• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

ReCore reviews are pretty bad. 64 metacritic.

PC version seems to be the way to go tho with 60fps and better load times.

Should be out on Steam in time for the winter seal ;)

Ladybaby>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Baby Metal

47339252.jpg

More Updates to The Steam Customer Review System

http://store.steampowered.com/news/24155/

no good is going to come out of this.

MUnited83

For you.
You know, knowing how many people get it from keys compared to direct steam purchases is a interesting bit of data. I can't agree with the dumb "key reviews cannot be at the top", but aside from that it's cool.

edit:

oh, wait

"Customers that received the game from a source outside of Steam (e.g. via a giveaway site, purchased from another digital or retail store, or received for testing purposes from the developer) will still be able to write a review of the game on Steam to share their experience. These reviews will still be visible on the store page, but they will no longer contribute to the score."

well, FUCK THAT. That's terrible.

Annubis

Well, it's a good way to bring business to Steam itself.

All those curators now have to buy games on Steam directly instead of (perhaps cheaper) elsewhere.

EDIT: I'm not saying it's a good thing. Just that it's a smart business decision.

madjoki

You know, knowing how many people get it from keys compared to direct steam purchases is a interesting bit of data.

And this is probably only good chance.

I'd like to see at least both reviews counted separately.

So Steam Product Keys are second tier folks now? There should be some better way to combat astroturfing than keeping Steam Product Keys from reviews.

Pretty much. I guess this affect smallest games most. Big AAA games have enough reviews as is.

Well, it's a good way to bring business to Steam itself.

All those curators now have to buy games on Steam directly instead of (perhaps cheaper) elsewhere.

EDIT: I'm not saying it's a good thing. Just that it's a smart business decision.

Curator system is separate from reviews, it's not affected.

Nzyme32

You know, knowing how many people get it from keys compared to direct steam purchases is a interesting bit of data. I can't agree with the dumb "key reviews cannot be at the top", but aside from that it's cool.

edit:

oh, wait

"Customers that received the game from a source outside of Steam (e.g. via a giveaway site, purchased from another digital or retail store, or received for testing purposes from the developer) will still be able to write a review of the game on Steam to share their experience. These reviews will still be visible on the store page, but they will no longer contribute to the score."

well, FUCK THAT. That's terrible.

This could be fixed if they did one little thing

- "will no longer contribute to the score" unless you select then to do so.

I can see the logic that got them there but it is like taking a shotgun to kill an ant. Curious to see how this plays out anyway. It has its positives and negatives

Nabs

For TIS-100/Spacechem fans:

SHENZHEN I/O: BUILD CIRCUITS. WRITE CODE. RTFM.

Coming to Steam Early Access on October 6th, 2016!

Site/Purchase: http://www.zachtronics.com/shenzhen-io/ / Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5TbHcK_qvE

• Build circuits using a variety of components from different manufacturers, like microcontrollers, memory, logic gates, and LCD screens.
  • Write code in a compact and powerful assembly language where every instruction can be conditionally executed.
  • Read the manual, which includes over 30 pages of original datasheets, reference guides, and technical diagrams (included as a PDF, with a physical version available for purchase separately).
  • Get to know the colorful cast of characters at your new employer, 深圳龙腾科技有限公司 (Shenzhen Longteng Electronics Co., Ltd.), located in the electronics capital of the world.
  • Get creative! Design and test your own games and devices in the sandbox.
  • Engineering is hard! Take a break and play a brand-new twist on solitaire.

It's launching at $14.99 on October 6th. There's also a $39.99 special edition with a physical manual, binder and other secret things.

kagamin

ReCore reviews are pretty bad. 64 metacritic.

PC version seems to be the way to go tho with 60fps and better load times.

Should be out on Steam in time for the winter seal ;)

Oh? Well I shouldn't be surprised about the performance I guess since its DX11.

Teggy

For TIS-100/Spacechem fans:

TIS-100 broke me very quickly. That looks like Rocky's Boots on crack-covered meth.

I played Blue Sheep. Didn't like it too much.

The idea of this game is a lot better than the game itself turned out to be. I applaud the creators for putting it together with such limited resources and I hope they will be able to put more polish in their next game. I think they deserve that shot, but I don't think the visuals and concept of this game overcome the fact that it is simply not fun to play.

The good:
beautiful stylized scenery
a unique protagonist
original soundtrack
simple, but moving story
decent puzzles

The bad:
No resolution above 1080p
Locked at 35fps

The ugly:
Boring, repetive combat
Character clipping into geometry
Inconsistent, frustrating controls

Nzyme32

After having read the statement fully about review changes, it's a bit more well reasoned and not exactly final, and while it won't show on the main score bit, you can just switch the filter to suit your taste so that the score with the review section represents what you want it to. Not bad for me since that is where I will look for games I'm interested in.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Since the data is directly on the Steam store page, it would be immeasurably easy to get Enhanced Steam to show the "true" review score of a game accounting for all the reviews.

madjoki

It wouldn't be Valve system without having obvious exploits:

Family shared (as in you got game from family sharing) do count as "Product purchased directly from Steam", so you could use that for fake reviews for now. :p

yuraya

I don't consider 64 metracritic 'bad'. Maybe mediocre or a love it/hate it game.

The way I see it

87-100 = Masterpiece
80-86 = okay but forgettable
70-79 = mediocre
60-69 = bad
50-59 = shit
40-49 = broken mess
30-39 = absolutely disgusting
20-29 = youarealreadydead.jpg

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
There are five levels of different types of bad in that system and only three that are in anyway positive.

The three point system is the only real grading system worthwhile.

kagamin

The way I see it

87-100 = Masterpiece
80-86 = okay but forgettable
70-79 = mediocre
60-69 = bad
50-59 = shit
40-49 = broken mess
30-39 = absolutely disgusting
20-29 = youarealreadydead.jpg

The way I see it, if the game has divisive reviews its definitely worth my time.
MbbXGPH.png

DEFINITIVE SCORE RANKING
0-69 ~ it's garbage what are you doing looking at it
70-74 ~ bad
75-77 ~ below average
78-79 ~ average
80-89 ~ AAA game
90-94 ~ classic game
95-100 ~ reviews just hit for a AAA game​
In truth, the industry follows a 7 star rating system. Dragonball was right.

More Updates to The Steam Customer Review System

http://store.steampowered.com/news/24155/
I like how they explain candidly and honest what the problems are at hand. Good they are trying to do something about it even if it sounds pretty heavy-handed.
Changes To The Review Score

As a result of this, we are making some changes to how review scores are calculated. As of today, the recent and overall review scores we show at the top of a product page will no longer include reviews written by customers that activated the game through a Steam product key.
This for example is pretty heavy. Voices don't count equally no more. The consumerist apartheid has started.
;)
Next Steps

We are aware that these changes do not address all of the feedback and suggestions presented by members of the Steam community. We are working to address these other issues, which mainly pertain to the helpfulness of reviews:

There are some titles where the most helpful reviews don't seem to accurately match the general customer sentiment. For example, there are a couple of prominent titles that have review scores of 'positive' but all the reviews marked as helpful are negative. We need to look at this to figure out how to represent cases where the community has highly divergent opinions.
There are some titles where a small group of users are able to consistently mark specific reviews as helpful, and as a result can present a skewed perception of what customers are saying about the game. This is obviously not ideal, so we're looking at ways to ensure that a few users don't have outsized influence over the system.
Some off-topic reviews get marked as 'helpful' simply because they are funny. These don't appear to actually be helpful in determining whether you should buy the game, so we're working on some ways to better detect and filter out these.
These sound good. They ought to need many people exclusively reading/filtering reviews though.

Here's my flawless rating system:

0-59 = bundle filler
60-69 = the tier of Inafune and Koei games
70-79 = every anime game that's not Astro Boy Omega Factor
80-89 = $5 Steam Sale Tier
90-97 = meh it's ok
98-100 = Popeye's Chicken Tier

rtcn63

I just remembered how feel-sy Bioshock 2 is and I don't think I can replay it. The game really knows how to push your emotional buttons.

Have to keep subjectivity of reviews in mind but so far I've had no fun with sub-60 rated things but generally a good time with anything above to varying degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom