• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediyoshi

For a game you've preordered that doesn't have preload, is there a way to have it automatically start downloading once it's released?

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Played the Destiny 2 beta and cancelled my preorder
so that I could preorder it again to get a free pair of socks from Best Buy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I did a check-in tonight to a guest called Maxwell Payne.

So I asked "Max Payne?", he smiled and said yes. I smiled and left it there, wasn't sure if he would get the reference or not :p

zkylon

zkylewd
I did a check-in tonight to a guest called Maxwell Payne.

So I asked "Max Payne?", he smiled and said yes. I smiled and left it there, wasn't sure if he would get the reference or not :p
oh that's so awesome

max payne is the best videogame person

Monooboe

Oh hells yeah guys! I can game again, well somewhat, I will be a fulltime Mac gamer for a longer time, but I have to say I am quite impressed about the amount of games for Mac, out of my 1700 game library I can play almost 900 of them on Mac.

NeoRaider

I played Destiny 2 beta and then 2 QP matches and i got bored so fast. I couldn't wait for it to be over.

I surprised myself for liking Overwatch so much since it's released. But Destiny is not for me. But it looks and runs great.

Tizoc

Which ones? Weren't there a dozen versions of each? I remember they had SF2 Championship Edition (Ken vs. Ken! Play as M. Bison!) and Hyper Fighting, which to me seemed like a romhack with air throws and hadoukens at different speeds, then there was Super Street Fighter II which introduced Cammy and three people nobody cares about...there were for sure others. Didn't play much SF3.

I see someone's flashed the Birdman Signal.

Here is a quick rundown of the SF2 series

Street Fighter II
The original games ran on Capcom's CPS1 Arcade board, and there were at least 3 games on the CPS1

Street Fighter II
98qQDXF.png
e0voXEE.png

Released in 1991, this is the one that started it all, this one featured 8 characters:
Ryu, Ken, ChunLi, Guile, Blanka, Dhalsim, E. Honda, Zangief (Ryu and Ken played the exact same)

Street Fighter II' Champion Edition
QJMj2zZ.png
6VLiKKd.png

The 4 bosses (M. Bison, Balrog, Sagat, Vega) were made playable and you can do mirror matches. There was some rebalancing done as well.

Street Fighter II' Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Referred to as HF for short, this ver. of the game features further rebalancing and speeds up the gameplay.

There were also romhacks of the CPS1 SF2 games which came to be known as 'Rainbow Edition'. There are supposedly lots of different Rainbow Edition romhacks, but generally they involve having crazy shit happeneing like E. Honda firing dozens of hadukens onscreen among other weirdness.

Next come the CPS2 Arcade board games
Super Street Fighter II The New Challengers
WUortHQ.png
ebE7BdT.png

4 new characters were added: T. Hawk, DJ, Fei Long and Cammy. Further rebalancing was done as well.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo
AKA Super Street Fighter II X in Japan, and released in 1994, the following changes were made
1- Further rebalancing
2- Each character can now perform a Super Move
3- You can play as non-Super bar ver. of the characters, but they had differences from their New Challengers ver. (These are referred to as 'Old characters', eg O. Sagat, O. Ken)
4- A new secret boss character, Gouki/Akuma was introduced. You could play as him but generally he is banned in tournies

For the most part, Super Turbo is the go to game of the SF2 series far as pro players and tournies go. Of the CPS1 era, I think either CE or HF are the go to games, though I am leaning more on HF if memory serves me right @_@

About a decade later Capcom released Hyper Street Fighter II, this one allowed you to play any of the 5 (or 2) versions of characters from the previous games against each other.
OasHYlN.jpg

Ah that lovely Ikeno artstyle <3

Note that I'm disregarding the console ports on 16-bit era onwards, though at least 2 'ports' are worth noting-
Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival/Super SF2 X Revival
8hl2uC7.jpg

SF2 Revival/SF2 X Revival on the GBA had different stages for characters for one thing.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix[/url]
This rebalance had the sprites and backgrounds traced over via UDON, the overall rebalance and art was met with mixed reception and generally this ver. of the game isn't played in tournies, etc.

Ultra Street Fighter II
Released recently for the Switch, it uses the HD Remix sprites and has further rebalances along with 2 new characters: Violent (non-Afro) Ken and Evil Ryu.

Street Fighter III series is easier as there are only 3 games in the series:
New Generation
10 characters: Alex, Ryu, Ken, Yun/Yang, Sean, Dudley, Ibuki, Elena, Oro and Necro
There were no EX moves, and Yun and Yang played the same. The final boss is Gill who is unplayable.

Second Impact
Yun and Yang got their own separate movelist each, Hugo and Urien are two newcomers to the game, and Gouki/Akuma was added as a secret character (and is a secret boss too). Generally Gouki is banned since his divekick is way too fast in this game.
EX moves were introduced along with further rebalancing.

Third Strike
The most well known ver. of the series and the latest rebalance.
Aside from further gameplay balance and changes (RiP Top Tier Sean and Ibuki), it introduced Red Parries, where you perform a Parry after blocking an attack (timing is strict though). Gouki was made a normally selectable character and it added in 5 new characters as well: Q, Remy, ChunLi, Makoto and Twelve.

derFeef

I played Destiny 2 beta and then 2 QP matches and i got bored so fast. I couldn't wait for it to be over.

I surprised myself for liking Overwatch so much since it's released. But Destiny is not for me. But it looks and runs great.

I quite like it and the first Destiny did not grab me at all. It may be the controls or the 60fps but I enjoy playing it. Also got it for free with that 1080 TI ;)

haendeul

I bought all of Destiny 1 on sale a few months ago. I liked the actual gameplay, but couldn't stand the insane amount downtime because of loading times between levels, space and hub world.

Li Kao

I bought all of Destiny 1 on sale a few months ago. I liked the actual gameplay, but couldn't stand the insane amount downtime because of loading times between levels, space and hub world.

Lol I did the same and spent the summer on it. Loading times are damn unbearable at times. And as you say, fucking frequent.
Didn't make me drop it but yeah, it was rough.

Parsnip

The new Logitech G603 and G613 seem kinda unbelievable, the mouse has the same 1ms sensor as the G900 and can run for 500 hours on 2 AA, and the wireless mechanical keyboard has the 1ms response time and they say it can run for up to 18 MONTHS on 2 AA batteries... might have to upgrade again, once I went wireless with my mouse I can't go back and having a good wireless keyboard would be awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP9uSg8xLuo

I might be in for G603, the fact that it has replaceable batteries is nice. Don't care about any of the wireless charging and whatever else that G703 has.

Tizoc

This is such a badass video game cover.

Ikeno also did Street Fighter III 3S art and Onimusha

EDIT: Ah very first image for the PSP Street Fighter Alpha 3/Zero 3 release which had extra characters. Interesting that Ikeno draws Ryu with the red bandana, as canonically, he gets it from Ken prior to Zero 3, but Capcom kept him with the white bandana in-game mainly to have him be seen as 'Young Ryu'. Notice also that Ryu in that artwork is slimmer than in the other artwork he draws him in.

Deques

Ikeno also did Street Fighter III 3S art and Onimusha

EDIT: Ah very first image for the PSP Street Fighter Alpha 3/Zero 3 release which had extra characters. Interesting that Ikeno draws Ryu with the red bandana, as canonically, he gets it from Ken prior to Zero 3, but Capcom kept him with the white bandana in-game mainly to have him be seen as 'Young Ryu'. Notice also that Ryu in that artwork is slimmer than in the other artwork he draws him in.

Fantastic, I really love the art in Street Fighter series

Li Kao

Just found the will to play the Darkside Detective demo that has been standing forever in my hd.
It was not bad to play, to was even slightly funny at times even if it feels it's trying way too hard, but it was so simple I have trouble calling it and adventure game. Like Jenny LeClue these pixel art pnc are quite brain dead. Fortunately unlike Jenny it doesn't involve pixel hunting a fucking bookshelf.

I don't know, it certainly wasn't a bad time, mediocre I guess is the term I'm looking for. I like the thing on paper but I think I won't bite the bullet on the full game.

Tizoc

Fantastic, I really love the art in Street Fighter series

80s until Pre PS360 era Capcom employed great artists for their games, their 80s and 90s era had some of the best artwork for their games, and their PSOne and PS2 era were no slouches either.
Case in point
BgIGIxbCAAEq-to.jpg

Mind you they still had great artwork during the previous gen but I can't think of many atm XP

Monooboe

I can't decide if I should start with Torment or with Tyranny first. I've been reading that Torment was a bit of a let down for many, so maybe start with that one?

Sarcasm

I can't decide if I should start with Torment or with Tyranny first. I've been reading that Torment was a bit of a let down for many, so maybe start with that one?

Having played neither, that is what I would do. Based off word of mouth that is.

Anno

Are you starting now? If so I'd go with Torment. Tyranny is getting a DLC release next week along with a patch that adds in some free new content so you should probably start it after that.

I keep meaning to get to them, I promise! Got to finish the 2nd part of The White Marches first and XCOM2 and Uncharted and probably D:OS2 in a couple of weeks and SWTOR and...

Am i seeing this clear and there will be no notable AAA releases on PC in September except that japanese stuff you guys love to hype here? I guess I'm going to start saving for GTX 1080ti then and potentially throw money to Cuphead when devs finally allow me to do that.

Edit: Oh, and by the way:

Li Kao

Fuuuu, I decided it was demo day and, Shadow Tactics is super good. I hated the difficulty of the only Commando I tried but this was really fun.
Pricey though. Maybe I shouldn't have tried it :S

Darkside Detective - Really Meh
Shadow Tactics - Yes
Only Destiny 2 beta and I will have played more demos today than in a long time.

Am i seeing this clear and there will be no notable AAA releases on PC in September except that japanese stuff you guys love to hype here? I guess I'm going to start saving for GTX 1080ti then and potentially throw money to Cuphead when devs finally allow me to do that.

Edit: Oh, and by the way:

Hm..

Would love that in VR.

Pachimari

Fuuuu, I decided it was demo day and, Shadow Tactics is super good.
Didn't know there was a demo of this. Goes to download and install! I've been installing so many games today: Life is Strange (only got up to episode 3, gonna start over), The Flame in the Flood, The Forest (gonna check out the updates), Trails in the Sky (gonna give it another go), Resident Evil VII (I want to complete this but I'm such a wuss).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom