• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

Gonna come out of nowhere with this question

What are the chances a lot of the games that have issues on Windows 8/8.1(Fallout 4, GTAIV, and Resident Evil 5 come to mind right off the top I know there are others)will work fine on Windows 9?

Since 9 will be building upon the 8 fundament I'd say somewhere between 0 and 5%.

Tenrius

What are the chances a lot of the games that have issues on Windows 8/8.1(Fallout 4, GTAIV, and Resident Evil 5 come to mind right off the top I know there are others)will work fine on Windows 9?

What sort of issues are these games supposed to have on Windows 8? I haven't experienced any.

What sort of issues are these games supposed to have on Windows 8? I haven't experienced any.

Have to jump through some annoying holes to get them working. Some of the mods I enjoy using also make GTAIV and Fallout 3 completely unplayable on Windows 8. I deal with the bs to get the vanilla game running, and then face more problems. Just...ugh

What are the chances a lot of the games that have issues on Windows 8/8.1(Fallout 4)will work fine on Windows 9?

Do you mean New Vegas?
Every once and then it crashes and I have to kill it with the task manager, but aside from that I haven't had any issues - 60 hours so far.

Tenrius

Have to jump through some annoying holes to get them working. Some of the mods I enjoy using also make GTAIV and Fallout 3 completely unplayable on Windows 8. I deal with the bs to get the vanilla game running, and then face more problems. Just...ugh

Well, It'd be interesting to know what sort of holes you had to jump through. I had zero issues with both games, as well as RE5 (I have just the regular Windows 8 though).

Well, It'd be interesting to know what sort of holes you had to jump through. I had zero issues with both games, as well as RE5 (I have just the regular Windows 8 though).

I did just build a new PC. I doubt it will make much of a difference but I'll give it a go with Fallout 3 on the new build.

Turfster

God damn it I think I ran into a bug with dragonfall.
I had a dialogue option, decided to wait with it and now it's gone forever.
*restarts level*

I actually meant Fallout 3...my bad

I have no issues running NV.

I see, I have never tried out yet Fallout 3 yet.

By the way I've had problems running other games than the ones you mentioned on Windows 8.1, basically in fullscreen mode they're unplayable, but I've found out recently you can force windowmode on the launch options on Steam, something like -window 1280x720: it's not the ideal solution, but it fix the problem somehow at the very least.

derExperte

There isn't any special version, if you have 8 you get the 8.1 update. And you should install it if it hasn't happened automatically already.

Tenrius

There isn't any special version, if you have 8 you get the 8.1 update. And you should install it if it hasn't happened automatically already.

I've refused the offer to upgrade repeatedly, because I read about issues with some games and mouse acceleration, I think. Said issues have probably been fixed already, but oh well.

Asgaro

ynrM9ik.jpg

WTF...does anyone know who is he ?
and what is he talking ablout ?
he just signed in , said that and signed out immediately
strange , very suspicious

He also added me a while ago.
I still have him and didn't remove or block him.
As long as he doesn't send me fake trade URLs to scam it's all good. :p

Cerity

anyone played pixel piracy?

sounds pretty good

It's okay. Even though they've taken it out of EA, it still feels very barebones. More like a phone game. The UI is a little confusing and cluttered at parts, things get pretty repetitive and it's very easy to break. There isn't much variety in islands/fights either.

That said, it's a fun few hours while you learn the mechanics and get used to the game.

Ufff, almost done with L.A. Noire. I must say the game gets really repetitive past the Vice desk and the ending, oh god, that ending...

Well, this clears my backlog a bit and readies things for Crown of the Ivory King, Ancient Space and a couple extra things.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
There were some people in the last thread that expressed interest in seeing how my gaming collection looked once I got everything set up in my new house. So today I have about 90% of everything put in the right spot so I decided to take some photos. I'm not going to post them directly but here is an Imgur album:

http://imgur.com/a/5uMPK

Sorry for the (slightly) OT

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
There were some people in the last thread that expressed interest in seeing how my gaming collection looked once I got everything set up in my new house. So today I have about 90% of everything put in the right spot so I decided to take some photos. I'm not going to post them directly but here is an Imgur album:

Sorry for the OT

If you had included a image of your steam library it would have been on topic...

Sorry for the (slightly) OT
Looks very good! I love seeing physical collections of games, I'm not sure why, but it just looks cool(It's one of few reasons I still purchase PC games physically)

Zeliard

Looks like I'm officially back on the Quake Live train, for the first time since '09. I booted it up yesterday to dabble a bit and then 6 hours flew by.

The changes aren't quite as dire as I'd expected. The auto-bunnyhopping mechanic is terrible since it's so slow. So I think it was a poor addition not because it trivializes manual bunnyhopping, but because it's actually very bad for new players. It makes them much easier and more predictable targets as they hop around slowly, whereas they'd be a bit more effective were they to not hop around with it and simply strafe-dodge, and it also makes them less likely to learn how to really bunny hop since they may feel content to stick it out with the automated version. You still stand to gain far, far more speed by bunnyhopping manually.

As far as the loadout thing, I tried it out in FFA and Freeze Tag. It's not too horrendous. It's balanced such that you can't, for example, just immediately go out with both rocket launcher and railgun, or rocket launcher and LG (they're on the same tier of loadouts), and the ammo you start out with is fairly low. So you're still encouraged to go around the map picking up ammo and other weaps, though they have a much higher respawn rate now which makes timings less meaningful.

So, still fun, still pretty Quakey, and even in this strange, somewhat neutered state it's still better than most anything else out there at the moment. It's got its hooks into me again. There was a hole in the competitive online shooter genre for me which this should fill nicely till the next thing comes along. Tribes: Ascend died an ignominious death and Titanfall is just problematic on too many levels to really enjoy.

derExperte

I've refused the offer to upgrade repeatedly, because I read about issues with some games and mouse acceleration, I think. Said issues have probably been fixed already, but oh well.

The mouse thing has been fixed and you should upgrade asap just for security reasons, I think 8.0 doesn't get fixes anymore. And I haven't heard (or can't remember....) of any games that have issues with 8.1 specifically.

Grief.exe

The mouse thing has been fixed and you should upgrade asap just for security reasons, I think 8.0 doesn't get fixes anymore. And I haven't heard (or can't remember....) of any games that have issues with 8.1 specifically.

Have they been completely fixed? I haven't looked into it, but I remember their fix was only certain games and the rest needed specific registry fixes.

I gave Quake Live a go yesterday. Didn't quite spend 6 hours with it, but it was a blast from the past. I didn't really like the UI. It felt like a browser, but the game is just as meaty as ever.

MRORANGE

Most annoying thing about TGS was the MGS Collection being a clothing range.

I mean wtf.

I wanted the 2nd part of that gaffers prophecy to come true about the MGS1-4 coming to Steam.

derExperte

Have they been completely fixed? I haven't looked into it, but I remember their fix was only certain games and the rest needed specific registry fixes.

I can't find confirmation right now but I'm certain I've read that 8.1 Update 1 fixed the issue completely.

If someone could name an affected game that isn't listed here I could test it.

I mean wtf.

I wanted the 2nd part of that gaffers prophecy to come true about the MGS1-4 coming to Steam.

MGS 4 is probably too much work to bring to ANYTHING considering how many PS3 specific features that game has. MGS 1-3 should have definitely come over though.
the mod potential ;-;

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member

I mean wtf.

Yeah, that was pretty shitty. It'd be nice if they rereleased 1-3 at the very least (I've heard 4 isn't as good? Maybe?)

Ruruja

If I drag my save files from my documents in 'Windows.old' to my new documents, they should get picked up by steam (or the games) right?

derExperte

So Life is Feudal: Your Own is the new hot thing on Steam. Why? I don't remember anyone here talking about it. Are we old and not up to date to what the young folks play these days?

MattyG

Banned
How long is FEAR 1? I just hit chapter 4, and I feel like I should just skip to 2. From what I've heard, FEAR 1 is very same-y in terms of environments and gameplay, and I've seen some people say they think it's too long. What do you guys think?

Oh, and are any of you guys excited for the Vanishing of Ethan Carter? I'm so pumped for it, looks incredible.

Are there any good trading card bots out there? Preferably same game 1:1? SCE is a ripoff.

Also, I'm building my gaming rig piece by piece when I can afford to, and I've had my eye on the 770... Now, with the release of the 970, is the 770 likely to get a price drop, and how much would it likely be? Or should I just go with the 970 at this point? And why did they skipped the 800 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom