• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. Actually I never understood why people shit on FF13 for being linear, but praise FF10 on the other hand.

Sometimes I think because for a lot of people FF10 was the first FF of the "newer" generation.

FFX's characters and story were MUCH better than FFXIII so many were able to overlook other things, like a battle system that was kinda annoying and incredibly linear exploration. But you could understand the FFX story without needing to spend like an hour or more reading the ingame wiki and you can like most of the characters in FFX
except tidus because he just sucks

The story in FFXIII was incomprehensible if you didn't read the wiki, just barelyyyyyyyyyy kinda makes sense if you do, and even if you do the characters blow ass except for Sazh so you'll find yourself wondering why you're playing it for the first 20 or so hours.

Dat battle system, though.

So no current 25% off GMG codes that work on Evil Within? I'm close to caving, and they're making it easy to resist.
Word. I'd pay $40 to get the game on launch. But if not I don't mind waiting till it goes cheaper, no way I'm spending $60 on a digital game. Did it once with gta5 on ps3 and I really regretted it.(its not a bad game its just that the cheat codes are garbage so it destroys the replay value so once I beat it I had no use for it)

Yeah. Actually I never understood why people shit on FF13 for being linear, but praise FF10 on the other hand.

Sometimes I think because for a lot of people FF10 was the first FF of the "newer" generation.

And that's exactly why I didn't like it. It was similar enough to the old games in battle system, and the sphere grid was amazing... but the story/lack of exploration/linearity just killed it for me. by 10-15 hours, I was trying to convince myself it wasn't terrible and I had to like it because it was a FF game. By the time I got to the last boss, I didn't like it very much and quit for over a year after losing to him a few times.

FF13 had a bit of time to open up the paradigm shifts, but once it did? Holy shit, the combat was so fun and engaging for me that I did the entirety of the monster hunting quests and I NEVER do them in other games.

FFX's characters and story were MUCH better than FFXIII so many we're able to overlook other things, like a battle system that was kinda annoying and incredibly linear exploration. But you could understand the FFX story without needing to spend like an hour or more reading the ingame wiki and you can like most of the characters in FFX

The story in FFXIII was incomprehensible if you didn't read the wiki, just barelyyyyyyyyyy kinda makes sense if you do, and even if you do the characters blow ass except for Sazh so you'll find yourself wondering why you're playing it for the first 20 or so hours.

Funny, I hate just about every character in FFX except Lulu. Rikku waivers between acceptable and okay... and while I wanted to like Auron, I really don't, he's a a gigantic douche. So let's say... 2/7 characters liked?
As far as FFXIII goes, I hate Vanille and Sazh and Hope to a lesser extent. So if we put Hope on the bad list, we've got 3/6.
For me the characters in XIII just destroy the characters in X.

One thing both games clearly lack for me is a villain of any actual consequence. I couldn't care less about Syn or other summoners or whatever. Just as much as I don't give a shit about the Fal'Cie or whatever (FFXIII would've done better to have not used French words like LaCIe and FalCIe or whatever... too close to one another to foster understanding in the general gamer, I think; hence your point about the wiki). Either way, there's no Golbez here, no Kefka, no Sephiroth, no Seifer, no Kuja. Memorable villains are absent for me from both games.

Lomax

added some context to the above that hopefully makes it a bit funnier (slightly sad too)

As for RDR...

Simple version?

1) It's not a good Western--what it has to say has already been said, and better, elsewhere. The game's ultimate theme is "the gubmint is bad, mmk?" also some nonsense about how "the west is dying" but the Peckinpah stuff it so desperately attempts to be manages to do it better.

2) It's a game that will drastically alter character voice so it can make the point. That's a sign of bad writing.

3) The controls are bad--I kept encountering a bug on 360. Let's say I wanted to turn 45 degrees to the right. Pushing 45 degrees to the right on the stick meant that John would turn to the left, jog around in a little circle, and then head off in that direction. This can lead to running into doors or off cliffs, depending on where you are in the game.

So, uh... not much about it is that good, really.

Great poker sim, though. Very 'authentic' Western in terms of sfx and stuff. Also the only game I can think of that attempts to do atmospheric distortion instead of distance fog.

Sounds like pretty legitimate complaints, though to be honest it's not like I usually love open world games for the writing (Just Cause 2 anyone?). And it's not like we really have any chance of it coming to PC at this point, it's just always been one of those few multi-platform games not on PC that seemed worthy of wanting.

FFX's characters and story were MUCH better than FFXIII so many we're able to overlook other things, like a battle system that was kinda annoying and incredibly linear exploration. But you could understand the FFX story without needing to spend like an hour or more reading the ingame wiki and you can like most of the characters in FFX

Yeah. I am just saying that the "linearity" of FF13 isnt the reason why FF13 is mediocre.

Zafir

FF13 had a bit of time to open up the paradigm shifts, but once it did? Holy shit, the combat was so fun and engaging for me that I did the entirety of the monster hunting quests and I NEVER do them in other games.
Very true. I got so much enjoyment out of the hunts because of the battle system.

Dr Dogg

I was never a fan of the Sphere Grid. Sure it looked cool but progression was close to straight forward. The Crystarium is even more limited. I get why folks like the Materia system as it allows for party member customisation but V's Job System does an absolute corking job at that. For me the the License Board is the most fun to trick you crew out, even more so with FFXII IZJS having roles you can assign each member of your party.

Monooboe

Getting excited about the imminent release of Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Think I'm even going to get some wine. Too bad though that they didn't do a preload.

You know I should probably just but ff13 so I can finally beat it and when I say its shit I can say well I got to the "good" part and it was still shit. I believe I got to the giant head boss and stopped there

Dolor

So far:

• Defense Grid - Excellent game, not too much new, but still the best in the genre
  • Ancient Space - Very good, not perfect, would do well to be a notch or two easier, but overall worth $20 easily

Still need to get to Gauntlet and Stronghold Crusader 2...

Li Kao

Getting excited about the imminent release of Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Think I'm even going to get some wine. Too bad though that they didn't do a preload.

More worrying is the fact that the official site countdown still show more than 15 hours till release.

I was never a fan of the Sphere Grid. Sure it looked cool but progression was close to straight forward. The Crystarium is even more limited. I get why folks like the Materia system as it allows for party member customisation but V's Job System does an absolute corking job at that. For me the the License Board is the most fun to trick you crew out, even more so with FFXII IZJS having roles you can assign each member of your party.

I have 0 experience with FF12 International, but the NA version of that game? The license board is one of the reasons the game is at the bottom of the rankings list. I mean, it's cool that I could decide that I hated Bausch, generic chick whose name I don't even remember, and Penelo, and leave them in the dust and NEVER need them... EVER. But at the same time, it meant that all characters were pretty much just the sum of their license board and their equipped weapons. At least the MMO style combat was different and fun.

As for FFV (and FFIII), I don't know why, but I loathe the job system in those games. Between the horrible translation for Faris and the job system, I quit FFV within an hour and it remains the only mainline FF game I've never completed. I just really hate job systems.

Dr Dogg

I have 0 experience with FF12 International, but the NA version of that game? The license board is one of the reasons the game is at the bottom of the rankings list. I mean, it's cool that I could decide that I hated Bausch, generic chick whose name I don't even remember, and Penelo, and leave them in the dust and NEVER need them... EVER. But at the same time, it meant that all characters were pretty much just the sum of their license board and their equipped weapons. At least the MMO style combat was different and fun.

As for FFV (and FFIII), I don't know why, but I loathe the job system in those games. Between the horrible translation for Faris and the job system, I quit FFV within an hour and it remains the only mainline FF game I've never completed. I just really hate job systems.

Yeah I think from your experience your aren't going to get anything out of FFXII IZJS at all. You have 12 separate mini License Boards which you can assign to any party member you chose but once you do it's permanent for that playthrough with Quickenings and Summons still working the same way. It does mean that you can make anyone take on any role but I can see how you'd not be too keen.

though I'm with you on the combat system on FFXIII and once you get to the higher level hunts and have the full Crystarium unlocked and party upgraded it can get pretty frantic but still remain tactical.

Ok, so if the OT is right there may be a slight delay in order to squash some final bugs.

http://theastrocrew.tumblr.com/post/98389251423/mini-faq-on-the-release-of-the-vanishing-of-ethan

On the other hand I found the License Board to be the worst. Everyone just ended up being the same with the original board. I mean sure you get to that stage with FFX/XIII too, but at least that isn't till endgame. Admittedly the international edition apparently solves this though.

My other annoyance was I didn't like having to get licenses for equipment too. Having to buy equipment licenses for things you didn't want just to get to the one you did. I dunno if the international edition solves that too.

Yeah I'm with you on that part. 'Oh hey you got this cool item but you can't equip it until you have bought a license for it'. Because you know you'd end up in big trouble if you did and by purchasing that license you suddenly and inexplicably gain the knowledge to use the said item.

Zafir

On the other hand I found the License Board to be the worst. Everyone just ended up being the same with the original board. I mean sure you get to that stage with FFX/XIII too, but at least that isn't till endgame. Admittedly the international edition apparently solves this though.

My other annoyance was I didn't like having to get licenses for equipment too. Having to buy equipment licenses for things you didn't want just to get to the one you did. I dunno if the international edition solves that too.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Final Fantasy V is another entry in the series that takes a while to open up completely (certainly more than an hour) but once it does it's incredible. I'm completely the opposite and really like the job systems in the old Final Fantasy games, but I mostly have Final Fantasy V to thank for that.

It had a good progression system in that you could switch jobs and retain the abilities of previous ones, to an extent. It made leveling up your characters much more dynamic than simply "learn a spell when you reach level 40" which was how IV's system worked before that.

I think most people who are in to the whole "job system" usually either cite Final Fantasy V or Final Fantasy Tactics as the ultimate culmination of that system.

Lomax

Final Fantasy Tactics is one of the few games I own having never owned the system it was for. I would buy a Steam copy that was nothing more than an emulator of the original in a heartbeat.

louiedog

Final Fantasy Tactics is one of the few games I own having never owned the system it was for. I would buy a Steam copy that was nothing more than an emulator of the original in a heartbeat.

I was walking down the street a few years ago and someone who was clearly moving out had a few boxes on the curb marked "FREE". Inside one was a PlayStation, controller, and memory card. I never had a PlayStation when I was a kid so I grabbed it. A few days later I got around to cleaning it up and found a Final Fantasy Tactics disc inside. In ~2009 it became my first and only owned PS game.

time to open up the paradigm shifts, but once it did? Holy shit, the combat was so fun and engaging for me that I did the entirety of the monster hunting quests and I NEVER do them in other games.

Agreed completely, that battle system was a ton of fun... its the only reason i bothered to 100% the game haha

Copons

added some context to the above that hopefully makes it a bit funnier (slightly sad too)

As for RDR...

Simple version?

1) It's not a good Western--what it has to say has already been said, and better, elsewhere. The game's ultimate theme is "the gubmint is bad, mmk?" also some nonsense about how "the west is dying" but the Peckinpah stuff it so desperately attempts to be manages to do it better.

2) It's a game that will drastically alter character voice so it can make the point. That's a sign of bad writing.

3) The controls are bad--I kept encountering a bug on 360. Let's say I wanted to turn 45 degrees to the right. Pushing 45 degrees to the right on the stick meant that John would turn to the left, jog around in a little circle, and then head off in that direction. This can lead to running into doors or off cliffs, depending on where you are in the game.

So, uh... not much about it is that good, really.

Great poker sim, though. Very 'authentic' Western in terms of sfx and stuff. Also the only game I can think of that attempts to do atmospheric distortion instead of distance fog.

I'm not a Western expert and I've never been a real fan of the genre, so I can't really get your first point, but RDR is one of those games where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
Its writing may be partly sub par (but I strongly believe it's the best R* writing ever), its gameplay may be sloppy at times, but that atmosphere and that protagonist and that ending too... I'd die to be able to ride in those lands again on PC.
possibly with high res textures and other fancy stuff we're capable of

Oh, and I played it on PS3 and I really can't remember that kind of controls bug. :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
This game looks beautiful

The Vane

iHdLzmli4YWJH.gif

Li Kao

Regarding RDR, the next few years will be interesting. Is the code really a broken mess or will Rockstar decide to go with the general flow and make a HD remaster.
If that's the case then there might still be hope for a PC version. Yah, not a big one, but still...
Again, how much broken is it ?

I noticed Insomniac has a game called Slow Down Bull in development for PC? Has this ever been heard of before?

This is going by their Wikipedia entry.

Spares, spares... wonderful spares.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys and 3 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (crazyrabbits, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Blackwell 2: Unbound -- MB-4108B5457605915D - Taken by Saty. 3 entrants total.
Blackwell 3: Convergence -- MB-0CCCA5D56A0110B6 - Taken by Kiru. 2 entrants total.
Blackwell 1: Legacy -- MB-253F71AC1A754241 - Taken by GaussTek. 5 entrants total.
Windforge -- MB-30AA3028D0F13700 - Taken by Sarcasm. 4 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Bret Airborne (Desura) -- MB-FFBDF3D54731A683 - Taken by Darth Kupi
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-FA3BC9AD1C0A6E18 - Taken by Mengy. 1 entrants total.
Power-Up -- MB-098622AD9D70D1E8 - Taken by autoduelist. 2 entrants total.
Tropico 3 -- MB-2B43AF298D900073 - Taken by Monumma
ulgzbKC.png
Admiral Nemo (Desura) -- MB-A2E42A353FD86BE2 - Taken by Catshade
ulgzbKC.png
Sometimes (Desura) -- MB-6F4BE50BBBDC8183 - Taken by GaussTek

t1411670511z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Regarding RDR, the next few years will be interesting. Is the code really a broken mess or will Rockstar decide to go with the general flow and make a HD remaster.
If that's the case then there might still be hope for a PC version. Yah, not a big one, but still...
Again, how much broken is it ?

Here's my take on that:

That's just a rumour and not one I place much stock in. The entire point behind the development of RAGE was that it'd facilitate the creation of then-next-gen content, so the notion that RDR had to be butchered to run on the PS360 when the engine it uses was built specifically with next-gen consoles in mind doesn't strike me as particularly likely. My guess as to why RDR hasn't appeared on the PC yet would be that a PC release simply wasn't planned as Redemption was envisioned as a spiritual sequel to a console exclusive that R* rescued at the eleventh hour and released to modest success; the snowball of positive buzz for Redemption that continued increasing up until the game's release caught Take-Two off-guard and it simply wasn't able to slot in a PC port amongst R*'s schedule of LA Noire, Max Payne 3 and GTAV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom