• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxeMan

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

AI War Collection -- MB-FF22AC899D7006F4 - Taken by ricochetguro

Hopefully someone likes this. Can whoever gets it let me know if it's any good? I'll add it back to my wishlist and pick up at a later date (my backlog is too big)

Munin

Right, you never know who wants free stuff, I guess.

Can't someone buy it and gift it to you? I would, but I need to watch my finances closely. :p

THe thing is I want to use the funds in my Steam wallet and not touch Paypal for this...I don't understand why ican't pay with those funds. Stupid Steam

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm currently on holiday in a different country and wanted to buy System Shock 2 with my Steam wallet funds but it won't let me :( it just keeps saying:

"The current payment method does not match the country of the store. The cart has been converted and the updated total will show on the next page. You may also review your cart here, or change your payment method below."

but I can't actually continue. When I click "Continue" the same message keeps popping up. I'm guessing by the time I get a response from Supprt SS2 will cost more again :(

By default, there is a geo-IP check that ensures your current IP location matches that of the store you're using and your nominated payment method. You can contact Support prior to jet-setting and have this restriction lifted, but unless you still have a few days remaining, this is of little use to you given that a sale is currently underway and there'll undoubtedly be a large ticket backlog.

Edit: Have someone gift it to you in return for PayPal funds.

derExperte

THe thing is I want to use the funds in my Steam wallet and not touch Paypal for this...I don't understand why ican't pay with those funds. Stupid Steam

That's what always happens when someone is in a different country. Steam notices, probably even PayPal won't work because your account is foreign.

Munin

By default, there is a geo-IP check that ensures your current IP location matches that of the store you're using and your nominated payment method. You can contact Support prior to jet-setting and have this restriction lifted, but unless you still have a few days remaining, this is of little use to you given that a sale is currently underway and there'll undoubtedly be a large ticket backlog.

But I don't understand, it says it converts to the current Store appropriate to where I am, and the prices change, and I just want to use wallet funds, not a payment method that is actually registered to a specific country (i.e. PayPal). Unless your point is that my Wallet funds too are only specific to one country...

Edit: And I've bought games while here via Paypal and it works fine. Just not the Wallet. That's what I don't get

JaseC

But I don't understand, it says it converts to the current Store appropriate to where I am, and the prices change, and I just want to use wallet funds, not a payment method that is actually registered to a specific country (i.e. PayPal). Unless your point is that my Wallet funds too are only specific to one country...

Steam looks at your IP and determines your location: if it doesn't match that tied to both the store you're using and the country of your payment method, then you're unable to finalise the transaction.

Edit: Oh, I noticed your edit. I'd imagine Wallet funds fall under this restriction, but is PayPal not an option?

Kifimbo

No NDA.

This is what it says: To get you out of the rookie blues, we’re giving you and a partner review codes for Steam. (Additional platforms available by request.)

So you can freely talk about the game before it's out ? You can publish your review ? No restrictions ?

Salsa

guys if the dude is a working reviewer to the point where he gets copies of unreleased games, I think he probably knows what an NDA is :p

Munin

Steam looks at your IP and determines your location: if it doesn't match that tied to both the store you're using and the country of your payment method, then you're unable to finalise the transaction.

Edit: Oh, I noticed your edit. I'd imagine Wallet funds fall under this restriction, but is PayPal not an option?

Well I just tried via Paypal..and now that doesn't work anymore either even though it used to :( Just says "an error with your transaction" or something now. Sigh well if anyone wants to gift it to me, I'll paypal you the money back manually.

Looking through my inventory, I've found a no longer available Total War Mega Pack gift. The pack includes:

Empire: Total War™, Empire: Total War™ - Elite Units of America, Empire: Total War™ - Elite Units of the East, Empire: Total War™ - Elite Units of the West, Empire: Total War™ - Special Forces Units & Bonus Content, Empire: Total War™ - The Warpath Campaign, Medieval II: Total War™, Medieval II: Total War™ Kingdoms, Napoleon: Total War - Imperial Eagle Pack, Napoleon: Total War™, Napoleon: Total War™ - Coalition Battle Pack, Napoleon: Total War™ - The Peninsular Campaign, Rome: Total War™, Rome: Total War™ - Alexander

If anybody wants to trade, I'd be interested in trading for the following:

Rise of the Triad + Tomb Raider: Anniversary

-or-

Kerbal Space Program + Tomb Raider: Anniversary

PM if interested!

derExperte

Well I just tried via Paypal..and now that doesn't work anymore either even though it used to :( Just says "an error with your transaction" or something now. Sigh well if anyone wants to gift it to me, I'll paypal you the money back manually.

Steam blocks you for a few minutes if too many tries to buy something failed.

JaseC

Ah, bugger. :( I'd send a ticket to Support saying that you're travelling and would like to purchase games (likely no explicit mention will be made of the aforementioned geographical check being lifted), just so in the future you're unlikely to encounter this issue again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom