• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I do think that if a person is not even willing to look at a game's store page, they don't deserve it. When applicable, the GAF OT for a game is linked, and those have tons of info and impressions from posters as to why it should be checked out. If you aren't in the mood to actually check out recommended games, why are you even bothering looking at the list in the first place? Makes no sense. I don't even understand the genre thing, because I have given games from genres I don't like a chance and ended up liking them. Things at least deserve a look at their mechanics to see how they might have put a good twist on the usual concept.

Any news about FF 4 difficulty? Hard is really that hard? I read this DS version is brutal, is this true?

I can't really speak for the port, but the original could have you stuck in a bad spot if you didn't do a little bit of grinding out, in terms of leveling.

I understand all of the reasons why people pick III (or VI, whatever) is often the game in the series that gets the full embrace, but I always had a soft spot for II. IV. Whatever.

Tizoc

Any news about FF 4 difficulty? Hard is really that hard? I read this DS version is brutal, is this true?

I've been playing it for 4 hours and as long as you grind for like 30 minutes and spam magic on all enemies, it's a cinch/walk in the park.

...at least it is for now :p

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of bluechox2, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 14 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bluechox2, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Eve Online Skirmisher Addon #2 -- MB-9FFAE1629DEF77AE
Gun Monkeys -- MB-1D0B5F1EB3372AD2
Eve Online Industrialist Addon #2 -- MB-66AB8856E8193136
Gun Monkeys #2 -- MB-B00A7118306EA3B5 - Taken by tioslash. 1 entrants total.
Eve Online 30 day Trial -- MB-2F89829093A453C2
Eve Online Industrialist Addon -- MB-C0BA06322BD87E7B
Eve Online Explorer Addon -- MB-4DF279A87320C73D
Eve Online Colonist Addon -- MB-276C67DCA27A6E70
Eve Online Explorer Addon #2 -- MB-4A091B7265973C8B
Eve Online 30 day Trial #2 -- MB-0B3FA24277E4EA4F
Eve Online Colonist Addon #2 -- MB-1EC28E8ACFBD1918
Canyon Capers #2 -- MB-4939EF20F13E6FA7
Canyon Capers -- MB-69993A32CE9CD064 - Taken by Ingueferroque. 1 entrants total.
Eve Online Skirmisher Addon -- MB-12A2459387F4EF9C

t1411506285z1.png

Li Kao

Hmm, at the risk of looking stupid, last time was ages ago like 10 minutes...
I have a 560ti. Tomorrow the 970 arrives at my home. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall drivers ?
Yup, the more I articulate this the more I think I'm stupid, hut hey, you never know.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

One Way Heroics -- MB-DDD3E65484E172EE - Taken by autoduelist
Shiny The Firefly -- MB-6339DF8BF0D2F746 - Taken by Ingueferroque

about to take it for another spin. like I said earlier it was nothing but first impression based on the tutorial and little else, and on the fact I bought it at launch which I never would before russian prices

About that, what's the best way to go about getting things at russian prices? Any downsides to it?

I have a 560ti. Tomorrow the 970 arrives at my home. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall drivers ?
Yup, the more I articulate this the more I think I'm stupid, hut hey, you never know.

Yes, it's usually recommended.

I think that would be a good idea.

Yakkue

I've been playing it on hard (19 hours in), and it's not really difficult at all. There were a couple of bosses where I needed a second try, but that's about it.

When can we expect a visual update for the Steam client? At least one to match the new store. I don't think I want them replace to the black completely, but it really clashes a bit with the new store.

Buying TF2 keys (either in the market/TF2 itself or from other people) and using said keys to trade for games in sites like the tf2outpost or dispenser.

Ah, figures it would be something like that. As long as I run the trader through steamrep and get the ROW version of the game I shouldn't have a problem being scammed or playing the game in the US right?

Ah, figures it would be something like that. As long as I run the trader through steamrep and get the ROW version of the game I shouldn't have a problem being scammed or playing the game in the US right?

You can also try hitting up the B/S/T thread here to find reputable sellers (that take Paypal). Alternatively, you can hit up Shadownet (starting tomorrow, I believe) and he should be able to hook you up with the cheapest price you can feasibly get without being a Russian seller yourself.

That's correct. Also, never trade for things that can't fit in the trade screen within Steam (codes, paying money for games)
If you were to have a problem doing that sort of trade Valve wouldn't do anything to help you. On the contrary, if you trade inside the trade screen for a game and it gets revoked, you will get your items back.

Edit: what electroflame says is also correct :)

Dr Dogg

Well that FF13 on Steam thread went places. Lightening has some 'fans' out there alright.

Going from a Fermi to Maxwell card I would as there's lots of stuff you'd be missing in your system as is. Personally I'd go grab the latest set (344.11 are the latest WHQL drivers on Nvidia's site at the mo) in prep for when your card comes.

You can also try hitting up the B/S/T thread here to find reputable sellers (that take Paypal). Alternatively, you can hit up Shadownet (starting tomorrow, I believe) and he should be able to hook you up with the cheapest price you can feasibly get without being a Russian seller yourself.

That's correct. Also, never trade for things that can't fit in the trade screen within Steam (codes, paying money for games)
If you were to have a problem doing that sort of trade Valve wouldn't do anything to help you. On the contrary, if you trade inside the trade screen for a game and it gets revoked, you will get your items back.

Edit: what electroflame says is also correct :)

Cool, thanks for all the advice guys. Now I can afford an even bigger library of games to not play! :D

Toshin

Thanks for the heads up. I got a code, but can't redeem it as I don't own the game yet.

Does the code have any expiration date that anyone knows of?

I don't think so?....they did reply to my question said no.... game looks really fun in full multi! could be a good steamgaf night game: )

YOU CAN COMBINE LOCAL AND ONLINE MULTIPLAYER?!?!??! yooooooooooooooooo..................

I know i probably missed earlier discussion, but i'm so happy Pier Solar is finally making it to Steam. I may double-dip when/if it gets cards or goes on sale, but i have the Genesis cart, and it really is a great throwback RPG

I hate surgeon simulator =p
Admit it. You don't like it because you have enough motoric problems of your own these days.

...too soon? :p
---
You hate dark humor.
I like bitchslapping my patient while throwing all his organs at his face.
Hey, man. I was afk, just read your steam message.
I watched a full playthrough of SS and it was funny but I wonder if it's fun to play alone when I already know everything about it and there is no funny commentary dubbed over it?
---
So for those of you that prefer highlighting vs those little pop out tags, I was thinking something along these lines:
Damn, this looks really nice.
---
I have question about bundle keys. Do they expire after some time or can I keep them indefinitely for activation at a much later time?

Tizoc

On this version you can choose Normal or Hard. I would play hard, but I really don't want stay on the game 200 hours just to grind all characters to 99 to pass stupid spot. Otherwise if Hard is the original difficulty, I can play with that.

Normal or Hard?

I don't recall the game having a Hard mode? It's only one difficulty.
Here's my advice. When you get Rydia and are at Kaipo, put her in back row and spam Ice Magic on all enemies. Grind outside Kaipo and close to the town of course. Get her to Lvl. 10 or whereabouts. Stop grinding when it appears you need 1500 EXP to level her up.
If you go up against a Sand Worm RUN, don't fight it, it'll waste you.

Grind for EXP only when you have 2-3 characters in your party, anymore and you'll be spending a looooooooooong time to level up.

Not all new party members are weak when you first get them though. Yang for example is strong and can waste enemy hordes quickly.

Don't be afraid to spend MP to finish enemy parties, magic is really strong and there's a save point nearby and with the game offering you tents for completing maps, and even from buying them yourself, you can easily replenish your MP.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I don't recall the game having a Hard mode? It's only one difficulty.

When you start a new game on the PC version, it asks if you'd like to play with "Normal" or "Hard" difficulty.

There's also an achievement for beating the game with hard difficulty.

chugen

hf
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (chugen, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Thomas Was Alone -- MB-82B1CC4E25FE4B8E - Taken by The Reloader. 1 entrants total.

Kanokare

That one guy's room...i'm pretty sure i saw a lightning pillow. I had to get out.

bro ain't got a problem with dat lightning love

It sounds to me like Lightning helped shape him into a better person. He's not hurting anyone and everyone has their hobbies. Some people collect games on Steam and never play them. I'd consider that pretty crazy.

Nabs

I don't get why the left side of the store page is so empty. Where are all the old community features? It was nice seeing what my friends were picking up and playing.

Ozium

new store makes it so I can't jump to a games forum to see if there's present issues or other news (EA games devs often post in forums or if a recently greenlit game was in a bundle for example)

volvo pls fix

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ok proper impressions on Gauntlet after a session with Frosty the Mage and Marco the Zombie Archer

Game is fun. It might be a lot of fun, depending on what you are looking for. The blurry look is still driving me nuts, but the floatiness of the controls isnt that bad.

We finished Act I... if you can call it that, 4 levels followed by a boss, seems to be 3 Acts in total. Game seems to revolve around getting gold and buying upgrades for repeat plays, on harder difficulties and whatnot. Doesnt seem to be a game for a single playthrough.

Im not sure how the lives system work, I think we were getting lives from the amount of kills we got, you lose a bit of gold when you die but you can respawn with little penalty.

Theres a neat perk system going on that gives you passive bonuses from shit you do, like brekaing stuff, dying, collecting gold, etc

Anyhoo, much better than my first impression earlier, and I look forward to playing it some more tomorow. Also, no idea how fun this would be solo, but I suspect not a lot. And you cant use the same characters, so someone WILL be stuck with the warrior in a 4 player game :p

Doesnt seem to have much of a penalty for joining other players games, like if they are in a prvious level or something, since like I said the game seems to revolve around getting gold to buy gear/relics and then upgrade them, and its quite expensive to do so.

edit: relics are basically spells you can use by collecting potions throughout the dungeons. For example I bought one where it summons a gargoyle to fight for you for a few seconds, you can have up to 2 relics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom