• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

I think I reached jasecvana, I don't wanna play anything, yet I keep buying games.
I probably need to play some point and click or even VN to get over gamefatigue.

How much VRAM needed for Ultra Textures?

that's how it going to be from now on till forever?

liezryou

Can someone explain to me the benefits of capping at 30/60 fps. I never really understood all that Jazz and always turned my vsync off.

Knurek

I probably need to play some point and click or even VN to get over gamefatigue.

Don't worry, I'm feeling the same ever since TitS. Waiting for FFXIII, so don't want any long game in my queue.

If you want good adventure games, I can vouch for these:

Shadownet

Banned
What's your VRAM specs again?
I got 2GB of VRAM. Is that the answer you were looking for?

Were you getting lots of dips with textures on high or something?
Only a tiny bit. But not enough to ruin anything.

Sherlock Holmes C&P can be downloaded now.
It's 10ish GB it seems.
It's only 7.1 GB for me. o.0
..for action games, no graphical upgrade is worth this cost.
I think that only apply to shooters. Like CS:GO or CoD. 60fps.

PS. This game work really well with a controller. Much better than KB+M. It's a shame there is no Playstation icons, using Xbox icons take some time to get used to.

Wok

I don't get the hype for Mordor. To me, it looks like another Assassin's Creed.

Super Early Impression: Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor (About 1 hour into the game)

As many of you already know, the game play a lot like if Batman and Assassin's Creeds have a baby.

Exactly.

Arthea

Don't worry, I'm feeling the same ever since TitS. Waiting for FFXIII, so don't want any long game in my queue.

If you want good adventure games, I can vouch for these:
list

Ya, I tried to play Deadly Premonition yesterday, I just can't stomach terribleness of gameplay, it's especially bad after Trails, which plays so nicely.
I probably will try rabbits, I haven't played it, I think. Thanks for suggestions.

Night of the Rabbit isn't that great, for 3/4 of the game there's not a story and the game is very repetitive, with a lot of backtracking. It turns good near the end, but...

Grey Matter also starts well and then fall into the void. They totally dropped the magic book to solve riddles, the main character is bland as hell. Not one of the best Jane Jensen game. I would suggest The Samaritan Paradox, is much better and "honest" compared to Night of the Rabbit and Grey Matter. Or Memoria, I really loved it.

I would play Memoria, I bought it recently, unfortunately for that I had to finish Chains of Satinav first, and I don't think I'm in Daedalic mood right now.
The Samaritan Paradox would be tempting, but isn't it a rather long game?

Dr Dogg

Mmh, but didn't you say that in some games this whole second card for physx could produce slowdowns ? And will the second card always pump up energy or will it take juice just when needed ?
Just trying to evaluate the interest of it all for me.

Sorry for the late reply. It depends really as it's not a straight up answer as 'using a second card will make things worse' or 'a dedicated PhysX card always gives a better result'. There's variables which I found are the type of PhysX effect it is, the intensity of said effect, how well the PhysX implementation runs for that game (some are more costly than others for the same effect), the GPU being used to render the game and the GPU being used to do PhysX calculations. Some games like Mirrors Edge and Arkham Asylum and Arkham Origins get a nice boost from a separate card to perform the PhysX jobs (though I'd think any modern day enthusiast card is strong enough on it's own to doe the first two). Borderlands 2 also apparently gets a nice boost for those on older Fermi cards by using a dedicated GPU for PhysX. Mafia II for my setup at the time which had a GTX 480 rendering the game and a 9800GT performing PhysX would grind the game to a halt when PhysX was present as the dedicated card couldn't do the calculation as quick as the other card would render the game. In fact I only get a small boost by using one 780 to render and one to do PhysX. But then there's my messing around with Arkham Origins which gave me better performance disabling SLI and using one card to render the game and the other to take care of PhysX. Metro Last Light perfeormed with about next to no difference and 2033 only made a big difference with the explosion effects (which aren't really predictable).

Regards to using power it will but no where near as much as a GPU at full load. It's hard to tell without running a few tests to know what but it all depends of each card being used. During a game where it's not being used at all there will be the same sort of draw as a idle card at the desktop. Again it's not something I can pluck figures out of the air for as it would need to be tested on an individuals set up but it's not going to be on full blast ever let alone all the time. A 580 is about as power hungry than a 480 and I ran two of them for years and never went above 700 watts for my entire system. A 970 looks to use about half as much power so even with a 580 at full power consumption I'd say less than 700 watts easy (though as a disclaimer do look it up from some tests on power draw of both cards you'd use and don't just take my word for it)

But like anything else with PC's these days if you have the capabilities to run it as an option, like two cards, enough PCIe slots in the right place on your motherboard and a PSU that could power both, try it out and see how you get on. A 580 is a very handy card when it comes to compute so would be at least worth a try on Rhaknar's part and if it doesn't then no biggie but really only he can find that out by testing. There are some user tests on OC.net that might give some insight but all cards are fairly close together in terms of performance where as a 970 is getting on for 33% better at compute and about twice as powerful on the rendering side over a 580.

Yakkue

I think I reached jasecvana, I don't wanna play anything, yet I keep buying games.

Have you played Finding Teddy yet? I thought that was a charming little game. (took me less than 2 hours)
I can also really recommend Year Walk. (took me about 3 hours)
If you'd rather play something funny, Ben There, Dan That and Time Gentlemen, please! are also pretty neat. (First game takes about 2 hours, second one about 5)

Miguel81

that's how it going to be from now on till forever?

Gabriel Knight Remake is coming up. Hopefully, it measures up to the original. The Lake Pontchartrain music is damn relaxing.

Dr Dogg

I asked in the Shadow of Mordor Performance thread but most of them in there seem to just be running the benchmark tool to make themselves feel better. What's the in-game performance like? A lot of the pre release promo videos looked like it has some instances of hitching during gameplay and the times it zooms into a close up. Any other issues you folks have spotted?

All this talk of the Mordor specs has got me concerned that I'll have a hard time playing it. Hopefully it scales down well enough. I'll probably wait and pick it up in a sale rather than risk paying a bunch for a game that won't run well. Looks interesting though.

Hahaha oh come on it didn't look that demanding from the requirements listed by the publisher and even more so by some of the synthetic tests posted here and other places either (though I'm awaiting on the proper sites to give a run down). This cult of "60fps or nothing!" really needs to die down. I remember a time when even on the latest hardware at the time if you got 40fps it was an achievement and something to look forward to again at a later date. Far Cry 2 was an absolute monster at release and sub 30fps scores weren't uncommon unless you really dialed everything back but now on modern hardware the mid 100's are quite easily attainable and personally for me in it's day it was quite a looker. Now there's a worrying trend where some people want maximum settings and 1920x1080 resolutions @ 60fps or it's not good enough for them. Fair enough if the game doesn't push and graphical boundaries and doesn't warrant the performance cost but I want something that uses my GPU 99.99%, stresses all the cores of my CPU at the same time in parallel and takes advantage of faster memory and hard drive speeds but also scales down gracefully through all the settings so it can be played on a toaster and still look good.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
All this talk of the Mordor specs has got me concerned that I'll have a hard time playing it. Hopefully it scales down well enough. I'll probably wait and pick it up in a sale rather than risk paying a bunch for a game that won't run well. Looks interesting though.

In other news, Binding of Isaac Rebirth is out 5 weeks today. I seriously can't wait. Really looking forward to that one. Shame they couldn't get it out on Halloween like they wanted, would have got it a few days earlier, ha. Anyone hoping for major discounts on anything in the Halloween Sale?

Arthea

Have you played Finding Teddy yet? I thought that was a charming little game. (took me less than 2 hours)
I can also really recommend Year Walk. (took me about 3 hours)
If you'd rather play something funny, Ben There, Dan That and Time Gentlemen, please! are also pretty neat. (First game takes about 2 hours, second one about 5)

nice suggestions :)
Year Walk somehow didn't go that well with me, wrong mood perhaps, it's a very slow game, at least feels like not much is happening.

Gabriel Knight Remake is coming up. Hopefully, it measures up to the original. The Lake Pontchartrain music is damn relaxing.

whishlisted it at once, but I'll wait for some impressions before buying this remake, as I played an original, so no rush.

"ETS2 Steam Achievements are live now!"

FINALLY. :D

wait... I thought cheevos were added a week or two ago?

Tizoc

There's an Orc name generator in the Shadow of Mordor thread Lol just input your name.

http://www.thelandofshadow.com/mordorgate/darkdownloads/blackspeech/orcname.htm

Mine is Mokûrz the Vengeful - Uruk of Mordor.

This game is not very hard or very easy. You have to time the combat exactly and learn to counter and dodge. But so far I haven't had much trouble defeating any enemies. Especially if you learn and exploit their weaknesses.

I am...
Shaporrûrz, the crude - Uruk of Mordor

Arthea

I am Shagrat, the crusher - Uruk of Mordor
I'll crush you all!

edited: for kicks I added my steam name:
Ghashdurb, the foul-mouthed - Uruk of Mordor
(><)

Can anyone enlighten me with how good the kb+m controls are for Shadow of Mordor? I have it downloaded but working at the moment and I'm interested to know if it's decent without a controller or if I'd be better just using a pad.

Pop

ModBot said:
Instructions for Pop:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Pop, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolves -- MB-031232C8B3C197F1 - Taken by Sparrowhawk

Here's a little something

Yakkue

nice suggestions :)
Year Walk somehow didn't go that well with me, wrong mood perhaps, it's a very slow game, at least feels like not much is happening.

There isn't a lot that happens until you figure out what you actually have to do. Took me a while as well. But you have to be in the right mood, that's true. Maybe try again in the winter months, when it's snowy outside, if you feel so inclined :)

My recommendations

The Cat lady - well, technically it's not a point and click, anyway it is very good, although the puzzles are not very hard to solve
Journey of a roach - this is a decent one, quite short by the way
Ben There, Dan That - I like the humour

Agreed, really liked those as well :)

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Can I enable the Hardcore Textures with my 3dfx Voodoo? I think my PC has more than 6 GB of free space so I should be fine, no?

/s

derExperte

[Origin / Battlefield 4] The announced ultramassivemegapatch for BF4 is out if anyone cares (I'll certainly give it a try while staying strong and not getting Mordor). http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2979150494051082340/ http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/news/view/bf4-fall-patch-coming/

Can I enable the Hardcore Textures with my 3dfx Voodoo? I think my PC has more than 6 GB of free space so I should be fine, no?

/s

Only one Voodoo 1? That was already weak in '99, gotta SLI the V2.

My recommendations

The Cat lady - well, technically it's not a point and click, anyway it is very good, although the puzzles are not very hard to solve
Journey of a roach - this is a decent one, quite short by the way
Ben There, Dan That - I like the humour
Aura: fate of the sages - this one I am not sure, some of the puzzles make little logic sense to me, still I liked the art, visually it is stunning

I would also recommend to you to play some hidden objects games, some such as Midnight mysteries series have some light point and click elements

Arthea

how long are Time Gentlemen and Ben There, Dan That? I could do with some good comedy, as I like funny games, not to mention that british humour is the best humour, but I prefer something not demanding a lot of time right now.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
how long are Time Gentlemen and Ben There, Dan That? I could do with some good comedy, as I like funny games, not to mention that british humour is the best humour, but I prefer something not demanding a lot of time right now.

The post from Yakkue you quoted up there says that BTDT is about 2 hours and TGP is about 5.

If you like comedy they are both OK - well I haven't finished yet Time, genetlemen but for what I have played it seems very similar to the first game -, the lines are very funny and mock the stereotypes of point and click games.

Also, if you're looking for something not demanding they're quite short, although you may have to check a walkthrough whenever you happen to get stuck.

derExperte

http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=1004
http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=10349

I don't trust that site, it lied to me one time too many

Depends on the sample size. If it's one vote I'm suspicious too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom