you kill a thing and go back, that predictable nature often do more harm than good for me, I remember DocSeuss made a thread asking how to make open world game missions interesting, and I said they should make it so that the player don't know what they're getting themselves into, the end result and the gameplay might not actually be like completely different but the mystery motivates me to just go do that and I think that's really interesting to me, I mean the thought of "hey I want to go here because maybe this place looks cool" is good enough to push me to travel then any small quest that doesn't play out exactly the same would be interesting and rewarding enough for me.

Just got Killing Floor 2 on Nuuvem for $10.07. Had to use VPN though to access the site. Nuuvem has been awesome lately. Such a shame I still have no keys from the Final Fantasy sale from early August. Might have to hit up support on that matter.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah I think the formula being too predictable kind of ruins it too, I barely want to do the contracts because well, it's just that, contracts, you know what you're getting yourself into, you follow its tracks and you kill a thing and go back, that predictable nature often do more harm than good for me, I remember DocSeuss made a thread asking how to make open world game missions interesting, and I said they should make it so that the player don't know what they're getting themselves into, the end result and the gameplay might not actually be like completely different but the mystery motivates me to just go do that and I think that's really interesting to me, I mean the thought of "hey I want to go here because maybe this place looks cool" is good enough to push me to travel then any small quest that doesn't play out exactly the same would be interesting and rewarding enough for me.

i think the best open world game i've ever played was stalker. yeah i think new vegas is like one of the best rpgs ever and definitely one of my favorites but the shitty beth engine and combat mechanics just keep it from being so. also not counting like old wrpgs like fallout 2 cos like, i dunno, they're something different i guess

but stalker worked exactly like u say and it's fantastic because it managed to build systems into that sense of wonder around just finding cool shit. like cool scenes and cool places would trigger short semi randomized sidequests around finding hidden stashes or killing bandits or whatever, and the world was so filled with system-based details like anomalies, blowouts and just cool ai interaction. so like, the game has systems to feed you new stuff all the time, and they're often worth looking for and enjoyable and interesting. and just the basic interaction with the world is interesting because that universe is so damn cool and some of the stuff around anomalies and artifacts and all the faction wars and the weird monsters and the insanely scary labs and factories and the really desolate fields with piles of old rusted soviet machines, it's so fucking cool

it's fantastic cos it's like a lot of procedurally generated and ai-based stuff but all set in a designed environment is what makes it so cool. it's like restrained, it's not like ALL RANDOMIZED or whatever, and i feel that mix is what really works. like some of those randomized situations you'd run into in red dead, that kind of stuff combined with a simply cool-looking world is the gold open world formula

that's mine at least

gelf

Dark Souls problems are overblown and urban myth at this point as I doubt anyone who knew about DSfix actually tried playing the game without and just assumed it was terribly broken aside from the 720p 30fps. Even without DSfix PC Dark Souls is better then the console versions which many people played and loved. Blightown for example is not a problem on any decent PC like it was on consoles.

I wish I could get Deadly Premonition to run as well as vanilla Dark Souls. DPfix-ed or not I get like 10fps with crashes :(

demented

No need to be intimidated by Modbot. It's not that tough to raffle using it.

I know, I gave a bunch of games here through it, I just don't post a lot so hard to remember me, and besides I didn't feel like it warranted making a raffle, feels like everyone has it at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom