• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 - Make sure you take the time to thank Gabenbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

shandy706

I have never looked into these collectible cards on Steam. I literally know absolutely NOTHING about them.

Can someone point me in the right direction. I want to learn about them, how to get them, etc.

I don't see a link giving me all the details anywhere in the client.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Sorry, just found your semantics to be a bit stupid. I understand that games can be discounted to 75%, even 90%. That's why I asked if CoH: Complete would be included. I just didn't know if a game that was MODESTLY DISCOUNTED IN THE WORLD OF STEAM SUMMER SALES WHERE 50% IS LAUGHABLE (better?) would be further reduced or if that's where we'd expect it to end. Now I know that such games can be discounted once again, on top of the previous discount. Thanks

EVERY game has a chance of becoming a Daily Deal. Every single one of them. From 25% discounted games to 75% discounted games.

The thing is: Does it matter?

a 20 dollar game on a 50% discount is 10 dollars.
a 20 dollar game on a 75% discount is 5 dollars.
a 20 dollar game on a 80% discount is 4 dollars.
a 20 dollar game on a 85% discount is 3 dollars.

Steam discounts are almost never bigger than 75%.

In other words, if a game is currently discounted as 50% as it's default discount, can it go higher on a daily deal? Yes. Is it worth to wait for it until the last day of the sale? Yes, because it can go to 75%, which is a significant discount over the 50%.

If a game is currently discounted as 75% as it's default discount, can it go higher on a daily deal? Yes. Is it worth it? Depends on the price of the game, but on my example, imo, it's not worth to wait for it.

HOWEVER, this is all an useless argument, because if the game has it's base discount already applied (for instance, 50% on Company of Heroes), It'll have that price for the ENTIRETY of the sale. Meaning it doesn't make a difference if you buy it today or on the 22th (the last day of the sale): It'll have the same price.

The only LOGICAL THING to do is to take note of all the games you want to buy today, at the price they are today, and wait until the LAST DAY (because there's always a chance that the game will go on sale).

This obviously does not apply if you're going to live in a cave for half of the sale, where there's no internet, electricity, cell phones or smoke for you to communicate with anything: If that's the case, buy it now.

Otherwise, wait until the last day.

People should only be buying games now if they look WAY TOO GOOD (an Activision game with a 75% discount, something that was just released, as the Bioshock Infinite Season Pass with a discount, games that are part of the daily deals, games that are part of the flash deals, games which are obviously priced incorrectly). EVERYTHING ELSE (read: Games with regular discounts not part of any daily promotion) should be left to be purchased on the last day of the sale, again, because EVERY GAME HAS A CHANCE OF SHOWING UP AS A DAILY DEAL.

There, is my response less stupid now?

Slyjss

Another World Anniversary is 50 % right now, I wouldn't be surprised if it went 75% later. Super Hexagon is 66% (1 €), another game I'll end up buying no matter what. If it goes on a sale, it will be almost free.

Dustforce and Miasmata aren''t discounted =/

BLunted

Banned
Not worth it.

Wait for the Daily/Community/Flash

seriously? They would undercut themselves within days? Do flash sales ever become daily sales at cheaper prices?

I wanted to pull the trigger on Skyrim Ult Ed. and Defiance, but it's saying cannot purchase via browser, only via client. Guess I'll have to wait till I get home.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've bought two games and Steam has said it failed to do the transaction on both of them.
They ended up in my library anyways.

wat do?

Check with your payment provider to see if the money went through at its end.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Brave new world.

Yes. It adds more complexity and mechanics, something that Civ 5 sorely needed. And it expands the Civ's to include groups that normally get ignored. But, the improvements aren't revolutionary so I would wait until the DLC is discounted to a reasonable price.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
hD8D7B65E

This is gunna happen if you guys don't vote for Dishonored!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Dont remember anyone trying to grab all of the keys from my giveaways that I did via PM *shrug* People are easier convinced to abuse a "tool" I guess.

Damn son, is your name Sarah Connor? Because you're trying really hard to kill the ModBot.

Turfster

I'm participating in the thread and recommending games for others. I'm happy that I'm receiving the games. I didn't expect to receive them at all but I'm thankful I did. I'm not going to apologize for entering a giveaway fair and square, that's really low.
Nobody's forcing you to try for every single game though.
Self-restraint is a wonderful thing.

What a joke. Been a member for 9 years, I change my payment method the other day because I got a new card and now I have to sit 7 days with all marketplace transactions locked down. All of the cards and items I saved for the window of initial steam summer sale frenzy that are selling for stupid high but now coming down was lost.

Thanks for costing me money Valve without warning. Quality stuff for your loyal customers.

Free games!!!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Just Cause -- MB-1C6A856513ADEC42 - Taken by Kerub
Just Cause 2 -- MB-DC4FA901A2BE92A2 - Taken by Divius

73V3N

Banned
I sent a PM to ModBot to giveaway a game a few minutes ago but I haven't gotten anything back.

do I just wait? I'm almost sure I shouldn't send another PM.

Ferrio

Banned
Yes. It adds more complexity and mechanics, something that Civ 5 sorely needed. And it expands the Civ's to include groups that normally get ignored. But, the improvements aren't revolutionary so I would wait until the DLC is discounted to a reasonable price.

Well between CiV5 + Brave New World or Endless Space, which!

Read endless space was a lot more shallow.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm participating in the thread and recommending games for others. I'm happy that I'm receiving the games. I didn't expect to receive them at all but I'm thankful I did. I'm not going to apologize for entering a giveaway fair and square, that's really low.

You don't need to participate for taking advantage of the system, but if people notice a pattern they're just going to manually block you. It's like anything in life. You can take advantage of systems to the maximum and no one can blame you because after all the rules of the system are the rules of the system, who can blame you, but there's also a big benefit in being nice and polite and sharing and giving and taking care of others and not trying to self-maximize. Especially in situations where there's a very finite quantity of things and you getting something means someone else didn't.

Again, don't feel like you can't participate, just follow the chain from cause to effect, that's all.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
If people don't want the same people sniping all the keys, those giving away stuff should just set giveaways to prevent previous winners or recent winners from participating. Modbot is just a tool, there are many ways to use him! :D

I thought it was a her.

graywolf323

I'm waiting to recover my other account in order to put them on there. I'm not trading. I want them.

ah okay, good luck with that

Steam Support is at their slowest during the sales I swear (not that they are remotely close to timely with responses at any point)

Grief.exe

IS THIS REALLY TRUE FELLOW GAFFER?*

Sorry for the caps.

Guys

If The_Monk is angry

You know we have a problem

seriously? They would undercut themselves within days? Do flash sales ever become daily sales at cheaper prices?

I wanted to pull the trigger on Skyrim Ult Ed. and Defiance, but it's saying cannot purchase via browser, only via client. Guess I'll have to wait till I get home.

Both of those games are very underwhelming in my opinion.

I would suggest saving your money, up to you.

I can see why both games would be enjoyable though.

Salsa

I really think everything that needs to be said in terms of "WHAT DO" can be summed up with this

iQUuqIEuipOTf.gif

it aint hard but people are gonna keep asking

I guess the only thing you could add is that flash sales/community choice count as daily, in the sense that they will not go cheaper

don't starve 9$ worth it?

bioshock infinite 22.49$ isn't going to be cheaper right?

hotline miami was a no brainer :)

As a daily deal it is very unlikely to be cheaper (in fact, unless there is an error in pricing I think you'd be safe in saying outright that it won't be cheaper). Maybe it'll go for less elsewhere but buying from Steam you are pretty much safe to buy it now. I cannot comment on Don't Starve however.

chronomac

So what's the limit on free games we can grab from Mod Bot? I know that each giveaway has rules that might not stop me from getting games but what's the unwritten code for this?

JaseC

What a joke. Been a member for 9 years, I change my payment method the other day because I got a new card and now I have to sit 7 days with all marketplace transactions locked down. All of the cards and items I saved for the window of initial steam summer sale frenzy that are selling for stupid high but now coming down was lost.

Thanks for costing me money Valve without warning. Quality stuff for your loyal customers.

Quite a few people have found themselves in this situation recently. Valve ought to add a warning that changing payment methods will place a temporary restriction on the ability to market/trade items.

Sajjaja

Here's the thing. We don't believe you

Unhide your inventory.

And your basis for that is? He took the keys fair and square. He shouldn't have to be restricted from an unrestricted giveaway. Besides, he can't redeem keys for trade so inventory has nothing to do with it.

stufte

I own just cause 2 and I've rented just cause 1 for xbox and would advise everyone to stay away. Actually the skydiving is slightly better in jc1 everything else is just godawful though.

This is a bad opinion. Also there is an amazing Multiplayer mod for JC2. So I'd definitely pick it up if you can, it's a fun game.

JaseC

As a daily deal it is very unlikely to be cheaper (in fact, unless there is an error in pricing I think you'd be safe in saying outright that it won't be cheaper). Maybe it'll go for less elsewhere but buying from Steam you are pretty much safe to buy it now. I cannot comment on Don't Starve however.

This is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom