• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

liezryou

Since this game's so good I'll do one more, really just one more, but now going out to spend the day with the wifey, good luck (for real this time!)

Fuck me sideways. God damn you people spamming f5 on this thread for free games. I want to see what all the fuss of SS2 is all about. Thanks for the giveaway mate!

Crayons

Banned
I've been idling for so long and no new card drops. My steam profile says I've been playing for 55 hours which is funny because I never play games.

derExperte

Probably Tiberian Sun (my fav C&C). 98/99 was an AMAZING time for gaming.

Ewww, Tiberian Sun was the Ultima IX of C&C, one of the hugest disappointments ever after all that hype and almost everyone hated it back then afair. The game basically killed Westwood (I liked Nox and Renegade though).

This thread moves at a good clip, but as a longtime lurker (summer sale 2011 was my first), I wanted to say thanks to everyone here for there being such a fantastic Steam thread and community here on GAF. It helped me avoid the easy traps of Steam sales (wait for the daily deals), find new and amazing games that would have otherwise fall under my radar (too many to list), and save money through the amazing work members like xelios put in to cataloging the different sales going on at GMG, Amazon, etc. Going from the Potato Sack bundle as my first purchase to 650 games, I've enjoyed reading these threads immensely during the last couple of years.

You guys are pretty awesome.

But enough effusing! I've got System Shock 2 to buy.

Prophane33

Ewww, Tiberian Sun was the Ultima IX of C&C, one of the hugest disappointments ever after all that hype and almost everyone hated it back then afair. The game basically killed Westwood (I liked Nox and Renegade though).

Well, in the interest of full disclosure, I was never a huge fan of C&C but I was super into Starcraft (and other sci-fi type RTS games) so Tiberian Sun struck a certain chord with me.

For anyone that is on the fence for Tomb Raider, I highly highly highly recommend it. Very similar to uncharted but way better gameplay IMO. I usually don't finish any of my games anymore. I think Tomb Raider is the only game I actually finished so far this year.

Tenrius

So that's what I got so far without actually spending a single dollar:

Clive Barker's Jericho
System Shock 2
Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Ys Origin
Ys I and II Chronicles
XCOM: Enemy Unknown: Slingshot DLC
Surgeon Simulator

All for the trading cards money, gotta love trading cards. Exactly 400 games now, too. I feel like I'm about to run out of options of what to buy during these sales since I already have most of the older games I actually want to play, but then again it's a good thing.

wait for the daily

I think it was a daily sale on the first day, but it was only 20% off then.

Fuck I would buy it at this price if Ranger Hardcore wasn't another 5 bucks on top.

Will just wait for the Winter Sale when it has all the DLC included for this price or cheaper.

Really sucks because I want this game more than any other, but it is the one I am not buying because of dumb dlc shit.

Chojka

More to come later~

ModBot said:
I am giving away two Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

FTL -- MB-076CB124D2A9F226 - Taken by Overdoziz
System Shock 2 -- MB-B4726755623A2CD6 - Taken by BHK3

So that's what I got so far without actually spending a single dollar:

Clive Barker's Jericho
System Shock 2
Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Ys Origin
Ys I and II Chronicles
XCOM: Enemy Unknown: Slingshot DLC
Surgeon Simulator

All for the trading cards money, gotta love trading cards. Exactly 400 games now, too. I feel like I'm about to run out of options of what to buy during these sales since I already have most of the older games I actually want to play, but then again it's a good thing.

Same for me.
Made ~ $15 on trading cards, average about 35-40 C per card.

Got many games. Gave at least 2 away. Like a sauce.

Sweet. Woke up and remember to look into System Shock 2, seen it was $2.50 - easy purchase.

What is the current concensus of the current community choice games? Which should I vote for - as I have no interest in any of the three.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Can I give all my cards to someone and get me something for the value of my cards?
If I could get Ys Origins or Oath To Felghana with those cards would be nice but I cant sell stuff yet until August 11

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sweet. Woke up and remember to look into System Shock 2, seen it was $2.50 - easy purchase.

What is the current concensus of the current community choice games? Which should I vote for - as I have no interest in any of the three.

Mark of the Ninja or Orcs Must Die! 2. Toss a coin if you have to. :p

This thread moves at a good clip, but as a longtime lurker (summer sale 2011 was my first), I wanted to say thanks to everyone here for there being such a fantastic Steam thread and community here on GAF. It helped me avoid the easy traps of Steam sales (wait for the daily deals), find new and amazing games that would have otherwise fall under my radar (too many to list), and save money through the amazing work members like xelios put in to cataloging the different sales going on at GMG, Amazon, etc. Going from the Potato Sack bundle as my first purchase to 650 games, I've enjoyed reading these threads immensely during the last couple of years.

You guys are pretty awesome.

But enough effusing! I've got System Shock 2 to buy.
Welcome aboard.

CEeYxaX.gif

Divius

For some reason I have such terrible lag while playing Chivalry, which kinda sucks for a timing-based combatsystem.

edit: nvm, my wireless is just acting up again

FACE

Banned
Be sure to thank JakeD :)

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Nightsky(Thank JakeD) -- MB-4FA5BA699529BD42 - Taken by Blablurn

Prophane33

Can I give all my cards to someone and get me something for the value of my cards?
If I could get Ys Origins or Oath To Felghana with those cards would be nice but I cant sell stuff yet until August 11

Why don't you sell your cards and then buy the game you want? That's what I did.

Dmax3901

I'm off to bed fellas, looking forward to waking up for another day of missing modbot giveaways due to his state of the art cloaking technology.

Ya, for some reason up to this point I've never played it.

If you can, try and find "noob" servers where people are generally lower ranked. Might be difficult given the smaller playerbase these days. Some of the upgrades that most people will have now really give you an edge. Almost everyone uses magnum ammo, for example, which is a universal upgrade in damage.

I still hop on from time to time to play this game. It's such good fun. Out of all the shooters I've played, this one feels best.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Why don't you sell your cards and then buy the game you want? That's what I did.

Steam isnt letting me sell them cause Im new and there needs to be a period of 30 days before being able to sell content. Thats why giving it to someone seems to be the only option at the moment.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Added a rule to ModBot for NOWINNERSDAILY--this will be useful. A lot of people yesterday used NOWINNERSWEEKLY or NOWINNERS and found it was hard to actually give anything away that way since so many giveaways have occurred during this sale. NOWINNERSDAILY protects you from frequent claimers while still being realistic for the sale. Or you can feel free to keep giving away stuff with no rules whatsoever if you don't want to.

I also slightly adjusted the timing thresholds for all giveaways:
If your number of wins in the last week is--
0-8: 30 minutes between win eligibility
9-14: 12 hours between win eligibility
15+: 72 hours between win eligibility

For reference, the stats look like:
504 people claimed at least one key
102 people claimed 4 or more keys
79 people claimed 5 or more keys
59 people claimed 6 or more keys
43 people claimed 7 or more keys
33 people claimed 8 or more keys
27 people claimed 9 or more keys -- top 5% of all claimers
21 people claimed 10 or more keys and hit the first level of throttle
4 people claimed 15 or more keys and hit the second level of throttle (including our dearly departed) -- top 1% of claimers

So you can see based on the actual statistics those throttles are designed to be fair and only impact the top claimants. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this causes the people hitting the timing thresholds. Honestly, they won't impact anyone outside of the sale period because this level of giveaway is unlikely to be sustained. Hope you understand. And also I'll note that I don't plan on verifying for anyone how many giveaways they've taken/if they are being affected by the timing window.

The only programming job I plan to do today is to allow users to send a PM to ModBot requesting everything they've won. This will be a low priority operation, designed so that if ModBot fails to send a PM during a busy time that the user can still claim their key later and I don't need to do manual support on those cases.

MikeDown

Banned
Steam isnt letting me sell them cause Im new and there needs to be a period of 30 days before being able to sell content. Thats why giving it to someone seems to be the only option at the moment.
Same here, well it was cause I temporarily disabled Steam gaurd and they are like nope sorry you can't do that. :(

When you send a gift through e-mail, does the person receiving the gift have the option to add add it to their inventory in addition to redeeming?

derExperte

Added a rule to ModBot for NOWINNERSDAILY--this will be useful. A lot of people yesterday used NOWINNERSWEEKLY or NOWINNERS and found it was hard to actually give anything away that way since so many giveaways have occurred during this sale. NOWINNERSDAILY protects you from frequent claimers while still being realistic for the sale.

I also slightly adjusted the timing thresholds for all giveaways:
If your number of wins in the last week is--
0-8: 30 minutes between win eligibility
9-14: 12 hours between win eligibility
15+: 72 hours between win eligibility

Perfect. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom