• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
First card I get, I'm going to corner the market.

I'm going to fix him good.

capturecqss2.png

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Actually they're too old to have metacritic scores.

HEY EVERYONE.

What are the most well renouned old Tomb Raider games?

Karu

Voted for Orcs Must Die 2. Def on my wishlist!

You need a budget on the Steam Summer Sales is like a bad joke. In more than one way...

Smash88

Banned
Maybe it's partly because I don't have many PC games to compare it to, but I played System Shock 2 for the first time this year and thought the first 80% or so was fantastic.

And by all means I hope those that do enjoy it can, but for a vast majority (speculating here) it most likely will not be. We all have our own opinions, this is just what I feel. But if someone can find enjoyment from it still in this day and age, and then by all means enjoy it.

Sorry I shit on everyone's parade. I'll stop now.

That's like saying the love for Deus Ex is fueled by nostalgia. -_-;

I may come to that conclusion as well - any game over 10 years old will have a large nostalgia factor. Hell Doom started me on my way to gaming along with Rogue Spear on Mplayer (which then became Gamespy) and I can definitely see my love for those games. But if I compared it today? Pretty bad.

Just my opinion though. Feel free to disagree.

When I first played 2033 I HATED the gunplay, but on Rangermode I enjoyed it. Did they switch it up for Last Light or is Rangermode pretty much mandatory if I didn't enjoy the previous gunplay?

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Whatever you vote for don't let it be Deadlight.

Actually they're too old to have metacritic scores.

HEY EVERYONE.

What are the most well renouned old Tomb Raider games?

Total Biscuit has been making suggestions on the Steam deals, and he said he thought Anniversary and Underworld were the best 2.

I've barely touched any of them though, so I have no opinion.

And by all means I hope those that do enjoy it can, but for a vast majority (speculating here) it most likely will not be. We all have our own opinions, this is just what I feel. But if someone can find enjoyment from it still in this day and age, and then by all means enjoy it.

In all seriousness, a few mods, a few option tweaks and it still looks really good. It also still sounds AMAZING and the gameplay, whilst more complicated then some will be used to, is still extremely engaging.

You can check out the gaf thread from the GOG release to see just how many people picked it up and were still blown away.

Everybody owes it to themselves to try playing it.

Total Biscuit has been making suggestions on the Steam deals, and he said he thought Anniversary and Underworld were the best 2.

I've barely touched any of them though, so I have no opinion.

I agree. Anniversary is the best one...Underworld is worth getting for the water levels (I'm a sucker for well done water in games).

liezryou

Snatched tomb raider collection, borderlands 2 + season pass and hitman absolution for the price of a full game. Not bad Steam, not bad!

Also street fighter x tekken is surprisingly good! Enjoying it more than MK9 and the other street fighter.

Really SFXT better then MK9?

Saty

For some reason i still have a Super Monday Night Combat still in my inventory and apparently gift-able even though the game is now F2P.

Is it ethical to gift it through Modbot?

ZenaxPure

Put my vote in for OMD2, more people need to play that game so Robot will give us an OMD3 finally. One of my most desired products ;_;

ShizWhiz

Neo Member
I like 1, 2, and 3

Yeah they're good, but I feel as if they haven't really aged all that well. The camera works quite badly in comparison to many other games available now, I'd pick up Anniversary if it were up to me in place of the first.

hlhbk

Look like I hit a nerve here. I think to play it in this day and age it really is not something I would waste money on. The only reason I would re-buy doom today would be due to nostalgia, otherwise the game by today's standards is simplistic and pretty bad.

No I haven't played it, but I've seen footage and people streaming it. No thanks. Too old.

I am sticking with my conclusion that this love is largely fueled by nostalgia.

<3 you too baby. Good night.

The graphics are a slight turn off, but with mods I could accept it, but based on what I've seen it's not something that IS AMAZING I MUST HAVE IT. It's more to the nostalgia factor - I grew up with this fantastic game from my childhood/teen days and I can enjoy it once again - playing it once and never touching it again.

The fact you just called the greatest fps of all time"simplistic and pretty bad" completely discredits your opinion on games. Fps today can't touch the greatness of Doom. Suggest you visit http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=617771

Shadowplay1979

Gold Member
I refuse to get Witcher 2, oh i know i'll really like it, i's just that 3 years later and i still havnt beaten that damn dog in Witcher 1.

Wok

Do not forget to redeem Anomaly.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot recently [since the start of beta testing for ModBot], you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Anomaly Warzone Earth -- MB-DBC25E37E149DA1C
Anomaly Warzone Earth -- MB-23795569E72146FB

krishian

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl -- MB-C399A32CFBDDD72C - Taken by TUSR
Metro 2033 -- MB-E10924A161707026 - Taken by Spiffy_1st
Remembered I have some ancient keys lying around, hope they still work

Smash88

Banned
The fact you just called the greatest fps of all time"simplistic and pretty bad" completely discredits your opinion on games. Fps today can't touch the greatness of Doom. Suggest you visit http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=617771

But you omitted the part where I said by today's standards. You can not in good concious tell me that Doom is a better FPS than some of the other big hitters out there. Also I feel that most of the love games get is derived from a nostalgic factor. That thread proves my point. Of course this may not apply to everyone, but to a large majority I feel it does.

<3

Yep, everyone's entitled to their opinions. Melee is a little rough to be sure, and of course the models and animations don't hold up well when compared to today's standards. But the story is told in an interesting way (which carried over to Bioshock apparently, for those who are familiar with that title), the sound design is stellar with headphones on, and I think there's a lot of tension throughout the game. Can it be difficult? Sure. But you also have quicksave at your disposal, and can tweak certain settings to adjust the game to your liking. Overall, I think it's worth a shot even if it is an older game. You might not think so, and that's fine. But for $2.50 I'd encourage anyone who might be on the fence to jump in.

You can even idle for cards if you don't like it
if you absolutely must
!

Fair points. I think if people like what they saw, then they should by all means purchase the game - sorry if I pissed off some people this is just how I feel about it.

Why should I buy System Shock 2 when Bioshock is so much more deep and pretty with art. If I wanted an action packed RPG I'd play Dragon Age II, not some old relic. God you guys and your nostalgia.

Exeunt

Yep, everyone's entitled to their opinions. Melee is a little rough to be sure, and of course the models and animations don't hold up well when compared to today's standards. But the story is told in an interesting way (which carried over to Bioshock apparently, for those who are familiar with that title), the sound design is stellar with headphones on, and I think there's a lot of tension throughout the game. Can it be difficult? Sure. But you also have quicksave at your disposal, and can tweak certain settings to adjust the game to your liking. Overall, I think it's worth a shot even if it is an older game. You might not think so, and that's fine. But for $2.50 I'd encourage anyone who might be on the fence to jump in.

You can even idle for cards if you don't like it
if you absolutely must
!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Did you buy one of the CAG Amazon bundles? It was $2 as a part of those.
Crazy.

Ah, that was probably it. Obviously not the main reason I bought the bundle I guess since I didn't remember.

On another note, playing some Sniper Elite Nazi Army - pretty fun actually.

Atruvius

For those that have only played System Shock 2 recently, is it actually any good or is it too old and clunky to be enjoyable with out nostalgia goggles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom