• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deitus

Dear Steam,

Stop recommending me games based on the games I "recently viewed." Just because I accidentally clicked the link for Wakfu when it was featured the other day does not mean I want to play every single Free to Play MMO.

Thank you.

WavekSra

I was redeeming Tropico 3, and then I saw I have some spare keys in Humble :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WavekSra, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Cities in Motion 2 -- MB-0A6945AF6DB5AB6B - Taken by MarcoZombieCannon. 7 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die! -- MB-5F67117137FC26A6 - Taken by Sharkiller. 3 entrants total.

t1411447722z1.png

Lomax

Dear Steam,

Stop recommending me games based on the games I "recently viewed." Just because I accidentally clicked the link for Wakfu when it was featured the other day does not mean I want to play every single Free to Play MMO.

Thank you.

That seems to be a chronic problem with all internet recommendation systems, Amazon's is particularly prone to it.

Lain

I despise the new Steam Store, it doesn't work with my native language, the color scheme is not to my liking (and clashes with the client but also in the browser) and the on wishlist text over the game's icons is highly annoying.

louiedog

Who could have imagined that adding every freebie, insanely cheap bundle title, and game in danger of being delisted to your Steam account could negatively impact your recommendations?

Deitus

That seems to be a chronic problem with all internet recommendation systems, Amazon's is particularly prone to it.

That's true, but at least on Amazon when it recommends a game based on my viewing history, I can tell it to "stop using for recommendations." I can also edit my viewing history, if I end up looking at a bunch of things that I know are going to screw up my recommendations.

Nooooooo thank you to that NeoGaf curated list. :p

Yep, not yet.

Oddly this has been the #1 request in my inbox in the last 2 hours.

I'd be more interested in getting rid of the huge "queue" box. It takes up way too much space for what is essentially just a glorified link.

Turfster

Who could have imagined that adding every freebie, insanely cheap bundle title, and game in danger of being delisted to your Steam account could negatively impact your recommendations?

It's been spitting games at me that have nothing to do with anything in my library, though?
It's all "oh this is 'popular', here's a F2P thing" and "people are buying this, you want it, right?"

Dear Steam,

Thank you.
This, so goddamn much. I accidentally clicked on a game while trying to see if there were options for part of the store page, now it's affecting my recommendations. Also, Civ: Beyond Earth keeps showing up on the recommended list after I've already added it to my wish list.

Parsnip

I edited the main store, hid a few content blocks and made it wider. Only problem is that the endless scrolling script doesn't play nice and makes the page freeze a bit on first scroll. No idea what to do about that, oh well. It's not perfect but it's the way I like the page.

Nooooooo thank you to that NeoGaf curated list. :p

http://store.steampowered.com/curator/4626771

Toma started curating this one if you want good games recommended :p

I edited the main store, hid a few content blocks and made it wider. Only problem is that the endless scrolling script doesn't play nice and makes the page freeze a bit on first scroll. No idea what to do about that, oh well. It's not perfect but it's the way I like the page.

This looks pretty good.

eyeless

only curator i'm following is indie megabooth, found em looking at the samurai gunn page, as it is exactly the kind of recommendations i am interested in, i'm looking for games i might not have heard of but that have some curation for quality that's not just a guy with an anime avatar and a meme in his name, if you've got any similar curators to follow, recommend em

Momentary

Banned
Was this the big PC news?

Anyway. I love this WAY better than the old site. Going through the tabs for upcoming and released games is so quick and smooth.

I gave up on the recommendations thingie after the 10 games I flipped through weren't even close to matching up with my interests.

My long-lost grandmother who sent me Crystal's Pony Tale on the Genesis for my 17th birthday (didn't even own a Genesis anymore) could do a better job.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Sugar Cube Bittersweet Factory -- MB-9FC604E13A874D23 - Taken by PandaPedinte
Montas -- MB-30C0B72B6B707132 - Taken by NightmareTrigger

Turfster

only curator i'm following is indie megabooth, found em looking at the samurai gunn page, as it is exactly the kind of recommendations i am interested in, i'm looking for games i might not have heard of but that have some curation for quality that's not just a guy with an anime avatar and a meme in his name, if you've got any similar curators to follow, recommend em

Try RetroRemakes?

I gave up on the recommendations thingie after the 10 games I flipped through weren't even close to matching up with my interests.

My long-lost grandmother who sent me a copy of My Little Pony on the Genesis for my 17th birthday (didn't even own a Genesis anymore) could do a better job.

The games in the "Recommended For You" tab have been pretty good for me but the ones in the Discovery Queue have been pretty dire as well.

That's pretty damn good. Wish it could be implemented that way in the client.

jblank83

steam_wide_by_majorparsnip-d8073gd.jpg

Beautiful

Efficient, readable, attractive, informative. That's UI design.

[shamelessplug]shamelessplug[/shamelessplug]

Neat, a whole platform from which I can spout how superior my taste in games is to everyone else in the world..

In all seriousness though I just red that 100 million active users bit. That's nuts, even if a good chunk are F2P4lifers or bots.

Nerokis

Huge improvement, in my opinion. It could still use some work around the edges, of course, but the additional personalization and depth makes looking around so much more satisfying. A limited list of featured games, specials, and new and best selling titles, with the option to go deeper with the most basic search function ever (and with tags, I guess?), just didn't make for that compelling a shopping experience.

The UI is surprisingly well done, at least to the extent that it's not cumbersome at all. Implementing all the above changes could have easily resulted in something so much worse. It's a good sign, I think, how quickly I went from thinking "wait, what the hell is this?" to finding it legitimately enjoyable to browse. Good stuff all around.

Tellaerin

I wonder what they can do about unofficial groups popping up using the names of well-known people and groups acting as curators.

Implement some sort of identity verification system and add a "verified" icon next to the name (a star or checkmark or something) like Facebook does with legit celebrity pages?

Gvaz

Banned

Most of the shit on that page needs to be like 50% smaller. Too fucking big.

Some more stuff, there are some actually good games and some "meh" thingies.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kurt Russell, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Bridge -- MB-04FC4B3E7119BB1B - Taken by FauX. 4 entrants total.
Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars -- MB-B5F2D0DD0C7844E3 - Taken by MillionStabs. 3 entrants total.
Terraria -- MB-CD87033D38072F6D - Taken by Cozmogramma. 1 entrants total.
Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-475E1F04B45BFCCC - Taken by Alduin. 2 entrants total.
Solar Flux -- MB-47A5C1224F4D28DC - Taken by Mengy. 2 entrants total.
CastleMiner Z -- MB-9F044D2A673C8FFC - Taken by NingenJanai. 5 entrants total.
VVVVVV -- MB-4AA3C6514E301CE9 - Taken by devo1989. 5 entrants total.

t1411449162z1.png

derExperte

Also, anyone have an opinion on Ironclad Tactics? I remember being interested when it was first released but it sort of fell off my radar. Looks like it's due for bundling but 75% off is a bit tempting.

Hard as nails and very reliant on luck. I played a few mission with The_Monk months ago which was great fun but we didn't come very far.

Lomax

Hard as nails and very reliant on luck. I played a few mission with The_Monk months ago which was great fun but we didn't come very far.

Eh, hard and also luck dependent seems like a recipe for frustration. Guess I'll just wait for a bundle then. Thanks for the info :)

I think it's best to let a few days pass so that all the hilarious jokesters and meme artists can get the curator bug out of their system before we start taking it seriously.

Accoun

For those that missed the System Shock 1 dev playthrough yesterday and have trouble with twitch's rather horrible player (Accoun? ;), they're now archived on youtube

I actually watched it, since I moved to my netbook for a while (it worked terribly though) and other video quality options appeared after some time (worked perfectly afterwards). But since it was late at night (I think I went to sleep at around 4 AM and they were still quite early?) I haven't seen all of it, leave alone the beginning. So, thanks. ;-)

God damn this discovery queue sucks. I've got like a 98% not interested ratio.

That's my exact percentage after 500 titles viewed.

I'm stopping now.

Gone Home
"Rarely do you find a story so well told, expertly voice acted and as well executed like in this game. Best of Indies 2013, see link."

Only took one game to keep me away.

Don't be one of those. Gone Home is excellent.

I just wouldn't pay $20 on it.

Jawmuncher

I'm stopping now.

My biggest issue is I have a lot of stuff that I don't want to put as Bad but not important enough to put as follow.

I'm stopping now.

Don't be one of those. Gone Home is excellent.

I just wouldn't pay $20 on it.

I played was not a fan of it at all. Was glad I didn't pay 20 but that wasn't the issue.
I appreciated the story it tried to tell, but I sure don't think it did so masterfully. I think it gets a huge pass from the masses just because of the subject matter more than anything.
It was just ok in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom