• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this SS2 talk makes me wonder, maybe Stump is just a puppet made by ModBot. You see how all the edits are made by Stump with ModBot's manipulation? Who's pulling what strings?!

Anyway

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

System Shock 2 -- MB-8E4DE87922C664C8 - Taken by Kandrick

Onionkid

I can't believe I'm about to say this...but Bad Rats isn't the worst thing I've ever played? Hell, that's not even likely the worst game in my steam library. What is this feeling?

PriitV

I can't believe I'm about to say this...but Bad Rats isn't the worst thing I've ever played? Hell, that's not even likely the worst game in my steam library. What is this feeling?

Run the same simulation for 3 times. you get 4 different results.

ShizWhiz

Neo Member
Was gonna start playing Far Cry 3 and UPlay is down. Fucking hell Ubisoft. Fix the crap or stop using your crap.

I was actually going to buy FC3 but I noticed that it had UPlay, which is notoriously terrible. I remember trying to play Splinter Cell and because it couldn't contact the servers, I couldn't play any of it. Terrible DRM practices.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
toddhunter, who is basically the Noble Patron to my broke-ass artisan, gifted me a copy of System Shock 2. Whenever someone gives me anything, even in real life, I try to give them feedback about what it means to me, I guess because my parents were never into, uh, anything I was into (books, games, movies, whatever) so mostly when they gave me gifts it felt like I gave them a shopping list and they spent a bunch of money without realizing what they were actually getting me. Anyway, here's what I sent to toddhunter:

Ah yes, System Shock 2. I don't remember how I first played it, I think pirated as a teenager when it came out. I remember the bugs, the crashes... but most of all, I remember those few few stages before the Shodan reveal... the initial training portion, which I thought was one of the best ways I'd ever seen RPG elements disguised and inserted into a shooter... the wake-up. The first few floors.

The thing that stands out most in my mind is maybe 15 minutes into the game when you see the first ghost hallucination running up to a door. And then I remember the text logs. It reminded me of Myst, actually... entering this dead world, having no idea what happened to all the people and having only these artifacts to tell you glimpses. I didn't see another game do it until Doom 3 (now with audio!!!!)

All of this to say that System Shock 2 made a very strong impression of me, even then when I thought a lot less about the games I played. Thank you for the gift. I eagerly await a replay

(P.S. I still mod out item breakdown because having to deal with the unending pile of low durability broken shotguns you get in the run of the game is a pain in the ass LOL)

I'll also note that the guy(s) who released the Steam/GOG release of SS2 are apparently currently working on (or maybe working on securing the rights to?) Full Throttle:
S3F3Rnf.gif

... and possibly one of PC gaming's true holy grails, Harlan Ellison's I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream--a game that is currently only available from contacting Harlan Ellison and paying like $30 to get it on CD by mail order.

So, there's that.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)

THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN TRYING TO TELL PEOPLE!!!!

/* why am I still awake??? */

SparkTR

toddhunter, who is basically the Noble Patron to my broke-ass artisan, gifted me a copy of System Shock 2. Whenever someone gives me anything, even in real life, I try to give them feedback about what it means to me, I guess because my parents were never into, uh, anything I was into (books, games, movies, whatever) so mostly when they gave me gifts it felt like I gave them a shopping list and they spent a bunch of money without realizing what they were actually getting me. Anyway, here's what I sent to toddhunter:

I'll also note that the guy(s) who released the Steam/GOG release of SS2 are apparently currently working on (or maybe working on securing the rights to?) Full Throttle:
S3F3Rnf.gif

... and possibly one of PC gaming's true holy grails, Harlan Ellison's I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream--a game that is currently only available from contacting Harlan Ellison and paying like $30 to get it on CD by mail order.

So, there's that.

Wouldn't the Full Throttle deal also means the entire Lucas Arts catalogue? Also what happened with that NOLF image they put on Facebook, is that still a thing?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So I should get System Shock 2 then? I know people hold it up as a classic game, but it seems like the same story got put into Bioshock. Now I enjoyed the hell out of Bioshock, but is it worth getting this to play an older game with a similar story?

FACE

Banned
So I should get System Shock 2 then? I know people hold it up as a classic game, but it seems like the same story got put into Bioshock. Now I enjoyed the hell out of Bioshock, but is it worth getting this to play an older game with a similar story?

Yes, because it is much better than Bioshock.

kami_sama

Bought SS2 and modded it. But hell, the interface is so tiny on 1440p (Supersampling FTW) :lol
Have to fix it. Either way, the game is completely clean. No aliasing at all.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wouldn't the Full Throttle deal also means the entire Lucas Arts catalogue? Also what happened with that NOLF image they put on Facebook, is that still a thing?

It's possible they're just listing the games they're negotiating for. I hope they get all of them. I've always thought that in these situations it seems pretty obvious that there's money to be made for whoever can spend a while tracking down the right stakeholder to talk to and offering them a fair deal. It just takes some effort.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Bought SS2 and modded it. But hell, the interface is so tiny on 1440p (Supersampling FTW) :lol
Have to fix it. Either way, the game is completely clean. No aliasing at all.

What mods did you install and where did you get them? Will probably pick this up then.

derExperte

Bioshock has the same story as System Shock 2? No.

After you play through it, it will effectively feel like the plot of Bioshock implanted into a cyberpunk setting.

It's definitely worth playing, because unlike Irrational's recent output SS2 will actually feel like it respects your intelligence with what it asks of you.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wouldn't the Full Throttle deal also means the entire Lucas Arts catalogue?

That's a bit of a stretch. It's much easier to negotiate the re-release of one IP than several. (Remember that all LucasArts properties are now owned by Disney.)

Also what happened with that NOLF imagine they put on Facebook, is that still a thing?

NDS is looking into the matter, but PC Gamer explored NOLF earlier in the year and came up with nothing, so keep your expectations in check: basically, Monolith didn't own the IP, so it didn't transfer to WB when the latter purchased the former, and Acti claims to have no idea where the rights are (even though Fox Interactive -> Vivendi Games -> Acti-Blizz).

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I'll also note that the guy(s) who released the Steam/GOG release of SS2 are apparently currently working on (or maybe working on securing the rights to?) Full Throttle

I was hoping for SS1 :(

M.D

Ah yes, System Shock 2. I don't remember how I first played it, I think pirated as a teenager when it came out. I remember the bugs, the crashes... but most of all, I remember those few few stages before the Shodan reveal... the initial training portion, which I thought was one of the best ways I'd ever seen RPG elements disguised and inserted into a shooter... the wake-up. The first few floors.

The thing that stands out most in my mind is maybe 15 minutes into the game when you see the first ghost hallucination running up to a door. And then I remember the text logs. It reminded me of Myst, actually... entering this dead world, having no idea what happened to all the people and having only these artifacts to tell you glimpses. I didn't see another game do it until Doom 3 (now with audio!!!!)

All of this to say that System Shock 2 made a very strong impression of me, even then when I thought a lot less about the games I played. Thank you for the gift. I eagerly await a replay

(P.S. I still mod out item breakdown because having to deal with the unending pile of low durability broken shotguns you get in the run of the game is a pain in the ass LOL)

So, there's that.

I'M CALLING BISH

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)

S3F3Rnf.gif

So, there's that.

You described the appeal of Myst very well, and yet so obviously. Maybe it was because I played the game when I was a preteen, but somehow I wasn't able to point out what it was about the "dead" Myst world that intrigued me so much.

Later I found out that Myst was made by a few guys in a garage in my hometown. So cool.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
After you play through it, it will effectively feel like the plot of Bioshock implanted into a cyberpunk setting.

It's definitely worth playing, because unlike Irrational's recent output SS2 will actually feel like it respects your intelligence with what it asks of you.

Hmm... ok. It just looks a little janky. But I suppose it's only £1.74.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom