• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried verifying the game cache, restarting Steam and manually installing the Direct X related stuff. Nothing, Dead Rising won't start. Hopefully they can fix it soon.

kagamin

Wauw, that's terrible:
zKfPcwD.png

Still gonna buy the Vita version on LRG though because I need it so bad.

Grimalkin

The growth phase of Steam is over, they stopped talking about member numbers a while ago, there's just no longer any need to pull people into the ecosystem, all pc gamers are going to find their way to steam now.

No, there's a huge, untapped market of PC gamers that don't have Steam and that's China. I have no idea if Valve is even going to try to get into China. Getting approval from the Ministry of Culture is a fucking nightmare of epic proportions, I don't even know how you'd do it with a storefront.

I know you can technically access steam from China right now but they don't have a government sanctioned, official version. Most Chinese gamers don't use it. "But DOTA2 has a Chinese version!" you say. Perfect World has the DOTA2 license in China and you run it from their launcher.

I think China's emerging gamer market is going to have large ripple effects on the industry in the next decade, especially for pc devs but that's off topic so I'll shut up.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
On another note; the Steam reviews update has a little thing where they acknowledge that users reporting stuff, but I would say Valve actually has the single worst record of any online community/company I've dealt with with respect to acting on reports.

And I'm not a frivolous reporter, I give great detail, I know the rules, and I really only report the worst of the worst. I can be reasonably sure the problem isn't me.

No, there's a huge, untapped market of PC gamers that don't have Steam and that's China. I have no idea if Valve is even going to try to get into China. Getting approval from the Ministry of Culture is a fucking nightmare of epic proportions, I don't even know how you'd do it with a storefront.

I know you can technically access steam from China right now but they don't have a government sanctioned, official version. Most Chinese gamers don't use it. "But DOTA2 has a Chinese version!" you say. Perfect World has the DOTA2 license in China and you run it from their launcher.

I think China's emerging gamer market is going to have large ripple effects on the industry in the next decade, especially for pc devs but that's off topic so I'll shut up.
Why does Steam needs government sanction when people could just use it? Steam has simplified Chinese interface and generous regional pricing, I think it's wrong to say Valve isn't already in the market.

The new review system will make review results be more positive, as ppl tend to be more positive about a game they put more money in as supposed to bundle extra's that cost comparatively nothing.
If a gamer gets a game completely free and reviews that game, I think the review will be less bias/more honest.

As a result of this, a positive review (result) will not be an indication of a good game. This beats the purpose.

Pixieking

Banned

I'd much rather have someone talking about China as an emerging games market than anime gifs, as it's a subject I don't know enough about. :)

The new review system will make review results be more positive, as ppl tend to be more positive about a game they put more money in as supposed to bundle extra's that cost comparatively nothing.
If a gamer gets a game completely free and reviews that game, I think the review will be less bias/more honest.

As a result of this, a positive review (result) will not be an indication of a good game. This beats the purpose.

Whereas I think the opposite - if I get something for free, I'm more positive about it due to it being free. "Hey, for what I paid for it (nothing) it's great!" I think you do get people defending something when they've invested a lot into it, but more often you get people voicing their disappointment after paying money.

MUnited83

For you.

Steam is not blocked in China, they even have regional pricing, and are also booming consumers.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
2016 release million sellers on Steam, paid (* excludes some Early Access games that have 2016 release dates but sold widely before, as well as games that granted key transfers from previous owners pre-2016):

1. Stardew Valley (~1.5 million)
2. Dark Souls III (1.05 million)
3. Doom (1.05 million)
4. Dead by Daylight (990k-ish)

End of list.

Deques

2016 release million sellers on Steam, paid (* excludes some Early Access games that have 2016 release dates but sold widely before, as well as games that granted key transfers from previous owners pre-2016):

3. Doom (1.05 million)

End of list.

Only three games passed 1 million sold copies this year? That's kinda low, or is my expectation too high?

Not gonna be excited till it's either $5 or on par with PS4/XBO. But I like Mai.

It's €7.99. Maybe the winter sale will be lower than $5 :)

yuraya

3. Doom (1.05 million)

End of list.

XCOM2 is getting close too. 950kish

Grimalkin

Why does Steam needs government sanction when people could just use it? Steam has simplified Chinese interface and generous regional pricing, I think it's wrong to say Valve isn't already in the market.

Right now steam only runs unoffically because it doesn't have enough market penetration to be worth blocking. If Valve ever wants to get even 10% of the Chinese market using steam they will need government approval.

If steam somehow did get popular in its current state the government would block it and people would lose access (w/o running a proxy which only power users know how to do and would be the kiss of death).

Basically they can't grow without the ministry of culture approval. They can't advertise without the approval, amongst many other things.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Ummm is SteamGAF basically PCGAF? I have cooling questions. My case is running at 83c and I don't like it.

I dont understand, what are the key differences between the old and new review system?

As I understand it, if you get the game from third party sellers like GMG and the like, your review won't count in the overall review state (positive or negative). People can still see your review in the review section though, if they include 'key activations' on the filter.

Ummm is SteamGAF basically PCGAF? I have cooling questions. My case is running at 83c and I don't like it.

To a degree. But just to make sure that someone can help you out, you can also post in 'I need a new PC!' thread.

Platy

Anyone who is excited?

*looks at the DoA5 DLC*

HOLY SHIT is some of the DLC ridiculously expensive in the USA too ?

I mean GTA 5 is priced here the same as the "Fun Theme Set" and Deus Ex Mankind Divided the same as "Variety Costume Set" and Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen the same price as the "Atack on Titan" costume set

That CANNOT be right

Right now steam only runs unoffically because it doesn't have enough market penetration to be worth blocking. If Valve ever wants to get even 10% of the Chinese market using steam they will need government approval.

If steam somehow did get popular in its current state the government would block it and people would lose access (w/o running a proxy which only power users know how to do and would be the kiss of death).

Basically they can't grow without the ministry of culture approval. They can't advertise without the approval, amongst many other things.
If China blocks Steam, it basically kills the entire non-F2P PC game market, both local retail stores and authorized Chinese online key sellers, driving China back into the piracy dark age, due to how prevalent Steamworks is. And China generally tries to attract foreign investment with its policies.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
*looks at the DoA5 DLC*

I mean GTA 5 is priced here the same as the "Fun Theme Set" and Deus Ex Mankind Divided the same as "Variety Costume Set" and Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen the same price as the "Atack on Titan" costume set

That CANNOT be right

Yes, the USD prices are the same level of extreme whale hunting ridiculousness. 800$+ bucks for all the DLC. Give them a few more years and they'll give that Train simulation game a run for it's money.

I have mixed feelings about pricey cosmetic DLC. I think Bethesda modding has spoiled me completely on the idea of paying to play dress-up and I know that's probably not right.

Deques

Yes, the USD prices are the same level of extreme whale hunting ridiculousness. 800$+ bucks for all the DLC. Give them a few more years and they'll give that Train simulation game a run for it's money.

I have mixed feelings about pricey cosmetic DLC. I think Bethesda modding has spoiled me completely on the idea of paying to play dress-up and I know that's probably not right.

I wonder if they are actually making money from those DLCs. How many are buying those overpriced DLCs and how much work is it required to make them?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
To a degree. But just to make sure that someone can help you out, you can also post in 'I need a new PC!' thread.
How big is your case?
Are there enough fans?
Have you cleaned it?
The I need a PC thread might get more response for you too.
We could most likely help you, but you'll also get more luck asking in the "I Need a New PC!" thread, where posts like yours are quite common. :)
I will definitely ask there tomorrow with better presentation while I'm at work. I never thanked them for the help building it anyway.
I definitely need another fans and I just spent a couple of hours making all the wires look nice. It helped with noise but not with heat. I just really don't know where that fan is gonna go.

I will definitely ask there tomorrow with better presentation while I'm at work. I never thanked them for the help building it anyway.
I definitely need another fans and I just spent a couple of hours making all the wires look nice. It helped with noise but not with heat. I just really don't know where that fan is gonna go.
I think, maybe, the fan on your CPU cooler is on the wrong side?

Corpekata

Banned

Is it your CPU that's getting hot or the GPU too? It might not have been seated correctly with the thermal paste. Your setup looks fine and should not be running very hot.

Uzzy

*looks at the DoA5 DLC*

That CANNOT be right

It's the price people will pay for their waifus.

Also Chun-Li > Mai

Hektor

Chris Metzen done with the industry, wow, he really was a big talent regardless of your thoughts on his later work. This is a golden opportunity for Blizzard to do some writer shopping, on the other hand.

Thank God I don't have to endure his fan fiction anymore.

kagamin

I only like DOA for the gameplay, thank god because my wallet wouldn't be able to sustain my purchases if I was more interested in the costume DLC aspect. I haven't even bought DOA5 at all I'm still playing the PC version of DOA2U, which was basically a F2P game that got shut down but there are still private servers up minus microtransactions, so its basically a fully functional port of DOA2U on PC.

Ludens

Banned
What a fail, the english Playstation stream died.
I don't know if it actually died or Sony killed it, because the translation sucked so much.

Jimrpg

As a PC game dev that just got out of the industry I can say "Fuck yes" to that one. The vast majority of keys on these key reselling sites are stolen or otherwise not legitimate. And yes, we know the keys are stolen for reasons I will explain below. Fraud is a huge issue that costs developers of all sizes a lot of money and these key reselling sites are currently the #1 place the fraudulent charges come from.

How does a developer know a key is stolen? Because the credit card companies will let us know with both an invoice and when a credit card chargeback happens not only does the developer lose the money from the sale but the devs are also charged a penalty from the credit card company for "allowing" the fraud to occur in the first place.

I worked on a AAA online PC game and our fraud penalties just from credit card companies was in the millions of dollars per month. Brainstorming solutions to try and stop these thieves was a big concern and yes, time and money was diverted from developing improvements to the actual game because the fraud was costing us so much money.

I'm not telling you that you shouldn't buy from G2A and similar places but know it does have a very real cost to developers and in turn how fast you, the consumer, get updates/improvements/new stuff. Maybe you say, "Fuck 'em, fraud's their problem" but it's also your problem when they have to address this gaping fraud hole that's bleeding out at an alarming rate.

That's just covering straight-up stolen keys. There are other issues where these sites can get a hold of keys in such a way that the developer isn't paid for them. We once had an issue with Green Man Gaming keys. They were getting keys that we (the devs) weren't being paid for, which we thought was odd since we had given them a bunch. It turns out that our game was so popular that they rapidly ran out of the keys we generated for them and one of the foreign branches of our publisher was generating thousands of "promo keys" of our game and selling them to GMG. When we figured out what was going on and reported it to the main branch, the publisher put a stop to it but we were never compensated for the "promo keys". This wasn't GMG's fault, and I'm not blaming GMG as how were they to know, but the devs still got fucked in the end.

What it comes down to is if you want to support a developer, buy from Steam or GOG, even on a 90% off sale. If you just want the cheapest price, period, keep buying from G2A and the like but know that the developer is very likely not seeing a single cent of your money.

That's not how keys are generated. They aren't generated on-demand on a per-purchase basis, there's no infrastructure in place to do that. They are typically generated in giant batches and we hand them off to legit storefronts, then when the storefront gets low on keys they notify the devs and the devs generate more and send another batch. Also they typically only come in 2 flavors, retail keys and promo keys. So no, there's no way to "track" the source of the key. If your key purchased from G2A gets deactivated on steam, that's all steam's doing once they are notified of the fraudulent charge.

Also, when you get the invoice from the CC company it doesn't give you any identifying information for the victim. It doesn't say "Bob Smith's Card # 14593251423 had a fraudulent charge". It tells you the date and source of the fraud. So you know it's say, a stolen Steam key. What I'm saying is devs can't know that a specific key was specifically sold on G2A but it's not hard to figure out in a general sense where the theft is coming from.

I didn't know the stolen key issue could be THAT bad. That's pretty horrible.

Would it help if you only sold your game thru Steam or GOG or other authorised channels? Or does selling retail copies and steam keys thru other means outnumber your fraud sales anyway?

Even if you sold it only thru Steam, there would still be some level of fraud, because Kinguin and G2A sell steam gifts. That would be annoying for the person doing the fraud because they would have to setup a new account everytime they got banned but it woudl be a start.

Hektor

NIER AUTOMATA RELEASING FEBRUARY 23TH. THE SAME MONTH AS PERSONA 5. AAAAAAAAHHHHHH.

THIS IS THE BEST.

AND I'M EVEN ABLE TO TAKE VACATION FROM WORK THAT MONTH. OMG.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It wouldn't be Valve system without having obvious exploits:

Family shared (as in you got game from family sharing) do count as "Product purchased directly from Steam", so you could use that for fake reviews for now. :p

I sincerely doubt this news will compel "review bombers" to begin creating Family Sharing networks.

yuraya

Kojima's description of Death Stranding is quite something.

An open world game where people are connected via rope? or threads? And they'll be able to touch each other using sticks? WTF is going on??????

So much trolling. I wouldn't believe a thing he says.

Ludens

Banned
Kojima's description of Death Stranding is quite something.

An open world game where people are connected via rope? or threads? And they'll be able to touch each other using sticks? WTF is going on??????

So much trolling. I wouldn't believe a thing he says.

In before they are linked by an umbilical cord to a big motherish thing, mark my words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom