• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just pre-ordered Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition on GMG. The PC version is $30 and with the 10% off they were selling it for already + the 25% off code it's only $20.25. I had it pre-ordered for PS4 at Amazon but I think $20 is a lot better than $60 + shipping.

fernandes

It's not a miracle system that will double the sales for everyone. I've seen a lot of my friends adding a bunch of stuff to their wishlists right after the update so that will probably translate to more sales during the upcoming big sales or even the regular dailies/weeklies/weekends/midweeks/etc. Most people wait for a sale to buy a lot of games.

Just pre-ordered Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition on GMG. The PC version is $30 and with the 10% off they were selling it for already + the 25% off code it's only $20.25. I had it pre-ordered for PS4 at Amazon but I think $20 is a lot better than $60 + shipping.

I still wonder what the purpose of this Edition is...

Judging from the trailers it looks exactly the same as the old PC-Version.

pEZiAxK.png

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Many devs told us that they're very happy they aren't in the position where they have to launch a game on Steam now. As has been noted before, the Steam front page no longer offers "New Releases," but instead shows "Popular New Releases" as default.

"I'm glad we launched before the change," says McDroid and Victory at Sea dev Fraser McCormick. "I think the visibility for just released games that aren't already selling well was slightly better before."

"The 'Popular New Releases' tab being default over the 'Top Selling' could potentially be an improvement," he reasons, "but I'm not sure how well you need to already be doing to get on there. Depending on how much, it could be an overall plus to a well organised indie, but a serious problem if you just drop your game on Steam."

Of course, this means that for anyone launching a game on Steam now, it's even more important to be talking to the press and YouTubers about your game before launch, since if you don't hit that "Popular New Releases" tab at launch, you may well have a problem.

Called it.

Is Crypt of the Necrodancer a complete game or is it still changing a lot? I want to play it but always am hesitant of early access.

It's pretty feature complete, but I think it only has the one dungeon, with the final game to have more. I paid around that in keys and I thought it was worth it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So what we are learning is that Valve still won't do all your marketing for your game and that you still have to do something yourself? crazy.

I still wonder what the purpose of this Edition is...

Judging from the trailers it looks exactly the same as the old PC-Version.

For PS4/XB1 it's the first time on those systems so that is the purpose there. For PC I think it's basically just a way of getting the whole package at once instead of individually. Probably why the PC version is just $30 compared to the $60 for next-gen buyers. Considering I didn't have the PC version yet I think $20 that I got it for is more than fair.

I wonder if they didnt add a "New releases" and "Popular new releases" tab.

And when will Valve change the design of all the other parts of the client? It looks really strange when the storefront has the new design and all the other parts still have the old one.

So what we are learning is that Valve still won't do all your marketing for your game and that you still have to do something yourself? crazy.

It seems more that the curators are doing the job now and that might be a problem in the future.
Especially if a small indie-dev might not have the means to promote their game to a lot of people. We already see this on Kickstarter. A lot of devs dont really have the means to promote their Kickstarter, even though they have enough content to show. And then you see a KS, that just has a "big name" on their team, but nothing more to show than some art and just because of the name it gets recognition.

Deitus

I there really no way to view new releases? I want to keep track on new F2P games for playfire rewards.

You can. At the bottom of the "Popular New Releases" pane, there is a button to click to see all new releases. But it takes you to a separate page to view them. There is no way to see all new releases on the home page.

MUnited83

For you.
Damn, I had high hopes the new store would increase sales. I don't like the redesign, but if it had the effect of making devs more money I would have been happy anyway.
I hope someone at Valve noticed the Gamasutra article.
Its increasing average page views, group follows and inclusion on wishlists. Overall yes, its increasing sales. Problem is with games that have no hype or word of mouth that thus do not appear on the popular new releases tab.

Teppic

You can. At the bottom of the "Popular New Releases" pane, there is a button to click to see all new releases. But it takes you to a separate page to view them. There is no way to see all new releases on the home page.
I've heard people saying this before, but I can't find it.

Kifimbo

The real problem was never discoverability. People have a limited amount of money and leisure time. This can only increase by adding new users. It did, but the number of games released in the last 16 months increase much faster.

MattyG

Banned
Ugh, I was going to buy SoM and Alien from the B/S/T thread today, but I tried to link my bank account to Paypal and it's going to take 2-3 days to verify. Hopefully the sellers stil have those games by the time it's verified. And if not, do you guys think GMG will do another 25% off deal? Didn't they just do two in a row?

Just a quick thought.

Could it be that Valve might think that the popular curators might "choose" the greenlit games in the future when the two storefronts will be released?
I still wonder how it will work and thought that maybe if a popular curator curates a good game from "Storefront 2" and it gets enough siteviews/sales, it can move to the official "Storefront 1".

It's pretty feature complete, but I think it only has the one dungeon, with the final game to have more. I paid around that in keys and I thought it was worth it.

Likewise. They are also adding new items and have more characters to include, but it feels like a complete - and just as importantly, satisfying and fun - game already. The difficulty seems (so far) well-judged and you gradually unlock new items, hearts and spells. There are some other nice features too: apart from the daily challenge a la Spelunky, you can watch replays from the leaderboards (obviously restricted until you've played, in the case of the daily challenge - no peeking!). It really is worth picking up.

yuraya

The real problem was never discoverability. People have a limited amount of money and leisure time. This can only increase by adding new users. It did, but the number of games released in the last 16 months increase much faster.

1300 games added in just the past 9 months is crazy. Nobody has time for all that.
Except JaseC ofc :p

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
You know what would be great, Valve?
If screenshots you upload stay in the same order they were taken in.
Just saying.

I'd rather they would allow you to rearrange the order yourself. That's why I sometimes put numbers before some captions to show what order the screenshots should be looked at to understand what's happening.

Its increasing average page views, group follows and inclusion on wishlists. Overall yes, its increasing sales. Problem is with games that have no hype or word of mouth that thus do not appear on the popular new releases tab.

Ehh, not really, according to that article, at least. Actually, that's the complete opposite of what the article says.

Sales of Halfway have actually dropped lower this week than the daily average he's been seeing to date. Of course, this could just be normal fluctuation, but it certainly doesn't suggest that the new update is having a positive effect on his sales.

Many more developers told us a similar story. Strategy game Victory at Sea saw traffic to its Steam store page doubled at the start of the week, yet this has no noticeable impact on sales. Derek Paxton from Stardock told us that sales look unchanged as of yet.

"The change is good to games that've already cemented themselves as the gold standards of the indie world, and little to no effect on others."

Meanwhile, Shawn Beck's Velocibox barely even noticed the update. "The change hasn't affected Velocibox in anyway," he tells me, adding that, "the change is good to games that've already cemented themselves as the gold standards of the indie world and little to no effect on others."

Same story for music game Sentris, and survival game Rebuild 3. Elsewhere, Cannon Brawl saw no noticeable increase in traffic or sales from the update, while Deep Under the Sky saw a spike of around 400 pageviews to its Steam store page, but these were not converted into increased sales.

A couple of developers told us that they did see a very slight increase in sales. Back to Bed dev Klaus Pedersen, for example, says that sales were up "a tiny bit," although he noted this may well have been down to standard fluctuation rather than the new discovery tools.

And Mini Metro developer Peter Curry told me that his sales doubled from $886 to $1,619 on the day of the update, although they fell again in the days that followed. "A definite spike albeit a small one, and it looks like it'll level back off again," he says.

In general, then, the vast majority said there was no change -- or negative change. Heist game The Masterplan, for example, saw its sales "flatlined after the changes."

Dr Dogg

So I just put in a shift doing the first mission in the Watch Dogs Bad Blood DLC and out of curiosity I though I'd check how things were running seeing as it's a big update and bar the first patch performance has improved...

Yeah that's pretty rock solid and was from indoor, outdoor and driving footage at most settings turn up to how I had it at launch with only texture brought down to high.

For comparisons sake here's what I was getting just walking and driving around the starting area a launch (no vsync mind) and absolute minimum settings as well.
Max - Unlocked framerate (at release)
yNYOTz7.png

Minimum - 62fps lock (at release)
PUbyTuD.png

Yeah so I can safely say Watch Dogs runs way, way better than it ever has. Might just be the DLC playing smooth but it's the same map as the base game and the same locations so might be worth having a playaround, especially new 970 owners here.

So can someone explain what Playfire is? I just signed up and got $0.50 for linking my Steam account? It seems like they give me money for getting achievements?

Yep. I have 80 games on my Steam wishlist. I haven't bought any DLC from Steam in a month and a half, nor have I bought a game directly through Steam since the Summer Sale.

So can someone explain what Playfire is? I just signed up and got $0.50 for linking my Steam account? It seems like they give me money for getting achievements?

Yeah. You can see what games give you rewards and if you get an achievement you can get money.

Got about 16€ and bought Remember Me and Crimzon Clover yesterday because of that.

Yeah. You can see what games give you rewards and if you get an achievement you can get money.

Got about 16€ and bought Remember Me and Crimzon Clover yesterday because of that.

That's amazing! Why? And why haven't I heard about this? I guess I've been living under a rock.

Welp, time to install Sanctum and actually play it so I can get money.

Chariot

That's amazing! Why? And why haven't I heard about this? I guess I've been living under a rock.

Welp, time to install Sanctum and actually play it so I can get money.
Yeah, that's the downside of Playfire, you actually have to PLAY your bought games. Disgusting.

Nabs

Canyon Capers is one of the worst games I've played. At least the achievements are incredibly easy to pull off.

Braag

So I just put in a shift doing the first mission in the Watch Dogs Bad Blood DLC and out of curiosity I though I'd check how things were running seeing as it's a big update and bar the first patch performance has improved...

Yeah that's pretty rock solid and was from indoor, outdoor and driving footage at most settings turn up to how I had it at launch with only texture brought down to high.

For comparisons sake here's what I was getting just walking and driving around the starting area a launch (no vsync mind) and absolute minimum settings as well.

Yeah so I can safely say Watch Dogs runs way, way better than it ever has. Might just be the DLC playing smooth but it's the same map as the base game and the same locations so might be worth having a playaround, especially new 970 owners here.

I have noticed the improvement in the performance as well, much smoother than at launch.
Vsync still cuts my frames in half though which sucks cause the game has quite a bit of screen tearing. Then again that seems to be the case with every Ubisoft game, lots of screen tearing and Vsync kills your performance.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I suspect they will optimize the discovery queue mechanisms by tweaking the aggregate user score mechanism, which currently is a Bayesian weighted mean (IE a mean which takes into account both the user reviews + the number of user reviews, to allow it to measure "certainty") and gives a little too much weight to certainty (IE something with 100 user reviews that are 95% positive ranks significantly below something with say 350 user reviews that are 80% positive, and although certainty is a useful measure I'm not convinced it's that useful).

The games included in that article all generally have very low user rankings, most by virtue of the fact that they have few overall reviews (but some just aren't well liked) and so I think it may have been useful to try to source data from the groups of people most likely to benefit--games with high user rankings to begin with.

Dr Dogg

I have noticed the improvement in the performance as well, much smoother than at launch.
Vsync still cuts my frames in half though which sucks cause the game has quite a bit of screen tearing. Then again that seems to be the case with every Ubisoft game, lots of screen tearing and Vsync kills your performance.

I'm not a fan of the Vsync implementation in both Far Cry 3 or Watch Dogs and even more so Black Flag. D3DOverider sorts Black Flag and Far Cry 3 out by forcing triple buffering but due to Watch Dogs being a 64bit application it doesn't work with that. Though thankfully there is a borderless windowed display option so combining that with capping the framerate with RivaTuner Statisitcs Server (a core part of MSI Afterburner) at your desired limit works like a peach.

Grief.exe

15370755052_933288a275_o.png

That's a drastic change. Is that due to your update in card, or has Ubisoft optimized the game well enough?

Dr Dogg

That's a drastic change. Is that due to your update in card, or has Ubisoft optimized the game well enough?

I haven't changed any hardware at all that's all down to Nvidia driver updates and Ubisoft delivering some updates. Looks like it could have done with more time in the oven but after the inital delay that was never, ever going to happen. But hey folks are still going to call Watch Dogs a "shit port" for donkeys years and while Ultra Textures are still a no go for me who knows how they'll play with future hardware iterations.

derExperte

I've been saying that W_D runs good now since I played through it in August with my old 660 but yep, (almost) no one is listening.

Vuze

Good to know they seem to have fixed the most major issues, will pick up the Steam version on sale then.

Aaaand yet another Ethan Carter patch just hit as I wanted to start playing it. Atleast I don't have to redownload the whole game again like with Update 1.

fallout

Regardless of what change the new storefront has or doesn't have, it's pretty clear that there's a mountain of data for Valve to use to inform future decisions. This is seemingly how they've always operated and it's worked for them so far.

As a consumer, nothing has really changed for me. This could be a big challenge for them, but it's also entirely possible that consumers like myself just don't matter all that much.

So maybe I'm stupid but I can't seem to find how to add someone to family sharing?
I see the menu option but I can't seems to find the option to add someone.

Please help :O

jediyoshi

As a consumer, nothing has really changed for me. This could be a big challenge for them, but it's also entirely possible that consumers like myself just don't matter all that much.

By virtue of already having an idea of things to buy and not needing the front page listings to look at whatsoever, that's a pretty straightforward assertion. In terms of future proofing their store for when greenlight goes away and something like a general new releases section would turn completely useless, outsourcing a majority of the curation was inevitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom