• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnrealEck

well i was browsing in steam's browser but then i switched to firefox
how did u fix it then?

*happened again...

When it says 'oops', click on the 'home' link.
Then you can start another queue.
You'll get another 'oops' but if you click on the 'home' link again it takes you back to the store front and you'll see a new queue read to start.

I'm not exactly not interested, I just have no time for all I'm interested in!

Ahh. I don't think there's a button for that.
If you just click 'next' without checking 'not interested' it will eventually show back up I think.

Sendou

Because if they added a few features it would be useful?

It seems to me it's already plenty useful. Not perfect obviously but it's pretty good. You're acting like it's completely useless to anything but boosting the viewer counts of some YT celebs but I just can't agree with that at all.

What kind of features do you think should be added?

Haunted

With this new curator system, how much of a possibility is there that publishers pay to have the number one spot on a curators store? It seems like it could be easy exploited.
100%

If you want to follow a curator, pick wisely.

For example, I know exactly what kind of games devolver digital will recommend, and I'm fine with that. :p

UnrealEck

100%

If you want to follow a curator, pick wisely.

For example, I know exactly what kind of games devolver digital will recommend, and I'm fine with that. :p

That's one reason I'm not using it. It's even more offputting with the recent shitstorm surrounding gaming journalism lately.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I haven't checked any Curator pages yet, but my biggest gripe right now is not being able to tell Steam that those tags they're recommending me are horseshit. I insta-skip almost 99% of any MMO, Multiplayer-focused and Strategy games, I wish they didn't show up at all :/

It really should let you "no interest" more than a limit. Or exclude "genres"/tags that people/Valve is using for things.

Valve has an "Indie" tag for indie devs. I don't want to see Indie games in my "discovery" view. Therefore... why can't I remove those?

Same for "Walking Simulator" or other tags. This was one thing I was hoping the user-created tag system was going to solve: Being able to filter out certain things, but that was used for trollish/comedy purposes to where it didn't solve the issue of filtering things you aren't interested in out easily to where the store will "float" things you're interested in "up."

To be honest: I have no interest in the curation system. I simply want the store page to 1) show me AAA/Console ports and the DLC for that and 2) sales for said AAA console ports.

Now, with the new store page, I have to wade down two or three rows to actually find the "specials"/deals of the day and possibly week longs if Valve moves it from the first row. Why is this?

Haunted said:

Honestly, if Devolver and other publishers just curate their own titles, I'd probably "care" enough to subscribe to those curation pages simply because it'd be easier to find publishers titles that way than Store's freaking front-page. :/

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like the fact that curators' reviews appear on the top of the game store page, even though I'm not following them. They should be located besides regular users' reviews, way down the page.

I care about a random curator's opinion just as much as I do a random user's, which is to say, not too much. I may give it a quick read if I'm looking for impressions on a game, but I don't want that to be the first thing I see when entering the page.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Scroll to the bottom of the page. It's a bit buggy at the moment, just like the entire update :p

That's Enhanced Steam. Valve's implementation splits results among pages of up to 25 listings. Continuous scrolling is really something that Valve should have pinched from ES, or at the very least you should be able increase the per-page result amount.

You're acting like it's completely useless to anything but boosting the viewer counts of some YT celebs but I just can't agree with that at all.

capturel5uaq.png

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
That's Enhanced Steam. Valve's implementation splits results among pages of up to 25 listings. Continuous scrolling is really something that Valve should have pinched from ES, or at the very least you should be able increase the per-page result amount.

well, they had to leave SOMETHING for jshackles to work on further ;) they already nicked like 60-70% of ES features for this update :p

I hoped that the curator pages would be like individual little store pages (like the steam homepage) where titles could be individually promoted and highlighted, and people could basically design it like they wanted (with limitations).

I don't really see the point of them right now, it feels like looking through a persons wishlist only with more filters. Is there any incentive for curators to make pages right now (except gettiing people to watch your YT content)?

...Oh.

Weird, in any case.
The game is available on PC, PS3, PS4 and Vita. It's probably because the series is only popular in Japan and Chinese speaking countries, and since Japanese are not so fond of PC, KOEI targeted at the Chinese speaking crowds instead (can't be arsed to add Japanese depot).

Dr Dogg

I dunno, I'm basically recommending every single game my site positively reviewed, just so the occasional reader browsing games on Steam could sumble upon our link, thinking "Oh look, Copons' site talked about this game!", hoping that either he buys a good game or he clicks through to our site.

But for now, eh, I dunno. I was eagerly waiting for this feature, but I'm kinda sad about how much it's half assed.
If only they allowed longer recommendations (152 characters FFS) and a way to order games (aka "CURATE" :D )...

I'm a bit busy right now so sorry if this is a bit brief but that's not curation that's just recomendation. Curating content takes a lot more time and effort than just saying "hey here's everything positive I have to say about stuff". Regards to Total Biscuit, it's not mandated to link to an external site and while the likes of Jim Sterling seems to have put up a bunch of games he likes and only linked where he's reviewed the title (about less than half of his recommendations) every single one of Total Biscuit's recommendations has some flowery text and a link to his YouTube video. That alone says to me how this is being misused even in the early days.

Try using your words mate.

Some say a picture says a thousand of them.

In this case, TB gets to appear front and centre on the CS:GO page, with a link to his video because... other people follow him.

I'm guessing you are a big fan or something and so don't want to see the issue. I would think it is pretty obvious where the current system will lead and there is real benefit in return beyond making it easier to view a wishlist.

I hoped that the curator pages would be like individual little store pages (like the steam homepage) where titles could be individually promoted and highlighted, and people could basically design it like they wanted (with limitations).

I don't really see the point of them right now, it feels like looking through a persons wishlist only with more filters. Is there any incentive for curators to make pages right now (except gettiing people to watch your YT content)?

I hoped that too.

Sendou

I'm a bit busy right now so sorry if this is a bit brief but that's not curation that's just recomendation. Curating content takes a lot more time and effort than just saying "hey here's everything positive I have to say about stuff". Regards to Total Biscuit, it's not mandated to link to an external site and while the likes of Jim Sterling seems to have put up a bunch of games he likes and only linked where he's reviewed the title (about less than half of his recommendations) every single one of Total Biscuit's recommendations has some flowery text and a link to his YouTube video. That alone says to me how this is being misused even in the early days.

I agree that maybe Steam Curator is not the best term for it. I also agree that they might want to consider adding a feature where "curators" would have bigger control over a specific place which consists of games they recommend. Then again I'm not sure how that would have to be executed. That's a lot more work and in the end though.

That said I find it hard to consider that misuse.

In this case, TB gets to appear front and centre on the CS:GO page, with a link to his video because... other people follow him.

I'm guessing you are a big fan or something and so don't want to see the issue. I would think it is pretty obvious where the current system will lead and there is real benefit in return beyond making it easier to view a wishlist.

I'm not a big fan of TB or anything. I don't really have strong feelings towards him the either way. I'm a fan of this store update from what I've seen though. It's still the early days of this feature and I think many things will change. One of those being who appears on those store pages. Of course the curators you follow are prioritized but beyond that.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Can I just say that I wouldn't even have noticed the tiny curator thing at the bottom of the game pages if you guys wouldn't talk about it?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Try using your words mate.
Literally the first 7 words: "My video is way out of date". This is not Youtube, why does his video matter? And why does that appear on top of my store screen? I'm not following him, and I don't care about his opinion more than your average Steam user's, as I said before.

This is simply free publicity for the guy. You can't argue with that, when it's the first thing you see in the store page, right below the screenshots and purchase button.

Arthea

I'm totally going to do Curator thing and pimp games that mixes genres, and nobody cares about but me, if I'm not too lazy to do that, which I probably am (><)

Saty

As Curators go, i don't find it helpful if it's a website review articles dumped into that page. The whole point for me is to follow a person\outlet that specializes in one type of games or a narrow segment of genres and sub-genres and only that under that one Curator account so it will be my go-to person for those type of games. I don't need a Curator that is just a website that plays and reviews the newest games.

And yeah, you really should be able to write a proper review under that page rather than one sentence recommendation.

Can I just say that I wouldn't even have noticed the tiny curator thing at the bottom of the game pages if you guys wouldn't talk about it?

I just clicked on some random page to check it out and saw this
dvM1neB.png

I like it.

But serious question, does anybody think they'll be getting some use out of the curator system like it is right now? I'm pretty sure I know of 95% of the content on Steam that I'm interested in and the other 5% probably isn't worth searching for. But then again, I'm most likely not the main target for this update. Also, things might change once everybody can put their shitty games on Steam, but I don't see how the current system will be any help with that either.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I just clicked on some random page to check it out and saw this
dvM1neB.png

I like it.

But honest question, does anybody think they'll be getting some use out of the curator system like it is right now? I'm pretty sure I know of 95% of the content on Steam that I'm interested in and the other 5% probably aren't worth searching for. But then again, I'm most likely not the main target for this update. Also, things might change once everybody can put their shitty games on Steam, but I don't see how the current system will be any help with that either.

Ponpo?

Also I already don't read any reviews on games and pick things I know I will like or wait on things I'm unsure and watch live streams to decide if I want it. The curator thing is just another thing I'll ignore.

Sendou

Literally the first 7 words: "My video is way out of date". This is not Youtube, why does his video matter? And why does that appear on top of my store screen? I'm not following him, and I don't care about his opinion more than your average Steam user's, as I said before.

This is simply free publicity for the guy. You can't argue with that, when it's the first thing you see in the store page, right below the screenshots and purchase button.

I just didn't see how that picture is an answer to my post at all.

I don't think it's such a big deal if at the end of the day guys like TB will get more clicks on their channel because they appear on Steam. The issue comes if TB appears on too many store pages. That's something Valve should fix obviously. I'm not sure how they should figure out what curators to prioritize. Just using number of followers is obviously not enough.

What I think bothers me most of all is the like says "Read the full review" not "Watch the full video"

Come on Valve, you can't even let people abuse the fuck out of it properly!

Arthea

Ponpo?

Also I already don't read any reviews on games and pick things I know I will like or wait on things I'm unsure and watch live streams to decide if I want it. The curator thing is just another thing I'll ignore.

I'm opposite of you, under no any circumstances I would watch streams of a game if there is even slight possibility I'll play it. So, I read reviews, there are several steamgafers which reviews I read for example and they usually are spot on too.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

The take on the Curators referrals, must be Steams idea of One Stop Store and more exposure to reviews from Popular Entities.

I won't lie, but this will turn out to be more helpful for people who are planning to purchase such a game and they would need views from multiple perspective over it. With Steam acting as a sort of intermediary between game reviews from user base and reviewers at the same time.

Example: For someone who is not following NeoGAF forum thread contents (or not even a NeoGAF member), a NeoGAF Curator page is currently mentioning the article/thread reference as review. Isn't that something!?

Instead of Valve personnel working itself updating all the individual references, Curators take it upon themselves to do the job?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

I'm guessing you are a big fan or something and so don't want to see the issue. I would think it is pretty obvious where the current system will lead and there is real benefit in return beyond making it easier to view a wishlist..

Additionally: There's 144 pages of Curators (at the time of writing) while 20+ pages (Page 119 at the time of writing is when a sea of 0's starts to hit, so yeah... nearly 30 pages of 0's) of them are 0 followers. While some can be "funny" the others are basically public wish lists or advertising their Youtube pages.

I don't think that's what Valve had in mind, yeah?

(Wow and I just ran across 2 followers in a sea of 0's and Valve doesn't even "bump" that above the 0 sea... WTF Valve?

Conversely, the opposite also happens: 0 in a sea of 1+'s. Page 101 at the time of writing)

And I dunno what Valve is intended with this if trying to find a bunch of "good curators" among a sea of "crap" is impossible to filter out. This is the same thing with the store: You can't "drill down" and exclude things and have to wade through a bunch of crap you may not like/care about to find the stuff you do want to see. :/

liezryou

Valve keeps adding all these useless features instead of actually you know... adding useful ones.

Perhaps something like a non-retarded support system. Or a way to block out certain categories/tags from your storefront. Or an innumerable amount of things. Eh it's valve, they too busy rolling in dough to care.

I won't lie, but this will turn out to be more helpful for people who are planning to purchase such a game and they would need views from multiple perspective over it. With Steam acting as a sort of intermediary between game reviews from user base and reviewers at the same time.

Instead of Valve personnel working itself updating all the individual references, Curators take it upon themselves to do the job?

We already have that, it's called metacritic. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

UnrealEck

I hope PewDiePie starts using Steam more and becomes a curator. Then I'm sure there will be a sudden change in tune and everyone will be suddenly seeing where people are coming from with their criticisms of the curator thing.

Nzyme32

That's one reason I'm not using it. It's even more offputting with the recent shitstorm surrounding gaming journalism lately.

I just think I'll take the same caution to it as I do with the rest of games journalism, ie complete and total. I'm certain this will be an issue but I imagine those people will recommend games that people will dislike, and will ultimately knock them back on the list as people lose faith. I am more concerned about visibility of the little indie games that are often found just randomly here on GAF. Will have to wait a few months and see how this pans out, but I imagine Valve are aware of these issues... at least I hope so

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
But serious question, does anybody think they'll be getting some use out of the curator system like it is right now? I'm pretty sure I know of 95% of the content on Steam that I'm interested in and the other 5% probably isn't worth searching for. But then again, I'm most likely not the main target for this update. Also, things might change once everybody can put their shitty games on Steam, but I don't see how the current system will be any help with that either.
No, I'll keep doing what I do now: paying attention to SteamGAF recommendations, and only read random Steam reviews if I'm not convinced about a game and have no idea whether it's good. Not a fan of promoted ads, which is where the curator system seems to be heading.

I just didn't see how that picture is an answer to my post at all.

I don't think it's such a big deal if at the end of the day guys like TB will get more clicks on their channel because they appear on Steam. The issue comes if TB appears on too many store pages. That's something Valve should fix obviously. I'm not sure how they should figure out what curators to prioritize. Just using number of followers is obviously not enough.
You mentioned how Todd believes Steam curation is nothing but a way to increase Youtube views for internet celebrities, and that pic showed just that. There already exists a recommendation system, but those appear at the bottom of the page. People have to actively look for them. These curation "reviews" appear on top, forcing you to see them whether you like it or not.

The fact that TB's curation text starts with a mention of his video speaks volumes of the true purpose of this, in my opinion. Or, if you want me to be a bit less cynical, of the purpose that it will be (mis)used for.

Arthea

Valve keeps adding all these useless features instead of actually you know... adding useful ones.

Perhaps something like a non-retarded support system. Or a way to block out certain categories/tags from your storefront. Or an innumerable amount of things. Eh it's valve, they too busy rolling in dough to care.

Valve is good at metagames, though, you should admit that, and curator thingie can turn to be metagame for many.
Actually this leads to the question, was there anything that valve tried with steam (new feature, I mean), that failed and was removed? I can't remember anything like that.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I'm opposite of you, under no any circumstances I would watch streams of a game if there is even slight possibility I'll play it. So, I read reviews, there are several steamgafers which reviews I read for example and they usually are spot on too.

Well I don't watch the whole thing though just enough to decide if this is something I really do want. I bought Resident Evil 6 after Dusk was streaming it since I thought it looked like dumb fun even though it wasn't something I wanted out of an RE game. (Well it's not like Capcom was catering to that portion of the fan-base anymore anyways.)

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

I fail to see a problem with that. If people like the opinion of this guy, why wouldn't he deserve some publicity? That's basically every review ever. That's why websites write reviews in the first place, to attract users to their site or make them stay.
That you don't follow him and still see should be fixed but you're making this sound like it's a gigantic splash screen over the "Buy" button and not a pretty small window above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom