• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get why the left side of the store page is so empty. Where are all the old community features? It was nice seeing what my friends were picking up and playing.

Yeah that needs to come back. In fact I'd put that higher priority than curator stuff honestly. One nice change though is that they chnge the section on the app pages from "friends who own this game" to "friends who played this gme." weeds out a lot of the hoarders such s myself :p

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
God damn your fast!

Here is a screenshot of what the Half Life 2 page looks like now, for example. It shows off quite a few features - try to spot the difference(s)!

ZSU92qL.jpg

It sounds to me like Lightning helped shape him into a better person. He's not hurting anyone and everyone has their hobbies. Some people collect games on Steam and never play them. I'd consider that pretty crazy.
Hey, whatever floats his boat. Just saying that it was somewhat random when I saw it. It just kinda reminded me of that gif with the guy who was really into his DS virtual lady.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
man this is so stupidly long

I even cut the bottom part off, since it has reviews and such. To be fair, it's only a couple hundred pixels taller with Enhanced Steam (to account for the price history info).

Impressions for The Night of the Rabbit:

The graphics: It's a Daedalic game. If you know that name, then you know exactly what to expect and I don't need to say more. If you don't, well, get to know it, but for now, know that it's synonymous with "beautiful detailed environments and good-looking stylized characters." If you like adventure games, but you don't like old-school pixel stuff for whatever reason, this would be your go-to publisher, and Night of the Rabbit is true to form.

The music, sounds, and voices: It's mostly folksy and rustic to complement the largely pastoral atmospheres, but I did also like the one almost cyberpunky sting given when one futuristic-type character makes a few appearances. It was a cool contrast. Everything has music that makes it feel right. The sounds are all rather nice, but there's a lot of reuse from game to game and it's all blending together now. The voices are once again excellent. There's only one annoying voice in the lot (that being the leprechaun, who's not only shrill, but seemingly louder than anyone else,) but for only one bad sounding character out of a few dozen, that's a great track record. You can notice the improvement in voice acting quality and direction from game to game. Better than Deponia and way better than the Whispered World. And speaking of those two games...

The story: Oh great, another Daedalic game. Deponia's main character gave us a selfish and thoroughly unlikeable ass. The Whispered World gave us a depressing sad sack with a whiny voice. So what do we get this time? It's...a young British boy? And...he's actually LIKEABLE?! What the hell? They've finally done it! A story about someone who you want to see succeed!

Jeremiah "Jerry" Hazelnut dreams of being a magician, until a white rabbit wearing a waistcoat grants his wish and leads him through a portal in the forest into a land of...um...wonders. Okay, so the beginning seems a bit lifted from popular children's literature. BUT! This special land contains talking frogs on bicycles, and mice and squirrels! Oh...okay, so maybe that's lifted from a different source of children's literature. So not a lot of points for originality, but it's still a charming adventure as you guide Jerry through various worlds, meeting characters chock full of personality, learning spells, and eventually defeating some creepy antagonists. It's mostly happy, but there were two characters that were more depressing than they had any right to be: a mouse father asking questions of his vegetative son, then saying how he believes in the boy strongly and pins his hopes for retirement on him. I'm not sure if it was meant to be funny, but it just hit me out of nowhere and I'm frowning at the screen. Apart from that, I really enjoyed the story. A few nice touches with callbacks to Deponia, the Whispered World, and in one bizarre scene, Mario Brothers.

The puzzles and length: I finished the game with all achievements in 15 hours. So it's a good full-length adventure, but there is some padding in longish cutscenes and a "Go Fish" minigame. To get all the achievements, you need to defeat 16 different characters in the game. And there's an element of luck to it, so you might need to play characters more than once if they get lucky. So if you want that perfect game status, I hope you like Go Fish. In addition, for achievements you have to collect various things hidden in the screens. Some are missable, but it's carried over from game to game, so if you missed something from Act 1, you can reload a save, get it, reload to an act 2 save and have it still count.

The actual puzzles within the game are not bad, but a few are esoteric, and yes, there's the dreaded timed puzzle. Damn it, coffee, why do you gotta go cold so fast? I know what to do, just let me do it! There are also a few puzzles that have to be done in a certain time frame (night vs. day) and while some give you an indication that you're doing the right thing in the wrong cycle, some don't. But overall, not too terribly bad.

The verdict: Best Daedalic game I've played, and one of the best adventure games period. If you recently got this game in a bundle, absolutely play it. If not, there's a Daedalic package sale on Steam right now: 5 games (3 of which I've played and declared good) for 25 bucks. I would call that worth it for those 3 games alone.

zkylon

zkylewd
I even cut the bottom part off, since it has reviews and such. To be fair, it's only about 100px taller with Enhanced Steam (to account for the price history info).
yea you know i love you and our lives would be much worse without enhanced steam but this whole direction from steam into information supercharge is too much for me to handle sometimes

i hate that the web design world collectively decided that in spite of everyone having widescreens we should waste the side space with advertising

edit: how feasible would it be for you to do a "minimalist" enhanced steam. i'm not sure what i would want in it but i feel like i'd rather know less (maybe have icons for things that show the info when hovered on? i dunno)

jshackles

yea you know i love you and our lives would be much worse without enhanced steam but this whole direction from steam into information supercharge is too much for me to handle sometimes

i hate that the web design world collectively decided that in spite of everyone having widescreens we should waste the side space with advertising

In the update after the next one (probably next week) I'll be building in options where you can customize exactly what you'd like to see on these app pages. I'm also planning on folding in that "Write a review of Half Life 2" box because it's huge and in the way.

But yeah, I wish that they would have done more with the horizontal expansion of the store like they were initially working on. I guess it didn't pan out.

The main takeaway I got from all of this on the screenshot is that you know someone who somehow still has Half Life 2 on their wishlist.

Yeah, I was kinda shocked at that myself honestly.

zkylon

zkylewd
In the update after the next one (probably next week) I'll be building in options where you can customize exactly what you'd like to see on these app pages. I'm also planning on folding in that "Write a review of Half Life 2" box because it's huge and in the way.

But yeah, I wish that they would have done more with the horizontal expansion of the store like they were initially working on. I guess it didn't pan out.
that all sounds super good

sorry if i sounded unappreciative for a second there i hope u'll forgive me <3

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't understand how to incapacitate a ship in ACIV. I shoot them, but they just end up sinking. I don't get it. I've looked it up and I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Is there some special button I'm supposed to be pressing that doesn't completely sink the ship?

Nzyme32

Here is a screenshot of what the Half Life 2 page looks like now, for example. It shows off quite a few features - try to spot the difference(s)!

A better question would be what did you miss! One thing that I think would be handy for me at least would be during searches or viewing all deals / offers, to actually see the the percentage weighting of steam reviews rather than having to hover over it. Other than that and maybe being able to rearrange the front page, ES has it all

I don't understand how to incapacitate a ship in ACIV. I shoot them, but they just end up sinking. I don't get it. I've looked it up and I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Is there some special button I'm supposed to be pressing that doesn't completely sink the ship?

While I haven't played ACIV, maybe it has to do with aiming? Can you shoot at the sails or the rigging instead of the hull?

jshackles

that all sounds super good

sorry if i sounded unappreciative for a second there i hope u'll forgive me <3

Oh no, it's all good. <3 I agree with you completely that the Steam store page is like information overload x999.

A better question would be what did you miss! One thing that I think would be handy for me at least would be during searches or viewing all deals / offers, to actually see the the percentage weighting of steam reviews rather than having to hover over it. Other than that and maybe being able to rearrange the front page, ES has it all

I've been snooping around the code and I'm sure I'll have a couple of neat tricks up my sleeve once the dust settles. This next release though I'm really just focused on fixing the existing stuff.

algert

Banned
Those doing the artwork for the next OP should consider exploring the new blue theme, especially now that the gray hatching has been done away with.

Turfster

"Hey these F2P games came up in your queue; so we're going to suggest even more of them on your front page."
Volvo, pls

You have Bulletstorm on your wishlist, so we'll suggest Serious Sam to you.
No. Stahp.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
The more I look at the client when it's not maximized, I can't help but think that the entire store page would look somewhat better if it were all blue without the gradient effect.

The main takeaway I got from all of this on the screenshot is that you know someone who somehow still has Half Life 2 on their wishlist.

$1.49 or bust.

where is everyone getting these 6180 THE MOON keys? Still not up on my Groupees profile for me :(

The non-deluxe version was in the first Indie Royale Debut Bundle. It seems like Groupees just didn't send out the keys yet.

Seanspeed

Banned
While I haven't played ACIV, maybe it has to do with aiming? Can you shoot at the sails or the rigging instead of the hull?
Ok, I think that might have done the trick. Thanks.

Honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing. It gives me a bunch of directions and button prompts but I don't really understand a lot of them. Like 'Fire Swivels'. I press that button and it brings up this marker and I don't quite understand what its doing. I'm also supposed to have killed some people with some gun from the ship and I don't know gun they're talking about.

Anyways thanks, sorry for this.

derExperte

ok proper impressions on Gauntlet after a session with Frosty the Mage and Marco the Zombie Archer

Game is fun. It might be a lot of fun, depending on what you are looking for. The blurry look is still driving me nuts, but the floatiness of the controls isnt that bad.

Have you turned off FXAA?

Game is okay so far, I've played until the first boss with a group of randoms and it's nothing special, just mindless mass murder of standard fantasy enemies. Not much too it and I wouldn't recommend playing alone. If any GAFer needs someone, hit me up, I've been playing the valkyrie.

AsfaeksBR

After playing through the amazing F.E.A.R., started F.E.A.R. 2.
About half an hour in, I must say I'm really unimpressed. The AI ain't as good, the gunplay doesn't feel as good (the enemies are way more bulletspongy), the sound of the guns aren't as good as the first one, the pistol ain't as OP and good to use as it were. And Alma is trying to do jump scares. I don't knoe how well the atmosphere will be later on the game, but I can already feel it ain't as dark as the first one.

Saty

Shackles, do you know if the new design makes it easier for a potential feature of seeing how your friends tagged games?

Something to note about Gauntlet and looking a little blurry: for me it defaulted to the overscan'd 1080p resolution for some reason. So it was blurry. I set it to 1080p and it was fine.

Nevermind that for some reason it was off-screen by a little...

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Really like what I've played of Gauntlet so far. Uncomplicated slaughtering but it can be tricky enough, you have to be careful even on normal or you can get fucked over quite easily.

I like how in the second level it has you
running away/avoiding death but needing to get keys from mummies to open doors etc
. Just a fun way to mix things up.

Not a must buy but a fun time IMO. I'm also playing it solo and enjoying it as well, combat's nice and crunchy.

About half an hour in, I must say I'm really unimpressed. The AI ain't as good, the gunplay doesn't feel as good (the enemies are way more bulletspongy), the sound of the guns aren't as good as the first one, the pistol ain't as OP and good to use as it were. And Alma is trying to do jump scares. I don't knoe how well the atmosphere will be later on the game, but I can already feel it ain't as dark as the first one.

They focused more on the scares than the gameplay. It's basically FEAR without the excellence. And yeah, the AI is a step down as well. If anything, FEAR 2 shows us why FEAR is such an instant, incredible classic.

FEAR is probably one of the most unfortunate gaming series of recent memory...
  • FEAR: classic
  • FEAR 2: good, not great
  • F3AR: sweet jesus no
  • FEAR ONLINE: i have no words
  • ???FEARMOBA????: the only place left to go

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I game on Steam on a TV but it's been a while since I used Big Picture mode. That new conspicuous shortcut made me want to give it a try again and it's feeling even smoother than I remembered. I think I'll try to acclimate better with this mode now, the Home Button + RT shortcut for screenshots is too good.

jshackles

Shackles, do you know if the new design makes it easier for a potential feature of seeing how your friends tagged games?

Nope, as far as I know there is no available API to see this. It sure would be handy, though.

Shackles had some work cut out for him with this shit.

FTFY. I've actually got most of it done now. I'm going to port these changes over to Firefox and then hopefully I'll be ready to release by the end of the evening.

Miguel81

There are no better firefights than the ones you can experience in F.E.A.R. The guys at Monolith outdid themselves here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom