• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vuze

So... yeah. (Obviously it was a display bug, Fraps shows locked 60 as it was supposed to be)
i6akUxTpffsIS.png

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
260kfps? that's next gen as fuck.

Well, the human eye can't really process anything above 30 FPS so you probably don't even see it.

Also, and this might be slightly offtopic, am I the only one getting ads for some korean online game that just stole Dragonball characters?
Just asking.

But can it run Crysis?

God, we really need a new benchmark game for the PC.

Judging from the threads, Shadow of Mordor may just be that game /s

Isn't Ryse basically just a benchmark tool? SoM doesn't look THAT great, does it?

Well, the human eye can't really process anything above 30 FPS so you probably don't even see it.

Also, and this might be slightly offtopic, am I the only one getting ads for some korean online game that just stole Dragonball characters?
Just asking.

Isn't Ryse basically just a benchmark tool? SoM doesn't look THAT great, does it?

Yeah, that SoM comment was mostly just an attempt at a joke on my part.

Ryse really is looking up to be the new Crysis, in terms of hardware requirements, but hey, you never know, it may actually be well-optimized.

Lomax

Steam changing its store isn't going to suddenly change how much money people have to spend. All heavy users know the major sales are only 2 months away and casual users don't generally buy random indie games. Increased page views has value to all games that are actually good in the long term one way or another so if this update serves only that function then it is beneficial to developers.

jblank83

This game looks so much like Dredmor, I find it hard to believe it's not by the same dev.

All real roguelikes look alike. They all look like Rogue.

The spritework in Crypt of the NecroDancer is nice, more pixel than Dredmor. The gameplay is also very unique, as far as Roguelikes go.

Just played a 20 minutes of it and liked it very much. Was worried I wouldn't but it delivers on its concept and has good replayability.

Steam changing its store isn't going to suddenly change how much money people have to spend. All heavy users know the major sales are only 2 months away and casual users don't generally buy random indie games.

The only thing it's changed is how much I look at the front page. It's a damn mess.

Braag

I'm not a fan of the Vsync implementation in both Far Cry 3 or Watch Dogs and even more so Black Flag. D3DOverider sorts Black Flag and Far Cry 3 out by forcing triple buffering but due to Watch Dogs being a 64bit application it doesn't work with that. Though thankfully there is a borderless windowed display option so combining that with capping the framerate with RivaTuner Statisitcs Server (a core part of MSI Afterburner) at your desired limit works like a peach.

huh, I gotta try that out cause all the tearing is starting to make my eyes bleed.

Edit: Holy shit it actually worked, no more tearing and it doesn't kill my fps. Thanks man!

jblank83

Looks like I'll finally pick it up. I love Roguelikes but not sure about the beat to the music game play.

It's definitely an adjustment. There's nothing as complex as Theatrhythm or Guitar Hero, though. It's always a very simple timing. The entire ground lights up in a checkerboard pattern as well, also helping you with the timing.

However, you can change characters to "Bard". When you do that, you no longer have a beat counter and the game plays like a traditional Rogue clone.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Did anyone here back Republique on Kickstarter? If so, would you mind screenshotting the most recent backers-only update and sending it to me? If you feel gross about that, then could you just let me know what the status is of Episode 3 and/or PC/Mac stuff?

Parsnip

Did anyone here back Republique on Kickstarter? If so, would you mind screenshotting the most recent backers-only update and sending it to me? If you feel gross about that, then could you just let me know what the status is of Episode 3 and/or PC/Mac stuff?

Sure.
edit: Done.

It could be that Sekai Project might work together with Eushully.
Huh, I still don't know about all these eroge devs using sex to promote miniature strategy games. These screens remind me of late Kogado products, like Geotail and Gadget Trial, which are similar in scope and quality of polish. Definitely would get the all-ages releases on Steam, if not GOG.

FloatOn

I haven't played a match 3 in forever. I bought bejeweled 3 because it's 5 dollars.

It's crack pretty much. Feels pretty good to just turn off your brain and match colors like an idiot.

edit: Also I've resolved to purchase Pier Solar on tuesday. I'm pretty excited about it.

See EviLore's post here. You can opt out.
Huh, that's good to know. Thanks.
---
So I just put in a shift doing the first mission in the Watch Dogs Bad Blood DLC and out of curiosity I though I'd check how things were running seeing as it's a big update and bar the first patch performance has improved...
Yeah that's pretty rock solid and was from indoor, outdoor and driving footage at most settings turn up to how I had it at launch with only texture brought down to high.
For comparisons sake here's what I was getting just walking and driving around the starting area a launch (no vsync mind) and absolute minimum settings as well.
Yeah so I can safely say Watch Dogs runs way, way better than it ever has. Might just be the DLC playing smooth but it's the same map as the base game and the same locations so might be worth having a playaround, especially new 970 owners here.
I am not that versed in the technicality behind the figures but do I read this right that the game at release - locked at 60fps - did also have stable framerate? Only the frametimes are much more stable post-patch and fluctuating pre. I don't know how this manifests in the game though? I thought framerate and frametime are directly connected so this leaves me asking for more details, please?!

jblank83

I haven't played a match 3 in forever. I bought bejeweled 3 because it's 5 dollars.

It's crack pretty much. Feels pretty good to just turn off your brain and match colors like an idiot.

Bejeweled is the original match 3. It's good stuff, the colors and sounds. I agree: good mindless fun.

As far as non-traditional match games, I highly recommend Might and Magic Clash of Heroes.

Lomax

edit: Also I've resolved to purchase Pier Solar on tuesday. I'm pretty excited about it.

The android puzzle quest style games like Doctor Who Legacy are great, but just plain bejeweled I can't stand because it quickly becomes obvious that it's all just random luck.

FloatOn

It's free on Origin, why would you pay 5 bucks for it?

I dislike Origin because reasons. Also I'm a baller with 5 dollars to spare.

Bejeweled is the original match 3. It's good stuff, the colors and sounds. I agree: good mindless fun.

As far as non-traditional match games, I highly recommend Might and Magic Clash of Heroes.

I love Clash of Heroes sooo much. I played it quite a bit on 360 but have only logged an hour or so on steam. I should fix that soon.

jblank83

The android puzzle quest style games like Doctor Who Legacy are great, but just plain bejeweled I can't stand because it quickly becomes obvious that it's all just random luck.

I'd rather it be simple and to the point rather than try to hide it under layers of bull. I bought some scifi match 3 game with an overworld map and missions and whatnot. It quickly became tedious. Better just to load up simple Bejeweled and go bling bling bling splurt for awhile, then be done with it.

Not that a complex match game can't be good. Might and Magic Clash of Heroes is insanely good.

Tellaerin

I'd rather it be simple and to the point rather than try to hide it under layers of bull. I bought some scifi match 3 game with an overworld map and missions and whatnot. It quickly became tedious. Better just to load up simple Bejeweled and go bling bling bling splurt for awhile, then be done with it.

Not that a complex match game can't be good. Might and Magic Clash of Heroes is insanely good.

Just to get a better read on your preferences, what do you think of Puzzle Quest?

Arthea

On the point of bejeweled 3 being purely luck based, that's not true, actually. All match 3 games are partly luck based, partly skill, b3 isn't any exception, especially if we include all modes, not classic alone, as classic is more luck based than others.

Arthea

My eyes can only handle 5 FPS.

I'm not sure my eyes
and ears
can handle even that much in certain games, like for example erotic super joy, btw anybody wants 90% coupon for Groove City still, these seems to be popular and I have one.

edited: hey, it's true, I got Give back bundle free, is it full bundle as in includes all bonuses?

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm playing more of X-Com: Terror From the Deep. I don't know why, but it still hasn't clicked with me yet like UFO Defense did.

30 and 60 fps both look the same. I've seen enough Youtube comparisons to understand even this.

The only way to truly compare 30 and 60 fps is through gifs though, everyone knows this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom