• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

The Treasures of Montezuma 4 is also a pretty good Match 3 game

http://store.steampowered.com/app/301150/

And speaking of Puzzle Quest and the like, there is a nice looking game on Kickstarter that looks like a mix between Puzzle Quest and Dungeon Raid meets Victorian steampunk mechs!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/002/451/862/0e8bf11fe608a33fdf785da06a0022b6_large.jpg[/IMG

Ironcast

[URL="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/526832900/ironcast-turn-based-steampunk-mech-combat"]https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/526832900/ironcast-turn-based-steampunk-mech-combat[/URL]

I backed it, seems like it's going to be a good game[/QUOTE]
While I wholeheartily agree about Puzzle Quest being awesome and must play game, I find The Treasures of Montezuma 4 borderline unplayable, it is way too flashy, hard on eyes and even interferes with decision making, as far as I noticed skill matters not except several challenges an modes, it runs badly for some reason and overall is one of worst match 3 games I played.

[quote="Turfster, post: 131902187"]The groupees giveback bundle is now live.
115380 bundles delivered.
That's cheating, guys =p[/QUOTE]

I'm OK with such cheating, though
you not gonna complain to them, are you? (><)

Turfster

So I'm playing more of X-Com: Terror From the Deep. I don't know why, but it still hasn't clicked with me yet like UFO Defense did.

TFTD was kinda... weird, even at release.
It was a lot harder for no visible reason, and the whole sea motif didn't really work for us.

I'm OK with such cheating, though
you not gonna complain to them, are you? (><)

Nope.
They also lowered the bonus amount from half a mil to 125k ;)

Tenrius

I think I might start my very own Steam Curator thing, so I could bring my niche taste™ to the people! I think at least some people would be excited to discover games like Magical Diary, Leviathan and The Last Express.

Lomax

On the point of bejeweled 3 being purely luck based, that's not true, actually. All match 3 games are partly luck based, partly skill, b3 isn't any exception, especially if we include all modes, not classic alone, as classic is more luck based than others.

The puzzle modes aren't luck, but the endless/classic mode is. Considering that there's a mode where you can play forever it just makes it all the more obvious. It's not like you can strategize the colors that fall randomly. I agree the gameplay overall is enjoyable, which is why I prefer the Puzzle Quest style of having finite goals. Not that Puzzle Quest doesn't cheat plenty as well.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I find I notice framerates a lot less when I'm playing my console on my comfy couch.

On the PC, I'm usually so scrunched up and in pain I become hyper-aware, noticing my every breath and blink, feeling each individual hair on my arm crash back and forth against the air, and hearing my heart pound against my chest as it struggles with every drop of blood it pushes.

That's why I usually play on consoles. I just want to relax and have fun.

fantomena

Based trading cards and IdleMaster.

IYAje05.png

xBladeM6x

I find I notice framerates a lot less when I'm playing my console on my comfy couch.

On the PC, I'm usually so scrunched up and in pain I become hyper-aware, noticing my every breath and blink, feeling each individual hair on my arm crash back and forth against the air, and hearing my heart pound against my chest as it struggles with every drop of blood it pushes.

It's pretty much to do with how far you are away from your TV when playing console, and because typically console games are locked to a particular FPS, so fluctuations are intentionally made to be small.

Turfster

I think I might start my very own Steam Curator thing, so I could bring my niche taste™ to the people! I think at least some people would be excited to discover games like Magical Diary, Leviathan and The Last Express.

I played and liked 2 of those ;)

I'm still on the fence about doing my own Curator thing.

L.O.R.D

so, i decide to play Dead Rising 2 until they fix DR3
the first thing i noticed is i can't use my wireless Xbox 360 controller
searched google for an answer and fond a way
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17104291&postcount=11

the frame rate is pretty good , but some area it drops to 20
why capcom hired those guy to make this game ?
now i know why DR3 is really a bad port

second , who to run in this game ? i feel its very boring if i can't run faster

Dr Dogg

I am not that versed in the technicality behind the figures but do I read this right that the game at release - locked at 60fps - did also have stable framerate? Only the frametimes are much more stable post-patch and fluctuating pre. I don't know how this manifests in the game though? I thought framerate and frametime are directly connected so this leaves me asking for more details, please?!

From what I can deduce it was an asset exchange issue with the engine and it couldn't handle the larger textures at launch. While it's still a little screwy from me with Ultra Textures and they are still off the cards, just changing textures to High and leaving the resolution as stupidly high like I do it's miles smoother than it was at launch.

Basically I'll briefly describe this and hopefully without making a tit of myself. Even though 60fps looks all good and well that doesn't tell the whole story as a smooth delivery would be 60 frames delivered at 16 milliseconds each over 1 second. But if you get a choppy update that delivers 30 frames at 8ms and the other 30 at 33ms you would still get a reported framerate of 60fps despite it being uneven.

Does that make sense? That's why looking just at framerate isn't really a good idea to problem solve (or benchmark even as lots of sites still do). In fact Afterburner stats aren't all that good either due to how they are collected. There's a great article about frametiming and how it's better for analysis over at PC Perspective and how they use a system developed by Nvidia (well in most part I think) called FCAT. I'll dig you out a link and edit it in.

Edit: Here you go. Hopefully it's not as screwy as the last one.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-Dissected-Full-Details-Capture-based-Graphics-Performance-Testin

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
so, i decide to play Dead Rising 2 until they fix DR3
the first thing i noticed is i can't use my wireless Xbox 360 controller
searched google for an answer and fond a way
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17104291&postcount=11

the frame rate is pretty good , but some area it drops to 20
why capcom hired those guy to make this game ?
now i know why DR3 is really a bad port

second , who to run in this game ? i feel its very boring if i can't run faster

what are your specs?
dr2 run good for most decent spec pc
my pc decent and get good frames

Lomax

I'm sure there's sarcasm here, but that is a factor people tend to ignore, there's a huge difference between being one foot from the screen and ten feet. I easily notice the difference between 720 and 1080 on my computer screen but on a TV I can't hardly tell at all.

Arthea

The puzzle modes aren't luck, but the endless/classic mode is. Considering that there's a mode where you can play forever it just makes it all the more obvious. It's not like you can strategize the colors that fall randomly. I agree the gameplay overall is enjoyable, which is why I prefer the Puzzle Quest style of having finite goals. Not that Puzzle Quest doesn't cheat plenty as well.

but you see, that's misconception if I've ever seen one. you can play classic mode mindlessly, that's true, but also you can play it in a way of making combos, preparing better next moves and trying to get two cubes to clear all board in one click. I doubt very much that you can pull that on luck alone, well, maybe you can if you play long enough and are really lucky, but if you work to that end, meaning plan ahead and strategize, you can pull awesome moves with fair regularity.
I can't say I know other game besides 100% Orange Juice that is purely bad luck based. (><) And even that is only partly true.

Teppic

You really can't find it? I mean it doesn't exactly stand out, but it's not really hidden either.

Highlighted it in red for you.
I found it. Didn't know it was on the frontpage of the store, I thought it was in the new release section. Thanks!

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Finished Ethan Carter a couple of hours ago. Finished it twice. I liked it that much. Also making a video.

Awesome game.

It's not exactly what I hoped it would be (I didn't really follow the game though) but it's still pretty cool. Also it just looks amazing.

Dr Dogg

I feel like I've walked into an episode of The Twilight Zone and everyone is speaking in gibberish or something.

Probably all my fault for bringing up Watch Dogs' performance.

Kanokare

So I'm playing more of X-Com: Terror From the Deep. I don't know why, but it still hasn't clicked with me yet like UFO Defense did.

The only way to truly compare 30 and 60 fps is through gifs though, everyone knows this.

Oh yeah I heard about doing that. Well, time to go play some CS:GO... on a controller.

Grief.exe

laptop msi ge60
i7 3730mq
GTX 660m 2GB DDR5
8 GB Ram

most the time it run good
but sometimes i notice a huge frame droop

Is your laptop actually engaging the GPU for the game? Or is it using HD4000 graphics from your processor?

Seems like a common issue with laptop configurations.

Arthea

Ugh.
Borealis is not for me.
Zen relaxation my ass.
It also doesn't like trackballs.

Spooky.

but but but how can zen relaxation be not for anyone? It's zen relaxation for reason!
so, it's not really relaxing, you say?

I feel like I've walked into an episode of The Twilight Zone and everyone is speaking in gibberish or something.

Probably all my fault for bringing up Watch Dogs' performance.

we are totally doing it on purpose, you watch doggie ;)

L.O.R.D

Is your laptop actually engaging the GPU for the game? Or is it using HD4000 graphics from your processor?

Seems like a common issue with laptop configurations.

i run the game using nvidia , it automatically chose Nvidia this time
in DR3 , it automatically chose intel

i think i opened too much programs in the background

Vuze

Holy damn. Vanishing of Ethan Carter looks and feels better than I anticipated. Gotta see it for yourself in motion, screenshots really do no justice about how alive the environment feels. Speaking of which - my Steam Cloud refuses to upload screenshots for about 20mins now. Anyone else got problems?

Really enjoyed the one hour I've put into it so far, got that Murdered Soul Suspect vibe minus the whole collectible craze while leaving you in a great open world.

Holy damn. Vanishing of Ethan Carter looks and feels better than I anticipated. Gotta see it for yourself in motion, screenshots really do no justice about how alive the environment feels. Speaking of which - my Steam Cloud refuses to upload screenshots for about 20mins now. Anyone else got problems?

Really enjoyed the one hour I've put into it so far, got that Murdered Soul Suspect vibe minus the whole collectible craze while leaving you in a great open world.

I was really hoping that it would have a Murdered: SS vibe, as I really enjoyed that game. Perhaps I'll use VoEC as a "palette cleanser" after my extended time in Columbia and Rapture this week.

this is the first i've heard of this

It's like I don't even fucking know you anymore...

Ugh.
Borealis is not for me.
Zen relaxation my ass.
It also doesn't like trackballs.

Spooky.

Nobody in their right mind likes trackballs.

What are you guys' thoughts on the DR3 port? Is the performance bad enough that I should avoid it? And if not, as someone who didnt really like the first one (mostly due to the controls), is it different enough that I'd like it?
Port is bad, game is bad. Controls have some streamlining in place, but DR3 retains the sense of weight from the old games for the most part.

All of this DR3 talk makes me desperately want DR1 on Steam.

That game was just pure fun. I can see how it would be polarizing due to the way it is set up. In a way, the game is designed so you lose and start over.
You have no idea what I'd give to have a real Dead Rising on Steam.

2's still good though, in all fairness.

I really need to buy that, I'm totally ashamed every time it gets mentioned that I still haven't played it.

this is the first i've heard of this
Further motivation to take the plunge.

Annubis

Just saw I had this unclaimed on my groupee. If anyone wants it, feel free to claim.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

ulgzbKC.png
99 Spirits (Desura) -- MB-5CB90C525EA5B58A - Taken by autoduelist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom