• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hektor

Sooo...that new XCOM DLC.

Test-drove it last night and here's the results.

Vanilla XCOM 2 - Low graphic settings, 20fps average (in game), 20-30 second load screens.
WotC XCOM 2 - Medium graphic settings, 50fps average, 5 or so second loading.

Same hardware config.

A year and a half later the game is finally playable on my hardware.

More than anything I'm SUPER excited to play the first campaign proper from my pre-order copy.

But man, that $40 Optimization Tax. LOL.

Maybe I should spearhead a Review-Bombing Campaign against Firaxis for charging XCOM 2 owners an extra $40 for stability fixes that should have been in the base game to start with!
That's me poking fun at myself, btw.

Still though, no regrets. I'm so happy the game finally runs just as well as the first XCOM reboot.

Wait, the optimization is actually expansion exclusive?

That's really fucked up if true

Grief.exe

Probably not, keeping two separate forks of the game would increase development complexity.

There is likely a patch to bring the base game up to the latest version and the DLC is just the content.

It's possible, but people have gotten bans for really weak stuff in the past. That one time Grief was banned was really weird for example.

I don't know, sometimes I get a bit snarky over in gaming side since they have become a caricature.

Hopefully Durante comes back, great, and knowledgeable, part of the community

Parsnip

Yeah, vanilla xcom 2 didn't get fixes.

They rebuilt the codebase for the expansion, or so they say.

I don't know, sometimes I get a bit snarky over in gaming side since they have become a caricature.
Sure, but ban worthy snark is some heavy duty snark. It was a while back though so I can't remember exactly what it was about. I just remember thinking that it was a bit weird.

Wok

Anyone that successfully gets a key could you let us know what "proof" you give to them. I checked my humble account and I have Tiny Echo in my "games" but I dont know which month it was. Do i show receipt of "Monthly Humble __"?

June.

Parsnip

The whole WOTC expansion download is just the entire game again with everything integrated into it with its own executable and everything and it lives in a separate folder from vanilla XCOM 2.

It would have almost made more sense to just release it as a standalone product, then at least one could uninstall vanilla version if they wanted to.

The good news is that the expansion is really really good.

Aaron D.

Yeah, vanilla xcom 2 didn't get fixes.

They rebuilt the codebase for the expansion, or so they say.

I kinda get that Firaxis basically recoded the entire game with WotC. I mean, it's a completely different .exe just like EU/EW.

Honestly, I was so salty over the botched vanilla launch that I'm just happy that now I can finally play the game 1.5 years later.

I was so gd excited to play XCOM 2 only to be completely gutted at launch and the months following with zero optimization support.

Still, it would have been nice for Firaxis to throw some kind of bone to those sitting on an unplayable game (with recommended system specs) for so long. But at the same time I understand that it's likely impossible to enforce (the haves from the have-nots).

It's all good.

People are saying the DLC makes the game practically XCOM 3 anyway. Just a shame it took so long to get there.

madjoki

The whole WOTC expansion download is just the entire game again with everything integrated into it with its own executable and everything and it lives in a separate folder from vanilla XCOM 2.

It would have almost made more sense to just release it as a standalone product, then at least one could uninstall vanilla version if they wanted to.

The good news is that the expansion is really really good.

Yeah, that would've been better choice, or make base game DLC too, so you could uncheck it.

Do it, Obsidian.

Sega has the Maniabucks now. They can pay you!
I kinda get that Firaxis basically recoded the entire game with WotC. I mean, it's a completely different .exe just like EU/EW.

Honestly, I was so salty over the botched vanilla launch that I'm just happy that now I can finally play the game 1.5 years later.

I was so gd excited to play XCOM 2 only to be completely gutted at launch and the months following with zero optimization support.

Still, it would have been nice for Firaxis to throw some kind of bone to those sitting on an unplayable game (with recommended system specs) for so long. But at the same time I understand that it's likely impossible to enforce (the haves from the have-nots).

It's all good.

People are saying the DLC makes the game practically XCOM 3 anyway. Just a shame it took so long to get there.

It really is a good, meaty expansion. And we're in an age now where any kind of expansion is rare, so for it to both exist and be good is kinda astounding. It has taken the excellent framework of XCOM 2 and filled it with... everything. A bullet point list of WotC's features really undersells just how much of the game it touches upon.

I want to feel bothered by the concept of a paid performance patch, but WotC is just so much more than that. Like, I don't know enough about game development to speculate on the difficulty of porting the changes to the base game, but there is one compelling reason to avoid overhauling vanilla, and isolating WotC's additions so much: to keep mods compatible... such as Long War 2.

Further, Pavonis (formerly Long War Studios) is working on their own commercial game now, IIRC, which would strain their modding capabilities. Can't remember the name of it, but I believe it's Long War-esque.
Are mod workshop still working on war of the chosen? Or didnthe expansion bork it?

It broke everything but voice packs, I believe.

Modders are making two categories of mods now: regular, and WotC-compatible. Some stuffs been ported already, so just be on the lookout for the ones you'd like.

Aaron D.

I want to feel bothered by the concept of a paid performance patch, but WotC is just so much more than that. Like, I don't know enough about game development to speculate on the difficulty of porting the changes to the base game, but there is one compelling reason to avoid overhauling vanilla, and isolating WotC's additions so much: to keep mods compatible... such as Long War 2.

The punch line is that I'll never really know or appreciate the scope of the content leap from XCOM 2 >>>> WotC as I haven't been able to run the base game since Day One.

I'm sure it's an appreciable upgrade, but I'll never have the launch-state context to evaluate from.

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
Hi.

I thought some of you would be interested to know that applications for the Omega Quintet Steam Closed Beta are now open.

It's the usual procedure:

Ghostlight Blog said:
How do you apply?  Simply send an email to: betaoq@ghostlight.uk.com with your name, date of birth and the technical specifications of your PC.
Applications will close promptly on Thursday 7th September, so please make sure to get them in before then.  As with previous closed betas, we won't be picking people on a random or first-come-first-served basis, so please do bear that in mind when you apply.  What a ‘yes’ decision actually comes down to depends on a number of factors, such as how representative we feel the range of PC specs we’ve assembled for the beta is.

More details can be found at
http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/omega-quintet-closed-beta-applications-now-open

Sooo...that new XCOM DLC.

Test-drove it last night and here's the results.

Vanilla XCOM 2 - Low graphic settings, 20fps average (in game), 20-30 second load screens.
WotC XCOM 2 - Medium graphic settings, 50fps average, 5 or so second loading.

Same hardware config.

A year and a half later the game is finally playable on my hardware.

More than anything I'm SUPER excited to play the first campaign proper from my pre-order copy.

But man, that $40 Optimization Tax. LOL.

Maybe I should spearhead a Review-Bombing Campaign against Firaxis for charging XCOM 2 owners an extra $40 for stability fixes that should have been in the base game to start with!
That's me poking fun at myself, btw.

Still though, no regrets. I'm so happy the game finally runs just as well as the first XCOM reboot.

They have changed and added a ton in this game. I would almost argue this is closer to an Xcom III than just an expansion. The load times are crazy fast now.

High end performance is a disappointment. With the original, I was close to 60fps at 4k and now it struggles to keep 30. 1080p runs fine though.

would be cool

you can't make alpha protocol 2 on a kickstarter budget tho

They could if they are reasonable. It would have to be more like a Pillars of Eternity scope instead of Mass Effect. I would be ok with that.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/687750/Yandere_School/

header.jpg

Someone copied Yandere Simulator and put it on Steam.

Pachimari

Guys, I'm building my first city in Cities: Skylines. New Copenhagen, and it's not going too well. I barely built anything and I already ran out of money and so I can't build anymore water pipes or electrical grid, so I guess that's that, and I have to start over with a new city, since I can't take a bank loan.

Do you have any beginner tips, for someone who ran out of money mere minutes into the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom