• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sendou

Valve, I don't like, want, or have any interest in MMOs. Stop making that the only thing that shows up in my queues. 20+ games, and it still hasn't learned. I hate MMOs.

I'm pretty sure the system takes nothing from you clicking "Not interested" other than it won't show you that game anymore. It won't affect the list of games you see otherwise.

Blablurn

It's crazy how fast even cards from minor games are getting sold. The market still moves pretty quick. In the meanwhile I'm happy it is like that. I got around 4 bucks so far. And when it's all said and done I can buy FF XIII for a reasonable price :3

DiscoJer

Wow, that gradient background on the new Steam is ugly. Reminds me of the old VGA days, where the night sky would be about 8 bands of dark blue, about 20 pixels high each. Not as bad as that, but still glaring.

aku:jiki

Here I am, newly arrived at work, naively thinking that there's no way Steam can ever get uglier... Lawd have mercy. They're kidding with that low-res, compression-artifact-bonanza gradient background, right?

Vibranium

Banned
I figure Valve will fix things over time, so I'll let other people discuss the new storefront, the Steam forums are going nuts.

I will say that I would like the option to disable curators and recommendations, because I can find things on my own.

dmix90

Not a fan of the new look, well, I guess I'll eventually get used to it.
I really hope its not a final version of stylesheet. My eyes are bleeding. I mean even this transition from head to store body......kill me. I think it atleast should be a smooth gradient color transition.
zFJmznU.png

Jimrpg

I really hope its not a final version of stylesheet. My eyes are bleeding. I mean even this transition from head to store body......kill me. I think it atleast should be a smooth gradient color transition.
zFJmznU.png

Looks fine to me...

its just a transition...

also these transitions are all over the front store page.

Echoplx

zFJmznU.png

Uh I hate that new menu bar too, looks like someone clicked and dragged their mouse over it to highlight it :lol

Because I play Dota 2 Steam is recommending every single piece of shit free to play game there is on the platform. I've literally shot down over 100 recommendations and it doesn't appear to be tuning what it offers me in the queue, it just keeps adding more f2p games and they're looking worse and worse. It's the majority of what my queue is. I can't filter these f2p games out--just early access, linux, mac, unreleased and windows--so this feature is probably going to go as unused as Greenlight until they tune and improve. Which with Valve, that's honestly a crapshoot.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
The new Steam Storefront UI is insane, I am finding myself spending loads of time just on Steam just browsing through different pages and sections.

I think Valve nailed it with the UI update this time, its insanely user friendly.

aku:jiki

My most-played games are Binding of Isaac, Hero Siege, Prime World: Defenders, Risk of Rain and Rogue Legacy... Apparently, this means that I'd love to play Garry's Mod, Space Engineers, DayZ, CSGO and all the other usual shit they advertise all the damn time. I have to scroll down like 10 pages to start seeing games that are actually applicable to what I like.

And one of my top categories is "anime games". I am so offended that I'm about to rage quit.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Time to try and monopolize the horror curator scene. In a land of terror and fear, my insight is law.

I'm not going to get very far.

Oh god, my tag is becoming more true.

Wok

Steam Greenlight has taken over the Steam store. Steam even remembers games which I was not interested in before they got greenlit.

wZXVoOR.png

I like the fact these games won't pollute the Steam store homepage during sales.

JustinBB7

Interesting update, can't look at it much now because I have to work but I'll play around with it when I'm back.

Curator stuff seems fun.

Saty

New store is cool. They even have search by multiple tags. Now all i need them to put is the ability to see how friends tagged games. That's how to surface useful non-obvious descriptions.

Where can I tell Steam to stop recommending me certain genres like co-op and MMOs?

e: It's a bit disappointing that the profile and activity part still has the old design. And did they update Webkit in the client itself?

Dr Dogg

While this whole Curator feature is a good idea in practice its execution is sloppy at best. I do not want to be seeing recommendations from people I couldn't give a hoot about. Even more so when you got professional outlets and commentators using it as a proxy to direct traffic to their outlet. I appreciate folks want to read/watch Total Biscuit's view on a potential purchase but I couldn't really care for the guys oppinon to be honest and more so Kotaku's. As much as having a "sush!" button to hide people you don't want to see I'm not going to be doing that for everyone under the sun bar the 5 or 6 people on the planet I do want some views from. Not to mention it's already rife with abuse of the system. Little to no thought has gone into this it appears and that's just from the users end let alone the convoluted sign up procedure.

PriitV

Where can I tell Steam to stop recommending me certain genres like co-op and MMOs?

e: It's a bit disappointing that the profile and activity part still has the old design. And did they update Webkit in the client itself?
The webkit renderer in the client itself was updated a few months ago.

dot

I've been listening to Lights' new album all night. I'm in love ♥

has anyone tried Audiosurf 2 yet? How is it compared to the first? I feel like playing Audiosurf with this album right about now, lol.

Also the new store is so blue...I think i like it? #teamblue4lyfe #dabadee

MD where you at bruh

Vuze

Just woke up to the new Steam design. Like it better than I anticipated from the mock-up screenshots, new features are neat.

Copons

While this whole Curator feature is a good idea in practice its execution is sloppy at best. I do not want to be seeing recommendations from people I couldn't give a hoot about. Even more so when you got professional outlets and commentators using it as a proxy to direct traffic to their outlet.

Yup. My site is not professional, but I'm using the curator feature exactly this way.
Moreso because the actual limit for recommendation writeups in the curator page is so small that I almost have space to write just "10/10 GOAT".

But yeah, I thought it could have been better, more interesting, maybe even monetized. But this way, eh, I'll use it mostly like an additional RSS feed for my site. :(

While this whole Curator feature is a good idea in practice its execution is sloppy at best. I do not want to be seeing recommendations from people I couldn't give a hoot about. Even more so when you got professional outlets and commentators using it as a proxy to direct traffic to their outlet. I appreciate folks want to read/watch Total Biscuit's view on a potential purchase but I couldn't really care for the guys oppinon to be honest and more so Kotaku's. As much as having a "sush!" button to hide people you don't want to see I'm not going to be doing that for everyone under the sun bar the 5 or 6 people on the planet I do want some views from. Not to mention it's already rife with abuse of the system. Little to no thought has gone into this it appears and that's just from the users end let alone the convoluted sign up procedure.

Every Steam related stuff Valve have been doing for while now have been sloppy, half-assed at best.

You still can't hide games you have purchased right?

But I thought I'd join the fun. Most of the curated lists are pretty random and in my opinion missing the point. Even the NeoGAF one has games like Tabletop simulator alongside Metal Gear Rising. Personally I don't see the connection.

Here is a real list of associated games:

http://store.steampowered.com/curator/6858803/

benjipwns

Banned
Someday they should just update to have this pop-up when you launch:
456x300px-LL-23c08074_index.jpeg

Every button can then go to the normal window I suppose, but the internet would freak out.

With this new curator system, how much of a possibility is there that publishers pay to have the number one spot on a curators store? It seems like it could be easy exploited.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
You still can't hide games you have purchased right?

But I thought I'd join the fun. Most of the curated lists are pretty random and in my opinion missing the point. Even the NeoGAF one has games like Tabletop simulator alongside Metal Gear Rising. Personally I don't see the connection.

Here is a real list of associated games:

http://store.steampowered.com/curator/6858803/

That is one of my major complaints with the system at the moment. I want to curate a single page, but have several specifically defined columns for suggestions that fit a certain criteria. Aka "You walk in this one" or "You shoot things, sometimes". More robust/custom than the checkboxes on the side give, and done at my discretion as the curator.

That is one of my major complaints with the system at the moment. I want to curate a single page, but have several specifically defined columns for suggestions that fit a certain criteria. Aka "You walk in this one" or "You shoot things, sometimes". More robust/custom than the checkboxes on the side give, and done at my discretion as the curator.

Yeah it is very heavily weighted towards "hey I saw this guys videos on the interwebs! I want to play games that he plays" without any real thought behind it.

Which to me is a start, but also a shame. And it isn't like Valve is known for taking a good "start" and quickly improving things.

But I guess another source of revenue for Total Biscuit isn't a bad thing. Well not for him anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom