• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyG

Banned
Includes the 2 expansion packs, back when expansion packs actually meant "another meaty game" ;)

Also, happy birthday, Widdly Scuds.
By the game you have chosen to give away, I see you are a person of exquisite taste ;)
Yeah, I noticed that after the fact. The weird thing is that once it started downloading, it said the core game is 7.4gb and the expansions downloaded instantly. It seems like something went wrong.

Turfster

Daily Pixel Piracy Open World 50% off

Humble Final Day
Reruns, including like, half of yesterday's deals, apparently.
  • Thief 9€
  • Splinter Cell Blacklist 3€
  • Nidhogg 4€
  • Postal 2 2€
  • Sacred 3 37.5€
  • Stronghold HD 0.8€
  • Road not taken 12€
  • Life is feudal 30€
  • Killer is dead 10€
  • Men of War 2 Assault Squad 12€
  • Pool nation 1.34€
  • Castle of Illusion 3.24€
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light 3€
  • Bardbarian 0.8€
  • Glare 3€
  • Noir Syndrome 2€
  • Dream 8€
  • Cannonbrawl 9€
  • Interstellar Marines 11.5€
  • Wasteland 2 55€

MUnited83

For you.
oh , i thought you can't get achievements in offline mode

Always depends on the game. In some you don't unlock them at all if offline, others do, and some game do not unlock offline but they have "flags" that when checked online will automatically grant you the achievements.(like this)

Chariot

Daily Pixel Piracy Open World 50% off

Humble Final Day
Reruns, including like, half of yesterday's deals, apparently.
  • Thief 9€
  • Splinter Cell Blacklist 3€
  • Nidhogg 4€
  • Postal 2 2€
  • Sacred 3 37.5€
  • Stronghold HD 0.8€
  • Road not taken 12€
  • Life is feudal 30€
  • Killer is dead 10€
  • Men of War 2 Assault Squad 12€
  • Pool nation 1.34€
  • Castle of Illusion 3.24€
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light 3€
  • Bardbarian 0.8€
  • Glare 3€
  • Noir Syndrome 2€
  • Dream 8€
  • Cannonbrawl 9€
  • Interstellar Marines 11.5€
  • Wasteland 2 55€
I am confused isn't it all from yesterday, aside from the two flash deals?

kulapik

I stumbled upon Gender Bender DNA Twister Extreme and all I can say is why.

WHY.

I mean, I have one of the fetishes that seem to appear on that game (I won't say which one, but don't worry, I'm not into furries) and I even think this game is horrible and bad drawn.

Hell, I won't even buy it for the fap, 25 bucks? LOL

Turfster

Those two are specially marked as flash deals.
Some part in me hopes that they just forgot to update the deals. I was so excited :(

Yeah, I gave them 15 minutes, but these are still they deals they chose to frontpage.
Note that quite a few other deals are also still active, you just have to search for them.

Annubis

There's apparently a game that just got added to Greenlight called Gynophobia. Yes, gynophobia, the fear of women. From the description:

But the preview video and screenshots...

What the hell?

Ok, I don't want to start a big debate in the Steam thread but I'm so weirded out right now.
There's a lot of comments on the Gynophobia about how shooting women is evil and I just spent my entire morning playing F.E.A.R. shooting hundreds of dudes...

I can only play F.E.A.R. in small doses. I'm too much of a wuss to play long strides of that game =(

Chariot

Yeah, I gave them 15 minutes, but these are still they deals they chose to frontpage.
Note that quite a few other deals are also still active, you just have to search for them.
Just saw the tweet

j5RQ1oBqVFUOh.png

Why making the last day doubled and then follow with an actual encore?

Ryne

Happy Sunday, everyone!

I wonder if anyone in here is going to get the new F1 2014 game. You get a free game with it (F1 Race Stars) and a 50% off a codemasters game which could be useful to get that Colin McRae Rally game, perhaps. However, I'm not an expert on F1 and it's not a class I drive often in racing games (I am loving Forma C on GRID Autosport however). I just love driving in the rain.

Either way I'm sure many GAFfers already have other pre-orders in mind. Saw lot's of people getting the Shadow of Mordor season pass lately, Alien and other recent titles.

Already got that F1 2014 pre-order in. I am a complete sucker for Codemasters racing games, and since I already put in nearly 2000 hours with the previous games, I might as well go all in.

I didn't buy it at full price though ;)

If anyone wants a Codemasters 50% off coupon, just give me a shout.

autoduelist

So I tend to love tactical/strategy games -- games like FTL and Frozen Synapse are perfect for me. Are there any 'hidden gems' out there on Steam? A lot of the best (like the two above) get popular enough that people have heard of them, but I'm perfectly fine playing some of the 'under polished' ones that never really get much attention.

Any recommendations? (I'm down for a wide range of genres, from roguelike to tactical squad sims to tower defense to 4x). What i'm really searching for are the hidden gems that nobody talks about, I can find the more obvious ones by listening/googling (and probably already have bought them).

dex3108

Blacklist for 3e is worth in my opinion even though it is UPlay version. Keep in mind that SC Blacklist still uses old patch system and you will need to restart game after every patch.

L.O.R.D

so , i bought FEAR Bundle from bundle star
when i tried to redeem the first game code, i discovered i already have it

picard-facepalm.jpg

so here it is

ModBot said:
Instructions for L.O.R.D:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (L.O.R.D, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

F.E.A.R. 1 (Includes 2 DLC) -- MB-75D81EFDF974422F - Taken by nja. 5 entrants total.

t1411320877z1.png

Hugstable

Banned
Damn Evil Within is coming so soon, and I feel almost good enough that the game is gonna be worth the full $60 so I think I'm gonna preorder the game finally. Pretty excited to see if we get a truly classic Survival Horror game out of this since we really haven't had one in awhile. (Unless I'm forgetting something recent -_-). Some of these monsters I've seen in the images though look pretty damn creepy.

Damn Evil Within is coming so soon, and I feel almost good enough that the game is gonna be worth the full $60 so I think I'm gonna preorder the game finally. Pretty excited to see if we get a truly classic Survival Horror game out of this since we really haven't had one in awhile. (Unless I'm forgetting something recent -_-). Some of these monsters I've seen in the images though look pretty damn creepy.

It's like $45 on GMG if you use a coupon.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Since I'm reading the steam thread in between breaks playing X-Com: Terror of the Deep, I might as well mention it. It really feels more like an expansion pack than a full game. I dunno, I don't like it as much as UFO Defense so far.

It's my birthday so here's a game that's kind of like myself: flawed but at least they tried (also easy on the eyes)

Happy birthday :D

Jim Sterling bringing the goods again, what the hell is is this? xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI6xhA6XeM0

Something incredible.

dot

please take these

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (dot, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Legend of Grimrock -- MB-A1C2BB971BE7DB72 - Taken by Capt.Haddock. 3 entrants total.
Terraria -- MB-38BAEABD90BE63A2 - Taken by UnrealEck. 1 entrants total.
Deadlight -- MB-6F31E7048FF128C1 - Taken by TheLight. 3 entrants total.

t1411321537z1.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ok, I don't want to start a big debate in the Steam thread but I'm so weirded out right now.
There's a lot of comments on the Gynophobia about how shooting women is evil and I just spent my entire morning playing F.E.A.R. shooting hundreds of dudes...

The dudes in FEAR weren't selected to be shot because they were men and the authors were working through a raging psychosis about men.

Deitus

I always felt that was a weird double standard. If we want women to be better represented in games, and to show they are just as capable as men, that's going to have to mean that we occasionally have to fight and kill women in games the same way we do men. That's not misogyny, or encouraging violence against women, it's just equality. Of course that's provided the violence isn't contextualized in a way that is specifically gendered, like murdering a prostitute because she talked back to you. That's obviously different than killing a female soldier in a group of male soldiers you kill.

But that game has a very weird way of portraying phobias. So the player looks through his peephole to see a woman with extremely large breasts and exposed cleavage, and that transports him into a nightmare world full of zombies and monsters that he has to mow down with an assault rifle? Or at least that's what I'm assuming is going on based on that video. I don't necessarily know if that's problematic without more context, but it's definitely not a particularly mature way to address a real mental health issue.

Dr Dogg

Can we at least discuss why we put so many hours into a game, or is that too off topic for the Steam thread too? I know we're supposed to have more of a focus on buying games instead of playing them :p.

I didn't really want to jump on this earlier in case of being accused of double standards but look at it this way a bunch of people just posting lists isn't discussion or others engaging in active conversation. Say what you want about the earlier pizza derail but at least others where chatting with one another whilst most where weaving it in with on topic posts as well. When you get a bunch of lists with little to no context and all the responses are others just doing the same there is no conversation there. If someone said 'what's your most played game on Steam and why?' And then we all took it in turns, one at a time to engage on that particular game, maybe its merits as to why someone would play it for so long and what kept the coming back it could be used as useful advice on a potential or overlooked purchase. A series of people just posting lists with no engagement or discussion is not really helpful to anyone except those who like to flaunt their insane devotion to a game.

Really I think for me that the issue here is that some times there's great opportunities for discussion about a hobby we all share that are not taken advantage of but just lots of voices amongst the crowd (though every form of social interaction on the internet is prone to a week signal to noise ratio the more participants are involved). But it's been said a fair few times that each and everyone of us need a little self control about how and what we post and even though things are at it's calmest for a while now it only takes one post to cause a derail with the amount of folks who join in. I'm really not that fussed anymore to be fair, if I see chatter in here I'm not to keen on I just go and have a poke around other threads for something to catch my eye. There are certainly better thing to do with my time than get ansty about how others choose to post in here.

Dogg reported that achievements unlocked in offline mode will unlock all at once when you reconnect.

Yeah what happened when I played South Park offline was I unlocked them during play but they didn't show up in the client until I signed back in and at that time when they synced is when the timestamps got applied. There are some games that for me didn't allow offline achievements like Sleeping Dogs but most will work as long as you have downloaded the achievement schema.

MattyG

Banned
Anyone know what's up with the FEAR expansions? When I click on properties and local files, it says than the file size for both is "none", and the base game is only 7.4GB. Do I have to download the expansions elsewhere?

Volimar

The dudes in FEAR weren't selected to be shot because they were men and the authors were working through a raging psychosis about men.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that someone would want to tap into the raging misogyny market. If recent events have taught us anything, there are a lot of them...

voted no

Nabs

I wanted to enter for Deadlight, until I saw I already have it. I don't even remember when I bought it...
Thanks anyway!

And I have 2 coupon for Pixel Piracy (-25%) if someone want them...

Just give them to trashbot since they don't stack.

Chariot

So, how do you get new characters in the new Naruto game? Do you have to play the campaign? I would love to ignore the criticized campaign if I could just slap the shit out of Sasuke with my favorite characters.

Saty

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/155160/steam-top-10
Here's Valve's report of the 10 bestselling games for last week on Steam:

1.Wasteland 2
2.The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition
3.Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
4.Left 4 Dead 2
5.Life is Feudal
6.DayZ
7.NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM Revolution on Steam
8.Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
9.Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
10.Dead Rising 3: Apocalypse Edition

FF13 bomba. Weird, wasn't it on top of the top10 and then part of it longer than Wasteland2 was?

Some left overs.

ModBot said:
Instructions for gabrielt16:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (gabrielt16, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-E14D27301B472A14 - Taken by agniswarm
Race the Sun -- MB-314E9F2BD54AC024 - Taken by MarcoZombieCannon

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Traded in my regular DS4 for a white one and the analog coating feels more firm than my old one which felt a little soft and spongey. I'm hoping this one holds up better since I didn't want a white controller but did it for the analogs.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I didn't really want to jump on this earlier in case of being accused of double standards but look at it this way a bunch of people just posting lists isn't discussion or others engaging in active conversation. Say what you want about the earlier pizza derail but at least others where chatting with one another whilst most where weaving it in with on topic posts as well. When you get a bunch of lists with little to no context and all the responses are others just doing the same there is no conversation there. If someone said 'what's your most played game on Steam and why?' And then we all took it in turns, one at a time to engage on that particular game, maybe its merits as to why someone would play it for so long and what kept the coming back it could be used as useful advice on a potential or overlooked purchase. A series of people just posting lists with no engagement or discussion is not really helpful to anyone except those who like to flaunt their insane devotion to a game.

Really I think for me that the issue here is that some times there's great opportunities for discussion about a hobby we all share that are not taken advantage of but just lots of voices amongst the crowd (though every form of social interaction on the internet is prone to a week signal to noise ratio the more participants are involved). But it's been said a fair few times that each and everyone of us need a little self control about how and what we post and even though things are at it's calmest for a while now it only takes one post to cause a derail with the amount of folks who join in. I'm really not that fussed anymore to be fair, if I see chatter in here I'm not to keen on I just go and have a poke around other threads for something to catch my eye. There are certainly better thing to do with my time than get ansty about how others choose to post in here.

Dogg is right on the money with this post. As good stewards of the thread, we should be mindful when these types of questions are asked, and set an example by answering them (if we choose) in such a way that encourages further discussion about gaming and specifically gaming on Steam. So I'll go first.

Here are some of my top played games on Steam, and why:

e3f375e78ada9d2ec7ffa521fe1b0052d1d2bbb5.jpg

Terraria | 95 hours on record
I'm a sucker for sandbox games with RPG elements, and the top games I've played on Steam really reflect that. I believe my time here was artificially inflated by the fact that I would leave the game running with a multiplayer server sometimes while I was AFK. That fact alone reveals why I kept coming back for more: multiplayer made this game fun. This was a game that my kids were into in a big way and it was fun to hop in and play with them while building things, finding treasure, and sharing cool weapons and items with them. Eventually they both got better at it than their old man, but there are so many good memories I have of playing this game that I'm glad it's on the top of my list.

c5af3cde13610fca25cd17634a96d72487d21e74.jpg

Skyrim | 88 hours on record
Yet another game that's essentially a sandbox game that's also an RPG. My first playthrough of this game happened on the Xbox 360 when it first released. The 88 hours on the PC version encompassed a playthrough of the various expansion packs as well as mods. Oh god, the mods made this game beautiful. There is so much to do in Skyrim that even after 88 hours I haven't unlocked all of the achievements. I guess the reason I kept coming back to it is that it's so easy to get lost in the narrative and locations.

a54e96c44d2b2c65a75702655ef47df336e0492a.jpg

Final Fantasy VII | 65 hours on record
It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of the Final Fantasy franchise. Even though I still have the original PC release from 1998 on disc, releasing it on Steam gave me the perfect excuse to revisit this classic last year. The 65 hours were for a single playthrough where I focused on unlocking all of the game's achievements
because I'm crazy
. It had been about 6 years since the last time I played it, but there is so much to do in this game that obviously it can take some time. Don't let my play time dissuade you from picking it up though, I probably had 75-80% of the achievements unlocked after only about 25 hours. Those last ones were super challenging but very rewarding for an old fan like myself.

MRORANGE

Can we at least discuss why we put so many hours into a game, or is that too off topic for the Steam thread too? I know we're supposed to have more of a focus on buying games instead of playing them :p

I'm not opposed for people talking about what games they play the most as yes it is on topic, what I am opposed to is people just posting stats/images of playcounts without any justification or meaning behind it. That page in particular was slightly getting out of hand as it was just print screens with very little or no reasons on why gaffers played those games. It would have been nicer if people talked about what games they play the most and tell us why.

Another Example

1. A post on what games a person is looking out for this winter with reasons why people should play it.

2. a post that has a wishlist from Steam.

1. Is a better option as it doesnt feel like a drive by post and will help with developing the conversation rather than creating a flood of images/stats.

Sorry if it's harsh and all, and yes Steam threads get derailed all the time but Steam threads do have a certain standard of conversation that doesnt devolve into image posting.... well most times anyway..

EDIT: Dr Dogg's post is right on the money on why.

Hugstable

Banned
I still need to get back to Killer is Dead and Dark Souls 2 soon, been a bit busy with school work last week and been finishing off yS: Celceta on the Vita recently. I still got quite a bit in Dark Souls 2, still haven't even touched it again since the last time I streamed over a month ago -___-

Anteater

I still need to get back to Killer is Dead and Dark Souls 2 soon, been a bit busy with school work last week and been finishing off yS: Celceta on the Vita recently. I still got quite a bit in Dark Souls 2, still haven't even touched it again since the last time I streamed over a month ago -___-

well at least killer is dead is kind of short

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom