• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
nO5K6A1.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
I think I'll be fine with it, I don't even remember what Chloe sounded like.
But I won't get it until all the episodes are out.
yeah me neither, i'm in no hurry for this, it just sounds like fanservice, which is fine for folks that love lis enough for fanservice to mean anything to them, but definitely not for me

i mean, unless they let u play as victoria

Anteater

I think I'll be fine with it, I don't even remember what Chloe sounded like.
But I won't get it until all the episodes are out.

voice is fine, Chloe is slightly younger so it's easy to ignore the slight differences since she sound similar, it's not a major difference like when Haley Joel Osment hit puberty in kingdom hearts 2

It is neat watching the supposedly white FFX/2 characters turn non-white in the FMVs.

X2's ending would have been a little better if I didn't know about 2.5.
I assume Brother killed himself offscreen after Tidus came back.

Anteater

It is neat watching the supposedly white FFX/2 characters turn non-white in the FMVs.

X2's ending would have been a little better if I didn't know about 2.5.
I assume Brother killed himself offscreen after Tidus came back.

yeah Tidus looks so different in cutscenes, also he has brown/black hair originally, lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Mafia 3 (DLC too) followed by Life is Strange BTS Episode 1 and now starting Hellblade. What a fantastic playlist. I'm already sold on Hellblade only one chapter in. The presentation is ridiculously good- not just visually, but the sound design as well.

I just feel so #blessed by gaming sometimes.

Remaining goals for the year:
-Prey 2017 (guaranteed to make me happy)
-Tacoma
-Dishonored: Death of the Outsider (guaranteed to make me happy)
-The Evil Within 2
-Wolfenstein II (guaranteed to make me happy)
-Assassin's Creed: Origin
-Call of Duty: WWII (guaranteed to make me happy)

When I played LiS Episode I two years ago I just hated it. Really, I was annoyed to no end, the teenage angst stuff was too much for me. You know, "teens are so stupid" and all. When Max started playing her guitar, it felt so embarrassing I just quit.

Well, I gave the game another try yesterday and somehow it clicked. Maybe it's because I have a kid now, so I've been thinking a lot about how hard growing up really is. When you're a teen, there are so many little things that mean so damn much to you. Then you grow up, and you forget how important those things were to you at that time. So, when your kid turns into a teen, you become an asshole who can't understand what's going on with him/her. I really don't want to be that guy.

I still haven't finished Episode I, but next time it goes on sale, I'll definitely get the other episodes.

Jimrpg

Dirt 4 already 33% off probably isn't a good sign, seeing as it came out a couple of months ago. I was a huge fan of Rally, because I always wanted the team to do Rally focused titles. But they've always seemed like they want to branch off and make a multi discipline series with Dirt.

zkylon

zkylewd
When I played LiS Episode I two years ago I just hated it. Really, I was annoyed to no end, the teenage angst stuff was too much for me. You know, "teens are so stupid" and all. When Max started playing her guitar, it felt so embarrassing I just quit.

Well, I gave the game another try yesterday and somehow it clicked. Maybe it's because I have a kid now, so I've been thinking a lot about how hard growing up really is. When you're a teen, there are so many little things that mean so damn much to you. Then you grow up, and you forget how important those things were to you at that time. So, when your kid turns into a teen, you become an asshole who can't understand what's going on with him/her. I really don't want to be that guy.

I still haven't finished Episode I, but next time it goes on sale, I'll definitely get the other episodes.
that's real nice to hear, there's definitely stuff worth experiencing about lis, and it does a really good job at developing max and chloe and giving every other character in the game a little bit of depth and context

goes to show how subjective one's appreciation of this stuff can be and how much external shit in your life can change ur perspective and your taste in games

i know a while after i turned vegetarian i started finding games with hunting elements in them really unpleasant, and ever since i've gotten a baby brother i can't seem to do super well with children getting hurt in movies or otherwise (and i actually appreciate children a whole lot in movies etc)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I'd say this is definitely true. When the game came out I had a 14 and 17 year old and that definitely helped color the in-game world in a unique way for me. Like you said, things we think are stupid can be really important to people that age and the friendships you build at that age really seem to matter.

Also the game held a special place in my heart since it is based on a fictionalized version of my city.

Anteater

not directed at anyone but I think gaming community often want characters to be perfect super hero figure that's likeable most of the time, you see people hating on children characters and characters with flaws saying they're annoying, despite their characterization makes sense in the story

Pixieking

Banned
not directed at anyone but I think gaming community often want characters to be perfect super hero figure that's likeable most of the time, you see people hating on children characters and characters with flaws saying they're annoying, despite their characterization makes sense in the story

There is a line between a character who is unlikable but whom the viewer/reader/player can empathise with, and a character who has no redeeming qualities and with whom it is impossible to empathise with. I find I cannot empathise with either Chloe or Max. It's not that they're simply unlikable, it's that on more than one occasion I asked myself why anyone would want to be their friend, they are that priviliged, vacuous, nasty and mean-spirited.

(This, btw, goes for every story-telling medium - I'm not bitching just because it's a game. If we were talking about a film, or book, or TV series I'd have the same complaints.)

Jawmuncher

Good children character's are few and far between and the majority I can think of that are good never really talk in their game.

I'm all for flawed characters and even anti-heroes or straight up villains. Only one's I don't really like are good guys that are really just assholes (Cole Phelps)

illusionary

is war of the chosen good?

if xcom 2 runs proper i'm thinking about getting it

Very - it expands on the base game in some very interesting ways. It also seems to improve the game's performance significantly for many people. I've noticed a significant drop in load times, if nothing else.

Very - it expands on the base game in some very interesting ways. It also seems to improve the game's performance significantly for many people. I've noticed a significant drop in load times, if nothing else.

I mistakenly loaded up the original XCOM2 where load times seemed to be around 30-60 seconds. In WotC combat missions load up instantly.

zkylon

zkylewd
idk, i don't think flawed characters are such a rarity, and i wouldn't hold lis as a successful example of good characterization

as a shallow comparison, i think the last of us is another game that dealt with a teenage girl going through teenage things + supernatural things and managed to be way more subtle and effective than lis

lis felt super hamfisted to me, even if it also felt honest and often heartfelt, it also felt really cartoony and that the themes it got itself into far exceeded its script

but yea idk if what u say is true, i just think the problem with characters in videogames is they're often super one dimensional

better performance sounds wonderful

i wish visa wasn't so fucking shit, buying games nowadays is a huge pain in the ass cos every time i buy a game i have to call visa to let them know

i really want to switch to mastercard or something, visa is worthless

half of the reason i was super tempted is cos it was $25 on nuuvem but now i see it's brazil only so eh, i'll pass

honestly i'm really confused what i got with the xcom 2 season pass, i feel like season passes kind of don't make much sense if you still have to buy the dlc...

Deus Ex, baby!!

kidding

lol

Pixieking

Banned

zkylon

zkylewd

illusionary

better performance sounds wonderful

i wish visa wasn't so fucking shit, buying games nowadays is a huge pain in the ass cos every time i buy a game i have to call visa to let them know

i really want to switch to mastercard or something, visa is worthless

half of the reason i was super tempted is cos it was $25 on nuuvem but now i see it's brazil only so eh, i'll pass

honestly i'm really confused what i got with the xcom 2 season pass, i feel like season passes kind of don't make much sense if you still have to buy the dlc...
The "Reinforcement Pack" was for three smaller pieces of DLC, as compared to the full-blown expansion fhat War of the Chosen provides. Taking the description from Steam:

- Anarchy's Children: Rebellion-themed content with more dramatic soldier customizations..
- ALIEN HUNTERS introduces new soldier customizations and gameplay themed around XCOM as an elite alien hunting unit. Face off against ”Ruler" aliens with new, more powerful weapons and armor. Experience a new dramatic mission & confrontation..
- SHEN'S LAST GIFT introduces a new soldier class with unique upgradeable weapons, armor and customization features, and a new narrative-driven mission and map..

Pixieking

Banned
appreciate the tip but tbh i just spent a lot of money on concert tickets, i'm buying 3 nendos this month and after years of hard fought battle i finally managed to convince my mom to stop paying for my healthcare so i probably shouldn't be buying that many expensive stuff at once lol

Hahah! Fair enough. It'll be discounted lower than that in the future, so, yeah, if you can wait, you can get it cheaper anyways. :)

zkylon

zkylewd
The "Reinforcement Pack" was for three smaller pieces of DLC, as compared to the full-blown expansion fhat War of the Chosen provides. Taking the description from Steam:

- Anarchy’s Children: Rebellion-themed content with more dramatic soldier customizations..
- ALIEN HUNTERS introduces new soldier customizations and gameplay themed around XCOM as an elite alien hunting unit. Face off against “Ruler” aliens with new, more powerful weapons and armor. Experience a new dramatic mission & confrontation..
- SHEN’S LAST GIFT introduces a new soldier class with unique upgradeable weapons, armor and customization features, and a new narrative-driven mission and map..

seems like it wasn't a good deal, but i guess that's what you risk when you buy season passes

illusionary

seems like it wasn't a good deal, but i guess that's what you risk when you buy season passes

Shen's Last Gift and Alien Hunters were worth the purchase for me, albeit I bought the game when it was 40% off rather than full retail; if I'd paid full price, I may have felt differently.

Monooboe

Hmh Valve still haven't shipped my Steam controller, did they mean up to 8 days of getting it ready to be shipped and then the actual shipping?o_O

Edit, I did on the otherhand order it on a Friday, thought I ordered it before that, hmh time goes slow when waiting for something I guess haha

zkylon

zkylewd
Shen's Last Gift and Alien Hunters were worth the purchase for me, albeit I bought the game when it was 40% off rather than full retail; if I'd paid full price, I may have felt differently.
i think i bought it on gmg or something so it was a bit cheaper also

can't remember how expensive the season pass was but idk i feel like it would be nice to be told that the season pass content was gonna be "fluff-esque", at least compared to the meaty content of this expansion

like when i bought the season pass i was expecting to get an enemy within out of it

NeoRaider

Uzzy can you please post few more LiS: BtS screenshots so i don't have to bother to continue and finish the episode?? :p

Thanks.

While I had love to play LIS, I'm gonna for all the episodes to be released. I just cannot bring myself to trust a third party to deliver as well as the original devs in the end. Hopefully I'm missing but it's a wait and see situation for me right now.

Lanrutcon

I don't miss the beta as it was so limited. I want the real thing in October.

But that's just it: people keep telling me the Beta was so scaled down and not a clear representation and missing X and Y...but I had an absolute blast with it. If that was a restrained portion of the real thing, then the real thing is going to consume me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom