• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alavard

I'm really surprised that under the Curator pages, you have all sorts of filters on the right-hand side, but none of them allow you to filter out games you already own or are on your wishlist. But at the same time, they flag those games in the view itself, which doesn't help cut down the size of the list at all.

Jørdan

I'm really surprised that under the Curator pages, you have all sorts of filters on the right-hand side, but none of them allow you to filter out games you already own or are on your wishlist. But at the same time, they flag those games in the view itself, which doesn't help cut down the size of the list at all.

Yeah, it's not terribly helpful just now. Niche curated stores will be a little easier but it needs work on what categories are available for filtering.

Plus as the devs said it's over 30 days past the release day, which is a pretty standard statute of limitations for returns on consumer products.

I don't believe there is really such a concept in Australia. The important part is notification of the problem once a defect is found. Since it was straight away in this case, it seems fair enough.

Is Valve not giving that option so you see sales and buy copies for friends? It is incredibly annoying.

yuraya

Jørdan;131305217 said:

Procedurally generated Road Rash 2.0 just rocketed to the top of my wishlist.

Same here. I found about it through the discover queue :D Put it on my wishlist immediately because it reminded me of some game I played a lot when I was younger. Can't remember what game tho :p

Jørdan

Same here. I found about it through the discover queue :D Put it on my wishlist immediately because it reminded me of some game I played a lot when I was younger. Can't remember what game tho :p

Haha, you should check out some of the gameplay on Youtube. Thwacking helmets off heads makes it GOTY material.

Lomax

Like I said earlier, if you frequent this thread, these updates are going to be essentially useless to you. We already have a curator named
jasec
SteamGaf, presumably that's why we are here. As such, why people are scrolling through hundreds of recommendations when you know it won't show you anything new mystifies me. It does seem clear that they need to add an opt-out option on things, but I don't think it really came as much of a surprise when Valve launched things in basically a beta state.

Also, no one cares that you hate *insert random internet personality here* it adds nothing to the discussion. Seriously.

Nzyme32

Like I said earlier, if you frequent this thread, these updates are going to be essentially useless to you. We already have a curator named
jasec
SteamGaf, presumably that's why we are here. As such, why people are scrolling through hundreds of recommendations when you know it won't show you anything new mystifies me. It does seem clear that they need to add an opt-out option on things, but I don't think it really came as much of a surprise when Valve launched things in basically a beta state.

Well, except for the fact that it has managed to find around 7 games that I am interested in but didn't know existed. I'm certain steam GAF covered them but I must not have been around to see it. At least there is one use case scenario for me, who also frequents steam GAF regularly

Stitch

Gold Member
Jørdan;131305217 said:

There's a race where hundreds of cars drop from the sky. It's absolutely crazy.

Good, the Big Picture button always looked stupid.

sZzcu7r.png

it's the SC btw. Which brings me to, it's been 4 months since they last talked about the Steam Universe initiative in any official capacity. With this attitude they better not be surprised when it flops :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
idk that seems like a pretty flimsy excuse for a refund to me. No inverted mouse for an MMO is a dealbreaker? It's a bog standard over the shoulder camera. Plus as the devs said it's over 30 days past the release day, which is a pretty standard statute of limitations for returns on consumer products. That much time after launch just seems like sour grapes to me. The 'This support is provided by some crappy third party we outsourced to so don't bitch when they screw up' bit is rich though.

I agree that the issue being game-breaking is certainly debatable, however that's not the point: Valve has always been staunchly against offering post-release refunds (you'll notice that the Valve rep was stressing the pre-order refund feature; I'm not quite sure where you got "Plus as the devs said it's over 30 days past the release day" from) outside of false advertising cases, such as The War Z, however it would seem the ACCC lawsuit has already had the intended effect and Aussie users are now entitled to refunds regardless of whether or not they fall outside of the pre-order period.

legacyzero

Banned
Jørdan;131307737 said:
Definitely worth keeping an eye on it, traveling at speed while you kick a guy of his bike into a canyon has to be one of the coolest things you can do in a video game.
Watching that traffic go all Michael Bay was amazing too.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I just noticed that South Park is recommended under JRPG games. I hope this finally settles argument what is JRPG and what is not.
of course it doesn't, I just like this stance (><)

you can not follow any?

Steam forces you to view "curators" regardless of if you follow someone or not. It's complete bullshit. There should be an option within the client to remove the entire curator category completely or move it to the bottom of the page, this should be an option for the review and update sections also.

if you have stylebot you can with this:
Code:
.apps_recommended_by_curators_ctn .home_page_content {
    display: none;
}

.steam_curators_block {
    display: none;
}

is faster and use less resources than adblock

<3

"So, you can also include a link to your own YouTube channel, website, blog, podcast, or tweet." That's what Valve says and looking it like that I just can't see the problem here.

Does that mean we can also include a link to meatspin dot com?

Edit: Yeah, I don't want that hyperlinked.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I think the curator system is meant to be used as the two options people have described already. It's not one or the other. It's both.

Do you like a famous youtuber or gaming blog whose reviews you already use to know what games are worth or not? Well, now you can see directly their recommendations on Steam.

Do you want to use a expert on TBS games as curator for that type of games when you are interested in buying that new turn based game that was just released? Ok, do it.

The two options aren't exclusionary.
The problem is that you could already do that, in the form of Steam recommendations tied to a specific user profile and Steam groups. This doesn't bring anything new to the table; it's just putting together tools that were already available and sticking them to the top of the store pages, along with a link to the writer's personal site.

Actual curation would have been allowing people to create a custom storefront while hiding unwanted games, highlighting some titles and such. The idea was probably good, but I think the current implementation has nothing to do with that.

Batman Blackgate is such a solid fucking game. I'm struggling to figure out why it got shat on so hard when released, outside of the map being Fez-like in its quizzical design. The game has a interesting approach in that there are 3-4 major hubs, each with a batman villain running the show, and you can start from any of the major hubs and work from there. Also, there's something to be said in regards to showing some restraint as far as the amount of gadgets go. I don't care for fighting with my 360 dpad in order to try selecting an item 2-3 times.

So, yeah, i can safely recommend Blackgate to those looking for a decent metroidvania, and especially so to those who have liked the recent batman games. It's not the best metroidvania i've played on Steam (that honor belongs to Guacamelee) but it's also not the worst (Strider 2014, middling and mostly meh).

Braag

I kinda hate the new layout but that's probably cause the whole store page looks a little too busy. I also hate how it keeps showing me games "recommended for me". I don't need Steam to recommend me games, I know what I want. I liked it more when they featured new games on the front page, it's easier to get lost in all the shovelware now.

/rant

MayMay

Banned
I just watched the Triad Wars video. Not sure what they were thinking :(

I cant believe they developed this game - did they not somehow expect everyone to hate it? They teased the game over a year ago, and now it turns out to be.. this online f2p garbage instead of a proper Sleeping Dogs sequel?
Yeah.. they should've known lol.

hitoshi

have fun

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hitoshi, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Tropico 3 -- MB-F60B9C8F22CBA24A

Saty

Jørdan;131305217 said:

Tagged as 'Vehicular Combat'. I'm surprised that tag doesn't exit. Help me spread it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Followed both of you, nice lists
thanks baby <3

The Recommended For You part of the Steam Store is so good. I mean, look at this awesome recommendation just for me:

Steam please.
steam's getting more passive aggressive every day lol

I kinda hate the new layout but that's probably cause the whole store page looks a little too busy. I also hate how it keeps showing me games "recommended for me". I don't need Steam to recommend me games, I know what I want. I liked it more when they featured new games on the front page, it's easier to get lost in all the shovelware now.

/rant
you can just disabled the "recommended for you" games from your feature list thingie

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I just watched the Triad Wars video. Not sure what they were thinking :(

DEV 1: "The publisher said we have to make a F2P game bases on our pervious work."

DEV 2: "Is there anyone else willing to sign a contract?"

DEV 1: "No."

DEV 2: "Okay then. Any other conditions?"

DEV 1: *Checks memo and begins to read*: "...Give points for accomplishing mundane tasks because everyone deserves a trophy for participating because mediocrity should be celebrated!."

*Squints eyes*: "...someone scribbled 'breaking windows' next to that last one."

DocSeuss

It's my birthday now, so celebrate. I demand it. Dance, my minions, daaaaance

I gotta go suffer through eight hours of classes now.

DEV 1: "The publisher said we have to make a F2P game bases on our pervious work."

DEV 2: "Is there anyone else willing to sign a contract?"

DEV 1: "No."

DEV 2: "Okay then. Any other conditions?"

DEV 1: *Checks memo and begins to read*: "...Give points for accomplishing mundane tasks because everyone deserves a trophy for participating because mediocrity should be celebrated!."

*Squints eyes*: "...someone scribbled 'breaking windows' next to that last one."

I dunno why that's so bad. If you have a mission to smash stuff, like, say, in Saints Row or whatever, it's seen as fine.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Damn discovery queue. I don't want to remove specific genres and titles completely from my interests just because I happen to own the game outside of Steam. We need a fourth button, "Already own elsewhere".

Also the amount of open world survival games? I haven't even heard of most of these and have zero interest in any of them. I knew about the ten or so most popular games but seems like every other game in the discovery queue is another one of these.
Yeah, if I see the words "survival" or "crafting" I'm automatically clicking Not interested. I'll probably do the same with "roguelike" soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom