• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annubis

Lots of ass on that Non-Steam list :D

11374679_1382223775418521_636244276_n.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
i still dont get how ppl managed to play so much ass 3

like, it took me like 40hrs i think, and i did like most of the side stuff

tho maybe i remember it wrong and it was actually 80hrs, don't check lol

ArjanN

SAM can't do anything with server-side achievements, but they're seldom used and I don't know if it's possible for Valve to push through a Steam-wide update that changes all achievements to server-side ones as not every game that supports achievements uses CEG ("Steam DRM").

Honestly it's generally pretty easy to tell who is using SAM anyway, although they still mess up the overall statistics.

Ultimately you're only fooling yourself though. Well, and playfire maybe :p

i still dont get how ppl managed to play so much ass 3

like, it took me like 40hrs i think, and i did like most of the side stuff

tho maybe i remember it wrong and it was actually 80hrs, don't check lol

Probably a bunch of idle time. I think you can beat every AC game in under 30 hours, probably add another 10-20 hours to 100% them.

madjoki

SAM can't do anything with server-side achievements, but they're seldom used and I don't know if it's possible for Valve to push through a Steam-wide update that changes all achievements to server-side ones as not every game that supports achievements uses CEG ("Steam DRM").

My understanding is that on server-side achievements, server sends user X unlocked achievement Y, so it wouldn't work in single player games.

Grief.exe

Wildstar showed up in the SteamDB a couple of months ago and was quickly removed.

Were there any announcements associated with that?

Knurek

Any CPU advice, guys?

Is i7-4790K worth the price premium?
I know most games don't care much for 4+ threads, but the 4.0 GHz stock frequency seems like a notable upgrade over other i5/i7 models.
I don't care much for overclocking, planning on sticking with box cooler even, unless it's hella noisy, but my i3 doesn't seem to cut it anymore for newer games. :\

Is Steam community dead for anyone else?

Yep, dead here.

About AssCreed 3, it's the last AC game that I finished and I probably hated half of it. Main story took me 20 hours or so.
Too bad that the one which I really liked (Black Flag) deleted my saves and doesn't have an option to skip cutscenes at the beginning. Same goes for Liberation, though I'm not sure if I liked that one or not.

Wildstar showed up in the SteamDB a couple of months ago and was quickly removed.

Were there any announcements associated with that?

It's transitioning to a F2P model, maybe it has something to do with that.

rtcn63

I don't care much for overclocking, planning on sticking with box cooler even, unless it's hella noisy, but my i3 doesn't seem to cut it anymore for newer games. :\

Are you basing this on benchmarks of newer games? I haven't read anything about the i3 being outdated for gaming, and you may be better served upgrading your GPU (I have no what idea what your GPU is).

zkylon

zkylewd
Probably a bunch of idle time. I think you can beat every AC game in under 30 hours, probably add another 10-20 hours to 100% them.

i dunno like, i got like 100% on ass bros (never doing that shit again) and that was legit like 80hrs but ass 3 was like pretty short for me. i guess not trying to do 100% synchronization on all the missions and not bothering with the trade stuff maybe amounts to a lot of time, but i'd be surprised if that turned out to be like 30 or 40 hrs more than i played

I finished game twice + DLCs :D
omg why would you do that -___-

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Any CPU advice, guys?

I know most games don't care much for 4+ threads, but the 4.0 GHz stock frequency seems like a notable upgrade over other i5/i7 models.
I'm looking to buy a new PC too, and from what I've read, i7 may be overkill for gaming. Pricewise, i5 4690K was considered a better option in most of the websites I've been searching, so that's what I'm hopefully going to buy. I'd look into that CPU if I were you, to see if it suits your needs.

i dunno like, i got like 100% on ass bros (never doing that shit again) and that was legit like 80hrs but ass 3 was like pretty short for me. i guess not trying to do 100% synchronization on all the missions and not bothering with the trade stuff maybe amounts to a lot of time, but i'd be surprised if that turned out to be like 30 or 40 hrs more than i played
Ass Bros, what kind of depraved stuff do you play? 0.o

Knurek

Are you basing this on benchmarks of newer games? I haven't read anything about the i3 being outdated for gaming, and you may be better served upgrading your GPU (I have no what idea what your GPU is).

I recently upgraded to 970, so yeah, I'm CPU bound right now.
Witcher 3 can't handle 1080p60 with an i3 (no problems with a real 4 thread CPU when looking at benchmarks) - I have massive stuttering, drops to 40 fps even on low with 30-40% GPU utilization.
Dragon's Age: Inquisition has some drops to 40-50 fps, with low GPU utilization. Usually when there's a lot of characters on screen. I'm guessing DX11 draw-calls issue, so something more single-threaded performance might help with.
Heck, even Saint's Row 4 couldn't handle the open-worlded parts at smooth 1080p60 - I had some noticeable drops while traversing the city.

I'm looking to buy a new PC too, and from what I've read, i7 may be overkill for gaming. Pricewise, i5 4690K was considered a better option in most of the websites I've been searching, so that's what I'm hopefully going to buy. I'd look into that CPU if I were you, to see if it suits your needs.

Yeah, but i5-4690K has a stock frequency of 3.5 GHz. Plus 8 threads might future-proof CPU a bit more - what with Frostbite and UE4 actually utilizing more than 3 CPU cores at once...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
My understanding is that on server-side achievements, server sends user X unlocked achievement Y, so it wouldn't work in single player games.

Even assuming that's the case, it's not as though Valve couldn't develop a server-side achievement system for single-player games, too. The tricky part would be implementing Offline Mode support in a way that couldn't be exploited.

rtcn63

Just get an i5(K) and OC it. I know you're averse, but it's incredibly easy *if* your motherboard natively supports it. I keep my GPU stock but my i5 at 4.1 ghz. I've only ever had problems when I had it at 4.4 in hot weather.

Lomax

Is there any sort of estimation of how much Sam throws achievement stats off by?

It's pretty safe to assume that the vast, vast majority of Steam users don't even know SAM exists. And of those that do know, it's pretty likely that only a small percentage would actually use it for "illegitimate" reasons. Even in the peak of the playfire days, when people had an actual financial motivation to cheat with it, the percentages of change were very small. So in any real sense, the effect is (in my opinion) zero. The only place where you might see SAM have an impact is on broken achievements, and possibly on very rare (or exceptionally grindy) ones.

Remember, it wasn't SAM that caused the issues with the winter sale coal (though I'm sure it contributed some), it was one cent humble bundles.

milena87

Any CPU advice, guys?

If I had to buy a CPU right now the i7-4790K would certainly be among my top choices, especially if I only wanted to change the CPU and already had a 1150 motherboard.

For gaming, the i7-4790K is a beast. Even the newer CPUs from Intel apparently don't show much improvements over the 4790K outside applications like Photoshop.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Close Your Eyes - Goodie Bag DLC now out.

Now to focus on my bigger-scale next project, but all who got keys it should be fully available now, the Goodie Bag is mainly a mini-game, 'Girl's Graveyard', which can be accessed from the main game, the soundtrack, and art collection. $1.99 (USD) with a 25% launch discount, last time it'll go on sale until I release my next game.

---

On the flipside, Close Your Eyes the base game has been doing fantastically. Has been activated on nearly 20,000 Steam accounts, with nearly 9,000 of those downloading the game. Reviews are Very Positive after 93 reviews (88% positive as time of writing), and the outside response has been good too. I am more than acutely aware of some of the game's flaws, but for a short project been doing much better than expected. And some valuable feedback for the future.

Lain

Any CPU advice, guys?

My suggestion is to always go K. You might not be too interested in OC now, or you think you'll never OC in the future, but it's still an option you'll always have open to you, should you find yourself in need to.

Jawmuncher

Close Your Eyes - Goodie Bag DLC now out.

Now to focus on my bigger-scale next project, but all who got keys it should be fully available now, the Goodie Bag is mainly a mini-game, 'Girl's Graveyard', which can be accessed from the main game, the soundtrack, and art collection. $1.99 (USD) with a 25% launch discount, last time it'll go on sale until I release my next game.

---

On the flipside, Close Your Eyes the base game has been doing fantastically. Has been activated on nearly 20,000 Steam accounts, with nearly 9,000 of those downloading the game. Reviews are Very Positive after 93 reviews (88% positive as time of writing), and the outside response has been good too. I am more than acutely aware of some of the game's flaws, but for a short project been doing much better than expected. And some valuable feedback for the future.

Hopefully you saw my post in the forums, if you ever have the time would be great to see a quick guide on whats needed for each ending. Also a few pages back i reviewed it.

Wag

I recently upgraded to 970, so yeah, I'm CPU bound right now.
Witcher 3 can't handle 1080p60 with an i3 (no problems with a real 4 thread CPU when looking at benchmarks) - I have massive stuttering, drops to 40 fps even on low with 30-40% GPU utilization.
Dragon's Age: Inquisition has some drops to 40-50 fps, with low GPU utilization. Usually when there's a lot of characters on screen. I'm guessing DX11 draw-calls issue, so something more single-threaded performance might help with.
Heck, even Saint's Row 4 couldn't handle the open-worlded parts at smooth 1080p60 - I had some noticeable drops while traversing the city.

Yeah, but i5-4690K has a stock frequency of 3.5 GHz. Plus 8 threads might future-proof CPU a bit more - what with Frostbite and UE4 actually utilizing more than 3 CPU cores at once...

It really depends on how much you want to spend. You can get a i7-5820k through Staples over the phone for ~$285 if you haggle with them a bit. That's definitely worth the money and will last for quite a while (I picked mine up @ Microcenter for $300). I'm running it right now @ 4.3GHz on air. Not bad.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Stacking -- MB-BADF792267714857 - Taken by Purkake4
Syberia -- MB-EE1237F5E02867B3 - Taken by Teppic

zkylon

zkylewd
Ass Bros, what kind of depraved stuff do you play? 0.o

u know they dont call me zkylewd for nothin

Before AC:R i did AC Marathon (Creedathon), before AC3 i did Creedathon and before AC4 i did Creedathon. I usually do 100% for AC game once and for Creedathon i do Story only.
thats the saddest thing i've ever heard

Hopefully you saw my post in the forums, if you ever have the time would be great to see a quick guide on whats needed for each ending. Also a few pages back i reviewed it.
yea wouldnt want to miss ur playtime count

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Fingered is a rather dumb game

that I've now spent four hours on

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Oh my, now that I'm settling down here, I can make an ending guide. And just saw the review, I'm happy you enjoyed it~

zkylon

zkylewd
I love jumping around cities and forests :D
i love jumping around cities and forests too

i just dont like all the boring garbage ubi dumps around the jumping

also an ass creed marathon feels like the most tiring shit ever haha

i still gotta play ass 4, i hope it gets to $12.50 this year hehe

dex3108

i love jumping around cities and forests too

i just dont like all the boring garbage ubi dumps around the jumping

also an ass creed marathon feels like the most tiring shit ever haha

i still gotta play ass 4, i hope it gets to $12.50 this year hehe

When you do Story only it is not that bad :D But i couldn't bother with Creedathon before AC Unity that is just too much.

I guess now we know what Jawmuncher will wear for Halloween

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo19imJWN_M

Y3etTZn.png

Sorry for those with OCD about this kinda thing, I promise I'll get the final one. But Type-0 is doneee. It's got pretty easy achievements if you care about that stuff.

MUnited83

For you.
My top 10

Team Fortresss 2 - 674 hours (vast majority of it idling for items)
Dark Souls - 180 hours
Clicker Heroes -92 hours
Shadow of Mordor- 55 hours
Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3- 47 hours
Binding of Isaac- 45 hours
Pillars of Eternity- 42 hours
Rust- 42 hours
Adventure Capitalis- 37 hours
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic- 34 hours

Ys Origin - 113 hours
100% Orange Juice - 91 hours
Pillars of Eternity - 69 hours
Killing Floor - 56 hours
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - 43 hours
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - 40 hours
Shadow Warrior - 27 hours
Shadowrun: Hong Kong - 25 hours
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim - 25 hours
The Witcher: Enhanced edition -17.5 hours

Jawmuncher

yea wouldnt want to miss ur playtime count

I don't get it

I mean I feel kind of bad that we got a lot of lists because of my impressions/review from MGSV. But I would have thought people like knowing completion times. I'll take it out from future posts if it's an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom