• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

Ok, so with the order of the 970 I think I'm now ready to upgrade from windows 8 to 8.1. Yeah, unrelated and I should have done it already, but...

- I read that 8.1 induced some problems with mouse control in some games. Do I have to find some specific patch or is the fix now included in windows update ?

- I also read that a 8.1 install is like a windows repair as in nothing will be deleted but you will have to reinstall every program. Is that so ?

I'm a little late to the party.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is it the Black Mesa that they made several months ago (or was it last year), or is this the new game they said they're working on with Valve? (Well new engine, not new game)

It's the full game that's being built using an as-yet-unnamed engine, though after much speculation the devs did confirm that it's not Source 2, which amusingly means that there will be a commercial Half-Life remake that runs on a non-Valve engine.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Seems like a lot of people got feels from To The Moon. I can't wait to find out why. I'm about 1/3 of the way in, I think. The music is certainly great.

Anteater

It's the full game that's being built using an as-yet-unnamed engine, though after much speculation the devs did confirm that it's not Source 2, which is amusing when you think about it as it means that there will be a commercial Half-Life remake that runs on a non-Valve engine.

lol I didn't know that, I thought it was source 2, well that's interesting

It's the full game that's being built using an as-yet-unnamed engine, though after much speculation the devs did confirm that it's not Source 2, which is amusing when you think about it as it means that there will be a commercial Half-Life remake that runs on a non-Valve engine.

Didn't they then confirm it's a newer version of Source? Presumably Portal 2 branch or GO.

JaseC

Didn't they then confirm it's a newer version of Source? Presumably Portal 2 branch or GO.

Not to my knowledge. All the dancing around wouldn't make any sense in retrospect if they're just using a newer branch of Source.

"We're using a new engine but we can't talk about it!"
"By the way, it's not Source 2"
"We can reveal it's Source"

I mean this was in the announcement:

Our decision to sell Black Mesa rests on two key points. One is we believe we can make the game even better by having full access to the Source engine.

So, if it's not Source 2, it's one of the recent branches with source code access, right? I gotta read back more on this.

JaseC

I mean this was in the announcement:

So, if it's not Source 2, it's one of the recent branches with source code access, right? I gotta read back more on this.

Yeah, I make an account on the BMS forums and found this:

There is a lot of confusion in this post. Source 2007 does not support Mac or Linux. Source 2013 however does. We have ported the game to Source 2013 for Windows. We will be putting our code up on github for the next release to allow people to port our game to the platforms they wish. We have a lot on our plate to contend with so it's doubtful we'll have time to do a Mac/Linux port ourselves.

What a weird thing to be coy about.

Edit: Looking into it further it was less the devs being coy and more people rushing to assumptions. It's a little odd that the Source 2 rumours made the rounds as they did but that's the internet for you.

Yeah, I make an account on the BMS forums and found this:

What a weird thing to be coy about.

Yeah. I take it that's the free version, because the SDK '13 is just a bit updated '07 or something. Really not sure why the mystery. Would Valve really be so strict that people can't talk about what version of that engine they've licensed? Especially after apparently Valve have been fading out the licensing of Source over the last year?

JaseC

Yeah. I take it that's the free version, because the SDK '13 is just a bit updated '09 or something. Really not sure why the mystery. Would Valve really be so strict that people can't talk about what version of that engine they've licensed? Especially after apparently Valve have been fading out the licensing of Source over the last year?

Probably some sort of communication error. Communication isn't Valve's strong suit, after all. ;)

That looks cool, bring me memories of the "famous" Street FIghter II: Rainbow Edition (or as we call it here Street Fighter de Rodoviária). Maybe Capcom is working on a new Street Fighter Alpha and is trying the new system on USFIV!
let me dream ;__;

It's not.

Edit: Black Mesa's app has been receiving frequent updates over the past month or so. I wonder if it's nearing release.

Any idea on the price?

For some reason i only discovered two minutes ago what the MGS collection was...

huuuuuge disappointement.

Kojima is a huge troll.

Turfster

Aw, didn't win any of the Wasteland 2's.

I feel really, really old now.

You and me both.

Why does my badges page only show my fairly recent purchases?

Many of the games were I've got my drops for and sold the cards off are not on my badges page anymore, why?
I'm still entitled to booster packs to them, so Steam hasn't forgotten them somehow.

Badge page only lists games that have had activity in the last 2 weeks or ones you still have cards for

One Day for Ched keys are now up for the Groupees BAGB6
Cho Dengeki Stryker is 45% off until the 26th for some reason on Steam.
Nuuvem is having a Strategy First weekend, apparently Flatout Complete Pack gives steam gifts if you already owned 1 & 2.

Haunted

Shadowcrypt is balls fucking hard.

Hardest game I played this year? Probably. Brings back the Ninja Gaiden feeling that even regular enemies are capable of killing you from full health.

Shadowcrypt is balls fucking hard.

Hardest game I played this year? Probably. Brings back the Ninja Gaiden feeling that even regular enemies are capable of killing you from full health.

You caught my interest.

Aw, didn't win any of the Wasteland 2's.
he last 2 weeks or ones you
One Day for Ched keys are now up for the Groupees BAGB6
Cho Dengeki Stryker is 45% off until the 26th for some reason on Steam.

You and me both.
Also thanks.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have any impressions for Elminage Gothic? It's a JRPG that got overshadowed by FFIV and FFXIII. I've heard it's like Etrian Odyssey, which I haven't played yet. Is there a compelling story or is it more mechanics focused?

Haunted

You caught my interest.
I mean, I'm still at the stage where I think that I just need to get gud. I'll tell you guys when I'm at the next stage, looking for cheap AI exploits, or the stage after that, where I call for balance changes and declare that the game's difficulty is broken.

I need a break for now after dying 3 minutes into the game for the nth time.

JaseC

Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 16 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (JaseC, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Claustrophobia: The Downward Struggle -- MB-B4FA173D5F3F5FB6 - Taken by Sarcasm
Deadly 30 -- MB-416A00CCB41E908F - Taken by electroflame
Lexica -- MB-32490AA28C36907B - Taken by Henry Swanson
Face Noir -- MB-3281D0B7CA0F4B40 - Taken by Haunted
Majesty Gold HD -- MB-7BFF26CFF140B0FF - Taken by crazyrabbits
Windforge -- MB-DD89F4EE9665BB16 - Taken by Aitor
Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars -- MB-EFFD00B9A3663D9D - Taken by MillionStabs
The Night of the Rabbit -- MB-26419A02970C9FD2 - Taken by someguyinahat
FATE: Undiscovered Realms -- MB-0B6BEE41A14543E7 - Taken by bobnowhere
Power-Up -- MB-6382E86F1745DD47 - Taken by darkchewie
Solar Flux -- MB-77942E12331B0ECB - Taken by rainking187
CastleMiner Z -- MB-E61EA0131CE35482 - Taken by sheaaaa
Not the Robots -- MB-2590BB940464643E - Taken by Ruruja
Battle Group 2 -- MB-8E4A7CA18865F955 - Taken by Diedac
Bad Hotel -- MB-62C2FD2BF0176E66 - Taken by gabrielt16
Ionball 2: Ionstorm -- MB-112D996454D4F9E5 - Taken by AlphaProspector

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

QuestRun -- MB-8B18EDB8734100F9 - Taken by Jadax
Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams -- MB-C4E15F0D13348B1F - Taken by astrogamer

$15 and not more. The game won't be even complete at its release.

So no Xen? That was one of my favorites parts from the original HL. :/

Konami is comprised of a whole army of trolls. A few days ago they announced something explosive and it turned out to be a Bomberman iOS game.

Kinda sad when, as a company, you're hyping stuff you know is going to crush souls.

Just don't get too excited when big companies tease anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom