• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to fix him good.

capturecqss2.png

You and me, we're gonna Boardwalk Empire the shit out of this.

Awww yiss.

Motha. Fuckin'. System Shock 2.

Damage so far:

Saints Row 3 Season Pass
Saints Row 3 Shark Attack DLC
System Shock 2

I'll probably buy Half Minute Hero too since it's 75% off, and maybe some BL2 DLC.

Gozan

System Shock 2 has cards? Gonna tripledip and craft me a badge!

Hey, hasn't every Community Choice so far gotten cards?

Salsa

alright it's bad-er

I like it, but it's plagued with issues and the combat is a turd. Ive heard the "ugh I wanna play Witcher 2 but I need to finish Witcher 1" thing too many times and it just aint worth going through it if what you really wanna do is get to something better

hlhbk

But you omitted the part where I said by today's standards. You can not in good concious tell me that Doom is a better FPS than some of the other big hitters out there. Also I feel that most of the love games get is derived from a nostalgic factor. That thread proves my point. Of course this may not apply to everyone, but to a large majority I feel it does.

<3

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...xrkSkaFPzDN8oH6k6SMR84Q&bvm=bv.48705608,d.dmg

Take a look at that link. Fps today suck ass and don't even come close to Doom.

ShizWhiz

Neo Member
alright it's bad-er

I like it, but it's plagued with issues and the combat is a turd. Ive heard the "ugh I wanna play Witcher 2 but I need to finish Witcher 1" thing too many times and it just aint worth going through it if what you really wanna do is get to something better

I just couldn't keep playing because of the combat system, I got so frustrated with it.

But you omitted the part where I said by today's standards. You can not in good concious tell me that Doom is a better FPS than some of the other big hitters out there. Also I feel that most of the love games get is derived from a nostalgic factor. That thread proves my point. Of course this may not apply to everyone, but to a large majority I feel it does.

Not comparable.

If you want to blame nostalgia, it is because games with the depth of SS2 just simply are not made anymore. They should be, because they are great. A game made with the graphics of Bioshock Infinity and the systems of SS2 would be brilliant. But it doesn't exist, so you play SS2 because it is still the best game that you can play.

Exeunt

For those that have only played System Shock 2 recently, is it actually any good or is it too old and clunky to be enjoyable with out nostalgia goggles?

I played it slowly and methodically, and I had a blast for the majority of the game. The end stretch is probably what holds up the worst, and you'll know when you hit it because the whole game shifts rather dramatically. Melee combat also isn't that great, and if you try to play it as a straight shooter you might run into problems as well (especially with the respawning enemies). I think it's great.

Valygar

I got Hitman : Absolutions. Time to test my new GTX760, I've been with a 9600GT for a looooong time.

I've chosen Orcs Must Die 2... if it gets the sale, I can try to convince some friend to pick it up and then maybe I can play the damn game.

Nice steam sales so far, I've not bought much but there are lots of games that were not part of sales before.

Mordeccai

Man I can't justify getting SS2 when I already own it from the gog sale lol. Somebody just gift it to me and put me out of my ambivalent misery >.<

alright it's bad-er

I don't get it because the stuff people complain about in TW1 I really liked a lot.

Like the first Act, that shit was awesome. Loved the lazy pace and how things seemed NQR and gradually got worse and worse. Then the second Act with the murder mystery, I wasn't even mad at the swamp.

Game was boss all around. I liked the combat too

liezryou

I can understand the alure of older games from childhood (chrono trigger, DD vs BT, etc.) but SS2 kinda looks like something i would have a hard time playing with those graphics.

Deques

For every time you launch the game or in general?

in general. you will never be able to collect enough cards for a badge from drops in any game. If you want the badge you need to buy the rest of the cards.
And also you can get duplicates. So you need to sell or trade them for other cards

Smash88

Banned
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...xrkSkaFPzDN8oH6k6SMR84Q&bvm=bv.48705608,d.dmg

Take a look at that link. Fps today suck ass and don't even come close to Doom.

That's very subjective and objective. Anyone can argue those points. I can argue that games back then suck, even though I grew up with them and it would hurt me to say that. But when I realistically compare today's gameplay/graphics/story they easily beat out older games. If you want to, look at The Last of Us, blows anything out of the water, especially back then. I mean I argue anything by using terrible games. If we compared Call of Duty 4 (which redefined FPS) to Doom - we all know that CoD would win.

Not comparable.

If you want to blame nostalgia, it is because games with the depth of SS2 just simply are not made anymore. They should be, because they are great. A game made with the graphics of Bioshock Infinity and the systems of SS2 would be brilliant. But it doesn't exist, so you play SS2 because it is still the best game that you can play.

It is and that is your opinion, the same as my post is my opinion. We can go in circles about this - let's just agree to disagree.

Good night. 5:30am. <3

Raytow

Man I can't justify getting SS2 when I already own it from the gog sale lol. Somebody just gift it to me and put me out of my ambivalent misery >.<

Double dip, maybe that will convince Levine he can make another shock without the shootbanger corridor template.

-MD-

Games that have been completely funded by cards:

System Shock 2
Scribblenauts
Half Minute Hero
Nimbus
Fly'n
Mcpixel
They Bleed Pixels
Penny Arcade 4
Resident Evil 5
Tomb Raider 1 + 2
Mutant Blobs
Tropico 4
Field Runners 2
To The Moon
Noitu Love 2

$0 spent lol

Valygar

Combat in Witcher 1 was really weird, but once I got the mechanics, it was fun and still tactical.

And besides, I think there is a mod to change Witcher 1 combat so it's more like Witcher 2 right?

Pandemic

Games that have been completely funded by cards:

System Shock 2
Scribblenauts
Half Minute Hero
Nimbus
Fly'n
Mcpixel
They Bleed Pixels
Penny Arcade 4
Resident Evil 5
Tomb Raider 1 + 2
Mutant Blobs
Tropico 4
Field Runners 2
To The Moon
Noitu Love 2

$0 spent lol

Wait what, you can use the steam cards on games..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom