• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to say the same but its gotten to the point where controllers are decent enough to be played on. Whatever best benefits the player. I prefer a fight stick so I don't over rotate more than I already do sometimes.

I don't know what kind of finger yoga you've been doing, but I find it just about impossible to play a 6 button fighter on a controller... though I suppose I haven't tried recently except on Vita which is about the same as playing on a SNES pad... which is impossible to do well, IMO, with a button mapped above the d-pad.

But I guess if you have a functional R1/R2, you could manage, since you'd never have to be doing motions and button presses at the same time with your left hand.

Wookieomg

All of the ports are great and RE5 is getting Steamworks next year.

Now as for the games it all depends.
Do you absolutely hate the fact that RE is action now? If so you won't like 5 & 6. If you don't mind 5 is a very fun action game especially in coop. 6 has its flaws but there's still a lot of content there for the price and the gameplay is top notch. Easily the best mechanics of a TPS in recent years besides vanquish.

Revelations is its own beast. It's slower and tries to be scary. Still it has the action but melee and the like are all toned down. I personally don't like it. But a lot if GAF does because it tries to return to older style RE.

Make sure you use the voucher for 25% off on all the games. RE4, RE5(hope for Gold Edition), and Revelations are all good games. Resi 6 was blah for me, but there are GAFfers here that vouch for the combat system.

Hmm, Thanks for the responses! I don't need my RE to always be horror or to always be action; I'll accept them for what they are. So if they're good TPS games then I'll treat them as that! :)

I didn't know you could stack the 25% coupon when they're already deeply discounted, but I'll give it a whirl!

MUnited83

For you.
System requirements for Binding of Isaac Rebirth Soundtrack

MINIMUM:
Processor: Yes
Graphics: Only if you like bananas
Hard Drive: 500 MB available space
Sound Card: Yes, please!
Additional Notes: We <3 you

Kanokare

I don't know what kind of finger yoga you've been doing, but I find it just about impossible to play a 6 button fighter on a controller... though I suppose I haven't tried recently except on Vita which is about the same as playing on a SNES pad... which is impossible to do well, IMO, with a button mapped above the d-pad.

But I guess if you have a functional R1/R2, you could manage, since you'd never have to be doing motions and button presses at the same time with your left hand.

A lot of pros use controllers. Some like Luffy who won Evo 2014 uses a modded PS1 controller. But like I said, I prefer sticks.

def sim

Weird. Any ideas why that's happening? This is the first time I've heard of that.

No, not at all. I'm going to try to recreate it and see if being charged is what's actually causing it.

It's time to dig in that closet.

Eventually! Part of the reason why I haven't is that I don't think I'll be buying a new stick for PS4/XBO anytime soon, so I'm trying to get used to pad for now. I'll likely mod my current TE down to road.

Miguel81

I've always done better on gamepads when it comes to fighting games. A couple of years back I purchased a usb Saturn pad and it was glorious(until it broke 2 months later).

zkylon

zkylewd
why is there so much hype for that mordor game

i assume it'll have giant spiders so i didn't pay any attention to it but is it like the lord of the rings arkham finally-a-good-game-out-this-franchise thingie?

Turfster

i assume it'll have giant spiders so i didn't pay any attention to it but is it like the lord of the rings arkham finally-a-good-game-out-this-franchise thingie?

Eeeeh... give it a week for actual players to play it that don't have to stick a number on things.
It could be good.
It could also be asscrud boring and shit.

MayMay

Banned

Seems like it is, the Arkham comparison is actually closer than you might think. It basically IS Arkham in the LotR Universe (with some changes etc of course lol). Seeing as the combat is basically Arkham and all that.

It reviewed very well, and looks very exciting. But in the end, who knows if its actually good

Tecl0n

HEY! Battle for middle earth was quite good.

Shadownet

Banned

There were spiders in the LotR movies and the Hobbit movies. So I wouldn't be surprised if there will be some in Shadow of Mordor.

Miguel81

Have you ever watched "Kingdom of the Spiders", or played the spider cave section in Tomb Raider II? As a fellow arachnophobe, I advise you to stay away from those two.

Nabs

No, not at all. I'm going to try to recreate it and see if being charged is what's actually causing it.

Eventually! Part of the reason why I haven't is that I don't think I'll be buying a new stick for PS4/XBO anytime soon, so I'm trying to get used to pad for now. I'll likely mod my current TE down to road.

That mod sounds way better than paying $200 for a new stick.

The games based on The Two Towers and the Return of the King were quite decent too. I liked Conquest, but I was only wanting a Battlefront with LOTR skin, which was more or less what I got, even if it wasn't really that brilliant.

zkylon

zkylewd
speaking of spiders has anyone played enough wasteland to give me a rundown of the bug situation

i'm kinda suddenly super uninterested of going back to dragonfall and remember me is uhhh not too good, so i either do wasteland or finally start persona 4 and i really don't wanna go down that rabbit hole again lol

Seems like it is, the Arkham comparison is actually closer than you might think. It basically IS Arkham in the LotR Universe (with some changes etc of course lol). Seeing as the combat is basically Arkham and all that.

It reviewed very well, and looks very exciting. But in the end, who knows if its actually good

going through the slog that is remember me i feel like saying games have "arkham"-esque combat is a negative for me now

new batman game tho is prolly gonna be pretty dope. tho tbh city was too big for me, too much stuff

i dunno i pretty much ignored the whole lotr series of games for the obvious reasons

i think i played the rts one at a friend's house or something but i've generally stayed away

Have you ever watched "Kingdom of the Spiders", or played the spider cave section in Tomb Raider II? As a fellow arachnophobe, I advise you to stay away from those two.
probably wouldn't watch anything with the former name and i'm not too big of a fan of the tomb raider series

i tried playing the top down game which was really fun until well, yeah....

Tecl0n

The games based on The Two Towers and the Return of the King were quite decent too. I liked Conquest, but I was only wanting a Battlefront with LOTR skin, which was more or less what I got, even if it wasn't really that brilliant.

Ah yes the return of the king ps2 game was enjoyable, i went full zkylon though. Couldn't get past the Shelob level. Then again i liked the third age, though it's viewed quite badly.

Cant use my pc for a while so I cant play it on my pc. Luckily I built my bros :) cant preload mordor tho since itsfamily sharing I guess. Hopefully we can family share whwn the game actually comes out tho. Really excited

Eeeeh... give it a week for actual players to play it that don't have to stick a number on things.
It could be good.
It could also be asscrud boring and shit.

I'm assuming for now people are hyped about it in direct reference to asscreed and the batman games.

This doesn't help me all that much.

The PS2 games were good mindless fun. They also might have more combat depth than Shadow of Mordor...will have to see.

Miguel81

probably wouldn't watch anything with the former name and i'm not too big of a fan of the tomb raider series

i tried playing the top down game which was really fun until well, yeah....

Good for you. That section, with those ancient and crued visuals. And the sounds that they made -- feel like they were crawling on me. I had to look away, shoot and jump like and idiot hoping that I would dispose of them in order to progress. Ugh...

Turfster

I'm assuming for now people are hyped about it in direct reference to asscreed and the batman games.

This doesn't help me all that much.
Yeah.
I liked like... three quarters of an assassin's creed game, and one and a half batman game? Kinda?

Also, reviewers can't really cover the depth and breadth of games like this, especially when they're not given the time for it.

I've seen people mention using a CronusMAX to get controllers of different types to work on various platforms. May be worth looking into.

Yeah.
I liked like... three quarters of an assassin's creed game, and one and a half batman game? Kinda?

Also, reviewers can't really cover the depth and breadth of games like this, especially when they're not given the time for it.

Yeah that is where the AAA issue comes in. All those games are fun for maybe 4 hours. Then you realise the rest of the game is the same thing, 10-20 times over again.

And you die a little inside.

Which is not to say 4 hours of fun is to be sneezed at, but it all depends on the entry price.

zkylon

zkylewd
well consider whatever interest i had in that game killed

That is where the AAA issue comes in. All those games are fun for maybe 4 hours. Then you realise the rest of the game is the same thing, 10-20 times over again.

yup

the only reason i stand it with the ass creed games is cos the history stuff really hooks me

i also really liked the story in ass 3, i thought the dad dude was really cool

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I beat The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Here are some scattered impressions.

After a bit of aimless wandering at the start I didn't get stuck even once, which is a positive. It was like the game was always saying "hey, have fun checking this place out", and after I was done with each section I connected what I found and moved on to the next. It wasn't unfair at any point and didn't treat me like an idiot either. Presentation and design were on point.

Very satisfying exploration here. There's no hanholding (like it vehemently proclaims at the start), so you need to explore to discover what's going on. Plus, the atmosphere is rad, the game looks gorgeous, the soundtrack is great and there's a run button.

(Very light gameplay spoilers in the next paragraph.)

I wouldn't say the act of investigating is very deep though. I can see people disagreeing with me on this, but Ethan Carter isn't that structurally different from Gone Home as far as what the game asks of you. This is not a jab against the game, I liked Gone Home. Ethan Carter is more elaborate, there are puzzles and short cutscenes, and the maps are on a bigger scale, but after you understand what the gameplay boils down to and you have the layout of the whole region in your head it's smooth sailing. You're still basically looking for the interactable elements to make the plot advance and understand what happened, and even though you have to do things in a certain order at each area it's always lenient. The puzzles have "aha moments" and there are a couple of sections that may be head scratchers, but most of it gets pretty clear after you saw all the necessary components (which are never too far from each other), especially if you are acquainted with adventure games. But yeah, this was my personal experience and YMMV.

Took me 5 hours. I don't know how long it's taking other people, but I did restart once because of a bug that happened in my playthrough that would supposedly break some puzzles, and I wanted to be on the safe side (this bug was patched today but I had already faced it). Anyway, I definitely got my money's worth. I'm glad I pre-ordered because the bonuses are nice and the soundtrack is pretty cool, with extra mixes and endless loop versions.

Turfster

I think of Batman as a better Assassin's Creed.

Eh, Batman does a lot more with its base mechanics than Asscrud, and it (at least in the first, and mostly in the second one) actually makes its world an interesting place to live in.

Yeah that is where the AAA issue comes in. All those games are fun for maybe 4 hours. Then you realise the rest of the game is the same thing, 10-20 times over again.

Which is not to say 4 hours of fun is to be sneezed at, but it all depends on the entry price.

Yeah, I was hype for Assassin's creed to start with.
"You have to carefully research your target and take care of them in secret, without being discovered."
Of course, then we discovered that it was basically "sit on a bench near talking people over and over again, rush towards your target, kill him in broad daylight surrounded by guards and then get away, either by killing all of them or just walking away"

Lomax

I think everyone has had an idea of what Shadow of Mordor was from the moment it was announced, all reviews have done is tell you whether they did that well or not, which apparently it does. I can't see it changing anyone's opinions on the genres it is trying to portray.

bender

What time is it?
Added Ethan Carter to my wish list. Sounds really interesting.

Yeah, I was hype for Assassin's creed to start with.

The setting and character designs are really appealing to me but the game is at conflict with my expectations for an assassin game. I know you can play AC games with some degree of stealth but the overly simplified combat and traversal just bores me to death.

Guys, this LOTR game is legit entertaining. I'm slow mo hacking dudes, there's a sweet skilll tree, and the loot makes looking through every nook and cranny worth it. Whenever you get a chance, get it. Don't pass it up.
War in the North
is a fun treat, and
the coop
really makes it all the more better.

Guys, this LOTR of the rings game is legit entertaining. I'm slow mo hacking dudes, there's a sweet skilll tree, and the loot makes looking through every nook and cranny worth it. Whenever you get a chance, get it. Don't pass it up.
War in the North
is fun treat, and
the coop

You're already playing it on PC?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Guys, this LOTR of the rings game is legit entertaining. I'm slow mo hacking dudes, there's a sweet skilll tree, and the loot makes looking through every nook and cranny worth it. Whenever you get a chance, get it. Don't pass it up.
War in the North
is fun treat, and
the coop

Yeah, game was surprisingly fun.

Yes, I do =p
Sometimes we need to do other things to refresh the mind!
(Also I've been doing a lot of translation work, so I unwind with some gaming =p)
And no, I'm not a curator.
I... have no faith in the system as it's currently set up to be, to be honest.
Ah, so you do know multiple languages? Cool. Do you do programming/art as well?

If you don't trust in the curator system, then trust in me! You know of many lesser known good titles. And even though you think no one reads your posts, I do like your ramblings about them; positive and negative. So, just do it, please.
---
Just watched PCG's Mordor video with all settings at ultra and videogamers 30min video. While still being youtube, textures didn't overwhelm me. Looks still good though.
Movement is so similar to asscreed, wow. But the combat looks like batman with swords. All the screen popups with combos, xp-points gained and whatnot distract though. The world is very empty and everything looks so much the same. All the movement abilities would shine in dense cities much more. Always rock-climbing and broken walls. But I guess it'll be a nice game for LotR fans.

Anyway, night guys.

zkylon

zkylewd
has anyone played prison architect

i wasn't too amused by that nuclear holocaust game thing (i thought it was pretty morbid in a way i didn't really enjoy) from those guys and this seems like a bit of that but it's been in early access forever (or is it out now?) and you know, i fucking love theme hospital so i would really go for something like that again

it's really sad that afaik the genre's pretty dead. i used to love those games when i was a kid

Turfster

Ah, so you do know multiple languages? Cool. Do you do programming/art as well?

If you don't trust in the curator system, then trust in me! You know of many lesser known good titles. And even though you think no one reads your posts, I do like your ramblings about them; positive and negative. So, just do it, please.

My art is the bestest art ever!
(I am shit at arting, all I do is programmer art which is just... no)

I'll try to do some more ramblings.
Looking at my play time is a good indicator, though.
(If it's a game with cards, check how many chievos I have and if the time is longer than it needs for all cards to drop ;)

has anyone played prison architect

i wasn't too amused by that nuclear holocaust game thing (i thought it was pretty morbid in a way i didn't really enjoy) from those guys and this seems like a bit of that but it's been in early access forever (or is it out now?) and you know, i fucking love theme hospital so i would really go for something like that again

it's really sad that afaik the genre's pretty dead. i used to love those games when i was a kid

I have.
It's... more involved than what I remember from theme hospital.
You need to really build up everything at the moment, you start with a wasteland and need to build a prison and all the sections you need, hire everyone you need and buy all the equipment.... and prisoners are delivered to you at set times.
I totally forgot to build like half the shit you need the first few times, like a kitchen and a place to eat and other things like that, so it didn't go all that well =p
It's still in Early Access, and it released a new update this week iirc.

Guys.

Help me win a bet with another GAF.

Does a pre-announced Season Pass count as pre-order or after launch DLC?

Your answer could save me $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom