• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

liezryou

Added a rule to ModBot for NOWINNERSDAILY--this will be useful. A lot of people yesterday used NOWINNERSWEEKLY or NOWINNERS and found it was hard to actually give anything away that way since so many giveaways have occurred during this sale. NOWINNERSDAILY protects you from frequent claimers while still being realistic for the sale. Or you can feel free to keep giving away stuff with no rules whatsoever if you don't want to.

I also slightly adjusted the timing thresholds for all giveaways:
If your number of wins in the last week is--
0-8: 30 minutes between win eligibility
9-14: 12 hours between win eligibility
15+: 72 hours between win eligibility

For reference, the stats look like:
504 people claimed at least one key
102 people claimed 4 or more keys
79 people claimed 5 or more keys
59 people claimed 6 or more keys
43 people claimed 7 or more keys
33 people claimed 8 or more keys
27 people claimed 9 or more keys -- top 5% of all claimers
21 people claimed 10 or more keys and hit the first level of throttle
4 people claimed 15 or more keys and hit the second level of throttle (including our dearly departed) -- top 1% of claimers

So you can see based on the actual statistics those throttles are designed to be fair and only impact the top claimants. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this causes the people hitting the timing thresholds. Honestly, they won't impact anyone outside of the sale period because this level of giveaway is unlikely to be sustained. How you understand.

The only programming job I plan to do today is to allow users to send a PM to ModBot requesting everything they've won. This will be a low priority operation, designed so that if ModBot fails to send a PM during a busy time that the user can still claim their key later and I don't need to do manual support on those cases.

Post the wall of shame! Edit: I'm also fairly certain your throttling (at least the 30 min one) is not working for some reason. I somehow managed to win 2 games within 11 mins yesterday.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Stump, just when I think ModBot can't be further improved, you manage to add/fix something else and make it even better. You're doing a great service.

By which timezone does NOWINNERSDAILY function?

My assumption would be that it's a 24-hour timer.

Added a rule to ModBot for NOWINNERSDAILY--this will be useful. A lot of people yesterday used NOWINNERSWEEKLY or NOWINNERS and found it was hard to actually give anything away that way since so many giveaways have occurred during this sale. NOWINNERSDAILY protects you from frequent claimers while still being realistic for the sale. Or you can feel free to keep giving away stuff with no rules whatsoever if you don't want to.

I also slightly adjusted the timing thresholds for all giveaways:
If your number of wins in the last week is--
0-8: 30 minutes between win eligibility
9-14: 12 hours between win eligibility
15+: 72 hours between win eligibility

Great, thanks!

chugen

where are the names!
uWO2Ipf.png

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Anybody else missing cards from their inventory? I have a few that dropped, and show up on the Badges page, and showed at the top of the Inventory as "New items" but don't actually show in the inventory itself.

I'm happy with this:

6gj9k7z.jpg

The guy that bought it then put it back up for like $12, then dropped it to $10 then $7... He still hasn't sold it yet and the last one sold for $3.58.

Petrie

Banned
If you win something and you just add it to your inventory instead of library, you should be smacked

I never add anything to my library anymore until the moment I'm going to play it, I'd rather keep the option to give it to someone else if circumstances change.

liezryou

where are the names!
uWO2Ipf.png

Seriously. What if I want to give something away with a blacklist of anyone with 9 or more games taken >.<.

Maybe make a tag like NOWINNERS#, where # is the maximum amount of giveaways a person could have won to enter this won. e.g. NOWINNERS5 = anyone who won 6 giveaways cannot enter.

derExperte

Anybody else missing cards from their inventory? I have a few that dropped, and show up on the Badges page, and showed at the top of the Inventory as "New items" but don't actually show in the inventory itself.

Have you closed the new items popup? I may be imagining things but I think cards only appear after you do that.

I never add anything to my library anymore until the moment I'm going to play it, I'd rather keep the option to give it to someone else if circumstances change.

Don't do that with the games you get through giveaways. Don't take them if you don't want them.

Dragon

Banned
so about that rpg maker..

Is it actually possible to make a decent enough game on it to sell to publishers/what not?

To the Moon is a pretty interesting game built upon a previous version. There was a thread somewhere about other games using it...

oipic

Interesting figures! Some have done very well for themselves, that's for sure, but it'd be nice to think those folks are among the most generous contributors also (right?). One thing is certain: GAF as a collective is very generous - thanks guys.

Still on for zero games claimed from modbot f yea.

sorry guys im am american we dont take handouts

Clearly, nor do we Australians. Wall of shame comprised almost entirely of Europeans, then.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Don't do that with the games you get through giveaways. Don't take them if you don't want them.

Yeah, I haven't taken a single key yet as I can't in good conscience claim a game that'll just be added to my backlog. That said, I do regret hesitating when FF7 was on offer a few days ago (which is to imply that I would have actually installed and played it).

Petrie

Banned
derExperte70316591 said:

I haven't taken a single game, but if I do win won, you aren't going to tell me what I should do. If I'm interested in a game but don't get a chance to play it immediately, then I'll inventory it. That way if my interest wanes later on, I can pass it on to someone else who will appreciate it.

After purchasing SS2 this morning and winning a code for Hotline Miami yesterday, my little steam library is slowly growing - now have a total of 9 games - hope to reach double digets before the end of the sale.

Thinking of picking up a copy of Half Life 2 or another "classic".

I bought that Surgeon Sim game just for the hell of it and I can't do a thing! I managed to get a few achievements and took out some organs and broke some ribs but thats about it. Seems like a game that would be wacky with Kinect.

I also bought that McPixel game which gave me a few laughs. That alone made it worth the buck I paid for it.

liezryou

Yeah, I haven't taken a single key yet as I can't in good conscience claim a game that'll just be added to my backlog. That said, I do regret hesitating when FF7 was on offer a few days ago (which is to imply that I would have actually installed and played it).

Wha? When was this? FF7 was on sale?!?!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm NEVER going to play System Shock 2.

But it was such a nice port to modern machines, I kinda want to reward that...

hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom