• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that's just it: people keep telling me the Beta was so scaled down and not a clear representation and missing X and Y...but I had an absolute blast with it. If that was a restrained portion of the real thing, then the real thing is going to consume me.

I don't usually put too much time in betas, mainly because all of my progress will be wiped anyway so it'll be wasted time if I play one too much. Other than that, I also don't want to get fatigued with the gameplay too fast. For me, beta is usually to check out all the modes and feel the gameplay, as well as testing how it performs on my PC. After a round or two of each mode, I'm usually done.

Lanrutcon

I don't usually put too much time in betas, mainly because all of my progress will be wiped anyway so it'll be wasted time if I play one too much. Other than that, I also don't want to get fatigued with the gameplay too fast. For me, beta is usually to check out all the modes and feel the gameplay, as well as testing how it performs on my PC. After a round or two of each mode, I'm usually done.

I got all OCD once I realise you get armor from the strike. So I had to go get a complete set for all the classes. By the end of the BETA I could solo the strike, apart from the boss's last phase.

Didn't really expect much (Destiny is an overrated console shooter blah blah blah) until I tried the beta. I seriously hope BL3 takes a few hints from the Bungie Book o' Shooting.

Well, actually, Agents of Mayhem it's not that bad.
C8FFFA76CFC0CD1C873C54168C4EEC5F53989E4B
Obviously it's like Saint's Row, only without dick jokes and with more focus on agents.
Every agent have different abilities and specialties, you need balance your team unless you want to stuck, for example, at enemy with shield without agent who have shieldbreaking skills. Surprisingly, this mechanics actually works, and agents not only have different skills, but also plays differently and have personal backstories and missions.
You can get any car from the street, but it's better to just call agency vehicle with built-in nitro and jump in. There is different types of vehicles, in order to unlock them you need to find blueprints that hidden in city.
Encounters with main villain forces plays mostly like SR4, it's important to always move around and quickly switch between characters. But i must admit that shooting parts are kinda repetitive, but maybe it depends on difficulty level, you can change it in HQ before teleporting on mission. Higher difficulty - higher rewards.
So, inconsistent performance aside, i kinda like it. It's definitely not worth 60$, but everyone who enjoyed last Saint's Row games should get it on deep sale. Considering how badly this game bombed i guess it would happen really soon anyway.

Rizzi

I really enjoyed what I played of Agents of Mayhem, but it ran like complete garbage on my PC so I dropped it. Hopefully they can fix that in a patch, but it seems doubtful.

Wok

So far, the games which I have preferred this year, in no particular order, are:
  • Fidel Dungeon Rescue
  • Herald: An Interactive Period Drama - Book I & II
  • Hollow Knight
  • RiME
  • Snake Pass
If you have an opportunity to play these, and if you like the genre they belong to, these game should be worth your time.

There are other games which might make it on the list, but I have to spend more time playing to be sure.

Ascheroth

I'd really like to play Hollow Knight this year, but I'm really not sure if I have the time...

Ys Seven
Ys VIII
Tokyo Xanadu
Zwei II

will probably consume all my time.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I'd really like to play Hollow Knight this year, but I'm really not sure if I have the time...

Ys Seven
Ys VIII
Tokyo Xanadu
Zwei II

will probably consume all my time.

It's not all that time consuming compared to some games. Depends on how completionist you want to get and how reluctant you are to use a guide for certain things.

Tonton

I might get Hollow Knight the next time it goes on sale since it's already fairly cheap

I really want Ys VIII and Tokyo Xanadu but price might be a problem

So far, the games which I have preferred this year, in no particular order, are:
  • Fidel Dungeon Rescue
  • Herald: An Interactive Period Drama - Book I & II
  • Hollow Knight
  • RiME
  • Snake Pass
If you have an opportunity to play these, and if you like the genre they belong to, these game should be worth your time.

There are other games which might make it on the list, but I have to spend more time playing to be sure.

Only new PC games I've played this year are Thimbleweed Park, Full Throttle: Remastered and XCOM2: War of the Chosen.

RiME is tempting though.

Durante

It's not all that time consuming compared to some games. Depends on how completionist you want to get and how reluctant you are to use a guide for certain things.
FWIW, I "completed" it with 65% in 18 hours, no guides.

Also, Hollow Knight is fantastic. Easily in my top 3 this year.

Ascheroth

Hm, I'll see if I can squeeze it in somewhere. I would be lying if I said I didn't want to play it and it really isn't that expensive.
We'll see.

Tizoc

If you don't mind me asking, is there any way to try to identify WHY Deadly Premonition crashes at specific points in the game?

Ascheroth

If you don't mind me asking, is there any way to try to identify WHY Deadly Premonition crashes at specific points in the game?
It's probably Memory leakage or something like that. I distinctly remember the crashes getting less once I did that thing that made it use 4 GB RAM.

Monooboe

Speaking of activating things through a services website, seems one can access origin through the website so no need to install it just to grab that "on the house" game whenever a new one comes.:D

Also for fun checked what games I would be able to play on Mac, I can play DA 2 on Mac but not DA 1.o_O

Arthea

at specific points? it crashes randomly and almost always after you play more than 30 minutes, at least that's how it was for me.

edited: oh yeah, almost forgot, there is a known way to make it crash less, it's to reboot your PC before 30 minutes run out, or just after it crashed.
I know it makes no sense, but it does work if you have patience for that kinda thing.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I can't remember now if it was notes for fan patches for Saints Row 2 or Deadly Premonition, but one of them had an utterly baffled line about how the game just seemed to crash more often due to computer uptime therefore the fix was to restart your computer frequently while playing.

jtb

Banned
is Rise of the Tomb Raider worth $12?

I've heard it's a graphical powerhouse - is it pretty well optimized too?

Arthea

I can't remember now if it was notes for fan patches for Saints Row 2 or Deadly Premonition, but one of them had an utterly baffled line about how the game just seemed to crash more often due to computer uptime therefore the fix was to restart your computer frequently while playing.

I've played only two weirdly leaky games, DP and vanilla Rorona, the latter used to froze your PS3 if you played it for more than an hour, and froze it so that you had to power it down and switch on again, meaning losing all your progress, now if you timed it right, you could quit the game after an hour, and then it ran fine again, after some time.
Leaky games, how do they work?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/247660/discussions/0/666824801104181532/
Point 9.

Although it may or may not change anything for you, Deadly Premonition works (or doesn't work) in mysterious ways.

It took a lot of tweaking for me (I too fell victim to the constant car noise,) and it still crashed a lot, requiring me to speed to a phone at every opportunity - especially after completed sidequests - but in the end, I did enjoy it. Had it not been so buggy it probably would have become one of my favourite games.

Durante

You're supposed to be dead
I actually had time to play Hollow Knight this weekend!

Well yes, step through it with an assembly-level debugger and comprehend the whole codebase :p

Now realistically, I tried for a while and gave up. It's one of the most arcane games I've investigated, tech-wise. I'd love to see the source at some point.

Tizoc

It ran fine on my older rig which had a GTX 775 IIRC. It didn't hit 60 FPS, but it ran well enough.
If you enjoy flinging arrows unto people's faces, def. get it.

Uzzy

It's not even worth 12p. It would be the worst AAA game I've ever played, if it wasn't for TR2013 existing. Thankfully the remake of TR2 is coming along excellently.

On a fairer note, if you want to fling arrows into people's faces, then it's adequate. Unless you have access to Horizon: Zero Dawn that is.

Tizoc

I actually had time to play Hollow Knight this weekend!

Well yes, step through it with an assembly-level debugger and comprehend the whole codebase :p

Now realistically, I tried for a while and gave up. It's one of the most arcane games I've investigated, tech-wise. I'd love to see the source at some point.

How do you feel about migrating to glorious Nippon? ;)
http://www.accessgames.co.jp/en/recruit/

Looking at their list of titles, they hadn't developed any new titles since last year?

Will look into the debugger thing but I swear the crashes in DPrem are making me want to play it on a PS3.
I just hope it'll hit Xbox BC down the line @_@

Hektor

It's not even worth 12p. It would be the worst AAA game I've ever played, if it wasn't for TR2013 existing. Thankfully the remake of TR2 is coming along excellently.

On a fairer note, if you want to fling arrows into people's faces, then it's adequate. Unless you have access to Horizon: Zero Dawn that is.

Rise of the Tomb Raider > Far Cry: Zero Dawn

Jadax

Anyone here know how to troubleshoot bsod issues? I've been having daily irql_not_less_or_equal crashes on my new pc build.

Durante

Knurek

Good to have decent people like Durante back.

Early impressions of FFXV Windows version.
Unfortunately looks like a standard Squeenix PC lazy port.

Ghastly keyboard and mouse performance

The kiosk for FFXV: Windows Edition had a convenient keyboard and mouse control guide next to its keyboard, which contained a combination of sensible and WTF-worthy key assignments. (Weirdest of them all was the studio's choice to assign the "sprint" button to the tab key, while leaving the more common PC-sprint key of left-shift entirely unmapped.)

Bigger problems arose when I got into battle and realized none of these mapped keys let me pull off the game's important warp-strike attack. FFXV's main hero Noctis must warp-strike in order to either attack enemies on the other side of a skirmish or latch onto a high-up hanging point for the sake of safety and recovery. I died repeatedly in the two battles got into as a result.

Performance shy of 30 frames a second

The demo's sub-4K resolution didn't help FFXV: Windows Edition. My demo ran at a refresh rate well below 30 frames per second. This was particularly insane to me, because I'd played an in-development version of FFXV all the way back in 2015 running on a PC. That one locked into a 30 FPS rate on a regular basis, even in its unfinished, wonky state.

But FFXV: Windows Edition couldn't get there. Cut scenes, open-air outdoor runs, drives along a highway, and even moments perusing shops and other interior areas all chugged in that regular, "needs more power" way, as opposed to the kinds of breaks, stutters, or pauses that I commonly see while giving preview builds of games the benefit of the doubt.

The PC I tested this demo on included a placard that read something like "Final Fantasy XV, powered by Alienware." If I were on the Alienware PR team, I'd demand a retraction, a cookie bouquet, or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom