• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

I was having a rummage through the garage last night and found a box full of old PC games, among them Pro Evo 4. Fired it up this morning and my word has it aged horribly. Makes the recent releases look much better when your nostalgia for the older games has had a kick in the unmentionables.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

I just checked YouTube for some footage of it, and I found an England vs Brazil match. It featured Gerrard/Lampard in midfield and Rooney fluffing it up front. So at least that would be accurate for the next decade.

Maniac

Banned
Good one.

He was mainly doing Dota 2 stuff and some comics. Outside of Valve he's been writing sci-fi novels.

Btw who was the last prominent dev who actually joined Valve? Abrash? Though he left...then Church? I fee like these last years we've been getting more news of people leaving rather than joining.
Abrash was ages ago, wasn't it?

Feels like it anyway. Damn shame to lose him to a company that's turned into right proper cunts.

Anyway, the only recent-ish, prominent newcomers I can think of are Church and... Err... Clint Hocking, I guess.

And he left a year ago and then... Yeah. That dudes weird.

Seriously though, it seems like such a waste of design talent. Valve could probably make an AMAZING RPG or space game SOB *sniffles*

Or just a great singleplayer shooter. Instead we get dis shiiiiit.

(I play fuckloads of Dota and CSGO, but I'd much rather have something else really.)

Anyone up for some Munchkin gaming on Tabletop Simulator today?
Mr Luchador and I are in.

Also, we're gonna rock some Rocket League right now, feel free to PM me on Steam if you wanna join!

Ruruja

I was having a rummage through the garage last night and found a box full of old PC games, among them Pro Evo 4. Fired it up this morning and my word has it aged horribly. Makes the recent releases look much better when your nostalgia for the older games has had a kick in the unmentionables.

You're wrong, PES4-6 are still better games than all recent PES games. They may not look as realistic or play as 'realistic' but they're damn fun and do everything right. My opinion of course, but I still play them against my mate from time to time, that's where they really shine I suppose.

L.O.R.D

It appears when you have a card selected

still can't find it

zplQYDt.jpg

only sell that one card

Yeah, I only saw very few videos of Vive and somehow only got the move-like controllers out of it. This is really news for me (but it's old I know). Suddenly Vive is much more attractive to me. It can do all the Rift does but also so much more cool stuff. Good times.

At this point I'm just going to wait how both of them end up at launch (price, launch library etc) and maybe wait till gen 2. I don't have a PC to handle VR anyway. People also have been praising the Rift's Touch controller as the best.

Abrash was ages ago, wasn't it?

Feels like it anyway. Damn shame to lose him to a company that's turned into right proper cunts.

Anyway, the only recent-ish, prominent newcomers I can think of are Church and... Err... Clint Hocking, I guess.

And he left a year ago and then... Yeah. That dudes weird.

Abrash I think joined in 2010. Church was 2011 and Hocking was 2012. Church is still there working on VR. As Spirited said the last so-called prominent dev joining is Jaros, but given his involvement in Saints Row, some will find that debatable. Valve have grown again according to reports and Ludwig, but simply can't recall any big, public "signings". Not the way others like Oculus or Amazon (before some people started leaving) have been getting talent. Or other big studios.

Pachimari

Yeah why? Game is pretty easy!
Lack of cutscenes. Lack of codecs (not the same as cassette tapes), a mute Big Boss, inconsistent voice acting, lack of story focus, and now I hear the bosses are worse than in MGS1-4. Basically everything that made me love Metal Gear is not there.

The gameplay is perfect though, and by far the best in the series but I play Metal Gear for the story first and foremost, and not the gameplay.

And if I have to replay missions later in the game then I'm definitely out. I also don't like I have to do side ops missions in order to continue the main missions.

But now I know how the Tomb Raider fans must feel lol.

gabbo

Mad Max game is not for everybody so don't rush. Read Mad Max OT and then decide if game is for you. Don't let hype make you buy things :D

I think I've relegated it to "sale buy", in that, yeah, i want me some open desert driving/shooting/fighting, but I'm not that into the open world genre of action and I can make do with the movie and the soundtrack, so I can hold off a while.

Still I don't think any game will allow me to experience a car chase to Brothers in Arms/Blood Bag quite the same.

Dr Dogg

You're wrong, PES4-6 are still better games than all recent PES games. They may not look as realistic or play as 'realistic' but they're damn fun and do everything right. My opinion of course, but I still play them against my mate from time to time, that's where they really shine I suppose.

Urgh, surely don't you think it would be better to ask why I feel it has aged horribly and what aspect(s) I find are better in the newer entries over PES 4 specifically than come out swinging with the opening gambit 'You're wrong'? Even more so when you yourself mention subjective elements so saying 'I disagree' would be a more fitting start of a potential conversation.

Ruruja

Urgh, surely don't you think it would be better to ask why I feel it has aged horribly and what aspect(s) I find are better in the newer entries over PES 4 specifically than come out swinging with the opening gambit 'You're wrong'? Even more so when you yourself mention subjective elements so saying 'I disagree' would be a more fitting start of a potential conversation.

I did say it was my opinion that you were wrong. I worded the sentence strangely though, so sorry for that.

Lack of cutscenes. Lack of codecs (not the same as cassette tapes), a mute Big Boss, inconsistent voice acting, lack of story focus, and now I hear the bosses are worse than in MGS1-4. Basically everything that made me love Metal Gear is not there.

The gameplay is perfect though, and by far the best in the series but I play Metal Gear for the story first and foremost, and not the gameplay.

And if I have to replay missions later in the game then I'm definitely out. I also don't like I have to do side ops missions in order to continue the main missions.

But now I know how the Tomb Raider fans must feel lol.

Some of these points aren't entirely true (to me, at least)
It's not as if there are no cutscenes, the thing is that they are shorter than in MGS4 for example. But they are still there. Of course, now you don't get a cutscene for each mission or something like that, but that's because missions can be shorter (I hear that there are like 50 main missions, so imagine 50 cutscenes...)
I understand the thing about the lack of codecs, but I think that the cassette tapes do a great job, which leads me into the next point: Big Boss isn't mute at all, he talks almost as much as he used to in previous games. See, the thing is that BB used to talk in codec calls, since these are gone, now he talks in cassette tapes.
So far bossess aren't "worse" than previous bosses in the MGS series, just different.

fertygo

ModBot said:
Instructions for fertygo:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Jet Racing Extreme -- MB-D691AEDE0583B7A0 - Taken by L.O.R.D. 1 entrants total.
Intergalactic Bubbles -- MB-C1CE0332833E835A - Taken by Mikurden. 1 entrants total.

t1441457313z1.png
No card no +1

dex3108

Wasteland in Mad Max is awesome. I saw airplane in desert and i decided to check it out, oh it is buried, but wait i can go down! What is inside? Hideout! Game is full of those moments. Map is not only beautiful but they crafted it really well. There are also few other surprises that i didn't expect to see but i won;t spoil it. And i visited only 1/3 of the whole map :D

Decided to enter the wonderful world of 4Xs and picked up Endless Legend, since it's on sale on Humble

Didn't like the Civ 5 demo I played last month, but man, I'm enjoying this. Only played the tutorial, but it's really cool. The art style and map is absolutely gorgeous, and I love how enemy encounters become tactical on-the-battlefield combat. Plus the micro-managing RPG aspect of equipping units and Hero skill trees

Between this and Dungeon of the Endless, Amplitude definitely has my attention now

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Rocket League seems like it will be a suitable placeholder until Blops3 hits for real. It's quite fun with friends even if you suck. It's gonna be interesting to see how it handles on the Steam controller.

I'm crossposting my short opinions about Celestian Tales: Old North from the monthly Indie Thread

header.jpg

Celestian Tales: Old North - A game clearly inspired by old JRPG games, but it has some small twists to the old formula. You can choose between six protagonists during the start, I don't think you'll get too much different content, most likely the prologue and some different dialogues in different parts of the game, though even it being simple serves to add a flavor because you can get to know the background of the characters. Each character has a different personality and it's not uncommon that during dialogues they start to argue because they are all nobles with different backgrounds and aspirations.

The battle system is simple to understand, you have your HP and Stamina. The stamina regains as you attack the monsters or defend yourself, and you need it to use the special skills each character has, though if you use a skill that needs too much stamina the enemy aggro will turn to that character, so there is a bit of management during the battles. When a battle ends your party is automatically healed, I can see many disliking it but it helps mitigate the annoying that was ending, a battle entering a menu, healing your party, that was so common in other games.

Still talking about the combat, as the party level up the squires unlocks news ative and passive abilities, and you can equip them in the menu.

The weapons system is also straight forward, there aren't a lot of weapon in the game (There are 3 for each character) but you can improve them with a blacksmith if you have the right materials.

While in the story page it sells the game with a gritty and dark storyline I don't agree with it at all, it at least don't go the common place of the "choosen ones that are going to fulfil the old prophecy". In the menu you can read more about the lore from the game, knowing the factions, the families, the cities and etc. It helps to get immersed in the world.

In my opinion the art for the character portraits are a bit inconsistent, the six squires seem to follow the same artstyle but some of the NPC's doesn't seem to fit at all, but this is something that I can ingone and is not going to lessen the enjoyment I'm having with the game.

Recommended if you want some light JRPG.

MUnited83

For you.
Help, can't access the main store page on chrome :(. Steam community/market/inventory works fine though.

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://store.steampowered.com/" on this server.
Reference #18.5e1608c3.1441459472.164afaa4

Pachimari

Some of these points aren't entirely true (to me, at least)
It's not as if there are no cutscenes, the thing is that they are shorter than in MGS4 for example. But they are still there. Of course, now you don't get a cutscene for each mission or something like that, but that's because missions can be shorter (I hear that there are like 50 main missions, so imagine 50 cutscenes...)
I understand the thing about the lack of codecs, but I think that the cassette tapes do a great job, which leads me into the next point: Big Boss isn't mute at all, he talks almost as much as he used to in previous games. See, the thing is that BB used to talk in codec calls, since these are gone, now he talks in cassette tapes.
So far bossess aren't "worse" than previous bosses in the MGS series, just different.

Someone else said it better than me, but the casette tapes lacks the suspension of the codecs. And when I say Big Boss is mute, I meant in the cutscenes, not in the tapes. He is mute to the point where it is out of character, and even a meetup between Ocelot and Big Boss feels anti-climatic. I really don't agree with your assessment of the cutscenes either but I'm not far into the game yet as well, so won't make a final judgement. But all of this gameplay in ratio to the cutscenes so far is killing me.

I've never heard this used as a negative before...
Go to the OT thread and you'll find plenty.

Gotta say Metal Gear Solid V is my disappointment of the year so far. In fact, I'm gonna quit it. Really frustrating to me.

It's a disappointment, yes, but I won't use frustrating as the right word.
I don't know how to explain it, the game just doesn't click for me so far. It feels so grand yet so cheap at the same time.

Yeah why? Game is pretty easy!

Should I show my C scores off here? :(

its my birthday!

im 21!

lEwACD5.png

Happy birthday, Automator~

Jawmuncher

I understand where you are coming from Madridista. Right now i'm pretty conflicted with the game myself. I am having a ton of fun with it, however it's not exactly as metal gear as I would like. So I can get where your complaints are coming from.

Will ultimately show once I play it of course but the long and ridiculous cutscenes with the atmospheric and again long codec talks where a big part that made fall in love with MGS. So I am a bit bummed.
its my birthday!

im 21!
Boy, you are so young still. Happy birthday young'n.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom