• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vuze

Got my 970 up and running after some cable magic (card was just a bit longer than I expected) and driver juggling (don't use the AMD Driver Cleaning utility...)

Ready for some downsampling action :D

So here is a question:

How big is everyone's wishlist?

Lately I've come to the realization that mine is slowly growing very large. It seems like I add a game a day, sometimes more. It's starting to worry me, as I already have a huge backlog of games to even install yet.... o_O

Remember, its not the size of it, its how you use it. I have exactly 50 games and if I add one, one has to go.

Dr Dogg

I can see this isn't going to end well.
Note: We do not have a list of minimum requirements for the game. If you’re trying to play with a rig with settings below these requirements (you should plan to have 4 GBs of VRAM regardless), we cannot guarantee optimal performance.

Now normally I wouldn't give a hoot about recommended specifications but this is id Tech 5 and it eats VRAM like a monster. Combined with the devs first use of this engine and from what Carmack was saying (that Tango were keeping themselves to themselves regards to speaking to id's engineers) I get the feeling this might be close the to truth. And I can't plan to have 4gb of VRAM, I mean it's not like I can stick more in and I'd say I'm in the top bracket for hardware let alone the majority of the audience for this game. It's going to be lower quality textures and having to use Virtual Texture Compression to get this to play nice with most people I suspect. Well we'll see very soon I guess.

Phinor

Anyone else have this issue/know how to fix this:

My Steam doesn't want to auto-update all games. Right now it's saying there's updates for four different games in the download queue. All four games have auto-updates enabled, but Steam just won't download those updates automatically. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. This morning it did auto update two games. The only relevant setting I found was to 'Allow downloads during gameplay' and that's already enabled. (Not that I'm playing anything anyway, that would go against thread rules.)

Arthea

Remember, its not the size of it, its how you use it. I have exactly 50 games and if I add one, one has to go.

oh! I used to do that, "trim"my wishlist to 50, but it became too much of work, so I stopped, I still clean it time to time, usually to ~60-70.

My Steam doesn't want to auto-update all games. Right now it's saying there's updates for four different games in the download queue. All four games have auto-updates enabled, but Steam just won't download those updates automatically. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. This morning it did auto update two games. The only relevant setting I found was to 'Allow downloads during gameplay' and that's already enabled. (Not that I'm playing anything anyway, that would go against thread rules.)

ya, I had it come and go for a long time, and some people had it too, it's sort of glitch. It'll start downloading if you restart steam (usually), or you can start download manually by "moving to the top", for some reason not always possible.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The Master Collection http://store.steampowered.com/sub/51362/ costs as much as Rome II while including Rome II. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and assume they've just forgot and it'll be discount later.

The sale spotlight on the front page says "Save 75% off Total War titles, except Rome II". Sega may have overlooked discounting the game at all but the DLC is almost assuredly discounted to a greater extent than it ought to be.

Anteater

I think that idea behind Remember Me combat is really cool, I mean programing your own combos, that go good with your fighting style is awesome idea. It somehow didn't work at all with Remember Me, probably because you still need good combat mechanics to pull it off. But I'm all for someone trying it again, in a right way this time.

I still haven't played Alice and I need to.

The problem with its combat is that all the moves have the same timing from what I can tell, and that's really not how you go about making a customizable combo system if you want variety, none of the moves have unique properties other than the RPG-esque stuff like healing and higher damage or whatever but it doesn't actually do anything else physically, like it doesn't launch enemies and it doesn't sweep enemies, there are no heavy attacks or quick weak attacks, they're just the same punches and kicks, I don't even know what she's doing most of the time to be honest other than the fact I know she's hitting the enemies.

Maybe there are things I don't know about the combat and I've only scratched the surface or whatever but I've been just zoning out whenever I get into a combat situation and try to get into a good angle and pressing my fov shortcuts and my screenshot button, and I'm enjoying that.

Turfster

Is one of them Team Fortress 2, by any chance?
Do you have enough space on the drive for twice the amount of data the game is already using?

zkylon

zkylewd
I think that idea behind Remember Me combat is really cool, I mean programing your own combos, that go good with your fighting style is awesome idea. It somehow didn't work at all with Remember Me, probably because you still need good combat mechanics to pull it off. But I'm all for someone trying it again, in a right way this time.

I still haven't played Alice and I need to.

i thought alice was the primest of prime examples of drags-on-for-fucking-forever

it's also nearly unplayable with k&m and i didn't have a controller at a time so, yea

i mean it's still gorgeous and waifu stuff but ehhh

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of crazyrabbits, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys and 3 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (crazyrabbits, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Blackwell 2: Unbound -- MB-4108B5457605915D - Taken by Saty. 3 entrants total.
Blackwell 3: Convergence -- MB-0CCCA5D56A0110B6 - Taken by Kiru. 2 entrants total.
Blackwell 1: Legacy -- MB-253F71AC1A754241 - Taken by GaussTek. 5 entrants total.
Windforge -- MB-30AA3028D0F13700 - Taken by Sarcasm. 4 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Bret Airborne (Desura) -- MB-FFBDF3D54731A683 - Taken by Darth Kupi
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-FA3BC9AD1C0A6E18 - Taken by Mengy. 1 entrants total.
Power-Up -- MB-098622AD9D70D1E8 - Taken by autoduelist. 2 entrants total.
Tropico 3 -- MB-2B43AF298D900073 - Taken by Monumma
ulgzbKC.png
Admiral Nemo (Desura) -- MB-A2E42A353FD86BE2 - Taken by Catshade
ulgzbKC.png
Sometimes (Desura) -- MB-6F4BE50BBBDC8183 - Taken by GaussTek

t1411670511z1.png

AHA-Lambda

I can see this isn't going to end well.

Now normally I wouldn't give a hoot about recommended specifications but this is id Tech 5 and it eats VRAM like a monster. Combined with the devs first use of this engine and from what Carmack was saying (that Tango were keeping themselves to themselves regards to speaking to id's engineers) I get the feeling this might be close the to truth. And I can't plan to have 4gb of VRAM, I mean it's not like I can stick more in and I'd say I'm in the top bracket for hardware let alone the majority of the audience for this game. It's going to be lower quality textures and having to use Virtual Texture Compression to get this to play nice with most people I suspect. Well we'll see very soon I guess.

Yep, I'm going to have to wait until when I upgrade next year before I play it now ;_;

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Tropico 3 -- MB-2E03C8D810C45AAC - Taken by crazyrabbits
Tropico 3 #2 -- MB-D2846F2B9685FC6B
Tropico 3 #4 -- MB-DF7B29981AC100A9
Tropico 3 #3 -- MB-AB2ECAF75E03A180

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
WRT to D4, Swery can port it or not port it, whatever. I'm not one of those platform port whiners.

But as far as I understand, the Kinect controls are mostly about emulating a mouse--certainly the controller version of the controls use the analogue stick to move a cursor. Maybe something is lost between the more complex or interesting uses of Kinect and the controller controls*, but at least the controller controls should be pretty easily replicable on KBM.

* Honestly, given Heavy Rain and Beyond, I think a thoughtful dev could map a wide array of interesting physical actions to controllers if they tried. Maybe nothing as complex as Gunstringer, Dance Central, or Haunt, but still some stuff.

madjoki

Would've thought Emergency 4 (a 2006 game) could've gone without a region lock.

Can't be a coincidence with this new stuff, it has to be on by default.

Pretty much as I suspected earlier. (Some Apps made for sale pages were locked too, even when there's no reason to sell a sale page :p)

Price mistake on Amazon - GTX 980 for £299.99

They usually honour price mistakes so worth a shot.

That's so tempting.

FloatOn

I finally got around to buying/playing Outlast. For some reason, the general vibe of the game turned me off, even though I'm a huge horror fan, so I never picked it up before this sale.

It's pretty effective. It uses jump scares in a way I enjoy, mixing up whether it will be an aggressive enemy or just an insane person saying hello. That puts you on edge when you walk into an area with people milling around. You never know who wants to harm you.

Overall I'm kind of disappointed just how closely it sticks to the Amnesia formula, though. Collecting batteries directly related to your ability to see in the dark, being completely defenseless and having to scope out places to hide, it all feels like a more polished yet less satisfying version of Amnesia.

At least for the couple hours I played, the setting doesn't get nearly as bizarre and unsettling as Amnesia did. Hopefully some surprises are in store, because Amnesia worked so well largely on the back of just how abstract and crazy it could get. This game feels much more like a standard haunted house where you run from psychotics over and over.

yeah I played outlast for a couple of hours and it didn't quite click with me either. It nails the atmosphere but running and hiding gets boring quick.

It's supposed to be a short game so I'll probably finish it at some point though. I think these first person horror adventure games would be served well by having just the tiniest bit of ways to defend yourself. I'm not talking shooting waves of bad guys but some kind of melee combat would go a long way I think for these.

Phawx

Alright this is seriously the last batch of unused humble stuff. Sorry for the multiple receiver keys. There system was borked and I put my email in a few times thinking it wasn't registering.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No thank-yous necessary
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Fieldrunners, BIT.TRIP BEAT, SpaceChem, and Uplink -- MB-F80807CA90793D8C - Taken by topyy. 2 entrants total.
Receiver #5 -- MB-DEAB558329CD850D
Receiver #4 -- MB-01226522D9DA4A13
Receiver #3 -- MB-6C0F7EBF496E683A
Receiver #2 -- MB-CB7C2F001E7FE79E
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition -- MB-346D7017A6EAC524 - Taken by Nyteshade517. 5 entrants total.
Ravensword: Shadowlands -- MB-6BA5399B7A2B5F2E
World of Goo, Anomaly, Osmos, and EDGE -- MB-C9210458CDE4C3DB - Taken by Darth Kupi. 5 entrants total.
Bridge Constructor -- MB-DDB24A19227B03D8 - Taken by Aitor. 2 entrants total.
Receiver -- MB-6F649947A81966A0
Tropico 3 -- MB-0F99128C578BF0DA

t1411677891z1.png

Locust

Pretty much as I suspected earlier. (Some Apps made for sale pages were locked too, even when there's no reason to sell a sale page :p)

Yeah, I posted that too. Haven't seen any new region free stuff where the main store sub is less than 13-14 days old.

Just received a 15% off coupon for Road Redemption if anyone wants it (< my homepage is my steam profile).

Also, does anyone if the charging dock for PS3 gamepads works fine connected to the PC?

Arthea

The problem with its combat is that all the moves have the same timing from what I can tell, and that's really not how you go about making a customizable combo system if you want variety, none of the moves have unique properties other than the RPG-esque stuff like healing and higher damage or whatever but it doesn't actually do anything else physically, like it doesn't launch enemies and it doesn't sweep enemies, there are no heavy attacks or quick weak attacks, they're just the same punches and kicks, I don't even know what she's doing most of the time to be honest other than the fact I know she's hitting the enemies.

Maybe there are things I don't know about the combat and I've only scratched the surface or whatever but I've been just zoning out whenever I get into a combat situation and try to get into a good angle and pressing my fov shortcuts and my screenshot button, and I'm enjoying that.

My main problem with Remember me combos is that those doesn't feel like combos at all: slow, clumsy and beside the point most of the time.
Not saying it's a bad combat, more like not what I imagined it to be. Like making really long and intricate chains of moves for various situations. They kinda tried that but failed.

i thought alice was the primest of prime examples of drags-on-for-fucking-forever

it's also nearly unplayable with k&m and i didn't have a controller at a time so, yea

i mean it's still gorgeous and waifu stuff but ehhh

my sis likes it, one of reasons I feel the need to play it, to discuss fun stuff and all, but she played it in short bursts, so maybe that's why she wasn't bored by it. Also it's pretty, so there is that.

Phinor

Is one of them Team Fortress 2, by any chance?
Do you have enough space on the drive for twice the amount of data the game is already using?

Nope, I don't have TF2 installed. The games change daily, as new updates are released. Today the games that did auto-update are Endless Legend and Defense Grid 2. Games that refuse to auto-update are Company of Heroes 2, Total War Rome 2, Age of Wonders 3 and Prison Architect. Did all those four even receive updates today? Sometimes when I click the update button, it downloads nothing and the game disappears from the downloads list completely.

Plenty of space on all my drives.

Mordeccai

I'm not understanding the DOTA hype. For some reason, I'm not sure how it's good. It could just be me.

Get out now, seriously. Don't give the game any more chances. I was in your shoes a year ago. Now I'm 1800 hours deep and stuck with an ever growing backlog because the game has stifled my interest in single player games.

I'm really on the verge of uninstalling even with the new patch coming up. After almost two thousand hours of playing I'm coming to realize I don't want to spend my gaming time being flamed or flaming, being punished for having idiots on my team last picking horrible heros, and in general playing a very psychologically demanding game. And the game length is extremely variable, there is no such thing as a 'quick round of dota.' Last night I went into a match before bed and it wound up lasting 70 minutes. The game was most certainly lost by 20 minutes, which made the remaining 50 horrible to slog through. And the penalty for having to leave, or having real life stuff happen like power outages or emergencies, is very severe.

I've had my share of fun with it, but it's really not been healthy for me either. I struggled through my final semesters of college because I got hooked. Lost a lot of time too, prime time of my youth, slaving over this game. And now I'm having to rehab myself back into playing games that aren't MOBAs. Resident Evil 4 is helping me greatly with this.

Started playing Clash of Heroes on steam, then thought about how great it would be as an ios game. Turns out i already owned it on ios.

Now i know how some of you steam folks feel.

Arthea

Started playing Clash of Heroes on steam, then thought about how great it would be as an ios game. Turns out i already owned it on ios.

Now i know how some of you steam folks feel.

no worries, I own 3-4 versions of it, totally worth it (><)
PC version is HD version, btw, so it's not exactly the same thing.

Turfster

Humble Leading Ladies bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Lily Looking Through
  • Ms Splosion Man
  • The Cat Lady
  • Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten
TIER 2: 6$
  • Long Live the Queen
  • The Yawgh
TIER 3: 10$
  • Valdis Story: Abyssal City

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, I posted that too. Haven't seen any new region free stuff where the main store sub is less than 13-14 days old.

I haven't gone digging deep, but the handful of new/recent DLC subs I checked are region-free, as is the new Total War Collection sub (six days old). If ACRTAG is now included by default then this seemingly doesn't apply to DLC.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Humble Leading Ladies bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Lily Looking Through
  • Ms Splosion Man
  • The Cat Lady
  • Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten

Defender's Quest is a fun (though somewhat forgettable) Tower Defense game, I recommend it especially for $1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom