• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Virginia is basically a 2-3 hour long cutscene where you have control of your character, but no real agency (though there are a few optional and actually tricky puzzles to do in the achievements that involve you sort of reading the achievement descriptions and trying to figure them out, many span over multiple chapters even). There is no choices, the story is linear, and you in the end have to do what the game wants you to do to progress. While it's narrative-based, the game doesn't have a line of dialogue in it, the characters don't even make any sounds at all. No grunts or breathing sounds either.

So why is it being so well received? Simple, it is an engaging experience that makes use of what only very few film directors figured out, let along game developers. The game manages to be touching, emotional, and have deeper characters than most games without a single spoken word, the music is phenomenal (performed by an orchestra), but with fantastic direction for a game as the music sort of moves and changes with your own actions, it does it so well the transitions feel natural and always fit what's going on, even if you take your time to get to the next point and continually lead well into each other and add so much to each scene. And the scenes themselves are engaging, I won't spoil it, but the game has some fantastic art direction, and builds up a multi-layered mystery with great environmental and detail story-telling full of repeating imagery, breath-taking scenes, and pulls from surrealist works of the likes of David Lynch not for mood, but the idea of deeper meanings and various connections you can make as you play of how everything connects and comes together.

It won't strike with everyone, but those who find the appeal of the game of the game may find themselves engrossed in it, and it definitely sticks with you past the ending. Also been reading a lot of people who finished and immediately went back to play through it again, it is a game with a lot to appreciate on a second playthrough, and is interesting to talk about theories, thoughts, and observations with others.

OK, FINE. I'll wishlist it.

It looks to take place in a particularly pretty part of the state too, which don't hurt.

Platy

Short one from Wok (a member here):

hGDOH5U.png

...this sounds like a mix of incredible machine, Monument Valley and Ghost Trick.

....I will only disapoint myself if I go on this terms

Someone in the free Gears thread saying an Amazon glitch is causing codes to be so cheap. I guess that could happen, right? Seems suspicious for 20+ codes @ $15 each to just appear, after all.

septicore

Can't decide which RPG to play first.

Dragon Quest VII 3DS remake or The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky on Steam.

Or should I play some shorter games to complete my 52 games for the year? I just finished AA6 which makes it the 44th game I've finished for the year.

Ludens

Banned
Well they didn't revoke 1$ RotTR keys from New Egg.

Dunno if it's the same thing, considering here is involved a fraud (using a fake CC is a fraud, purchasing a product sold for 1$ is not). Also I find very scummy people selling batch of keys by frauding Amazon not even one time, but again and again.
Anyway I preordered the Timeless Collector Edition for Quantum Break. I liked Alan Wake, and I like the fact I don't need to download 60 gb to play the game having the DVDs.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Buy something at the store, take it out of the box, fill it with some stones to approximate the weight, and return the box for a refund.

HAX'd

Buy something at the store, take it out of the box, fill it with some stones to approximate the weight, and return the box for a refund.

HAX'd

That happened to me years ago on eBay. Sold a 360, person said it didn't work demanded a refund so he sent me back a brick and some other crap in a box. Must have thought I was stupid or something, I contacted the local police, took a few times for them to take me seriously, but eventually persuaded them to go around his place. Got my money back straight away strangely enough! It was all a misunderstanding apparently.

septicore

Managed to grab a Gears 4 code for 3 dollars in BTC, got my friend to grab it for me.

Already redeemed the code and I hope Nvidia doesn't revoke it.

Wok

Oh cool. Thanks, Wok!

...this sounds like a mix of incredible machine, Monument Valley and Ghost Trick.

....I will only disapoint myself if I go on this terms

My review might be a bit misleading. Do not go in expecting Incredible Machines! I tried to draw a comparison, but it is not in the same genre. I like a lot what I have played of the game so far, and wanted to express this by giving a +1 to the Steam reviews.

In the game, there is this little guy doing his things, mostly running to doors and staying at bonfires, and you have a vision of him as if you were sitting on a cloud in the sky. You get to ring bells, light/unlight a few paths, move cubes, etc. in order to make the little guy go wherever you want, pull levers, go through doors, go through paths in the correct order, with the correct timing, etc. One appeal of the game is figuring out the mechanics and the way the little guy reacts to the environment. The game is beautiful and relaxing (music, graphics), and offers a few nice challenges so far, mostly due to the timed puzzles, and I expect to see more of them.

One thing which is a bit strange though is the resolution. It is 1080p but the menus look upscaled for some reason. I told the devs about this on the Steam forum and they said it is not the way it should look.

Another thing which might be surprising at first is that there is a kind of foveal vision applied to the screen, which means that the borders of the screen are blurry and the center is sharp.

Looking forward to getting an upgraded PC now, currently rocking the following:

770 4gb
8gb ram (ddr3)
I5 3570k at something or another (4ghz I think)

I think I'll get the GPU now and wait until 2017 for new CPUs and motherboards to drop so I can upgrade to at least 16gb of Ram at the same time.

GPU is the expensive single component anyway.

Ludens

Banned
Hitman Go is a nice game but only if you do some levels from time to time.
If you approch it like "I will play this from the start to the end" like "normal" games you will get bored soon, if you instead clear some levels and return on it after some weeks is ok.
Also if you like achievements, be aware some of them are bugged and can't be achieved at the moment (and probably never, since SE never patched the game from D1). Plus others require stupid stuff like dying 200 times or grinding kills.

derExperte

Managed to grab a Gears 4 code for 3 dollars in BTC, got my friend to grab it for me.

Already redeemed the code and I hope Nvidia doesn't revoke it.

BTC? And looks like I missed all the fun, went to bed when the really cheap keys under $10 popped up (k, got one for 10).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm entertaining the idea of upgrading my home PC. Which is better? GTX1060 or RX480?

They trade blows, but I'd go with a 6GB 1060 if you can't do as Knurek suggested and hold off a while longer so as to allow for a 1070.

They trade blows, but I'd go with a 6GB 1060 if you can't do as Knurek suggested and hold off a while longer so as to allow for a 1070.
Hmm that would bump the budget up from around 330 to 500 dollars. I'll think about it.

Maybe there will be price adjustments after GTX1080Ti, but Taiwanese retailers are very stingy.

Li Kao

Yikes at the Palmer Luckey stuff.

I have done that exact thing once and I'm still here.
As far as I recall, at the time at least, achievements would work and unlock as expected and my profile would actually update unlock dates with the new dates.

It's been a long time though so things may be different now.

Shit, so contradictory informations with what Steam forums seem to say.
Reset your achievements for a game to 0% and earn them back the normal way. I will have to choose soon because I have several half finished games I would like to come back to and it will not be really satisfactory if I feel like I'm putting on some years old worn shoes, for lack of a better metaphor.
Believe it or not, I'm not a fan at all of cheevos. But if we do it, then let me have some power over them.

venomenon

Not so long ago a co-op (survival?) game was mentioned here in which you play a married couple or something and have to escape the town you're in. Probably Early Access, I think it's not released yet. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I can't remember for shit what its name was...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom