• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant believe they developed this game - did they not somehow expect everyone to hate it? They teased the game over a year ago, and now it turns out to be.. this online f2p garbage instead of a proper Sleeping Dogs sequel?
Yeah.. they should've known lol.

I suspect this is their publisher trying to get in on the F2P craze.

Is it wrong that I want this curator to show up on every store page so that it lights a fire under Valve's ass to fix this nonsense?

derExperte

Copons

Yeah it really would be... *hint hint*

But through ES it would be only for the curator itself and at best for other ES users, though. :(

...reason why I don't use the custom profile background feature, but UI inconsistencies in curator pages could be much worse!

EDIT: thanks a lot to anyone who followed my list! Love you!
(also I'm updating it as we speak!)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Jørdan;131305217 said:

Procedurally generated Road Rash 2.0 just rocketed to the top of my wishlist.

Man, I loved Road Rash back in the day. This game looks great already, even in early access.

Eagerly wishlisted, but waiting til release to see how it pans out.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Batman Blackgate is such a solid fucking game. I'm struggling to figure out why it got shat on so hard when released, outside of the map being Fez-like in its quizzical design. The game has a interesting approach in that there are 3-4 major hubs, each with a batman villain running the show, and you can start from any of the major hubs and work from there. Also, there's something to be said in regards to showing some restraint as far as the amount of gadgets go. I don't care for fighting with my 360 dpad in order to try selecting an item 2-3 times.

So, yeah, i can safely recommend Blackgate to those looking for a decent metroidvania, and especially so to those who have liked the recent batman games. It's not the best metroidvania i've played on Steam (that honor belongs to Guacamelee) but it's also not the worst (Strider 2014, middling and mostly meh).
I liked it enough to 100% it, but the issues I had were that the combat lacked the oomph that the main series has, the detective mode wasn't well implemented because moving a cursor around each environment gets tedious, and the map made route planning unnecessarily difficult. I think the game would have worked better if they had stuck to a 2d plane rather than going for the 2.5d for nifty depth. I do agree that Guacamelee is a better metroidvania. It also has a really nice oomph to it's combat too.

DEV 1: "The publisher said we have to make a F2P game bases on our pervious work."

DEV 2: "Is there anyone else willing to sign a contract?"

DEV 1: "No."

DEV 2: "Okay then. Any other conditions?"

DEV 1: *Checks memo and begins to read*: "...Give points for accomplishing mundane tasks because everyone deserves a trophy for participating because mediocrity should be celebrated!."

*Squints eyes*: "...someone scribbled 'breaking windows' next to that last one."

The worst part is...the premise sounds really awesome for a SP Sleeping Dogs 2. Add in the F2P MMO and, yeah. I'm out.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
But through ES it would be only for the curator itself and at best for other ES users, though. :(

...reason why I don't use the custom profile background feature, but UI inconsistencies in curator pages could be much worse!

One of the nice things (that I've been wanting / asking Valve to do for years) is to properly ID each element on the app pages so that Enhanced Steam can let people customize exactly what they'd like to see on the page. I could never do this on the old app pages, because if Valve ever changed or moved an element it would break that functionality.

Now, each page on the element is properly identified, so I can add customization options to the page. Don't want to see the "Curators Recommend..." box with PewDePie, PC Gamer, and other curators you don't follow in the middle of the page? Now you won't have to.

Of course, this is the sort of stuff that I can't wait to dive into after I'm done fixing the existing features.

REV 09

I like that the new UI is personalized for my tastes, but they sure did a great job at making it unattractive. I don't like all this blue in my Steam....and who uses gradients?

ConceptX

I was wondering when they were going to update the UI after the Steam icon randomly became a shade of blue.

I'm actually loving the new look. Though I feel profiles need updated too.

It seems that the change to the tag system worked, my recommendations now are much closer to what would be an informed recommendation. Also like that you can "hide" games in queue, not interested etc.

I love that it now tells you a summery of reviews on the store page, how many reviews, what % are positive etc, over 95% overwhelmingly positive etc, that might of been there before but I never noticed it, it's certainly useful.

Can't say I love that you can't just scroll through top sellers by 10 at a time and instead have to go to a new page, but that's seriously just a minor inconvenience.

Overall a good update in my view.

madjoki

I hope we get option to hide/report certain curators.
There seems to be non-english curators and some useless like that "Is it postal".

(Not that there shouldn't be non-english, but I don't read Thai at all, so they are useless for me).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It seems like one of the biggest complaints I got over night was people really not liking this section. It seems like a pretty boneheaded move by Valve to show curators on this section that you don't follow, but even more boneheaded that it shoes curators who write reviews in other languages:

VhOv3Hc.png

Congrats on the new Patreon Milestone by the way (none-too-subtle hint to everyone who hasn't had a look in yet)

Thanks! It might be a week or two before I can complete that "new server" milestone though.

Playing Go! Go! Nippon...

I really have to wonder if the writer of the game even went abroad one time. The protagonist acts like every ordinary thing doesnt exist outside of Japan.
"This is... a train station! Wow. It has little shops and restaurants!"
"A vending machine! I dont think youd find that anywhere but Japan."
"A convenience store? Its open that late???"

Wat?

Edit: Actually it feels like the protagonist is a huge weeaboo. "A tatami room! SOOO GREAT! Its my dream to stay in a Tatami Room!"

No one is bitching. This is a discussion, constructive criticism about how Valve yet again implemented something half-baked. Something that they apparently have put a lot of thought behind to solve the biggest problem Steam had in recent year (discoverability, curation), but currently it doesn't help that situation at all and is getting abused.

I find it interesting how everyone is focusing on the new curation thing, but in terms of discoverability, they've switched the "new releases" tab to "POPULAR new releases." You have to click a button to find all new releases now. Those who have little will have less, it seems.

Jawmuncher

I really have to wonder if the writer of the game even went abroad one time. The protagonist acts like every ordinary thing doesnt exist outside of Japan.

Wat?

I still enjoyed the main character for how ridiculous he was. To me it added to the fact that he was just that excited to travel over there.

Ezalc

It seems like one of the biggest complaints I got over night was people really not liking this section. It seems like a pretty boneheaded move by Valve to show curators on this section that you don't follow, but even more boneheaded that it shoes curators who write reviews in other languages:

VhOv3Hc.png

Hey Jshackles, whenever I go to a store page the little green ball next to the price doesn't show up anymore. But if I hover my mouse over it the other regional prices still appear. Is this something that has been happening to anybody else?

I still enjoyed the main character for how ridiculous he was. To me it added to the fact that he was just that excited to travel over there.

He is far tooo excited. He reminds me of those "new" anime-fans that travel to Japan and think the whole country is the country where milk and honey flows. He feels like someone who wouldnt shut up about it *lol*

Jørdan;131311850 said:
That's disappointing to hear, have you had a chance to play it yet?
Sure, I've played a couple of hours of the current build. The project's been lacking a vision of their own ever since that fuzzy kickstarter, I wouldn't be surprised if their design document, if they even have one, just consists of a bunch of forum posts. It's a mess and it's probably far beyond redemption at this point.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It seems like one of the biggest complaints I got over night was people really not liking this section. It seems like a pretty boneheaded move by Valve to show curators on this section that you don't follow, but even more boneheaded that it shoes curators who write reviews in other languages.
This has been driving me up the wall with the Steam community guides. It's constantly filled wi Russian language guides that are absolutely meaningless to me and make it harder to find the guides I need.

Wat?

Edit: Actually it feels like the protagonist is a huge weeaboo. "A tatami room! SOOO GREAT! Its my dream to stay in a Tatami Room!"

is GAF user dot still around? I wonder how much he enjoyed this game

lukiluk

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (lukiluk, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Tropico 3 -- MB-2035BB595BD3E4FB

I liked it enough to 100% it, but the issues I had were that the combat lacked the oomph that the main series has, the detective mode wasn't well implemented because moving a cursor around each environment gets tedious, and the map made route planning unnecessarily difficult. I think the game would have worked better if they had stuck to a 2d plane rather than going for the 2.5d for nifty depth. I do agree that Guacamelee is a better metroidvania. It also has a really nice oomph to it's combat too.

The combat is kinda weird in that even once you acknowledge the weird 2.5D nature of the planes and get over that hump, it also seems to be based on Arkham Asylum's combat system and AFAIK (i'm about 4-5 hours into the game) it doesn't have any of the improvements that were made in Arkham City. Maybe Origins is the same way, but i haven't played it and i doubt it that its combat would be a step back from City's.

Also, while i like the open ended nature of the game, it also kinda screwed me over a bit. I decided to fight (boss spoiler)
the penguin
as soon as i could and just spent half an hour trying to get past the second stage of that fight. Finally, i tapped out and decided to try it later down the line as it seemed impossible to pull off at that time, with the equipment i had. Still, i admire that the game even lets you try that battle out, but it really could used some sort of prompt stating that perhaps the Bat should come back when he's got more tools available to him.

Annubis

Wat?

It's a not a convenience store, it's a konbini. Totally different dude.
One of them is in a Japan and the other isn't.

I totally agree with you about the protagonist

Sini

Hey Jshackles, whenever I go to a store page the little green ball next to the price doesn't show up anymore. But if I hover my mouse over it the other regional prices still appear. Is this something that has been happening to anybody else?
You can enable and disable it in ES options.
Why do you want that green globe anyway? It's ugly and out of place.

Jørdan

You have to click a button to find all new releases now. Those who have little will have less, it seems.

True, it is my preference to have newest releases featured - at least the tab is selected by default rather than the top sellers as before -that extra click to all new releases brings new sorting functions which are great.

Sure, I've played a couple of hours of the current build. The project's been lacking a vision of their own ever since that fuzzy kickstarter, I wouldn't be surprised if their design document, if they even have one, just consists of a bunch of forum posts. It's a mess and it's probably far beyond redemption at this point.

Damn, that's heartbreaking. Really looks promising too, thanks for the heads-up I'll be sure to cast a more critical eye.

It might be tricky in the client yet on the web it should be easy to allow a sort function similar to the store allowing owned games to be sorted by genre and tags. So far the my games page under community has sort by name and playtime, it could be more meaningful and informative.

jshackles

Valve announcing a monetization plan for curators :D
It will happen, you know it.

The sad reality is that they don't need to. The popular curators with tens and hundreds of thousands of followers will have an enormous sway on the content that's presented to users on the home page. I've seen first hand what developers and publishers are willing to pay for this space, so now you're going to have to ask yourself "Was (this curator | PewDePie | PC Gamer Magazine | etc) paid to write a favorable review of this game so that it would show up on the home page of Steam for so many people?

SEO on my Steam?
What is SEO?
---
That "change your life" announcement might not be bullshit after all.
So, did you mean the store change after all or did something change behind the curtains?
---
Great choice! But I have to admit, since he went Hollywood he mostly plays cliche funny guy #9872. His Britain tenure was the best imo. Still love Shaun of the Dead above any his US works.
---
If anyone cares, I updated the neogaf indie games curator group with the first 46 titles:
http://store.steampowered.com/curator/4626771
5 AM now though, so I really should be in bed.
Love you Toma! You're doing great work on the indie front. I really should visit your thread more often :/
---
hey guys ... I've got some VERY good news for you :)
2014-09-23_04-56-55.jpg
Woot! Chances are increasing more and more.
---
It's my birthday now, so celebrate. I demand it. Dance, my minions, daaaaance
Happy birthday, man! Treat yourself to a nice game today!
---
The Weeklong page is so much nicer. They even tell you how the game is reviewing.
Yup, it's better. But I can't deny it being very similar looking to GOG's deal page?!
---
Oh dear.
Every time a curator you're following recommends something, it ends up in your friend activity.
It's going to be a good idea to wait a few days before actually following groups, I think =p
Hm, I just found a couple curators I might follow, but this is very off-putting :/
Guess I'll not use it after all.

I'll just continue my old way of watching friends wishlist/libraries for new stuff.
If I stop doing that I would stop being able to gift fellows out of the spur anyway.

The sad reality is that they don't need to. The popular curators with tens and hundreds of thousands of followers will have an enormous sway on the content that's presented to users on the home page. I've seen first hand what developers and publishers are willing to pay for this space, so now you're going to have to ask yourself "Was (this curator | PewDePie | PC Gamer Magazine | etc) paid to write a favorable review of this game so that it would show up on the home page of Steam for so many people?

Yep that is why we can only trust our unbiased GAF brothers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom