• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you setup Enhanced Steam for Euros? It only lists what I've payed in USD.

1kgs4y.png

Bought 700 games through the store and it only counts 2 of them.

Prophane33

Enhanced Steam.

Anyone else completely give up on finishing your backlog? I'm pretty sure I'm going to die before I start most of these games.

A backlog is meant to be increased, not decreased...or at least telling myself that is how I sleep at night.

Where is shows the post count on the main Gaming Dicussion page, click on the number.

Click the number of replies next to the thread:
juXzhmK.png

see on the right there, that number.

Click that. It'll popup a list of people who posted in the thread.

Or you can search thread -> advanced search -> posts by this user -> your username, but beware that search is delayed a few minutes so it might not be up to date.

Thank you both for answering. So I just took a look and over half of the posters in the thread have 5 or less posts in the thread - is that common?

DTKT

Does Steam Enhanced calculates the sale price for the games or the full price when it shows the amount spend on your account?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Not sure if I want system shock 2. What makes it great?

It's a sci-fi FPS with heavy RPG and horror elements, and one of the first great FPS games that emphasized atmosphere, environment, backstory, and text. In many ways, it presaged some of the major changes in FPS games today: we now expect an FPS to have characters, to have lore (often delivered in the form of audio diaries), to have politics or social issues, to have RPG elements or progression, to have different playstyles.

Put it this way:
BioShock is basically System Shock 3, made by many of the same people but they didn't have access to the name anymore. (dead city, research system, diaries,
third act collapse LOL
)
Dead Space started off as a System Shock game. (dead city, horror elements, crafting/upgrades as a proxy for RPG mechanics)

You can go back and forth on whether System Shock 2 is better than those two games, in many ways the answer is yes, but the point is that they are direct descendants of it. And if those two games represent the kind of things you like in an FPS, and you can stomach older graphics and textures, I think you'll find a lot to love.

Thank you both for answering. So I just took a look and over half of the posters in the thread have 5 or less posts in the thread - is that common?

In something like a sale thread where not much discussion is going on it's common. Or in a breaking news thread where someone posts a reaction and leaves. But in something like the normal Steam threads, no, it's mostly a community of regulars.

catabarez

While I wait for Modbot to fix itself, first person to say where the character in my avatar is from (sans hat and glasses) gets the last copy of System Shock 2.

Oneironaut

Neo Member
Enhanced Steam.

Anyone else completely give up on finishing your backlog? I'm pretty sure I'm going to die before I start most of these games.

I've got over 500 unfinished games in my backlog right now. I won't ever finish every one, and there are a few that would just be a chore to finish, but I enjoy going back and finishing a game now and then. I just have an extremely large selection to choose from now.

Grief.exe

It's a sci-fi FPS with heavy RPG and horror elements, and one of the first great FPS games that emphasized atmosphere, environment, backstory, and text. In many ways, it presaged some of the major changes in FPS games today: we now expect an FPS to have characters, to have lore (often delivered in the form of audio diaries), to have politics or social issues, to have RPG elements or progression, to have different playstyles.

Put it this way:
BioShock is basically System Shock 3, made by many of the same people but they didn't have access to the name anymore. (dead city, research system, diaries,
third act collapse LOL
)
Dead Space started off as a System Shock game. (dead city, horror elements, crafting/upgrades as a proxy for RPG mechanics)

You can go back and forth on whether System Shock 2 is better than those two games, in many ways the answer is yes, but the point is that they are direct descendants of it. And if those two games represent the kind of things you like in an FPS, and you can stomach older graphics and textures, I think you'll find a lot to love.

In something like a sale thread where not much discussion is going on it's common. Or in a breaking news thread where someone posts a reaction and leaves. But in something like the normal Steam threads, no, it's mostly a community of regulars.

Solid explanation by stump.

I will say that the community has provided some good texture mods. They stay true to the source material while bringing the game up to modern standards to a certain degree.

This is my first Steam sale. Since it began, I've spent a total of USD 123.40.

How am I doing, SteamGAF?

And thanks to everyone who recommended YNAB! This should help in the next week
not bloody likely

A backlog is meant to be increased, not decreased...or at least telling myself that is how I sleep at night.

The way I feel about it is someday my kids will inherit my "backlog baton" and possibly play many games I never got around to playing.

As I have previously stated in this thread, I am pretty much a noob to the PC gaming scene, but been a console gamer for a long time - most of my backlog consists of physical copies of games - many still even in the shrink wrap.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Japanese style or themed games don't deter her. She just wants a good story. Either with the feels or just a captivating story.

Will try out all the suggestions. She's currently playing psychonaughts for the first time ever haha. Pretty funny to watch.

I try not to buy games that I realistically will never play, but at these prices I don't mind if most some end up unfinished. For console/higher-priced games I'm stricter with myself.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Stump did I break Modbot? It ain't sending me a message to post here.

No, that was me, and I broke it doing some code for the other part of ModBot unrelated to giveaways. Unfortunately and in part out of necessity I'm working with live ammo here. The bot has code to basically self-heal if I break something in the code (everything is done as modules, modules reload periodically and keep reloading if they detect a code error) but it's not perfect.

That being said, I've fixed it now and it still isn't sending you the PM and I'm not seeing any record of it. Do you want to wait 2 or 3 minutes and send the same PM again? Thanks.

Turfster

Oh dear lord, there is an Autumn sale?! :eek:

There's only 24 hours in a day right? :(

Thanks Turfster.

I think.

:p

You're welcome. ;)
It gets better after you get through your first sale, trust me.
When the next one rolls around, you'll be all "okay, I spent a beeljon dollars on the last sale and own pretty much everything I want. I can wait for the things I don't have yet to drop below 10$"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom