• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

legacyzero

Banned
i hate seeing all this games that have awesome concepts, but are in Early Access. And I don't usually buy Early Access games (Fuck you DF-9).

An example would be The Long Dark. Looks absolutely fantastic! But it seems they have only just added the survival mode (Which is what I want to play the most) but there isn't hardly anything to it.

I have 0 experience with FF12 International, but the NA version of that game? The license board is one of the reasons the game is at the bottom of the rankings list. I mean, it's cool that I could decide that I hated Bausch, generic chick whose name I don't even remember, and Penelo, and leave them in the dust and NEVER need them... EVER. But at the same time, it meant that all characters were pretty much just the sum of their license board and their equipped weapons. At least the MMO style combat was different and fun.

As for FFV (and FFIII), I don't know why, but I loathe the job system in those games. Between the horrible translation for Faris and the job system, I quit FFV within an hour and it remains the only mainline FF game I've never completed. I just really hate job systems.

Do you like any FF games?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If anyone can afford to outsouce a game to Bluepoint, it's the company that just sold 35 million copies of a game. They don't have to do it themselves, let someone else do it and then also make it for ps4/xb1 and then watch it print money.

Yeah, but outsourcing isn't R*'s MO and Take-Two prefers to leave its golden goose well alone (i.e. it won't go over R*'s head and give the job to another company). That said, I think there's a good chance that an RDR re-release will be announced or at least rumoured by a reputable outlet next year.

iosefe

I was walking down the street a few years ago and someone who was clearly moving out had a few boxes on the curb marked "FREE". Inside one was a PlayStation, controller, and memory card. I never had a PlayStation when I was a kid so I grabbed it. A few days later I got around to cleaning it up and found a Final Fantasy Tactics disc inside. In ~2009 it became my first and only owned PS game.

sounds like a hell of a time.

if they brought WoTL minus the artificial slowdown, i might buy it. i have the PSone classic on my vita, so i'm basically set

Well, the big one is that we really have no idea on the quality of the port. I suggest you wait until it actually releases, rather than gamble on the quality just to save $1.50.
It's not a port from what we know.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/17/final-fantasy-13s-new-portal-page-has-a-steam-logo

"Let's not forget, when we developed the Final Fantasy 13 series, all three titles, at the early stages of development we were working on PC," Kitase told Eurogamer. "Then we had to port it to the consoles. As far as the technology is concerned, it would have been possible for us to make a PC version, but we decided against it for two reasons: We looked at the market situation and we didn't think it would be a good idea, and also it would have involved lots of complex issues like security. So we decided not to do it this time around."

Still waiting for Dat Spotify support :/

Spotify would be nice, but it's not really needed since you can run Spotify and steam at the same time.

Given that the new consoles are basically just PCs... aren't the days of PC ports done? Isn't all development starting with the PC these days?

Lomax

Yeah, but outsourcing isn't R*'s MO and Take-Two prefers to leave its golden goose well alone (i.e. it won't go over R*'s head and give the job to another company). That said, I think there's a good chance that an RDR re-release will be announced or at least rumoured by a reputable outlet next year.

It does seem likely if there is a HD version then it will be released on PC as well. My feeling at this point though is that we're much more likely to see a sequel and I'd think a PC version of that would pretty much be a given.

Given that the new consoles are basically just PCs... aren't the days of PC ports done? Isn't all development starting with the PC these days?

"Bad port" is just always going to be the go-to term used any time we get a buggy or inferior version of a game also on console. It's not like there aren't plenty of PC exclusive games that run like crap as well, in fact some of them tend to be lazier as they feel they have less reason to optimize. And so long as the major companies see PC as a smaller market, they will always tend to outsource or put B teams on the PC versions.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It does seem likely if there is a HD version then it will be released on PC as well. My feeling at this point though is that we're much more likely to see a sequel and I'd think a PC version of that would pretty much be a given.

My guess is that an RDR re-release is contingent upon GTAV Redux performing well, which isn't something that's cause for concern -- Redux isn't going to come close to GTAV's numbers but it'll most certainly be profitable.

Edit: Aw, Ethan Carter has been pushed back to "Coming Soon". Hopefully it's live in the morning.

Sendou

Spotify would be nice, but it's not really needed since you can run Spotify and steam at the same time.

That makes no sense. You can run Steam and any music player at the same time too. I want Spotify support because then I could easily use it in-client without the need to alt+tab out.

liezryou

It's not as simple as that. I don't know how anyone can compare a single setup with hundreds and thousands of different setups and expect the results to be the same.

It would be like me developing a game for the S5 and expect it to run smoothly on ALL android phones.

Do you like any FF games?

Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI (though people tend to put this a lot higher than I regard it, in general)
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy

I also have a soft sport for Mystic Quest. I'm not quite sure why, but I do.

I don't like FFII, FFV, and FFX;

FFIII and FFXII are somewhere in the middle ground where I don't look back on them fondly, but I don't outright feel like they were a waste of time. I will give FFX another shot soon on my Vita, but I don't know if I will like it any better now that I have about 13 years in between playthroughs.

Dr Dogg

Well after about a month on the market my Unearthed foil sold. Tonight I dine on Weekend Deals
if they are cheap enough for the 60 odd pence I just made and the rest of my wallet funds

Components mostly yes, Operating Systems, APIs and other specific architecture hooks no, not by a long shot. By that theory it would be a doddle to make Mac and Linux ports at the same time seeing as they run on exactly the same hardware as Windows but there are different challenges for developing on each. Unless it's a middleware engine or SDK with various compilers to output to specific platforms there's other considerations to take into account.

Development on a PC is not development for a PC (and a Windows one at that).

iosefe

Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI (though people tend to put this a lot higher than I regard it, in general)
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy

I also have a soft sport for Mystic Quest. I'm not quite sure why, but I do.

I don't like FFII, FFV, and FFX;

FFIII and FFXII are somewhere in the middle ground where I don't look back on them fondly, but I don't outright feel like they were a waste of time. I will give FFX another shot soon on my Vita, but I don't know if I will like it any better now that I have about 13 years in between playthroughs.

what about tactics?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Painkiller: Recurring Evil -- MB-6779E88A005F8AC9 - Taken by lukiluk. 1 entrants total.
Painkiller Redemption -- MB-31630418C15A8CF7 - Taken by Ezalc. 1 entrants total.
Organic Panic -- MB-62772317F96B1798 - Taken by Kifimbo. 3 entrants total.

t1411662531z1.png

"Bad port" is just always going to be the go-to term used any time we get a buggy or inferior version of a game also on console. It's not like there aren't plenty of PC exclusive games that run like crap as well, in fact some of them tend to be lazier as they feel they have less reason to optimize. And so long as the major companies see PC as a smaller market, they will always tend to outsource or put B teams on the PC versions.

Right. But it's not a "port".

A bad PC game is just a bad PC game now. It isn't a bad "port".

Dead Rising 3.

Bad (or perfect?) example. Dead Rising 3 ran pretty badly on both the xone and the PC (but the game was a ton of fun). Again, a technically poor PC game, but not a bad port.

what about tactics?

I played and beat it when it came out... but I've never had the urge to go back as I don't love the job system in that game and I really don't like the world of Ivalice or the political type plots that seem to stem from it. I played a good deal of one of the GBA games too, but overall, I'm not *huge* on SRPG titles with job systems these days.

I did love that you could get Cloud though. That was the type of easter egg that was worth doing the extra stuff for, even if there wasn't an achievement attached. :)

Lomax

Right. But it's not a "port".

A bad PC game is just a bad PC game now. It isn't a bad "port".

Bad (or perfect?) example. Dead Rising 3 ran pretty badly on both the xone and the PC (but the game was a ton of fun). Again, a technically poor PC game, but not a bad port.

I think in some sense you could call it a "port" if one section of the company does all the development and another is just tasked with "make it run on a PC." But yeah, you're right, I think "porting" as a concept isn't nearly what it once was. But unless we're behind the scenes, we never truly know what is a port and what isn't, so they all still get slapped with the same banner.

DocSeuss

I'm not a Western expert and I've never been a real fan of the genre, so I can't really get your first point, but RDR is one of those games where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
Its writing may be partly sub par (but I strongly believe it's the best R* writing ever), its gameplay may be sloppy at times, but that atmosphere and that protagonist and that ending too... I'd die to be able to ride in those lands again on PC.
possibly with high res textures and other fancy stuff we're capable of

Oh, and I played it on PS3 and I really can't remember that kind of controls bug. :(

I'm really freaking exhausted so this may come across as more curt than I mean it to sound. Sorry if it does!

1) Westerns are awesome. Especially the mythic Spaghetti Westerns.

2) It is Rockstar's best writing ever. That's how bad they are. Dialog's great, character/plot/theme are not. Heck, these things often collide where the game is concerned--you're dragged around doing really repetitive tasks because of a repetitive story. Bears will kill you on sight in the gameplay, but during a cutscene, the game admonishes you for killing defenseless bears.

3) All the things you described are presentation. This is the single most important element of whether or not a game is popular.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
wtf is this?

Steam Check Out said:
† Note: You already own the following items in "Valve Complete Pack - 2013". You will not receive extra copies of these items when you complete this purchase:
Counter-Strike
Day of Defeat
Deathmatch Classic
Ricochet
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero
Half-Life 2
Counter-Strike: Source
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Team Fortress 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Portal 2

Has this always been this way?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So here is a question:

How big is everyone's wishlist?

Lately I've come to the realization that mine is slowly growing very large. It seems like I add a game a day, sometimes more. It's starting to worry me, as I already have a huge backlog of games to even install yet.... o_O

Sendou

So here is a question:

Lately I've come to the realization that mine is slowly growing very large. It seems like I add a game a day, sometimes more. It's starting to worry me, as I already have a huge backlog of games to even install yet.... o_O

All games I truly want to play too.

So here is a question:

8, I think.

Lomax

I'm really freaking exhausted so this may come across as more curt than I mean it to sound. Sorry if it does!

1) Westerns are awesome. Especially the mythic Spaghetti Westerns.

2) It is Rockstar's best writing ever. That's how bad they are. Dialog's great, character/plot/theme are not. Heck, these things often collide where the game is concerned--you're dragged around doing really repetitive tasks because of a repetitive story. Bears will kill you on sight in the gameplay, but during a cutscene, the game admonishes you for killing defenseless bears.

3) All the things you described are presentation. This is the single most important element of whether or not a game is popular.

I'm curious what your opinion is of Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, since it gets a lot of positive praise for its methods of story telling integrating with the gameplay.

So here is a question:

I capped mine, so any time I add something, I remove something else (though any time I buy something, I add something new...). I also stopped putting games on it that I know I'll only ever buy in bundles. At this point, it mostly serves as a means to look during Steam sales for price mistakes I'd want to jump on.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
So here is a question:

2, Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 2.

redlacs

So here is a question:

1021 ... expected to hit a cap reaching 1k but nothing happened so still rolling. wondering if there is any limit at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom