• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblank83

It's funny how there's less information on the store page and it takes more time, clicks, and scrolling to get to information now. And by funny I mean shitty.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

ONE DAY for Ched -- MB-3E48BE4B5BE59F5D - Taken by Kuroyume. 4 entrants total.

t1411483484z1.png

Tizoc

ModBot 2 said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

6180 the moon -- MB-1AEA76E31B218FA1 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 24 entrants total.

t1411493385z1.png

Quote this post for the GMG Welcome Pack content

Procedurally generated Road Rash 2.0 just rocketed to the top of my wishlist.

5 TF2 Keys through various traders. Tempted to get it personally...

Hugstable

Banned
lol I wonder when they are finally gonna get the Final Fantasy IV Trading Cards up. They've been listed on the store page since release but there has been no sign of actual cards in my badges tab yet :(

It's my birthday now, so celebrate. I demand it. Dance, my minions, daaaaance

I gotta go suffer through eight hours of classes now.

I dunno why that's so bad. If you have a mission to smash stuff, like, say, in Saints Row or whatever, it's seen as fine.

Happy Birthday Doc!

FloatOn

Batman Blackgate is such a solid fucking game. I'm struggling to figure out why it got shat on so hard when released, outside of the map being Fez-like in its quizzical design. The game has a interesting approach in that there are 3-4 major hubs, each with a batman villain running the show, and you can start from any of the major hubs and work from there. Also, there's something to be said in regards to showing some restraint as far as the amount of gadgets go. I don't care for fighting with my 360 dpad in order to try selecting an item 2-3 times.

So, yeah, i can safely recommend Blackgate to those looking for a decent metroidvania, and especially so to those who have liked the recent batman games. It's not the best metroidvania i've played on Steam (that honor belongs to Guacamelee) but it's also not the worst (Strider 2014, middling and mostly meh).

I should have bought this instead of the craptastic arkham oranges.

I love a good metroidvania.

Using steam in a browser and it thinks im in russia? how can i fix this? I'm a red-white-and-blue blooded american, gosh darnit

I should have bought this instead of the craptastic arkham oranges.

I love a good metroidvania.

It's been $5 or even less depending where you're looking so pass on that fast food lunch one day and pick it up! At its very least, Blackgate is interesting just to see what a batmanvania game is like as a 2Dish game.

Qtn6Wvf.png

I ain't even mad.

What's weird is the absence of consistency. Storepage has new "blue" design, but my profile, community, market and groups still have the old, "black" one!?

About curators. How can we be sure some won't get "artificially enticed" to feature xy-game? I mean it's already a common tactic with many youtube personalities.
That Gaf group makes no sense though. It's open to addition for everyone basically. For me it's about the taste of one specific person or at least a group which narrows on one/few genre(s) (sport, vn, fps etc.).

What irks me most though is that I still can't easily arrange my wishlist :mad:
Writing hundreds of numbers is tedious and they often mix up wrong in the end. Get working on that Valve!

You know... there's something to be said about modern website design/content when you have to run NoScript, Remove It Permanently (RIP) and Stylebot to have websites be ergonomic.

That it's nice to have those options we didn't have in the past? Well said mate.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So who's going to select all the 500 junk titles individually? Not me!

You don't have to categorise them individually, for what it's worth: you can multi-select by holding down CTRL while clicking.

But my store is already in english, it's just that it thinks i'm in russia. like this:

http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=xx, where xx is your desired country code, although assuming Enhanced Steam is functioning correctly there should be a long red banner towards the top of the page that says "You are using the Steam store for the RU region. Click here to go back to the XX store."

Is this supposed to be not readable?

Not a fan of the daily being so deep under. And the scrolling recommendations are gonna chug my browser.

Too much of the same color. I like blue but there should be some more colors. Orange and blue go well together, right? Why not have some elements orange?

Anyway, it's still very new to me. I'll probably get used to it shortly. And maybe Valve will change stuff.

FloatOn

It's been $5 or even less depending where you're looking so pass on that fast food lunch one day and pick it up! At its very least, Blackgate is interesting just to see what a batmanvania game is like as a 2Dish game.

word. I'm playing RE:Revelations at the moment. I like this nintendo ds port trend.

I'm kind of anti fast food, I catch your meaning though.

PriitV

You don't have to categorise them individually, for what it's worth: you can multi-select by holding down CTRL while clicking.

My bad, what i meant was that who's going to multi-select 500 titles in my library? I remembered that for categories there was depressurizer, hoped there would be something similar for junk bundle games.

Copons

There's a cheap Devil May Cry 4 on GMG, 2.49€ (-75%) at least for us € peeps.
If IsThereAnyDeal isn't lying, it's the cheapest it has ever been.

Sadly, vouchers DON'T work with Playfire credits but, just in case:

QRJ1I6-2SSDU0-LN9UUG brings the price down to 2.12€
SEPTEM-BEROFF-ER25XX to 1.87€

Jawmuncher

Not a fan of the daily being so deep under. And the scrolling recommendations are gonna chug my browser.

Too much of the same color. I like blue but there should be some more colors. Orange and blue go well together, right? Why not have some elements orange?

Anyway, it's still very new to me. I'll probably get used to it shortly. And maybe Valve will change stuff.

Same issue on my side as well.
The text box is all kinds of messed up.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

That's actually Enhanced Steam doing that. It'll be fixed in an update I'm planning on pushing out later today. Valve doesn't even have that text there anymore which still kinda blows my mind as to how anyone finds it useful without it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
My bad, what i meant was that who's going to multi-select 500 titles in my library? I remembered that for categories there was depressurizer, hoped there would be something similar for junk bundle games.

Unfortunately defining a junk bundle game isn't an exact science. ;)

jblank83

The sad reality is that they don't need to. The popular curators with tens and hundreds of thousands of followers will have an enormous sway on the content that's presented to users on the home page. I've seen first hand what developers and publishers are willing to pay for this space, so now you're going to have to ask yourself "Was (this curator | PewDePie | PC Gamer Magazine | etc) paid to write a favorable review of this game so that it would show up on the home page of Steam for so many people?

With direct links to youtube videos and web page reviews, the "curation" (it's not curation) is already de facto monetized. Look, curation (review) quotes are featured directly on store pages along with a user picture large enough to be a recognizable brand logo. What I'm saying is this change isn't about "curation". It isn't about informing you the user about what's out there. It's not even about promoting quality reviews, especially not with the Twitter-like character limited quotes.

It's about allowing gaming media to get its hooks into the Steam economy.

Will there be a couple of startup standouts from the community, like Skeleman or NeoGAF? Yes, but those are going to be minor blips on a radar buried underneath the weight of TotalBiscuit, PC Gamer, PewdiePie and the like.

Again, if this was a choice, it would be fine. People who want to have "curator" reviews shoved in their face, along with not just one "recommended for you" section but a second one as well (Explore your queue, basically another recommended section), would be able to consume the content. Those who don't wouldn't ever have to see it. But that's not what Valve decided on. They decided to force everyone into this poorly designed, bloated paradigm, with all the extra clicking and scrolling it requires.

Anyway, I eagerly await UI mods from jshackles and the like.

That's actually Enhanced Steam doing that. It'll be fixed in an update I'm planning on pushing out later today. Valve doesn't even have that text there anymore which still kinda blows my mind as to how anyone finds it useful without it.
Haha, ok that clears it up then. Wait, so in vanilla Steam there are only images and no description? What is this, the nineties? Buying games only from images :p

Even if it's ESs doing, I'll never deactivate it! <3

Anyway, I have some suggestions for quite some time. I'll post them shortly in the ES thread.

zkylon

zkylewd
yay jashackles you fixed the header thingie

that was driving me nuts

edit: wait nevermind lol i was looking at community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom