• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyba89

Bought Reigns on my Android phone and it's a pretty cool game. Feels like a really unique and novel concept that is perfectly optimized for mobile. Somehow totally missed that.

That could be my new mobile gaming addiction addiction after playing Threes almost exclusively the past two years (besides Pokémon Go, QuizUp and the Square GO games). Although I don't think it's something I would play on PC.

rtcn63

Watching two big daddies fight is fun and all, but the one that I had hypnotized (and was subsequently straight murdered in under a minute) wasn't being trailed by a little sister. Usually I wait for the hypnosis to wear off, and wait until they head for a vent before finishing them off.

Vuze

I wonder if Telltale Batman is as bad on consoles as it is on PC. I mean, it runs fine for the most part at 4k60 (apart from some weird drops in the bat cave).
But between achievements not unlocking (what the hell even, they have literally one condition?), RB/RT swapped and having to resort to using keyboard for the finishing move as the on screen controller buttons just flat out don't work... I don't know. This must be the most broken game telltale has shipped to date.

Which is a pity since the first episode which I just finished was actually pretty good!

data

Instructions for data:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/st...er_292x136.jpg http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/st...er_292x136.jpg http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/st...er_292x136.jpg http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/st...er_292x136.jpg
Hexcells Complete Pack -- MB-426430A4E4F3C77C - Taken by Loptous. 3 entrants total.
Galak-Z -- MB-CD1FBABEA1F49494 - Taken by Shalashaska. 2 entrants total.
Puzzle Agent -- MB-18F0F6DF667688DF - Taken by jon bones. 1 entrants total.
Poker Night at the Inventory -- MB-0DC3010B18B57B87
Puzzle Agent 2 -- MB-73FE65FCEF2DD0B3 - Taken by Belgarion. 1 entrants total.

http://secondapps.com/countdown/t1474664690z1.png

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
How do I fix this? :(

iZ5gPL8.png

EDIT: Deleted the file and it doesn't appear. Brute forcing ftw

Nillansan

Fuck Palmer Luckey and the circle of racist pricks that he is associated with. The thread covering the matter really brought out a bunch of idiots with Gamer Gate like sentiments. Delightful.

Fuck Palmer Luckey and the circle of racist pricks that he is associated with. The thread covering the matter really brought out a bunch of idiots with Gamer Gate like sentiments. Delightful.

The thread itself is quite stupid though.
People who were never interested in Oculus were like:

"Thank god I preordered PSVR."
"I will never buy Oculus stuff."

While owning a Rift I dont like Oculus as a company, but its stupid to judge a whole team of more than 100 people including Abrash, Carmack etc. by one person with stupid beliefs. And seems he is getting the boot:

https://twitter.com/StarFire2258/status/779421094771949568

kagamin

Something tells me it won't delete the file in your windows32 folder.
So that's a security risk for a lot of people who won't go and delete it manually.

Its weird though, when I updated to windows 10 nprotect gameguard disappeared from my computer entirely, I don't even see it in the registry anymore. Its pretty hilarious honestly as far as rootkits go.

Nzyme32

Best puzzle game is finally out on Steam:

Yes, Arthea, DROD is better than Picross, Spacechem, Lyne and Letter Quest combined

300 achievements, represent!

Also gj, Volvo.
Game has one pre-release review. Positive at that. What does the new implementation of review scoring show? Negative, 0% of the 1 user reviews are positive.

That is some high ass praise. On to the wishlist it goes.

Nillansan

The thread itself is quite stupid though.
People who were never interested in Oculus were like:

"Thank god I preordered PSVR."
"I will never buy Oculus stuff."

While owning a Rift I dont like Oculus as a company, but its stupid to judge a whole team of more than 100 people including Abrash, Carmack etc. by one person with stupid beliefs. And seems he is getting the boot:

https://twitter.com/StarFire2258/status/779421094771949568

Palmer is the face of Oculus Rift. I am honestly having a hard time separating the product from the creator, especially with Palmer's face all over it.

I wouldn't deem the thread as stupid, only a few participants actually dwelled on the product itself, it was predominantly politically charged. Also people might have been waiting for the next iteration, so I think it is perfectly valid to state that you aren't supporting Oculus. You're forgetting that the current product is first and foremost aimed at enthusiasts, not the general consumer and it is priced accordingly. Also the thread itself serves as a means to weed out the bigots amongst us.

Palmer is the face of Oculus Rift. I am honestly having a hard time separating the product from the creator, especially with Palmer's face all over it.

I wouldn't deem the thread as stupid, only a few participants actually dwelled on the product itself, it was predominantly politically charged. Also people might have been waiting for the next iteration, so I think it is perfectly valid to state that you aren't supporting Oculus. You're forgetting that the current product is first and foremost aimed at enthusiasts, not the general consumer and it is priced accordingly. Also the thread itself serves as a means to weed out the bigots amongst us.

While he might be the face of oculus, people somehow forget that a whole team stands behind him. He might be the face, but he isnt the creator. Its like saying Todd Howard might be Bethesdas face, but in the end Fallout is developed by hundreds of developers and he might just have a small influence.

That wasnt my point though. My point is that people, who really were never interested in the product, now somehow say that they are glad they choose PSVR e.g. or would never buy an Oculus product even though they never intended to.

Its like if Shuhei Yoshida or Kaz Hirai now would say that they understand why Japanese are xenophobic because foreigners are making so many problems in Japan... I doubt the same people would now cancel their preorder.
Or if Gaben now would be the biggest Trump Supporter ever. I doubt most people in this thread would stop using Steam or buy Valve products.

derExperte

That wasnt my point though. My point is that people, who really were never interested in the product, now somehow say that they are glad they choose PSVR e.g. or would never buy an Oculus product even though they never intended to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue_signalling

Is the SFV rootkit a PC exclusive? What about parity?

Didn't you read the thread in Gaming? PC players have only themselves to blame because we hacked the game, stole and modded costumes or something.

Nillansan

While he might be the face of oculus, people somehow forget that a whole team stands behind him. He might be the face, but he isnt the creator. Its like saying Todd Howard might be Bethesdas face, but in the end Fallout is developed by hundreds of developers and he might just have a small influence.

To me it all comes down to how Oculus and Facebook chooses to address the matter, I have a feeling that I'll be severely disappointed.

Its like if Shuhei Yoshida or Kaz Hirai now would say that they understand why Japanese are xenophobic because foreigners are making so many problems in Japan... I doubt the same people would now cancel their preorder.
Or if Gaben now would be the biggest Trump Supporter ever. I doubt most people in this thread would stop using Steam or buy Valve products.

I understand what you are saying, but again, only a few folks dwelled on this, I wouldn't call the entirety of the thread stupid based on what a select few participants were babbling on about. It was primarily a politically charged discussion.

Wok

I had not realized until now all this talk about that Palmer Luckey guy was about that guy whose face was all over the newspapers as he is the creator of Oculus Rift and made millions (billions?) by selling it to Facebook, or something along these lines. I thought that guy had nothing to do with Oculus anymore since he made a fortune by selling the company. I need to get out of my grotto more often.

Regarding Steam releases, Virginia and Pavilion do not disappoint me. I am set, no need to purchase anything until the releases of Honey Rose (Sep 30, pay-what-you-liked model), Shenzhen IO (Oct 6, early access) and Owlboy (Nov 1).

Uzzy

I'm glad I didn't even download the update because when I got home the shitstorm was already brewing. The little hope I had left for the PC version of this game is now completely gone. It makes me genuinely sad.

Me too. The actual fighting, the core gameplay, is I think the best it's ever been. But everything else around it is just complete bullshit, and now actually creating security risks for your PC. So very saddening.

Tizoc

Instructions for data:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/st...er_292x136.jpg http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/st...er_292x136.jpg http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/st...er_292x136.jpg http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/st...er_292x136.jpg
Hexcells Complete Pack -- MB-426430A4E4F3C77C - Taken by Loptous. 3 entrants total.
Galak-Z -- MB-CD1FBABEA1F49494 - Taken by Shalashaska. 2 entrants total.
Puzzle Agent -- MB-18F0F6DF667688DF - Taken by jon bones. 1 entrants total.
Poker Night at the Inventory -- MB-0DC3010B18B57B87
Puzzle Agent 2 -- MB-73FE65FCEF2DD0B3 - Taken by Belgarion. 1 entrants total.

http://secondapps.com/countdown/t1474664690z1.png
I had sent a pm to modbot for puzzle agent 2 but hadnt gotten a reply yet
Dunno if i won but seeing as it isnt crossed out

Saty

As always let's start with the thing that is of most interest to people: How much has the game sold? This is always a bit of a tricky figure to nail down as it depends a bit on how you want to count. For instance, we were part of the Humble Monthly Bundle this September which caused a lot of people to get the game, but none of these were "direct sales". Instead, we got one big payment for taking part in the deal. For the sake of simplicity, I will simply lump all of these figures together as a whole, which brings us to a total of a bit over 450 000

Finally, I want to briefly go over where Frictional is currently at. As I said last time, our goal now is to be a two-project studio and so far it is going really well. One project, which most of the team is working on, is going to start production at end of the year and the other project is mid-way through the R&D stage. Unfortunately I cannot divulge any specific information on these two, and it will be a little while before there will be a proper announcement. However, we do have some smaller, cool stuff in store, one of each we will announced later this year. If all goes well, we should also have another thing for early next year.
https://frictionalgames.blogspot.co.il/2016/09/soma-one-year-later.html

Werd

Finished Odallus: The Dark Call with all secrets. Knew it had good steam reviews, but better than I expected. Good level design, the retro style was done particularly well (intro/exit cutscenes were nice), controlled very well. Definitely recommended if it looks interesting to anyone.

Only frustration was one of the forms of the final boss that I died a ton on, or lost too much health to finish the others. Eventually I just found the right item use to cheese it. Though some challenge was needed after the final sword/armor upgrades made the enemies pretty irrelevant for the final stage or two.

illusionary

I had sent a pm to modbot for puzzle agent 2 but hadnt gotten a reply yet
Dunno if i won but seeing as it isnt crossed out

Modbot isn't always able to edit posts promptly with giveaway winners, for one reason or another. If you don't get a PM within a few minutes, you won't have won it.

vg260

Got a question about Steam folders.

I'm upgrading my secondary hard drive to a bigger capacity one. I only have Steam games on it. Can I just temporarily move the Steam folder away to another connected drive, swap out the drives, move the folder back, and just carry on?

Theswweet

I'm upgrading my secondary hard drive to a bigger capacity one. I only have Steam games on it. Can I just temporarily move the Steam folder away to another connected drive, swap out the drives, move the folder back, and just carry on?

You should be fine. Don't quote me on that, though.

yeah you can install steam somewhere else, move your common folder and redownload your games

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

someone here said you could do it with the whole steamapps folder but I haven't done it though

vg260

You should be fine. Don't quote me on that, though.

Too late.

But yeah, I'd be keeping the same drive letter, so I assume it would work.

yeah you can install steam somewhere else, move your common folder and redownload your games

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

someone here said you could do it with the whole steamapps folder but I haven't done it though

I was hoping I wouldn't have to re download anything since the steam app is installed on the C drive, which I'm not touching and the drive I'm replacing is the D drive which has a Steam folder on it with just games.

I had not realized until now all this talk about that Palmer Luckey guy was about that guy whose face was all over the newspapers as he is the creator of Oculus Rift and made millions (billions?) by selling it to Facebook, or something along these lines. I thought that guy had nothing to do with Oculus anymore since he made a fortune by selling the company. I need to get out of my grotto more often.

Regarding Steam releases, Virginia and Pavilion do not disappoint me. I am set, no need to purchase anything until the releases of Honey Rose (Sep 30, pay-what-you-liked model), Shenzhen IO (Oct 6, early access) and Owlboy (Nov 1).
Impressions on Pavilion? Is there a thread for it?

Knurek

As long as you don't forget about the *.acf files in steamapps folder, there shouldn't be any problems.

Platy

If anyone here is into Itch.io, the 2016 Fantastic Arcade Bundle includes a game from Keita Takahashi (Katamari) & Adam Saltsman (Canabalt) amongst others.

uyzHLwV.jpg

Also, what software is good for screen/game recording on Windows currently? Free and paid.

F2OGGY (Only one survives!) is a Brute-Force Frog-Combat Simulator, by the IGF-winning creator Nathalie Lawhead, made for a growing audience of competitive frogfans. Each player is divided into a faction (a Frog-Faction), and must defeat their opponent using High-Velocity Amphibian Impact Lunges. (Windows, Mac)

H8o2iXq.gif

Werd

So did Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive just never remove the loyalty discount? Passed on upgrading at the time but looking at the page again it's still $5 with a promotion "ending June 21". Cool if so, Deus Ex HR Director's cut and some others having really short windows annoyed me.

Any comments on the upgrades?

So did Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive just never remove the loyalty discount? Passed on upgrading at the time but looking at the page again it's still $5 with a promotion "ending June 21". Cool if so, Deus Ex HR Director's cut and some others having really short windows annoyed me.

Any comments on the upgrades?

the Ori discount is forever AFAIK...at least last time I saw anything about it

h4btgo.gif

(also, asking again if anyone can recommend some screen/game recording software? I haven't kept up with what's good at the moment)

I'd imagine most people will say to use NVIDIA Shadowplay (if you have an NVIDIA card) or OBS...usually what I see get mentioned around here

Too late.

But yeah, I'd be keeping the same drive letter, so I assume it would work.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to re download anything since the steam app is installed on the C drive, which I'm not touching and the drive I'm replacing is the D drive which has a Steam folder on it with just games.
I did the same thing you're looking to do a few weeks ago and didn't have to redownload the games.

Had Steam on my ssd and a seperate SteamLibrary on my hdd. Removed the old hdd, add a new hdd (made sure it used the same drive directory letter), reatteched the old hdd externally and copied the entire contents of SteamLibrary to the new drive.

I think you may also have to go in to steam's settings > downloads click "steam library folders" and go to "add library folders" and navigate to the SteamLibrary folder for steam to recognize it once it's been added to the new drive

ArjanN

I'm glad I didn't even download the update because when I got home the shitstorm was already brewing. The little hope I had left for the PC version of this game is now completely gone. It makes me genuinely sad.

Me too. The actual fighting, the core gameplay, is I think the best it's ever been. But everything else around it is just complete bullshit, and now actually creating security risks for your PC. So very saddening.

Nah, the negativity around SFV is ridiculously hyperbolic.

The PC version is still the best version, and the core fighting is 99% of the game. Most of the stuff that was missing at launch was already added and was largely fluff in the first place.

The security update was lame but they already confirmed they're rolling that back in a day. It's still easily one of the best games of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom