• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

In before they are linked by an umbilical cord to a big motherish thing, mark my words.

That is what he wants you to believe. Its all lies.

The truth is

Norman Reedus is Gray Fox
Death Stranding is a VR Mission
The real name of the game is Metal Gear Solid 6: Return of the Phantom

Never be game over

Believe!

Ludens

Banned
That is what he wants you to believe. Its all lies.

The truth is

Norman Reedus is Gray Fox
Death Stranding is a VR Mission
The real name of the game is Metal Gear Solid 6: Return of the Phantom

Never be game over

Believe!

Nah, this is a Viva Pinata spin-off, I thought about that when he mentioned sticks.

Wok

Since the data is directly on the Steam store page, it would be immeasurably easy to get Enhanced Steam to show the "true" review score of a game accounting for all the reviews.

Could you just show an additional score which would be the average score of key activations? It would be interesting to be warned if there is some big discrepancy between Steam buyers and key activations.

Can we get to a page without that gif on the top?

(Yes, I'm 50ppp)

https://github.com/Ludophonic/NeoGFY

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Polyology -- MB-25A81436BF28C2B6 - Taken by redlacs
Parallels -- MB-19904030B09F6964 - Taken by Madn
Chill the Piro -- MB-FCECAC27E6B07B73 - Taken by ThirtyFour
Reptilian Rebellion -- MB-525609D586ABA1C3 - Taken by rainking187
Sandmason -- MB-BCFE22F9C0EC5004 - Taken by Mikurden
Conclusion -- MB-24CF028C88CDE91B - Taken by fuzzy123

Arthea

new review system changes are great

- you can filter reviews by steam purchases versus key activations
- key activations don't count for the overall score
- 160 games had significant divergences in key activation score / steam purchase score (i.e. evidence of review tampering)
- 14% of games will have a score category change

next up:
- ways to detect games where dumb fucking internet morons upvote and signal boost their spam reviews that don't represent what actual human beings think about the game
- better ways to filter off-topic meme reviews

great? for reals?
You are aware that most people buy games outside steam, I'm sure, so why?
it's basically RIP steam rating system and it worked surprisingly good, for me at least.

or are you sarcastic, doesn't look like it if you are.

It is discrimination of poor folks, and we shouldn't be OK with this, but as usual nobody will care.

If it means the internet gets a little less power, I'm willing to take that trade off.

giving powers away now?
when we already have close to none?
what's wrong with you?

Card Boy

Banned
new review system changes are great

- you can filter reviews by steam purchases versus key activations
- key activations don't count for the overall score
- 160 games had significant divergences in key activation score / steam purchase score (i.e. evidence of review tampering)
- 14% of games will have a score category change

next up:
- ways to detect games where dumb fucking internet morons upvote and signal boost their spam reviews that don't represent what actual human beings think about the game
- better ways to filter off-topic meme reviews

I don't get how key activations don't count for the overall score is great. 95% of my Steam collection are purchased outside of Steam. Steam has being a rip off for the past few years. Also evidence of review tampering is your assumption and something you cannot prove.

edit: i too can't tell if its sarcasm.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who don't write any reviews it's a great solution as long as the data is more accurate now

d00d3n

Anyone who tried the RPG Ember? Was released september 9th and seems to be getting good reviews. There is a 15% off promotion running currently that will end september 16th.

Let's pick a game or two from the list that will be delayed.

1. Horizon Zero Dawn

Nobody would be surprised that's for sure.
I wouldn't mind Nier getting delayed, it's so damn close to Persona 5.
Then there's Yakuza 0 in january. I was forced to skip a lot of games I wanted this year but I really want to support Nier and Yakuza at launch, I hope I can afford it. At least Nier being on PC will make it cheaper.
Horizon will have to wait, as much as it pains me.

Anyone who tried the RPG Ember? Was released september 9th and seems to be getting good reviews. There is a 15% off promotion running currently that will end september 16th.

I'm playing Ember. I'd definitely recommend it.

My first impressions:
Just finished my first session, I'm liking it as well.

The map is pretty huge and we can actually go anywhere without restriction. However you'll find monsters higher level than us if we're careless. Loot is also numerous and satisfying, I keep getting gear upgrades every now and then. Skill system is somewhat unique, we get active skills from the equipment. Combat is the usual RTwP, but unfortunately we can only control the main character. Party member is controlled by AI and we can only use their skills manually. RPG aspect is also good, there's always a peaceful or lethal way of dealing with people, whether it's quest giver or bandits. I hope I can find a village or town soon, but according to the world map it's still a long way to go. Pretty excited to play more later tonight.

Some screens.
11E51CCB84EA478FE0AECD09FDA95154B29D1A23

C4AEC6B8D65875C4ECCF6B39B1D9CF74C462CBAD

4680F4680611BDB474E329766BE63EBDA976CFBB

Arthea

As someone who don't write any reviews it's a great solution as long as the data is more accurate now

how exactly it is more accurate?
I just checked my reviews - 28. Of this number only 11 adds into steam ratings now, that's less than a half. Of my 3 negative reviews, only one now counts, because it's for a f2p game.

yeah, incredible update, amazing! we deserve to be treated like this, clearly.

Mikurden

Steam review stuff

Steam review stuff

By default, this will now screen out instances of review tampering (as well as lots of perfectly legit reviews) but we control the filter and can click to see the score when all reviews are included, so it's good all-around because we have more control and can easily judge for ourselves whether we think review tampering is skewing the results for a particular game.

Pixieking

Banned
I like the new "review stuff". It's easier to find now why someone disliked a game everyone else likes, for example.

Yeah, people who are annoyed because the KS didn't live up to their dreams, or the devs didn't give a Steam key straight away (Elite: Dangerous, for example), will now be placed under key activations. Whilst that kind-of thing can be useful, the review-bombing that can happen under those circumstances is more hassle than it's worth a lot of the time, and it means it can be filtered out more easily.

Edit: It's worth bearing in mind that Steam isn't the only place where customer reviews are an issue. Amazon has a problem with 1) paid reviews and 2) reviews that don't focus on the actual item (complaining about delivery or packaging, for instance). Whilst their review system isn't skewed towards people who have bought the item on Amazon, they do note "Verified Purchase" on reviews of items that were bought on the site, to help consumers.

Arthea

By default, this will now screen out instances of review tampering (as well as lots of perfectly legit reviews) but we control the filter and can click to see the score when all reviews are included, so it's good all-around because we have more control and can easily judge for ourselves whether we think review tampering is skewing the results for a particular game.

we have no control at all, suddenly our reviews doesn't matter, unless we buy a game on steam. Who has control of what again?
Tampering maybe is a small issue, but this solution is killing a patient because he's sick, it's no solution at all.

We can't filter anything, steam shows rating calculated of reviews for steam bought games, you can read other reviews as well, true, but ratings are now botched. When you check games list, you see only those ratings, period.

OTOH, that system worked too good, it had to be screwed.

Ascheroth

we have no control at all, suddenly our reviews doesn't matter, unless we buy a game on steam. Who has control of what again?
Tampering maybe is a small issue, but this solution is killing a patient because he's sick, it's no solution at all.

We can't filter anything, steam shows rating calculated of reviews for steam bought games, you can read other reviews as well, true, but ratings are now botched. When you check games list, you see only those ratings, period.

OTOH, that system worked too good, it had to be screwed.

ZE3ccDx.png

You can filter ratings (hovering over the 'Positiv' in this case gives the percentages). And this even gives some interesting new data, like comparing the number of Steam purchases with Key activations.

Arthea

http://i.imgur.com/ZE3ccDx.png[/IMG
You can filter ratings (hovering over the 'Positiv' in this case gives the percentages). And this even gives some interesting new data, [B]like comparing the number of Steam purchases with Key activations[/B].[/QUOTE]
You can't filter ratings itself in any way, I checked.

(bold part) That's no useful data, it only shows how many of people wrote review, not how many bought it where.
I mean it's no indication of who and in what number bought games where.

Yeah, people who are annoyed because the KS didn't live up to their dreams, or the devs didn't give a Steam key straight away (Elite: Dangerous, for example), will now be placed under key activations. Whilst that kind-of thing can be useful, the review-bombing that can happen under those circumstances is more hassle than it's worth a lot of the time, and it means it can be filtered out more easily.

Edit: It's worth bearing in mind that Steam isn't the only place where customer reviews are an issue. Amazon has a problem with 1) paid reviews and 2) reviews that don't focus on the actual item (complaining about delivery or packaging, for instance). Whilst their review system isn't skewed towards people who have bought the item on Amazon, they do note "Verified Purchase" on reviews of items that were bought on the site, to help consumers.

While I heartily enjoy the fact that people that neg voted my game but got it for free will be now categorized (seriously, I got a new one today that was angry that he was forced to get my game with his bundle [it devalued his dollar or something]), it is still going to factor in to the overall filter on Steam.

I've never flagged reviews before, but some of the negs I get are just petty as fuck.

Ascheroth

You can't filter ratings itself in any way, I checked.

(bold part) That's no useful data, it only shows how many of people wrote review, not how many bought it where.
I mean it's no indication of who and in what number bought games where.

You have every filter option available on the store page of each individual game. You can check how it was rated overall, by Steam purchases, by key activations, even by different languages. I fail to see how this is that big of a problem.

oipic

You have every filter option available on the store page of each individual game. You can check how it was rated overall, by Steam purchases, by key activations, even by different languages. I fail to see how this is that big of a problem.

The distinction here is ratings versus reviews, if I understand it correctly; yes, you can filter the reviews by key or store purchase, but not the ratings - they're derived solely via the reviews from Steam store purchasers, regardless of the filter.

Ascheroth

The distinction here is ratings versus reviews, if I understand it correctly; yes, you can filter the reviews by key or store purchase, but not the ratings - they're derived solely via the reviews from Steam store purchasers, regardless of the filter.

But this filter does include the key activations in the rating if you hover over it. It's 90% positiv for all, 89% positiv from Steam Purchases (what is also shown at the top of the store page) and 92% positive from Key Activations. (Game in question is Dragon's Dogma)
Or am I just completely missing something here?
Yeah, it only shows the rating derived from the Steam Purchases besides the game in searches and lists but you still have all the information available on the individual store pages.

Arthea

It still doesn't change a rating of a game in the slightest, hence you can't filter rating

But this filter does include the key activations in the rating if you hover over it. It's 90% positiv for all, 89% positiv from Steam Purchases (what is also shown at the top of the store page) and 92% positive from Key Activations. (Game in question is Dragon's Dogma)
Or am I just completely missing something here?
Yeah, it only shows the rating derived from the Steam Purchases besides the game in searches and lists but you still have all the information available on the individual store pages.

you are missing the main point, whatever you do in the game page (and most people do nothing of the sort, some maybe read top review or two (which actually now are recent reviews, instead of previously long ago being most helpful), doesn't let you filter or change game ratings to include all reviews. It lowers accuracy of steam ratings in general, we don't know by what margin yet, but it does.
That's why this update is a horrible idea.
I don't understand how anybody can think it's a good thing, but again it must be just me.
not to mention, it is discriminating in very specific way.

Yes, it changes the rating.

So your review is still visible, but does not contribute to the average rating except if the consumer chooses so.

no, it does not
I can do this all day, kindly prove that it changes, I tried, it doesn't

consumer can't choose anything, rating consists only of reviews of steam purchases yet again.

Wok

It still doesn't change a rating of a game in the slightest, hence you can't filter rating

Yes, it changes the rating.

So your review is still visible, but does not contribute to the average rating except if the consumer chooses so.

Changes to reviews seem like a necessary evil. They were pretty much useless before because people would just shit on games or praise them because of the dumbest reasons. Now at least if people have to buy it on the steam store then the reviews there will be more honest and relevant.

Phinor

Was looking this game yesterday http://store.steampowered.com/app/341000 and it just left early access. Positive reviews too, anyone knows it?

Whoa, I bought it almost two years ago from some deal because it looked interesting but it being early access I didn't even want to try it before it launches. If you hadn't mentioned it, I wonder how long it would have taken for me to notice that it has left early access. Can't help with an opinion though :)

Deques

Changes to reviews seem like a necessary evil. They were pretty much useless before because people would just shit on games or praise them because of the dumbest reasons. Now at least if people have to buy it on the steam store then the reviews there will be more honest and relevant.

In a way it seems great, but what about games bought from other stores?

Pixieking

Banned
More reactions on Twitter:

Florinyan
‏@EKTOutie

I wonder if the Steam review exclusion also includes gift copies. Dev chucks key into throwaway acct's inventory, gifts it to reviewer.
Tom Hatfield ‏@WordMercenary 26m26 minutes ago

@retroremakes interesting how that disincentivises developers to use steam's competitors isn't it?

Tom Hatfield
‏@WordMercenary

The new steam review system unduly punishes any game that was Kickstartered. And it won't fix reviews because user reviews cannot be fixed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
no, it does not

You're looking in the wrong spot. If you adjust the purchase type/language filters, the accompanying aggregate review score changes. Take, for instance, Half-Life 2: if you change the purchase type to Key Activations, the score will drop from Overwhelmingly Positive to Very Positive.

More reactions on Twitter:

Well, developers can't activate keys as gift copies or otherwise freely distribute gift copies (short of buying them), so there's that concern assuaged.

Wok

no, it does not

consumer can't choose anything, rating consists only of reviews of steam purchases yet again.

What did you try?

I had to look for a game with differences between ratings based on where they purchased the game, I found Volume (in a Humble Monthly):

Steam purchasers: VERY POSITIVE (account for 75% of reviews)
ZgBRxFE.png

Humble Monthly subscribers: MIXED (account for 25% of reviews)
2M5hyRc.png

For most games that I checked, the average review score was the same.

So, basically:
  • you change the average review score for a very few number of games by biasing the sample of review scores,
  • you keep all the reviews for people to read,
  • you give control to the consumer.

Arthea

They never were useless, IDK where you get the idea.
are we having "it's for our own good" argument yet again?
for reals? I'm outa here, valve can do no wrong, right? and never did before

oh and lol to the bold part
all trolls are poor, am I right?

You're looking in the wrong spot. If you adjust the purchase type/language filters, the accompanying aggregate review score changes. Take, for instance, Half-Life 2: if you change the purchase type to Steam Key Activations, the score will drop from Overwhelmingly Positive to Very Positive.

mine doesn't change, I tried many times, for different games.
IDK what to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom