• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Oh. Another "Steam is shit because of stuff you dont even see as a normal user thread":

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1433618

I have 2700 games on my account, been on Steam for 13 years now and never ever even saw a NeoNazi group, either recommended by my Steamfriends or "accidentaly" found.

Their handling of this is pretty unacceptable, to be honest. I wouldn't delete my own account for it, but the sentiment is very important to hold during this time where Valve is increasingly discovering that its dream of full automation is not possible. Any site willing to call Valve out on it is doing the right thing.

Oh. Another "Steam is shit because of stuff you dont even see as a normal user thread":

I have 2700 games on my account, been on Steam for 13 years now and never ever even saw a NeoNazi group, either recommended by my Steamfriends or "accidentaly" found.

Have seen very little of it myself, and when I do, I don't necessarily feel responsible for it happening either. I will post answers in threads for games/communities I care about there, but I'm a Steam customer for my sake primarly, to be able to get and play the games I want to play. I'm not going to stop that because people are being dicks on the internet there, like they are in every other place as well.

The article's title is hyperbolic, and the author even writes a disclaimer that he doesn't really even care about the games available on Steam or the PC as gaming platform in general.

Valve could and should do better of course, but that can be said without the added drama.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Going disagree with this. Steam's moderation is extremely poor. I have played with plenty of people with shit names, alongside inappropriate pictures.

The complaint is a legit one. Even if it doesn't affect you personally, there are people out there playing them. And if Valve doesn't want to take action against the most extreme cases even, it's a pretty big fault on their part. They shouldn't get a free pass on this.

MaxiLive

I haven't seen any issues for it but I suppose awareness is good as Valve do seem rather chill with the game vetting process and it seems to take a while for a game to get pulled or user to be banned etc. Hasn't affected me personally though.

I just stumbled upon this which I thought was weird. Some retro Youtuber has received video take down notices from Microsoft for calling his videos "Story Mode" yet having no content relating to Microsoft. Guessing because of Minecraft Story Mode?

https://youtu.be/ojztWJJ5FeA?t=13m31s

Didn't know they could take down videos for that!

Ludens

Banned
http://store.steampowered.com/app/633950/Fall_of_Light/

This seems very interesting.

Also guess what game is this:

Metal-Gear-Survive-TGS-2017-Screen-1.jpg

Hektor

Either the Journal in D:OS2 sucks or quests are broken.

I have two entries in the journal that very expressively tell me to speak to specific NPC's, but nothing actually happens if i do other than a short acknowledgement that the quest is active

Wok

I have no idea what this game actually is but I've been interested solely from what I saw in the past of the lady with the defined abs and weird face.

q5ALbFp.png

You don't see that often.

Yeah, I have downloaded the prologue solely due to this woman's look.

Oh. Another ”Steam is shit because of stuff you don't even see as a normal user thread":

I have 2700 games on my account, been on Steam for 13 years now and never ever even saw a NeoNazi group, either recommended by my Steamfriends or ”accidentally" found.

I hope that dude has deleted his Facebook account too, because I have yet to see on Steam a Russian-paid ad which would be able to influence the democratic process of my country.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/opinion/facebook-wins-democracy-loses.html

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/14/f...rtising-categories-prompts-system-inspection/

Edit: Alright. No hypocrisy. Not a bit.

uFvwf8d.png

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Added 3200x1800 with CRU, but when I set the game as that and launch it either crashes or runs at like 3fps and has black bars at the side?

I usually run it at the higher resolution of 2160p too with no problems

And now my TV says invalid format when trying 3072x1728 :'(

Yet it works fine on the desktop, wtf

Anyone got any experience with this?

Monooboe

It took forever for me. I think it ran for an entire day before I got all the cards though I did end up with a foil.

Ah nice, worth it then!:D I did get one foil for one Sakura game, think I got 50 cents or something for it, so not much considering an anime game but still was nice,.

Have seen very little of it myself, and when I do, I don't necessarily feel responsible for it happening either. I will post answers in threads for games/communities I care about there, but I'm a Steam customer for my sake primarly, to be able to get and play the games I want to play. I'm not going to stop that because people are being dicks on the internet there, like they are in every other place as well.

The article's title is hyperbolic, and the author even writes a disclaimer that he doesn't really even care about the games available on Steam or the PC as gaming platform in general.

Valve could and should do better of course, but that can be said without the added drama.

I am not saying Valve isnt bad at moderation.

But I would argue that, as long as you dont look for bad games or Neonazi groups, you wont encounter them on Steam.

Knurek

I love, love, love, LOVE those posts saying 'Steam is bad because it's a monopoly, that's why I buy everything on PC on GOG and Humble and Origin.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 18 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dead Bits -- MB-82F047CDB866C079 - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat. 2 entrants total.
Discovery A Seek and Find Adventure -- MB-C76E166384C0B831 - Taken by dot. 6 entrants total.
HUNTSMAN THE ORPHANAGE -- MB-67F6C184E6FC686C - Taken by bwral12. 1 entrants total.
Little Farm -- MB-3C6470241FAFD038 - Taken by yoshizzle. 2 entrants total.
Luxor 5th Passage -- MB-32C98FD66DC109AC - Taken by dot. 2 entrants total.
Luxor Evolved -- MB-3B6788E716D83175 - Taken by gaiadyne. 2 entrants total.
Midnight Mysteries 4 Haunted Houdini -- MB-043D1DCD57EC7BF4 - Taken by fspm. 1 entrants total.
Midnight Mysteries Salem Witch Trials -- MB-9AA708C266EFCC5F - Taken by Mikurden. 1 entrants total.
NANINIGHTS -- MB-C9745CCD8B5E8A4C - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat. 1 entrants total.
No Time To Explain Remastered -- MB-1B3F205AEE8DF13A - Taken by TheGreenArrow. 2 entrants total.
ORBURON -- MB-A399D453DDF38C4B - Taken by gaiadyne. 1 entrants total.
Particula -- MB-F0A1FFD35B83D042 - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat. 1 entrants total.
QUESTRUN -- MB-964619207152E94D - Taken by krczt23. 1 entrants total.
QUESTRUN #2- -- MB-A414CAD0096DA479
QUESTRUN #3 -- MB-4C2184752B484CFC
TIDALIS -- MB-D74BF100A70E9CA9 - Taken by krczt23. 1 entrants total.
Woodle Tree Adventures -- MB-43363BC289AEDDB4 - Taken by lazerfox. 1 entrants total.
X-COM: UFO Defense -- MB-B14324673A73D467 - Taken by pantsattack. 3 entrants total.

t1505502905z1.png

I am not saying Valve isnt bad at moderation.

But I would argue that, as long as you dont look for bad games or Neonazi groups, you wont encounter them on Steam.
If you play Valve's own games you're way more likely to just stumble upon that kind of nastiness since they front Steam avatars and tend to have some kind of name customization for the items you use. Getting killed by a Black Box in Team Fortress 2 for instance to have the mandatory freeze frame close-up of your opponent with the little description box where you can see they've renamed it to the ever classy "N***** Box" or something.

I think the only time I've seen actual action towards that sort of thing was a bit after they introduced competitive matchmaking in the game and the guy in the #1 slot was named "BIG CUM" or something to that effect, and it took a lot of hubbub to get that taken care of.

The most egregious case of this to me is a particular idiot with a community weapon, which are "Given to valuable Community Contributors" by description, by Valve themselves. One such valuable contributor has a whole slew of tasteless renames, and it's been like this for years.

Vuze

^ might as well just be the game being capped at a certain resolution.

Anyone here who has transfered the authenticator from one phone to another recently?
Steam has instructions on it but as usual a bit vague... Do I need to wipe my old phone before logging in and following the instructions? Or will the authenticator on the old phone simply stop working afterwards?

E: After looking up how Google Authenticator handles it, I guess old phone will just produce new codes that are invalid.

The Unlucky Seven steam page updated with a new trailer and screenshots.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/579120/Unlucky_Seven/

This game has a really interesting style to it, I hope it's good.
Writing in the description is awful, where are they from?
Instead of attending Alcoholics Anonymous meeting, they go to a birthday party in a luxury motel. Unfortunately, the owner just ate a delicious human liver sausage. And the appetite comes with eating. The party of their life becomes a party of their death.

sadblob

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Blaite -- MB-950CE7A73EC0452A - Taken by rainking187

I unlocked all the towers in Watch Dogs, now to mainline the campaign. The online bit was interesting though. Does it stay pretty benign or can it be humiliating?

Parsnip

^ might as well just be the game being capped at a certain resolution.

Anyone here who has transfered the authenticator from one phone to another recently?
Steam has instructions on it but as usual a bit vague... Do I need to wipe my old phone before logging in and following the instructions? Or will the authenticator on the old phone simply stop working afterwards?

E: After looking up how Google Authenticator handles it, I guess old phone will just produce new codes that are invalid.

I would just disable the authenticator on the old phone, you'll automatically go back to getting steam guard emails at that point. Then move sim to new phone if you need to, and then enable the authenticator there. If you don't move sim, you probably need to update your phone number in the Steam. You'll lose market access for 15 days but that should do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom