• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Electronic Super Joy -- MB-A58BC64A299562CC - Taken by Bubbavelli. 4 entrants total.
Electronic Super Joy: Groove City -- MB-9D0F20EDEFEC9B05 - Taken by electroflame. 1 entrants total.

t1411782116z1.png

I was under the impression that the LotR game licensing deal didn't allow them to just make games without the approval of the Tolkien estate.

Obviously the game is non-canon, but I think they at least had the go ahead to make the game.

I guess I'm talking more from an ideological/critical standpoint. Licensing didn't stop Christopher Tolkien from obliterating the movies despite their relative faithfulness to the source material. I can only imagine the kind of rant he'll launch on this latest "abomination."

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I type in listings from PC magazines.

Yep, people did that in the 80s.

It was the humble bundles of the era. Every month, new issue of Crash or Your Sinclair or some off brand came to me and several new games were available to be played. Sure only 1 in 9 of those were ever any good, and most of the time there were coding errors that needed to be fixed, but they were the +1s to a "library" of possible games to play.

Happy memories that, both playing and learning coding.

Parsnip

I think I should probably pre-load Mordor as well, my download speed isn't what it used to be. There was a time when I could download a pretty large game faster than it would have taken me to decrypt the preload. Those were good times.

I curse the defacto monopoly position Sonera has in northern Finland on internet landlines.
Boo I say.

Also, whenever someone shortens Mordor into SoM, all I can think about is Secret of Mana.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Thanks for Pivvot. It's really cool and I played it a bunch in airports and stuff while I was moving, since only had my MacBook Air. I highly recommend it to anyone who liked Super Hexagon but wants something a little easier and more structured, but still bonkers, trippy, and challenging.

Miguel81

Any of you guys using Sennheiser HD 439? I need some decent headphones and Newegg has them on sale for 39 bucks. The Evil Within and Alien Isolation will demand decent sound.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Thanks for Pivvot. It's really cool and I played it a bunch in airports and stuff while I was moving, since only had my MacBook Air. I highly recommend it to anyone who liked Super Hexagon but wants something a little easier and more structured, but still bonkers, trippy, and challenging.

Glad you liked it. :)

Grief.exe

Any of you guys using Sennheiser HD 439? I need some decent headphones and Newegg has them on sale for 39 bucks. The Evil Within and Alien Isolation will demand decent sound.

You generally want more open headphone designs in gaming due to the sound stage and positioning they provide. Closed are better for certain types of music and if you are worried about sound leakage.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JOETX8/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001ARCFA/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042A68R8/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009S333U4/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009S332TQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042A8CW2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I literally cannot wait for Isaac rebirth. I tried, I can't. This is the end for me, tell cj he only had to follow the train.

How long did it take for the original to click? I have tried several times to get into it because of the love it gets but have not been able to do so.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Extras:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kagemusha, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Knytt Underground -- MB-5DDB0B20F453DAD0 - Taken by Mokoi
Rock of Ages -- MB-B31B492F43091048 - Taken by Gvaz
Inquisitor Deluxe Edition -- MB-C54DFAF73127D626 - Taken by KingDirk
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-CF8A2704A1E4DC77
3089 -- MB-ED37B5A4FAE17E2D - Taken by XDDX
Mount & Blade -- MB-FC2CE1C32506C290 - Taken by darkchewie
Zeno Clash 2 -- MB-8DD4E6D142CAF515 - Taken by NightmareTrigger
Epigenesis -- MB-2C1E1246B87A9AA3 - Taken by Aitor. 1 entrants total.
8BitBoy -- MB-CA752959386F25F0 - Taken by Darth Kupi
echo of the Wilds -- MB-A7C0130B5B07FE58 - Taken by fernandes
Enjoy

FloatOn

I was grinning like an idiot just now playing on the tablet half of my 2 in 1 with plants vs zombies.

there should be more touch screen friendly games on steam.

Miguel81

You generally want more open headphone designs in gaming due to the sound stage and positioning they provide. Closed are better for certain types of music and if you are worried about sound leakage.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JOETX8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That's no problem.
I'll start with these due to cost, and use my Onkyo Receiver for amplification. Amazon has a decent return policy compared to Newegg(even though I'm using Shoprunner atm) in case I'm not satisfied.

jblank83

Or sound isolation. Open headphones let in noise from outside. Closed are like ear muffs.

MUnited83

For you.
To buy Mordor or not to buy Mordor... decisions decisions... I would have bought it already if I had a decent PC, but I have my doubts that the game will run decently on my crappy laptop.

MattyG

Banned
I'm finally getting a checking account and debit card tomorrow, so buying digital games is finally going to be so much easier. I was going to get Mordor, Alien and Witcher 3 from someone in the B/S/T thread, and I have to use Paypal. I've never used Paypal before, so I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me how easy it is to use and whether or not it's safe to use with funds from a bank account/debit card.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Pyrite Heart is so amazing, Kenta for best husbando.
Byf-2Q6IYAACT8g.png

Ahri is pretty funny herself with her attitude, makes it funny when the thus far Ryuu and Kenta comment to her. Definitely want more Kenta though, his eye are mesmerizing and his smile.
This screenshot plays to my sensibilities.

Just looked at the store page. Dat digital dakimakura lol.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
answer the fucking question GOD DAMNIT

I found it incredibly easy setting up some homebrew drivers for the 360 pad on the GFs iMac that so far have convinced every game to treat my spare 360 pad appropriately (button prompts, rumble etc.) It cost me 0$.

fiveelementninja is such a nice bro. Thank you again so much! :D
added some context to the above that hopefully makes it a bit funnier (slightly sad too)
As for RDR...
Simple version?
1) It's not a good Western--what it has to say has already been said, and better, elsewhere. The game's ultimate theme is "the gubmint is bad, mmk?" also some nonsense about how "the west is dying" but the Peckinpah stuff it so desperately attempts to be manages to do it better.
2) It's a game that will drastically alter character voice so it can make the point. That's a sign of bad writing.
3) The controls are bad--I kept encountering a bug on 360. Let's say I wanted to turn 45 degrees to the right. Pushing 45 degrees to the right on the stick meant that John would turn to the left, jog around in a little circle, and then head off in that direction. This can lead to running into doors or off cliffs, depending on where you are in the game.
So, uh... not much about it is that good, really.
Great poker sim, though. Very 'authentic' Western in terms of sfx and stuff. Also the only game I can think of that attempts to do atmospheric distortion instead of distance fog.
Can't comment on the poker or any other table games - as I don't know the rules :p - but I had some fun and some annoying times with RDR. The first 5 hours were the best for me because I found the atmosphere and world to be refreshing and new. The world was huge. And empty. This made me appreciate the idea the devs were going for. In the end the wild west is supposed to be an uninhabited vastness of nothing. Riding my horse through the desert was cool the first couple hours and it felt "realistic" - that's how I thought the western was supposed to be. But it just wasn't fun after the nth time. It also only got emphasized by missions which took some time travelling from point a to b. I think a world bit more condensed would have been more fun to me.
Besides the mash-to-run thing I hadn't any problems with the controls tbh. I was used to the wonkiness or tank-like movements from GTA4 and since it's the same euphoria engine I don't know whether changing the physics-based movement is actually possible?! It felt like marston had a rope around him tbh and I wasn't controlling him but pulling the rope. Animations we're nicer though, since rapid changes were not usual and tbh not needed. It was a slow game, apart shooting. And that could easily be crawled to a halt with deadeye. Would still replay the dirt out of it on PC. That zombie dlc had a better campaign then the base game though. Or I am a sucker for zombies, hah.
Story was nothing to write home about and only few characters were interesting but none got the time they deserved. The ending was memorable and at least didn't leave a bad aftertaste.
---
Man, now I feel like a freak for having about a 40% completion rate... at 734 games =p
Wow, and I always thought you're idling when I saw your in-game name. Do you even work on your own thing anymore? :p
---
So here is a question:
How big is everyone's wishlist?
434. I trim fat from time to time but it just keeps growing. Most of the stuff I didn't even find on my own really. Just looking through friends wishlists. Found so many awesome titles I've never and would never hear about otherwise. Really recommend it to everyone.
---
how could something so kawaii be associated with those evil numbers
should i be worried???
666 being evil? Wonder where stupid stuff like that came from? I love Schnappszahlen like that. (you english folks need more definite words, yo)
---
I don't bother to make webms anymore cause I'm not posting in here nearly as often (and that's still too much).
You should though. There are only that many quality posters and I welcome all webms. Robert Sullivan's LP webms really sold me on the game. Had it written off due to reviews... don't read reviews anymore and it's a blast.
---
So because I've won Unity I've decided to giveaway this.
After all the reviews who isn't interested in this?
Really happy legacy won this. Congrats, bro! With you just having had birthday, this is even better :)

Alright, wasn't interested in this game but I'll take a look at gameplay vids. LotR universe isn't my thing at all. But if gameplay is good, things can change.
But I won't give in to hype. It often ends in tears disappointment.
---
I posted about it in the indie thread, but I may also post it here as well since some of you may get interested:
This looks cool. Great find panda!
But sometimes I wonder how much I get influenced by visuals/artstyle alone? Importance of core gameplay/refined and thought-out mechanics gets overshadowed for me so often, I have to re-check myself from time to time.
---
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21733740/EasyA.gif
Welcome back, duder! Hope you we won't see you chained again because of stupid popgaf ;) Now that you had some time, did you make good dev-progress on your game?
I see that gif fairly often. She really is a cutie but what movie is that from (any good)?
---
Well today is my birthday and I'm one year closer to the dreaded 30.
Happy birthday! You're not the only one ;)
But when do I find myself behind the wheel of a large automobile and in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife, asking myself How did I get here?

Btw, turfster, you a curator already? I would like to have your recs. as well. You should do it.

Uhm, quite the long-ass post..

Miguel81

Does the 360 pad work the same on a Mac with Xinput and all that jazz, or does it default to DirectInput with separate triggers rather than same axis?

Also, the DS3 is supported native on the mac, right?

Aw man the DS4 shuts off when it fully charges. Happened to me twice while playing some matches on USF4.

This is the universe telling you that USF4 is not meant to be played on a pad.
Y'know, I don't have that problem with my fightstick. It's never shut off on me once during a match. :3

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Welcome back, duder! Hope you we won't see you chained again because of stupid popgaf ;) Now that you had some time, did you make good dev-progress on your game?
I see that gif fairly often. She really is a cutie but what movie is that from (any good)?

I have made progress with the visual aspects of the game but Im slowly working with the programming aspect. Programming is definitely not my forte but Im going at it :p

As for the movie: Easy A. Pretty good movie if you like 80s like teenage movies. Its pretty much a John Hughes Tribute movie.

Wookieomg

Hi guys! I noticed that there's a Capcom sale today on GMG. Figure I'll ask you guys..

I already have RE4, but are RE5, RE6, and RE:Revelations worth it? 10 dollars for RE5, 10 dollars for RE6, and 12.50 for RE:Revelations. Really considering pulling the trigger, but if they're abysmal ports/awful games/etc then I'll steer clear.

def sim

You could say the controller... defaults to off.

comeon42k1m.png

Y'know, I don't have that problem with my fightstick. It's never shut off on me once during a match. :3

I actually do have a TE stick, but it's tucked away in my closet so it might as well be gone forever. The DS4 is a fantastic controller, though. It's one of the better pads for fighting games I've used in a long while.

Jawmuncher

Hi guys! I noticed that there's a Capcom sale today on GMG. Figure I'll ask you guys..

I already have RE4, but are RE5, RE6, and RE:Revelations worth it? 10 dollars for RE5, 10 dollars for RE6, and 12.50 for RE:Revelations. Really considering pulling the trigger, but if they're abysmal ports/awful games/etc then I'll steer clear.

All of the ports are great and RE5 is getting Steamworks next year.

Now as for the games it all depends.
Do you absolutely hate the fact that RE is action now? If so you won't like 5 & 6. If you don't mind 5 is a very fun action game especially in coop. 6 has its flaws but there's still a lot of content there for the price and the gameplay is top notch. Easily the best mechanics of a TPS in recent years besides vanquish.

Revelations is its own beast. It's slower and tries to be scary. Still it has the action but melee and the like are all toned down. I personally don't like it. But a lot if GAF does because it tries to return to older style RE.

Turfster

Wow, and I always thought you're idling when I saw your in-game name. Do you even work on your own thing anymore? :p
Btw, turfster, you a curator already? I would like to have your recs. as well. You should do it.
Yes, I do =p
Sometimes we need to do other things to refresh the mind!
(Also I've been doing a lot of translation work, so I unwind with some gaming =p)

And no, I'm not a curator.
I... have no faith in the system as it's currently set up to be, to be honest.

Kanokare

I used to say the same but its gotten to the point where controllers are decent enough to be played on. Whatever best benefits the player. I prefer a fight stick so I don't over rotate more than I already do sometimes.

Miguel81

Make sure you use the voucher for 25% off on all the games. RE4, RE5(hope for Gold Edition), and Revelations are all good games. Resi 6 was blah for me, but there are GAFfers here that vouch for the combat system.

Nabs

Aw man the DS4 shuts off when it fully charges. Happened to me twice while playing some matches on USF4.

Weird. Any ideas why that's happening? This is the first time I've heard of that.

comeon42k1m.png

I actually do have a TE stick, but it's tucked away in my closet so it might as well be gone forever. The DS4 is a fantastic controller, though. It's one of the better pads for fighting games I've used in a long while.

It's time to dig in that closet.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Hey,

If you're a 2D sidescrolling shooter fan, you might find this game interesting. The key should be good, but if it is not, please let me know so I can resolve the issue.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Everyone:

To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Casimir, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Deadly 30 -- MB-8B05FFE162730F07 - Taken by $h@d0w

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom