• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozium

all this emphasis on social activity and we still can't see everyone who likes our shit in the feed

MQvtT50.jpg

Lomax

but you see, that's misconception if I've ever seen one. you can play classic mode mindlessly, that's true, but also you can play it in a way of making combos, preparing better next moves and trying to get two cubes to clear all board in one click. I doubt very much that you can pull that on luck alone, well, maybe you can if you play long enough and are really lucky, but if you work to that end, meaning plan ahead and strategize, you can pull awesome moves with fair regularity.
I can't say I know other game besides 100% Orange Juice that is purely bad luck based. (><) And even that is only partly true.

It isn't that winning or scoring high is luck, it's that losing is luck. If the wrong combination of stuff falls a few turns in a row, you will lose. There's only so much strategizing you can do, and very little you can do to prevent it. The flip side being, you can play endless mode and never lose, it's designed that way. Neither is very appealing long term, though it's certainly compelling enough for a bit here and there. I also find it hard now to go back to the single swap system having been playing the timed style of Doctor Who Legacy (and Puzzles and Dragons) for too long now.

Playing Nosgoth. Game is pretty fun.

I liked the mechanics of it when I went through the tutorial, but being multiplayer competitive only meant it was worthless to me. Maybe if it is bizarrely successful we'll get a single player game based on it eventually.

Miguel81

It's been forever since Radeonpro has been updated. 64-bit support is not properly implemented and a lot of the upcoming games will require me to tick in-game vsync. *shudders*

fallout

I downloaded it once. Never played it. Got download updates like every day. Uninstalled it. Doubtful I'll ever try again.
I don't really care if you play it or not, but it certainly doesn't update like once a day. More like once a week. Also, you can turn off automatic updates.

Qurupeke

Hello everyone. I finally managed to buy a new PC that's really great for gaming, after about 15 years. I\m really happy about it as I could only play PC games on a non gaming laptop.

First of all, I'd really appreciate if someone could invite me to the NeoGAF group. The name is Qurupeke. Secondly, I plan to play Marvel Heroes and maybe TF2.

Finally, I'd like to know how often games are on sale. I want stuff like Dark Souls and Skyrim but they're not exactly cheap right now. Also, should I get all the Valve stuff? (Portal 1/2 and Half Life basically)

Thanks in advance!

MattyG

Banned
Hello everyone. I finally managed to buy a new PC that's really great for gaming, after about 15 years. I\m really happy about it as I could only play PC games on a non gaming laptop.

First of all, I'd really appreciate if someone could invite me to the NeoGAF group. The name is Qurupeke. Secondly, I plan to play Marvel Heroes and maybe TF2.

Finally, I'd like to know how often games are on sale. I want stuff like Dark Souls and Skyrim but they're not exactly cheap right now. Also, should I get all the Valve stuff? (Portal 1/2 and Half Life basically)

Thanks in advance!
Yes, you should get all the Valve stuff, and you can right now for 75% off.

And if you have Paypal you can get Skyrim Legendary edition from this guy for about $20.

I don't really care if you play it or not, but it certainly doesn't update like once a day. More like once a week. Also, you can turn off automatic updates.

It did before I uninstalled it, that's for sure. And even if you can turn off automatic updates, that just means that when you're actually in the mood to play it you have to download the updates all at once.

kiyomi

Thanks in advance!

I've sent you a friend request, I'll give you a little something. :)

Ozium

I wish I could follow games via the library page... I want to follow all the EA games I have for updates... volvo pls

onionfrog

Hello everyone. I finally managed to buy a new PC that's really great for gaming, after about 15 years. Im really happy about it as I could only play PC games on a non gaming laptop.

Thanks in advance!
Unless you're going to play a game right away, you should wait for them to go on sale.

Both Dark Souls games and Skyrim will almost certainly be on sale in a few months during the Steam Winter Sale.

Buy the valve games if you want them. They're 75% off right now.

What is the NeoGAF group that I have seen people mention on here? Is it a Steam group or something? I've only very recently started looking in this thread so I have no idea.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks in advance!

I think you'll get along well with Rhaknar :p

What is the NeoGAF group that I have seen people mention on here? Is it a Steam group or something? I've only very recently started looking in this thread so I have no idea.

It's a steam group, yeah. Just post a link to your profile page and someone that's already in the group will invite you almost instantly.

Eternia

Thanks in advance!
If history is right again, there should be a sizable sale in mid-November and a large sale during the holidays (late December). Skyrim is almost guaranteed to show up by then as it gets discounted quite often. This doesn't include all the third party sites like Amazon, Greenmangaming, Humble Store and many others who have their own sales. Or enter the world of regional trading as BernardoOne has pointed out if you want it now, that's still a good price.

Portal is also great, you should definitely get those if you haven't played them!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hey Stump, can we get a risk assessment on this one?

I'd say medium-high.

Low risk elements:
- Game seems at or past vertical slice stage and it seems like there's some measure of combat depth and stuff, so it feels like there is a game that exists.
- They're only asking for a few months to complete it and time horizon projections tend to be better the closer they are (like, it's more likely that you can tell me if you can finish something by next week, versus being able to ballpark a two year long project, right?)
- All three of the team members seem to have past industry experience, although Daniel and Amber seem to be more green thumbs to Chris' veteran status.
- They appear to be claiming that the development portion of the funds will go to outsourcing, and so they appear to be claiming they don't actually need any money to cover their rent or salaries, implying they have personal savings and it's likely the game will be finished.
- They don't seem to be insane and the scope of this project seems manageable.

Higher risk elements:
- The video still seems pretty early for the 3 month time projection they have. I'm looking at the scope they think they'll ship with, and it seems quite small. So I feel like either they'll have to take more time to make more content, or if they ship it as-is it's probably going to feel like a "little" game--a lot of the replayable games people like have either a real depth / score attack element (say, Geometry Wars) or are chock full of content (say, Binding of Isaac).
- Low funding goal means that the money will evaporate very quickly which provides less of a safety net.
- Small team means medical or personal issues will delay project if they arise--almost every failed KS has someone posting "Development was hard and then I got ran over by a car while I pulled my groin and discovered a cancer hernia chronic fatigue also I'm depressed and my kids have the flu" and my typical reaction is that while it's sad and very hard to deal with illness, this is perhaps one of the reasons why crowdfunding ought to be more skeptical about smaller, personal projects if they expect accountability. Shit happens in life.
- They claim "extra money" will go to "helping improve the team's quality of life", but they aren't very transparent about how they are currently paying for their development time, and what the impact of release date slippage will be on their ability to continue developing. If you assume that they have no external expenses at all, 10K GBP should just barely cover three people's pauper's wages for the 3 months they claim it'll take to finish the game. I'm just wondering what happens if it takes 6 months to finish the game and they only get funded the bare minimum? Do they make it work or does it fail?

My general suggestion would be to not fund smaller projects at all if accountability is important to you, and the smaller the project, the more skeptical to be. Unless a project is asking for a very fixed expense--like "I have signed contracts with a specific musician and it will take me $3,500 to get her on board"--lower sums of money are big wildcards.

After all the positive stuff I've been hearing the last couple days about Shadow of Mordor, I'm really considering getting it. Anyone think the Season Pass stuff is worth getting too?GMG has a good deal with 25% off, so it'd only be $56 buck.

After all the positive stuff I've been hearing the last couple days about Shadow of Mordor, I'm really considering getting it. Anyone think the Season Pass stuff is worth getting too?GMG has a good deal with 25% off, so it'd only be $56 buck.

Head over to the B/S/T thread and you can get it for around 30.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The golden rule with Season Passes is to wait unless you're absolutely sure you'll make use of/enjoy the content. The Autumn Sale is only a couple of months away so even if you're chomping at the bit for more Mordor following the completion of the main campaign, you won't have to wait long for a sale.

Shadownet

Banned
I like how we're using Stump to gauge the risk of Kickstarter projects.

Like how I use websites when deciding who to put in my Fantasy Football starting lineup.

Thanks in advance!
Definitely buy the Valve Complete Pack now as it's on sale at 75% off: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/29197/

By the time you get through that, other stuff like Dark Souls and Skyrim should have gone on sale. The Half-Life and Portal games are definitely worth playing, as are Counter-Strike and Left 4 Dead, though you might want to play L4D with some friends as it's best when you co-operate.

Lomax

Starpoint Gemini 2 or Defense Grid 2?

Which would you buy Steam-GAF and why?

Eventually will get both, but which first.

I'd guess Defense Grid 2 is more likely to get discounted sooner (I'd expect at least 25-33% off during winter sale if not more), and Starpoint Gemini 2 already has a pretty strong discount, so based on that I'd probably pick Starpoint Gemini 2. Also, $25 for a tower defense game seems crazy to me, but then I don't really like the genre. Of course, the more SteamGaf answer would be to just wait until the winter sale on both and play something from your existing library.

erm,stupid question, as the store page does jackshit do answer this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/214490/

If I buy the "Alien: Isolation - Deluxe Edition DLC" I'm supposed to get the same content I would get by getting "Alien: Isolation Digital Deluxe Edition"(The Digital Deluxe Edition includes the full game of Alien: Isolation, Crew Expendable bonus content and the complete Season Pass giving you access to all 5 add-on packs once released.)

I ask because the thing is half the price of the season pass.

Looking at the Sub info, yes it does:
http://steamdb.info/sub/51160/apps/

I guess they put that up for people who already pre-ordered the base game before the deluxe was available. Pretty nice deal honestly, and is exactly the way pre-orders should be, give your early customers access to all the content. Bethesda could take some lessons from this.

MUnited83

For you.
erm,stupid question, as the store page does jackshit do answer this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/214490/

If I buy the "Alien: Isolation - Deluxe Edition DLC" I'm supposed to get the same content I would get by getting "Alien: Isolation Digital Deluxe Edition"(The Digital Deluxe Edition includes the full game of Alien: Isolation, Crew Expendable bonus content and the complete Season Pass giving you access to all 5 add-on packs once released.)

MetalDeer

I would imagine you get whatever's in the Digital Deluxe edition, including the season pass, since that's included. I'm not sure why they even put up the season pass already, since it costs more to buy the base game and that together.. But yeah, they could make that a bit clearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom