• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
We already have that, it's called metacritic. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

But Metacritic doesn't sell games, its outside Steam Storefront (Steam everything) and there is no way to verify Users who actually have the games themselves.

Steam does verify users who actually have the game, upto some extent (better than nothing).

Popular Reviewers are generally less than actual number of users who play the games (almost all the time), having user feedback in that case on the site/platform where the games are sold and played gives a more of an average consensus.

Edit: So one can immediately switch between different references of game's information, between Steam Store (publisher) text description, user reviews, curators reviews and much more on the same location where one can purchase the game.

All the while coupled with the existing update to the Storefront UI, which now has much more interactivity with respect to tags and other little enhancements. Its overall helps towards a much better user selection and help with decision making for those who aren't deep or well versed into gaming media/forums/discussions for purchasing and playing games they would have liked to play, noting that there is only a portion of the people who purchase games on the Storefront actually take part in the later (media/forums/discussions/etc).

The store update feels a bit half-baked. Also not a fan of the curator thing. Every popular youtuber is gonna have a quote on every page now. Till Valve or jshackles allow customization over this feature i'll just disable it alltogether.

Thank god for adblock.

Nzyme32

Actually this leads to the question, was there anything that valve tried with steam (new feature, I mean), that failed and was removed? I can't remember anything like that.

Most things have been heavily altered but not removed from what I can recall. I can only think of Steam Chess being a casualty. I miss it so.

liezryou

Valve is good at metagames, though, you should admit that, and curator thingie can turn to be metagame for many.
Actually this leads to the question, was there anything that valve tried with steam (new feature, I mean), that failed and was removed? I can't remember anything like that.

That's actually a really good point. Looking back, most of the features added in the past have actually been quite useful. Steam trading, mobile app, trade offers, tags, workshop, greenlight, reviews, etc.

However you also have these epically worthless features such as activity feed, game community homepages, groups [well in fact i think their whole attempt to make steam into a gaming facebook].

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I fail to see a problem with that. If people like the opinion of this guy, why wouldn't he deserve some publicity? That's basically every review ever. That's why websites write reviews in the first place, to attract users to their site or make them stay.
That you don't follow him and still see should be fixed but you're making this sound like it's a gigantic splash screen over the "Buy" button and not a pretty small window above.
You keep missing my point. We already have recommendations/reviews. I don't want to have a new feature which basically amounts to an ad for a Youtube channel on a game's store page. You really see no problem with a "My video blabla... Oh, by the way, the game's good. [insert video link here]" curation text?

liezryou

To those of you defending curators, this was on my storefront page of The Long Dark:

7mhniuv.png

(Hint: I can't understand French)

Link leads to http://www.gamekult.com/actu/preview-the-long-dark-pc-A137573.html .

But Metacritic doesn't sell games, its outside Steam Storefront (Steam everything) and there is no way to verify Users who actually have the games themselves.

Steam does verify users who actually have the game, upto some extent (better than nothing).

Popular Reviewers are generally less than actual number of users who play the games (almost all the time), having user feedback in that case on the site/platform where the games are sold and played gives a more of an average consensus.

That does not solve the problem of discoverability at all though. You would have almost the same thing if you put a link to metacritic on every store page and/or embedded some reviews. I've never seen someone having a problem getting opinions about a game once they know about it, the problem that Steam suffers from is discovering that content at all. This fixes a problem that didn't even exist before, the user reviews were practically the same thing. Just because you have a big YT channel or following doesn't mean that your opinion automatically carries more weight.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Most things have been heavily altered but not removed from what I can recall. I can only think of Steam Chess being a casualty. I miss it so.

Yeah, the in-built games were ditched once Valve began working on opening up Steam to third parties.

Saty

Oh, so you can have a link to your full review on Steam in the Curator page. Good. The minimum thing gaming websites who open a Curator page should do is copy-paste their site written review into the Curator account.

Nzyme32

You keep missing my point. We already have recommendations/reviews. I don't want to have a new feature which basically amounts to an ad for a Youtube channel on a game's store page. You really see no problem with a "My video blabla... Oh, by the way, the game's good. [insert video link here]" curation text?

But why would anyone choose to follow such an individual? I'm sure plenty of people will do that, but that isn't what I want, so I don't follow them. I agree though that if I choose to follow no one, I don't want to see recommendations and blurb from these people in the first place, so it shouldn't be visible or it should at least be hideable

Arthea

That's actually a really good point. Looking back, most of the features added in the past have actually been quite useful. Steam trading, mobile app, trade offers, tags, workshop, greenlight, reviews, etc.

However you also have these epically worthless features such as activity feed, game community homepages, groups [well in fact i think their whole attempt to make steam into a gaming facebook].

not sure if serious... are you?
Activity feed is one of the best steam features (for me at least), game hubs are plenty useful also. Groups? It can be seen as less useful, I'll admit, but it's still a damn nice thing to have.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

The activity feed isn't bad, though. I agree it's their attempt to make it "Facebook" but if you're wanting to see what your friends bought or the photos they uploaded to their Steam cloud thing, it's immensely more helpful than going through each persons user page for that information.

I do agree the community homepages and groups are awful, though. There's only one (more like two) that I actually joined and that's for benefits that they "give out to the group," which is the Payday community. I couldn't care about the Almir going to Japan or some 24-hour charity stream they spam with that Steam calendar pop-up, yet I'm in it for the free content they give out. :/ It's as bad as Facebook "like" pages.

Sendou

You mentioned how Todd believes Steam curation is nothing but a way to increase Youtube views for internet celebrities, and that pic showed just that. There already exists a recommendation system, but those appear at the bottom of the page. People have to actively look for them. These curation "reviews" appear on top, forcing you to see them whether you like it or not.

The fact that TB's curation text starts with a mention of his video speaks volumes of the true purpose of this, in my opinion. Or, if you want me to be a bit less cynical, of the purpose that it will be (mis)used for.

But it's not just that. It can also be that or more accurately it will most definitely be that. I just don't think it's an issue on its own. If that content is a review (or something similiar to that) then of course you would want to link to that. It's not misuse. "Can I link to my YouTube channel? Absolutely! With each recommendation you make, you can enter a couple hundred characters about why you recommend the title. But we realize that you may already have a great review written on your own website, or a video walkthrough recorded. So, you can also include a link to your own YouTube channel, website, blog, podcast, or tweet." That's what Valve says and looking it like that I just can't see the problem here. Of course TB shouldn't be the default curator to appear on every store page but it's just an issue that should be fixed. It doesn't fundamentally undermine the whole concept. As to when it comes to the curator content appearing on top: well that's where it should be. You are too narrow minded if you think it's just going to be YouTubers taking that spot. It might as well be SteamGAFfers or anything else. The point is that there should be opinions from people you respect. Steam reviews in comparision are more random in that sense. Your friends' reviews show on top but Steam Curators take this whole concept to the next level.

UnrealEck

Activity feed is one of the best steam features (for me at least), game hubs are plenty useful also. Groups? It can be seen as less useful, I'll admit, but it's still a damn nice thing to have.

Yeah I don't even use those things and I can see how they can be useful.
You can see that your friend has aquired a game you own for example. Now you can play together.

Yeah, all of the things he mentioned are pretty cool. I love seeing what people buy on my activity feed and comment on it. It's not revolutionary, but a nice thing to have. Same with game community pages. Actually, both of these impact my purchasing decisions and what content I find on Steam more than the curator pages ever will.

How does the Neogaf curator works?
It takes the review of all the neogaf group members and choose the ones with more positive votes?
btw my new home page is blank

Sendou

Go figure: not every feature can be useful for you. In comparision I have quite enjoyed all of the above.

When it comes to your issue with a French curator comment appearing. That's the kind of early issues that will be fixed soon.

It takes the review of all the neogaf group members and choose the ones with more positive votes?

As far as I know it's just links to official topics. Quite useless in my opinion.

Not really. What I put in the group yesterday was just some test. Put some games I liked in there, thats why there are so many animegames there. But like I said, I just tested how this works and you can directly link to the NeoGAF OTs of the respective games.

If we really want to start a NeoGAF curator group, we should think of a system.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

That's one single incidence and actually pretty fair too. He says his video is outdated, that's not really an advertisment. The game evolves so he actually informs you that his video might not be that usefull anymore so you don't go and watch it and think you know about the current state of the game.
Let's look at another quote
Another of Tell Tales episodic games with QTE combat and light point and click elements. The aesthetic, setting and branching dialogue drew me in

Oh huh, no mention of a video here. Shall we look at another?

"I'm not sure whether to actually recommend this, but it's just bizarre enough of a first person puzzle and narrative game to give a shot. Wacky, yes."

So yeah, if he started every recommendation with "My video is awesome go watch it" I might understand your point. But he doesn't. If this would be a common thing (not only with this TB guy but with others) then it might be a problem. But it isn't.

Arthea

I just noticed that South Park is recommended under JRPG games. I hope this finally settles argument what is JRPG and what is not.
of course it doesn't, I just like this stance (><)

Is there a way to remove the curator category completely from the store page?

you can not follow any?

Copons

Not really. What I put in the group yesterday was just some test. Put some games I liked in there, thats why there are so many animegames there. But like I said, I just tested how this works and you can directly link to the NeoGAF OTs of the respective games.

It would be great to have a SteamGAF curator group, where we could use the OP monthly recommendations (sadly trimmed down to 152 chars).
If anyone wants the (few) responsibilities tied to it, I could curate it, but I don't really know how it goes when doing something with the GAF logo.

I always felt bad about the activity feed. Whenever I happen to look at it, people have been liking my purchases and commenting and stuff.

But I never, ever, think to look at it.

So sorry, not being a dick, just never quite "got it".

Anyway, as things stand, it is just a question if Valve change things before it is abused too much. They probably will so it isn't going to be a big deal.

What could go wrong? Well think in a week when Pewdiepie has 1000000 followers, 80000 of them fake accounts generated so he beats TB to the top spot (this is big business, so don't think there will not be fights over getting to appear on every store page). He now has a branded youtube link on every page with the text "Watch my video ... kthxbye!". For games he doesn't have a video for, he has done a deal with a Russian key seller, so they recommend the game and link to their key seller post on NeoGAF.

Meanwhile there is still no curation actually being done.

Having the ability to choose your games, categorise them and exclude everything else seems like a step too far from the current implementation. For now, the least they could do is increase the text size.

Cerity

Finding the sudden surge in people adding stuff to their wishlist pretty funny. Activity feed entries just got a whole lot longer.

It would be great to have a SteamGAF curator group, where we could use the OP monthly recommendations (sadly trimmed down to 152 chars).
If anyone wants the (few) responsibilities tied to it, I could curate it, but I don't really know how it goes when doing something with the GAF logo.

Yeah. That would be nice. Actually curating and adding this isnt a big task. But time-consuming. For all these 50 recommendations I did yesterday, it took some time, since I am also not a native english speaker, then look for the links to the threads and so on.

Copons

Yeah. That would be nice. Actually curating and adding this isnt a big task. But time-consuming. For all these 50 recommendations I did yesterday, it took some time, since I am also not a native english speaker, then look for the links to the threads and so on.

Yup, that's way to ease the chore I thought of using the monthly recommendations we already have in the OP, with at most a link to the OP itself.
I mean, SteamGAF curation > NeoGAF curation, amirite?

Arthea

That would be good idea, only... I don't think that recommending a game you haven't played makes any sense whatsoever, even if you haven't finished it, it's doubtful, I mean value of such recommendation. That's why I don't think that's how we should roll.
I made steamgaf logo, actually ;)

Sendou

Yup, that's way to ease the chore I thought of using the monthly recommendations we already have in the OP, with at most a link to the OP itself.
I mean, SteamGAF curation > NeoGAF curation, amirite?

I don't know if I would ever follow a concentrated solution. On the other hand I would for sure follow SteamGAFfers as invidual curators.

Saty

There shouldn't be one to begin with. Firstly, all it does is perpetuate the 'GAF Hivemind' mentality. Secondly, who's going to be allowed what games to recommend? Only the group-owner? Then it just becomes that user's recommendation and has nothing to do with GAF. Thirdly, if you're going to let numerous people to pick games it's just turns to a mix of games from random people.

The purpose of Curators in my mind is to have one person or one outlet that are focusing only on one subset of games or genres or type of games and nothing else. I don't want jack-of-all-trades lists. I want a destination for what i consider 'experts' on specific kind of games; my go-to guys.

Have there been any recent platforming games i should check? Let's visit Blow's curator page. Any recent games with notable writing? Let's visit Wolpaw's page. Horror games? There's that Gaf user that's expert on these so let's visit his Curator page. And so on and so on.
I don't need or want your impressions for any new release there is. I can easily gather the info from review sites.

Copons

That would be good idea, only... I don't think that recommending a game you haven't played makes any sense whatsoever, even if you haven't finished it, it's doubtful, I mean value of such recommendation. That's why I don't think that's how we should roll.
I made steamgaf logo, actually ;)

AHAHA oh god I'm totally feeling like an idiot now.

Let me explain: I never read the OP writeups because I very rarely play
buy
games day one, so they're just not useful to me.
And, I always wondered how people could review games without playing them, but then I settled on the fact that people plays beta or EA versions, so I actually thought those writups were proper reviews from people knowing more than me, and not simple presentations. :D

Nzyme32

Would it be more realistic to open up the reviews to all members? I've noticed a few groups that have been doing that. If you don't, it seems you'd run into bandwidth issues as you screen all the reviews, which seems a bit pointless when I generally will value all gaffer opinion. Obviously, you might have to pluck out the guys that do pointless reviews, but that should be trivial in comparison. Also reviews will fall into just a small subset of games that a few are playing rather than be more generalised

Would it be more realistic to open up the reviews to all members? I've noticed a few groups that have been doing that. If you don't, it seems you'd run into bandwidth issues as you screen all the reviews, which seems a bit pointless when I generally will value all gaffer opinion. Obviously, you might have to pluck out the guys that do pointless reviews, but that should be trivial in comparison

Im not even sure how to open reviews to all members. If I go to the curator page it doesnt give me an option to do that.

I hope PewDiePie starts using Steam more and becomes a curator. Then I'm sure there will be a sudden change in tune and everyone will be suddenly seeing where people are coming from with their criticisms of the curator thing.

Or Anita Sarkeesian.

Suddenly, there will be complaints of Steam's complicity, giving her a platform unbidden by the users, accusations of abusing the system, petitions to remove curators...

oipic

I hoped that the curator pages would be like individual little store pages (like the steam homepage) where titles could be individually promoted and highlighted, and people could basically design it like they wanted (with limitations).

This was my hope for this as well - I had imagined a SteamGAF-'curated' page in many ways mimicking Mr O's OP, with rotated featured games and (p)reviews etc from varied GAFfers. A landing place we could direct newcomers to in particular, and somewhere to keep our GOTY results/recommendations handy in the form of a central 'wishlist' of sorts, for example.

There has been very thoughtful discussion going on here today regarding the changes, with good points being well made (Yian and Todd, in particular, I agree with all you've said). Valve must surely have spent many, many man-hours similarly discussing these 'issues' and more, but as with their first iteration of many new features, it's a little half-baked at the moment.

In fairness, tags were messy when first launched, and they've tightened those up to the point that they're quite useful now, but today's changes are much larger and, for now, there appears to be some work to do. I've read all the blurb, but I'm still not certain the implementation matches or facilitates Valve's intended vision.

Go nuts

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ChimpanzeeThat, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-672A89EAC7F179C8 - Taken by Shadownet. 2 entrants total.
Gunpoint -- MB-2D322FCD3542DF0C - Taken by nightstorm. 2 entrants total.
Papers, Please -- MB-39F3AF3D39FB753C - Taken by redlacs. 4 entrants total.

t1411471244z1.png

oDUKmU8.gif

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
But why would anyone choose to follow such an individual? I'm sure plenty of people will do that, but that isn't what I want, so I don't follow them. I agree though that if I choose to follow no one, I don't want to see recommendations and blurb from these people in the first place, so it shouldn't be visible or it should at least be hideable
Hell if I know. Apparently, 67k people did choose to follow said individual.

But it's not just that. It can also be that or more accurately it will most definitely be that. I just don't think it's an issue on its own. If that content is a review (or something similiar to that) then of course you would want to link to that. It's not misuse. "Can I link to my YouTube channel? Absolutely! With each recommendation you make, you can enter a couple hundred characters about why you recommend the title. But we realize that you may already have a great review written on your own website, or a video walkthrough recorded. So, you can also include a link to your own YouTube channel, website, blog, podcast, or tweet." That's what Valve says and looking it like that I just can't see the problem here. Of course TB shouldn't be the default curator to appear on every store page but it's just an issue that should be fixed. It doesn't fundamentally undermine the whole concept. As to when it comes to the curator content appearing on top: well that's where it should be. You are too narrow minded if you think it's just going to be YouTubers taking that spot. It might as well be SteamGAFfers or anything else. The point is that there should be opinions from people you respect. Steam reviews in comparision are more random in that sense. Your friends' reviews show on top but Steam Curators take this whole concept to the next level.
Then you agree with me? It's a system that Valve intended to be free publicity for popular Youtubers/personalities/forums/gaming websites from the beginning. Am I being narrow minded by not wanting recommendations of any kind near the top of the page?

Besides, as someone already said in this thread, this is a solution to a problem we never had. Finding opinions about a particular game was never an issue (if anything, there's an information overload out there), once you are aware of its existence. The actual problem is discovering that game in the first place, and I don't see how this new system will bring us closer to a solution. There were (or could be) groups with hodden gems before, so this doesn't really change anything.

Not to mention the fact that this puts the spotlight on the writer, instead of on the review itself. Previously, the reviews that were featured on a game's page were those with the most positive votes, but now they will be those belonging to the most popular curators. I don't care who writes it, only if it's useful. Knowing that Youtuber #3 approves of a certain title tells me nothing. Even if I respect those people, they could have already written a Steam review, as many great SteamGAFfers did. With no links to their personal sites, fortunately.

Knurek

I for one can't wait for all those 'Free cialis viagra click here' curators with 100k+ of bot followers showing automatically on all game pages.

Horror games? There's that Gaf user that's expert on these so let's visit his Curator page. And so on and so on.
I don't need or want your impressions for any new release there is. I can easily gather the info from review sites.

Searching for Dusk Golem there and yes, that is a better use. For example, SteamGAF co-voting Rogue Legacy and Bioshock Infinite GOTY says it all. There is just too much variety in tastes to make it useful (which isn't a bad thing in general, but it is for recommendations).

Even if you limit it to monthly releases, that is still just a list of the few games people bothered to write up about. Typically this is a couple of big releases everybody knows about and whatever indie games More_Badass is pushing that week.

To be useful, a curated store needs to let you pick the games, pick the categories and exclude anything else. Basically it needs to work before you get to the games, not after as it currently does.

Otherwise you might as well just use a thread or a website, like we have all been doing for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom