• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed the Steam sale on Total War Shogun 2 and DLCs for 75% off. I have the base game already but is the DLC worth buying? It doesn't seem like having the extra unit or clan packs really add much to the gameplay, but I could be wrong.

Guys.

Help me win a bet with another GAF.

Does a pre-announced Season Pass count as pre-order or after launch DLC?

Your answer could save me $10.
If you're buying a season pass before the content is out, I think preordering would be the right term. I'd consider it DLC after the first part of a season pass is released. But that depends, really
Now, can I have that $5 in ones, please?

I understand that it is a grey area, but for all intents and purposes, a Season Pass can count as pre-order DLC, yes?
If the season pass comes with game preorder with no extra charge, then yes, I would consider it a preorder bonus, since it serves the same purpose as those useless skins.

liezryou

I think everyone has had an idea of what Shadow of Mordor was from the moment it was announced, all reviews have done is tell you whether they did that well or not, which apparently it does. I can't see it changing anyone's opinions on the genres it is trying to portray.

Well I actually had no idea it was going to be a stealthy game. But I preordered without reading a single detail about the game other than the name :p.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

AI War: Fleet Command -- MB-E23D29CD993970DA - Taken by Mengy. 2 entrants total.
World War 2: Time of Wrath -- MB-4E9DC8A93D53783D - Taken by TheMadMan007. 1 entrants total.
War on Folvos -- MB-081B3F2485258448 - Taken by bluechox2. 2 entrants total.

t1411792196z1.png

oceanskie

Banned
What is the GAF's consensus (if such thing exists) regarding Wasteland 2?

Watched a few gameplays/reviews, feeling the itch now.

Also how many hours for a relatively good completionist run?

What is the GAF's consensus (if such thing exists) regarding Wasteland 2?

Watched a few gameplays/reviews, feeling the itch now.

Also how many hours for a relatively good completionist run?

I backed it and I'm really enjoying it thus far. I don't know how long it takes to do a completionist run considering I'm not done, and it's only been out on full release for a week or so. Since release I've put in about 25 hours and if I had to guess I'm one third to one half done.

Sober

I noticed the Steam sale on Total War Shogun 2 and DLCs for 75% off. I have the base game already but is the DLC worth buying? It doesn't seem like having the extra unit or clan packs really add much to the gameplay, but I could be wrong.
Rise of the Samurai is an entire new campaign with different units/buildings/techs/factions. Get that at the very least.

The clan packs are decent, they have pretty interesting playstyles.

The unit packs are alright but most of them are late game units so they're mostly good for MP or if you really want to work to getting them in the later parts of the campaign.

dreamfall

wtf is the game not optimized or does it look that impressive?

No one knows for sure yet, but they're asking for 6GBs of VRAM for Ultra textures, and 3GB for High texture quality. I mean, that's pretty wild. I haven't seen something that demanding in awhile, and I know I'll probably need to upgrade my card soon (but I guess I'm waiting for a 980 >4GB).

I don't even think visually it looks that amazing, but god damn!

Anustart

Can tell I've been playing too much Skyrim. Was playing some FF 7 just now, got up to the gold saucer and the scene with all the dead shinra guys started. I instantly thought I should loot their corpses.

Teeth

What could possibly make a game that demanding?

If you watch any footage of the game you'll see that it's really low on geometry. Everything is broad swaths of textures. Lots of flat planes, boxed out buildings, and barren lands.

Honestly, it looks a lot like a cross generation game to me. The texture quality may be very high (tough to tell in Youtube vids), but it's not exceptionally good looking.

See for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrzSBpkxbqw

Goddamn RE4 is a long game.

Would've thought that on my 4th playthrough I'd be able to get through the game a bit faster.
Nope. Almost 10 hours and I'm only at Chapter 4-4.

On the bright side, getting the bottle caps is way easier than I expected(never went for them before *shrug*).

Also giving up on trying to play RPG Maker games. It's just not working out.

Jawmuncher

If you watch any footage of the game you'll see that it's really low on geometry. Everything is broad swaths of textures. Lots of flat planes, boxed out buildings, and barren lands.

Honestly, it looks a lot like a cross generation game to me. The texture quality may be very high (tough to tell in Youtube vids), but it's not exceptionally good looking.

When on actual highest setting for the video the textures indeed look very good to me. Though like you said looks to be character mainly.

Any one played Life is Feudal? Game seems like it could be neat.

Thread has been in Wii U mode lately, so in a similarly off-topic spirit(outside of Forza teases in DX12 demonstrations) oh my word Forza Horizon 2 is the best arcade racer ever. Crazy flip 24 seconds in is the best, and such pratfalls happen so often.

kurahador

Orcs textures looks really good though.

I wonder if the randomly generated Orcs in Nemesis System has something to do with the high VRAM requirement.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was informed earlier that Extreme Roads USA is no longer available. It's also been yanked from Amazon, GamersGate and Mac Game Store, but I think retail keys register on Steam.

Teeth

When on actual highest setting for the video the textures indeed look very good to me. Though like you said looks to be character mainly.

Orcs textures looks really good though.

I wonder if the randomly generated Orcs in Nemesis System has something to do with the high VRAM requirement.

I agree, the characters look good. I'm not saying that the game doesn't have high quality texture work, I just don't think the overall "graphics" are exceptional. As in, the technical art director and art director chose to use lots of high res textures but keep the geometry low on balance (everything is a balance in graphical design), which works well for the present console setups.

But look at all the fight scenes and general walking around...the ground is flat, the walls are flat, there is little foliage (which...Mordor, yeah, i get it, but they are clearly taking liberties with the setting as is)...everything looks bereft of form detail.

So really what I'm saying is that while the game is demanding, I'm not sure the level of demand is congruent with how nice the final technical art direction "looks". Ie- asking for a lot and not getting a bunch in return.

All my own opinion of course.

Tizoc

That's pretty far in from my recollection from the game. But I never did the list chapters stuff so is don't know how that affects length.

I spoiled myself and it seems I'm in the last 50% of the game lol.

How many days left for the Fable playfire rewards, at work so I can't check ^^;

I need to get the 'all magic' cheevo, totally neglected that I needed to get lvl. 1 of each spell to get this cheevo XD.

S1n1st3r

Banned
I spoiled myself and it seems I'm in the last 50% of the game lol.

How many days left for the Fable playfire rewards, at work so I can't check ^^;

I need to get the 'all magic' cheevo, totally neglected that I needed to get lvl. 1 of each spell to get this cheevo XD.

Fable Anniversary?

1 day 18 hrs I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom